New Zealand Warriors 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

New Zealand Warriors 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Warriors: 2021 round 1 predicted team

The Warriors have a surplus of NRL-ready forwards despite losing four over the off-season with recruits Addin Fonua-Blake and Ben Murdoch-Masila set to form an imposing new starting front-row pair. Ex-Dragon Euan Aitken slides straight in at centre and Wayde Egan is currently in front of Karl Lawton for the No.9 jersey but either could start the year there.

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitu'a
3. Peter Hiku
4. Euan Aitken
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Chanel Harris-Tavita
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Ben Murdoch-Masila
11. Eliesa Katoa
12. Tohu Harris
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Karl Lawton
15. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
16. Leeson Ah Mau
17. Kane Evans

Others: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Rocco Berry, Josh Curran, Jackson Frei, Macello Montoya, Jack Murchie, Bayley Sironen, Sean O'Sullivan, Hayze Perham, Adam Pompey, Iliesa Ratuva, Paul Turner

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/28/war ... cted-team/
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: New Zealand Warriors 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

Amazing by these guys again, and so glad to hear that RTS is with them. Will be my 2nd favourite team this year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/03/wer ... rn-to-aus/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Surprised they have to come across so early! I suppose if I read the article it would tell me why.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:Surprised they have to come across so early! I suppose if I read the article it would tell me why.
aussie contingent was here, could only train separately for so long.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Makes sense. I wasn’t thinking that some would be based in Aus.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I’m surprised they didn’t base themselves in Redcliffe. They have an affiliation with them now and QLD is less effected by lockdowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote:I’m surprised they didn’t base themselves in Redcliffe. They have an affiliation with them now and QLD is less effected by lockdowns.

The Central Coast location was probably pretty good for them. Out of Sydney, but very close. Would cut their travel to away games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One of the NRL’s best players set to quit rugby league in bombshell code switch

Warriors superstar Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is reportedly set to quit rugby league and jump codes to fulfil a dream of representing the All Blacks at a Rugby World Cup.

The fleet-footed New Zealand international will play the 2021 NRL season and then end his contract prematurely to join professional rugby, most likely with the Auckland Blues.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7561309205

RTS set to leave Warriors at end of year for All Blacks World Cup goal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/28/rts ... -cup-goal/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:One of the NRL’s best players set to quit rugby league in bombshell code switch

Warriors superstar Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is reportedly set to quit rugby league and jump codes to fulfil a dream of representing the All Blacks at a Rugby World Cup.

The fleet-footed New Zealand international will play the 2021 NRL season and then end his contract prematurely to join professional rugby, most likely with the Auckland Blues.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7561309205
no great shock

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck granted early release by New Zealand Warriors for code switch

Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will leave the club at the end of the season to try his hand at rugby union, the superstar fullback confirmed on Saturday.

The 2018 Dally M Player of the Year and two-time Dally M Fullback of the Year is aiming to secure a spot in the All Blacks side ahead of the 2023 Rugby Union World Cup.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/30/tui ... by-switch/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Well like a lot of people I thought this was the yearly RTS to union dance. Huge loss.
Warriors had an outside chance at an 8 spot and now 2021 is already a write off.
Imagine signing to coach the Warriors and then having your best player leave.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:Well like a lot of people I thought this was the yearly RTS to union dance. Huge loss.
Warriors had an outside chance at an 8 spot and now 2021 is already a write off.
It's yet to be proven he isn't a dud coach IMO. I think that is a bigger factor in writing off 2021.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

At least RTS understands he has to earn the AllBlack jersey.. kudos to the Kiwis.

Wendell Sailor, Matt Rogers, Lote Tiquri were promised Wallaby jerseys..boooo !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: January 30, 2021, 11:52 am
zim wrote:Well like a lot of people I thought this was the yearly RTS to union dance. Huge loss.
It's yet to be proven he isn't a dud coach IMO. I think that is a bigger factor in writing off 2021.
Yeah that's also possible. Just really rubs it in now.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Says he's leaving at the end of the season. RTS not the kind of guy to phone it in.

They've got a year to look for a replacement in junior ranks or the market. They'll be able to splash cash if they go to market, he was on near a million. If they go to a junior they'll be able to strengthen another position.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Ah well I completely missed that.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Reckon they’d look at bringing CNK home?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They'd be silly not to enquire. They can offer him a good pay bump.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jury out as new coach Brown unleashes 118kg beast to fix glaring problem: Warriors’ Best 17

No side had to face as many obstacles as the Warriors did in 2020.

WARRIORS’ BEST 17

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitu’a
3. Euan Aitken
4. Peta Hiku
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Chanel Harris-Tavita
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Leeson Ah Mau
11. Ben Murdoch-Masila
12. Tohu Harris
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Bayley Sironen
15. Eliesa Katoa
16. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
17. Kane Evans

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3b21a3b693
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

a far better pack this year than the warriors have had for years with Fonua-Blake and BMM joining, although apparently Tohu Harris wants to play in the middle so i'd say you'll se Katoa or Murchie start on the edge.
backs are okay, the success of there season will probably come down to whether Harris-Tavita and Egan are good enough to direct the team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tohu Harris re-signs with New Zealand Warriors until end of 2024

The Warriors' reigning player of the year Tohu Harris has given the club a huge boost on the eve of the 2021 NRL campaign by recommitting until the end of the 2024 season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/toh ... d-of-2024/
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Great re-signing. Should be captain next year.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Noticed Murchie didn’t make the team or extra reserves.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Just realised Nathan Brown has done the same thing he did at Newcastle: buy a star young fullback and attempt to build a team around him

Based on limited showing, it could turn out to be a good idea
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea Walsh looks a real natural talent. Probably need a couple of halves though especially if harris-tavita doesnt kick on.
Nikorima likely to be back in queensland next year
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well he seems to have equally rave reviews as Sam Walker. Not a bad start
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

He looks really good on the weekend for an 18 year old playing his first game. Not surprising to see him named at 6 this week.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand Warriors re-sign Jazz Tevaga until end 2023

Warriors forward Jazz Tevaga has knocked back interest from rival suitors to re-sign until the end of 2023. The off-contract 25-year-old Samoan international has been rewarded for his efforts throughout the 2021 season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/03/jaz ... ntil-2023/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak makes mid-season switch from Canterbury Bulldogs to New Zealand Warriors

Canterbury Bulldogs back Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is making a mid-season switch to the Warriors. The Bulldogs announced on Monday the Kiwi international would join the Warriors with immediate effect, on a deal lasting to end 2024.

Read more: https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2021/06/ ... 1590402064

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/21/dwz ... ntil-2024/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Chad Townsend switches from Cronulla Sharks to join New Zealand Warriors for rest of season

Chad Townsend will help the Warriors push for the finals after being granted an immediate release by the Sharks. The 2016 premiership winner is set to form a short-term halves partnership with Kodi Nikorima before joining the Cowboys on a three-year deal starting in 2022.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/22/tow ... -warriors/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Johnson returning to Warriors: Kiwi star signs for 2022

The Warriors have scored a massive signings coup with one of their favourite sons, Shaun Johnson, returning to the club in 2022. Warriors CEO Cameron George on Friday revealed the long-time fan favourite has agreed on terms to return to the club on a two-year deal from next season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/25/joh ... -for-2022/
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Lodge signs with Warriors as Red Hill shake-up continues

Kevin Walters and Ben Ikin continue to make big changes at the Broncos with the latest seeing Matt Lodge to join the Warriors effective immediately.

Walters had said earlier in the week that Lodge would be staying put, declaring the Broncos would finish the season on a high.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 447d062564

Broncos pay Lodge's way to Warriors as Capewell commits: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/01/bro ... d-of-2024/

Lodge joins Warriors

Front rower Matt Lodge is joining the New Zealand Warriors immediately after agreeing terms on a deal to the end of the 2022 NRL season.

The 1.91m, 117kg prop will join his new team in Terrigal this weekend after being released from the last year and a half of his contract with the Brisbane Broncos.

“Matt will add more experience and real size to further boost our front row resources,” said Warriors head coach Nathan Brown.

“We like what he has to offer us as a big body in the middle of the park with his ability to play big minutes and his impressive great work rate. He’ll be a great addition to our squad.”

Matt will add more experience and real size to further boost our front row resources

Lodge becomes the Warriors’ third midseason signing in a matter of days after winger-fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and halfback Chad Townsend were secured last week. Last Friday the club announced fan favourite Shaun Johnson had been signed on a two-year deal from next season while Melbourne Storm prop Aaron Pene is also joining the club next year.

After earlier acquiring rookie fullback Reece Walsh from the Broncos, the Warriors have also extended contracts for Tohu Harris, Jazz Tevaga, Adam Pompey, Rocco Berry, Bunty Afoa, Josh Curran and Taniela Otukolo during the course of the season.

“Matt is still only 25 but he has real experience and gives us exactly what the coaching staff want in the middle,” said Warriors CEO Cameron George.

We’ve been active in the market working as hard as we can to strengthen our squad in the short-term while also looking beyond to ensure we’re positioned to build our club to where we want it to be

“Our recruitment team and coaching staff have identified areas they want to bolster right now while we’re also well-positioned with some great young prospects coming through for the long-term future.”

A former Penrith and Melbourne NYC player, Lodge will arrive at the Warriors after performing consistently well for a Brisbane side which has been challenged throughout the season.

After injury limited him to just six appearances last year, he has played 12 games this year averaging 12 runs, 129 metres and 25 tackles a game. He also has 41 tackle breaks and 26 off loads.

MATT LODGE

Born: May 31, 1995
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Clubs: St Patrick’s Blacktown (Sydney)
Position: Prop
Height: 191cm
Weight: 117kg
Previous Clubs: Wests Tigers (2014-2015), Brisbane Broncos (2018-2021)
NRL Debut: Wests Tigers v Penrith Panthers, Leichhardt Oval, Sydney, July 6, 2014 (Rd 17)
NRL Games: 77 (2014-2015, 2018-2021)
Wests Tigers: 12 (2014-2015)
Brisbane Broncos: 65 (2018-2021)
NRL Points: 16 (4 tries)
Representative: Junior Kangaroos (2014-2015)

Warriors media release
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Lodge actually playing well recently. Took him a while to regain form after his knee injury last year. Surprised they are offloading him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: July 1, 2021, 5:26 pm Lodge actually playing well recently. Took him a while to regain form after his knee injury last year. Surprised they are offloading him.
He's captain of the worst club culture they've ever had. All sorts of responsibility lay at all levels of their administration for that but as far as the playing group are concerned, he bears some responsibility for that. If you want to start fresh and give Kev a clean slate to build from... moving Lodge on starts to make sense.

It's a bit of a sign it is the coaches squad now, not the players- who haven't really aimed up on or off the park. I don't think it'd be purely a footballing issue. Also helps clear the decks of all their "overs" players (with Milf and others going too). The idea that guys are looking around sideways at who is on 1 million and so I must be worth xyz... it was a cancer for them imo, that issue.

Agree he produces what you might want from your big body prop- offloads and yards with the ability to break the odd tackle too making him better than most going around.

I'd say they'd be looking to sign an experienced prop now. Papa will be in their sights. Maybe Tapine (although I think he'd fall right into their current issues instead of driving standards).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: July 1, 2021, 6:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 1, 2021, 5:26 pm Lodge actually playing well recently. Took him a while to regain form after his knee injury last year. Surprised they are offloading him.
He's captain of the worst club culture they've ever had. All sorts of responsibility lay at all levels of their administration for that but as far as the playing group are concerned, he bears some responsibility for that. If you want to start fresh and give Kev a clean slate to build from... moving Lodge on starts to make sense.

It's a bit of a sign it is the coaches squad now, not the players- who haven't really aimed up on or off the park. I don't think it'd be purely a footballing issue. Also helps clear the decks of all their "overs" players (with Milf and others going too). The idea that guys are looking around sideways at who is on 1 million and so I must be worth xyz... it was a cancer for them imo, that issue.

Agree he produces what you might want from your big body prop- offloads and yards with the ability to break the odd tackle too making him better than most going around.

I'd say they'd be looking to sign an experienced prop now. Papa will be in their sights. Maybe Tapine (although I think he'd fall right into their current issues instead of driving standards).
I would say a big factor with his current form is knowing he's our the door and playing for a new deal elsewhere.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.