South Sydney Rabbitohs 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

South Sydney Rabbitohs 2021

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney Rabbitohs: 2021 round 1 predicted team

Fit-again duo Patrick Mago and Braidon Burns will push for spots while a few of the reserve forwards are in line for the final two bench positions. The addition of Jai Arrow and departure of Bayley Sironen could mean Cam Murray has to play on an edge.

1. Latrell Mitchell
2. Alex Johnston
3. Dane Gagai
4. Campbell Graham
5. Corey Allan
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Thomas Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. Tevita Tatola
11. Jaydn Su'A
12. Cameron Murray
13. Jai Arrow

14. Liam Knight
15. Keaon Kolomatangi
16. Hame Sele
17. Jacob Host

Others: Braidon Burns, Jed Cartwright, Joshua Cook, Troy Dargan, Brock Gardner, Dean Hawkins, Patrick Mago, Steven Marsters, Taane Milne, Mark Nicholls, Jaxson Paulo

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/24/sou ... cted-team/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: South Sydney Rabbitohs 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Mansour's move to South Sydney Rabbitohs opens door for Penrith Panthers to retain Stephen Crichton

Josh Mansour has delivered an emotional farewell to Penrith teammates as his move back to his junior club South Sydney positions the Panthers to ramp up its retention bid for boom centre Stephen Crichton.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/13/man ... retention/

Bunnies pounce on star Panther brutally axed 48 hours after grand final loss: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d1cee6fbc8

Rabbitohs confirm Mansour two year deal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1a24927c38

South Sydney Rabbitohs club statement

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are pleased to announce the signing of Australian Kangaroos, Lebanese Cedars and New South Wales State of Origin representative player Josh Mansour on a two-year contract for seasons 2021 and 2022.

Mansour, 30, will return home to Rabbitohs this season, the Club at which he played 48 games in the National Youth under 20s competition in 2009 and 2010, playing in an NYC Grand Final alongside team mate Adam Reynolds. Mansour was granted a release from the Penrith Panthers to join the Rabbitohs immediately.

Mansour has played seven Test matches for Australia, three Test matches for Lebanon and three State of Origin games for New South Wales, as well as representing City Origin over the past nine seasons. Mansour has also played 158 NRL games since making his debut for the Panthers in 2012, won the RLPA Rookie of the Year award in the same year as well as the Dally M Winger of the Year Award in 2016. He played on the wing in the 2020 NRL Grand Final for the Panthers.

Mansour is a natural leader and regarded as one of the most passionate and respected players in the game today.

Rabbitohs Head of Football Mark Ellison said Mansour will bring more than just his football ability when he returns to the Rabbitohs.

“He is a high work rate winger who is one of the competition’s leading players in terms of kick return metres, as well as a renowned finisher.

“More importantly he is a quality team and club man that inspires his team mates and brings energy to any team of which he is a part.

“He knows what our Club is about and respects the tradition and history of South Sydney, as well as the community that the Club represents.

“We reluctantly let Josh go in 2012 after playing a key role in our 2010 NYC Grand Final team and it is fantastic to have this opportunity to bring him back to South Sydney for 2021.

“That opportunity to bring him back would not be there if it wasn’t for Corey Allan moving on, another player who, like Josh in 2012, is moving on for opportunities elsewhere.

“We’re really excited to bringing a player of Josh’s ability and character back to our Club and we can’t wait to see him earn the right to pull on the Rabbitohs first grade jersey that eluded him a decade ago.”

Biography
Name Josh Mansour
Date of Birth 17 June 1990
Place of Birth Sydney, NSW
Position Wing
Height 183cm
Weight 98kg
Junior Clubs St Johns Eagles, Kingsgrove Colts
Previous Clubs Panthers (2012-20)
NRL Games 158 (all for the Panthers)
NRL Points 296 (from 74 tries)
NRL Debut Panthers vs Storm, Panthers Stadium, 5 May 2012 (Rd 9)
NRL Grand Finals One (2020)
Rep Honours Seven Tests for Australia (2014, 2016-17); three Tests for Lebanon (2009); three State of Origin matches for New South Wales (2016); one game for City Origin (2016); Australian Prime Minister’s XIII (2014)
Awards Dally M Winger of the Year (2016); RLPA Rookie of the Year (2012)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Benji Marshall and Wayne Bennett set for reunion at South Sydney Rabbitohs

Benji Marshall and Wayne Bennett are set to reunite once more at Redfern with the champion playmaker in negotiations with South Sydney for a 2021 swansong. Marshall has been floated a one-year contract by the Rabbitohs and is poised to take up the NRL lifeline.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/27/ben ... t-reunion/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Premiership or bust as Latrell returns in star-studded backline: Rabbitohs best 17

South Sydney will be one of the premiership favourites heading into 2021 with a strong and deep squad, devastating backline and master coach Wayne Bennett leading the way.

RABBITOHS BEST 17

1 Latrell Mitchell
2 Alex Johnston
3 Dane Gagai
4 Campbell Graham
5 Josh Mansour
6 Cody Walker
7 Adam Reynolds
8 Tom Burgess
9 Damien Cook
10 Tevita Tatola
11 Jaydn Su’A
12 Jai Arrow
13 Cameron Murray

14 Liam Knight
15 Jed Cartwright
16 Keaon Kolomatangi
17 Mark Nicholls

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 61ec28aec2
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Benji's back: Marshall signs one-year deal with South Sydney Rabbitohs

The Rabbitohs have thrown Benji Marshall a career lifeline and signed the former Tiger to a one-year deal for 2021.

“I have a lot of gratitude to get the opportunity to play again in the NRL," Marshall said on Friday. “I couldn’t sleep last night, I was that excited. It felt like it was the first day at school.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/29/ben ... rabbitohs/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That’s a puzzling signing. I took it as gospel that Robinson would sign him as an insurance policy at Easts considering they’re in a window and their halfback will be one of Lam/Keighran/Walker.

I’m very surprised Marshall is taking up his last contract at a team he has no chance of playing in bar injury.

I love these legends of the game playing on. But very, very surprised a 36 year old Benji Marshall is signing himself up to a year of NSW Cup.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It is probably more a mentor role, but then why didn't they get him into their coaching setup? I guess it gives them the flexibility to play him if Reynolds goes down and he (Reynolds) tends to be broken down by the end of each season.

I know he wouldn't have a huge asking price but geeez Souths must be bloody close to their cap limit with Lattrell and now Arrow on the books.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: January 30, 2021, 8:11 am It is probably more a mentor role, but then why didn't they get him into their coaching setup? I guess it gives them the flexibility to play him if Reynolds goes down and he (Reynolds) tends to be broken down by the end of each season.

I know he wouldn't have a huge asking price but geeez Souths must be bloody close to their cap limit with Lattrell and now Arrow on the books.

I actually don’t agree here. They’ve signed a lot of bargain players and players when they were down in value.

Mitchell, Su’a, Gagai and Mansour are some that were signed when their asking price was below what they can provide. In Graham, Gagai and Johnston they’ve got some great outside backs that no other club has really wanted to break the bank for.

Arrow is their first big name forward signing in quite some time. Before this they’ve relied on getting in players to play first grade roles on the cheap.... Liam Knight, Bailey Sironen (now gone), Patrick Mago, Mark Nicholls and Hame Sele. They’ve gone and done the same for this season with Jacob Host who isn’t a star but will play a lot of first grade at bottom dollar.

Their cap is just centres around the spine.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I do think Arrow is a pretty stupid signing for them though unless he plays prop. Their resurgence last year largely coincided with Bennett swallowing his pride and reverting Cam Murray to lock from the edge. It’d be calamitous for Murray to move again to accommodate Arrow.

And Arrow at prop is a bit silly on big money too when you’ve got a small lock.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: January 31, 2021, 8:01 am I do think Arrow is a pretty stupid signing for them though unless he plays prop. Their resurgence last year largely coincided with Bennett swallowing his pride and reverting Cam Murray to lock from the edge. It’d be calamitous for Murray to move again to accommodate Arrow.

And Arrow at prop is a bit silly on big money too when you’ve got a small lock.
Game is going to be so fast that it might rebound in Bennet's favour though. You don't want two big bopper props all the time these days. There might be room for small, mobile props again. Guys from Young/Arrow size who can keep up with defensive intensity and then chew quick yards and offer a bit of footwork if a team is retreating. I think Young might have played a bit of prop for us last year?

I think Souths might be a threat this year if Latrell stays fit. I know some don't seem to rate him but I love the way he plays FB and they've put a backline together now with Mansour who played great last season. I'm hoping Wayne stinks them up somehow but they could go top 4 if Roosters or us stumble.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:
gergreg wrote: January 30, 2021, 8:11 am It is probably more a mentor role, but then why didn't they get him into their coaching setup? I guess it gives them the flexibility to play him if Reynolds goes down and he (Reynolds) tends to be broken down by the end of each season.

I actually don’t agree here. They’ve signed a lot of bargain players and players when they were down in value.

Mitchell, Su’a, Gagai and Mansour are some that were signed when their asking price was below what they can provide. In Graham, Gagai and Johnston they’ve got some great outside backs that no other club has really wanted to break the bank for.

Arrow is their first big name forward signing in quite some time. Before this they’ve relied on getting in players to play first grade roles on the cheap.... Liam Knight, Bailey Sironen (now gone), Patrick Mago, Mark Nicholls and Hame Sele. They’ve gone and done the same for this season with Jacob Host who isn’t a star but will play a lot of first grade at bottom dollar.

Their cap is just centres around the spine.
Sure but while salaries are unknown to the public it is purely speculation.

We've seen at our own club how often players and their managers agitate for upgrades and more often than not clubs accommodate those demands, if a player truly deserves it.

My gripe is partly around how they created the cap space to lure Mitchell and Arrow but that is another issue.

But to your comments, Knight and Sewer were not unwanted players at their previous clubs and generally the most common carrot to attract those players is contract value. But again it's just spit balling without actual numbers.

I think they have a top 4 squad and will go close to winning the competition.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Easy game when you can medically retire Inglis and Burgess from their final contract salaries.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: January 31, 2021, 11:47 am Easy game when you can medically retire Inglis and Burgess from their final contract salaries.
Yeah it's been shown to be a bit of a lurk with GI magically unretired at Warrington and there were noises about Sam coming back too before COVID and his off-field blew up again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney Rabbitohs: Sam Burgess guilty of intimidating ex-father-in-law during heated argument

Former NRL star Sam Burgess has been found guilty of intimidating his former father-in-law and sentenced to a two-year community corrections order.

The South Sydney legend had pleaded not guilty to intimidation and a back-up count of common assault, and contested an apprehended violence order taken out against him on behalf of Mr Hooke. The assault charge was dismissed. Magistrate Robert Rabbidge upheld the AVO preventing Burgess from going within 1km of Mr Hooke’s house.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4f2a03e056
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Latrell Mitchell re-signs with South Sydney Rabbitohs until 2023

South Sydney have received a massive boost heading into the start of the season with Latrell Mitchell re-signing for two more years. He was off contract at the end of this season but will now remain at Redfern until the end of 2023.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/22/lat ... ntil-2023/

Mitchell extends until at least the end of season 2023

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to announce the re-signing of Australian Kangaroos, New South Wales State of Origin, Indigenous All Stars representative and dual-premiership winner Latrell Mitchell until at least the end of season 2023.

Latrell, 23, joined the Rabbitohs for the 2020 season and was one of the leading players in the competition before a serious hamstring injury curtailed his season.

Mitchell, Rabbitohs first grade player number 1154, has represented Australia in four Test matches, has played four State of Origin matches for New South Wales, has represented the Indigenous All Stars on four occasions and has won two NRL premierships since making his NRL debut in 2016.

Latrell says he is very excited about the future at South Sydney.

“I’m really happy about staying here at Souths. It’s become home for me and my family. I feel like we have a great squad of players here and top coaches and I’m really confident that we can achieve what we want to achieve in the coming seasons.

“It’s a special club and a special group of players and it means a lot to me and my family to represent South Sydney.

“The Members and the community have welcomed us and when they tell me they are proud to see me wearing their colours, it makes me feel proud to represent them.

“We want to create more history for this Club and its people and I can’t wait to be part of it.”

Mitchell’s shift to fullback last season was proving to be a masterstroke by Rabbitohs Coach Wayne Bennett, with Rabbitohs Head of Football Mark Ellison keen to see his performances continue to improve in 2021 and beyond.

“Everyone recognises the natural talent that Latrell has, however not everyone gets to see the hard work he puts into his game at training and in the gym,” Mr Ellison said.

“We saw him apply himself to learning to play fullback at the top level and we’ve seen him work hard to rehabilitate his hamstring injury as well. He is highly influential on the field and he has a strong influence on our group off the field too.

“As the bubble lifts we’re certain he will have a great impact in the programs that Souths Cares conducts and, like our Members, we can’t wait to see him out on the field in the red and green once again in 2021 and beyond.”

South Sydney Rabbitohs media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sam Burgess arrested after allegedly failing roadside drug test

Sam Burgess has been arrested after allegedly failing a roadside drug test on Monday. Burgess was charged on Monday afternoon with driving an unregistered car and police will allege he has never held a NSW drivers licence. Police also allege he returned a positive road side drug test for cocaine.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3937487417
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

He's a hot mess as a human, isn't he?

I genuinely worry for his safety.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And anyone around him
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: February 22, 2021, 4:56 pm And anyone around him
Agreed.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He’s spiralling out of control..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

He’s just so hypocritical, able to lie to himself and others very easily and so focused on Personal short term benefits.

He needs to restart his life post retirement and set completely new goals for living.

What a joker.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sam lives in a fantasy world that his NRL profile created.

Now that NRL profile is waning, and the $$ and prestige it gave him with it, he is struggling to adapt to life without it. Worse, his family has separated.

Absolutely asinine that he doesn't rego his car.

Very sad he's taking coke. That stuff goes out of your body fairly quickly, so chances are he used recently.

Just sad. Hope he doesn't Jarrod Mullen all over the place.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:Sam lives in a fantasy world that his NRL profile created.

Now that NRL profile is waning, and the $$ and prestige it gave him with it, he is struggling to adapt to life without it. Worse, his family has separated.

Very sad he's taking coke. That stuff goes out of your body fairly quickly, so chances are he used recently.

You don't want Sam to work hard on his failures and try to get back to his best like Mullen?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sam Burgess. Top bloke.

Was late picking up his kids that morning (probs because he was way too **** up on coke at 9am) and then gets busted on his way to pick them up that afternoon, still under the influence. No rego on the car either. What the hell?

He's clearly out of control and I worry about the welfare of those kids.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: February 23, 2021, 7:47 am
dubby wrote:Sam lives in a fantasy world that his NRL profile created.

You don't want Sam to work hard on his failures and try to get back to his best like Mullen?

Exactly.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I don't want him to reach the lows Mulllen did, is my point

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:I don't want him to reach the lows Mulllen did, is my point

well cleared up but some need to push off the bottom of the pool

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Latrell Mitchell banned for four games as big gamble backfires at the judiciary

For a player who loves to take risks and chance his arm on the field, Latrell Mitchell bit off more than he could chew at the judiciary on Tuesday night. Mitchell failed to have the charge down-graded and will now miss four weeks of NRL action.

It’s wiped his chances of winning the Dally M medal and will see him miss South Sydney’s next four fixtures against Gold Coast, Canberra, Melbourne and Cronulla over the next month.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a8142e7af8
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions. That is absolutely huge for us.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I admit I literally loled.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: April 20, 2021, 11:27 pm I admit I literally loled.
Me too :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You’ve got to feel for Latrell..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:You’ve got to feel for Latrell..
Agreed. It seems a bit inconsistent when compared to the other comparable shots over the weekend. Victor Radley got no weeks, for example.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rubbish. He got the correct charge with a Grade 2. He tried to get it downgraded. It was a late, high forearm to the head of an opponent. No way that was the lowest level. He got 4 weeks because of his poor record. Stop with the grub plays and he won't be getting suspended.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 8:05 am Rubbish. He got the correct charge with a Grade 2. He tried to get it downgraded. It was a late, high forearm to the head of an opponent. No way that was the lowest level. He got 4 weeks because of his poor record. Stop with the grub plays and he won't be getting suspended.
This.

He thoroughly deserved what he got.