Canberra Raiders on board with revised NRL salary cap

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders on board with revised NRL salary cap

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders on board with revised Collective Bargaining Agreement as RLPA and NRL meet in middle

Raiders recruitment boss Pete Mulholland has welcomed this week's revised collective bargaining agreement, but voiced concern over players at the lower end of NRL playing rosters.

"30's not a bad figure, we've had 29 signed now since December," Mulholland said. "We've got one spot left, whether we have to fill that or not it won't matter one way or the other apparently so we're pretty happy with it.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL and RLPA secure future of players and clubs

The National Rugby League (NRL) and the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) have agreed to a revised CBA which will secure the long-term sustainability of players, clubs and the game.

Players have agreed to a 6 per cent reduction in the salary cap for 2021 and 2022. However, unlike other sports, the revised CBA deal ensures job security for players with every club to retain a Top 30 squad, plus a minimum of three development list players.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/19/nrl ... and-clubs/

Rep stars cop financial hit to maintain top 30 squads in new pay deal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/19/pla ... -pay-deal/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders on board with revised NRL salary cap

Post by greeneyed »

Given the statement that there is still one spot to fill in the top 30, I can only conclude that Albert Hopoate isn't included in the top 30 (at least yet).

The top 30 list on NRL.com shows that there are 30 signed, if you include Hopoate (the last player signed by the club): https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/05/202 ... s/#raiders

The last list published on raiders.com.au doesn't include Hopoate in the top 30: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... d-tracker/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont understand why ol Petey M is commenting on this. He and Stuart are far to busy to be bothering with this stuff, DFJ handles the roster, negotiations and the salary cap....

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2021, 5:29 pm Given the statement that there is still one spot to fill in the top 30, I can only conclude that Albert Hopoate isn't included in the top 30 (at least yet).

The top 30 list on NRL.com shows that there are 30 signed, if you include Hopoate (the last player signed by the club): https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/05/202 ... s/#raiders

The last list published on raiders.com.au doesn't include Hopoate in the top 30: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... d-tracker/
Hopoate is only 19 and can't possible have played much footy in elite junior comps with 2 ACL/knee reco's in that age, with each one taking 9-12 months to recover usually... Could be they have him earmarked to just string some more footy together on the junior roster first, with his eyes on earning that open spot. Win win for the club as either he does well and grabs it or if something else goes wrong or another injury crisis, club retains the flexibility to recruit suited to the new circumstance in a pinch.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Botman wrote: January 20, 2021, 7:48 pm I dont understand why ol Petey M is commenting on this. He and Stuart are far to busy to be bothering with this stuff, DFJ handles the roster, negotiations and the salary cap....

??

I think you will find Mulholland does all the ground work. Donny might come in at the end.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Whoosh
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: January 21, 2021, 11:47 am
Botman wrote: January 20, 2021, 7:48 pm I dont understand why ol Petey M is commenting on this. He and Stuart are far to busy to be bothering with this stuff, DFJ handles the roster, negotiations and the salary cap....

??

I think you will find Mulholland does all the ground work. Donny might come in at the end.
I think you're right.
I also think i found that out many years ago and i routinely point this out when people are discussing issues related to our salary cap/roster management, which some people like to use as a chance to **** on Donny, and they tell me he's in charge of the salary cap and roster, Stuart and Mulholland are simply too busy to trouble themselves with that stuff...

It brings me great joy remind them how dreadfully wrong they were and are :lol:
I routinely say in those discussions, if you want to bag DFJ, be my guest, his tenure has give anyone plenty of ammo at which to use... however as far as the roster and cap management goes, since Stuart's arrival, whilst im sure he has opinions and shares them, but he ultimately dots the t's and crosses the i's based on what Stuart and Mulholland tell him to do. If the cap and roster are in good, bad or indifferent shape, the blame AND kudos belong to Stuart.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

C’mon Botman, you know Ricky Stuart is only involved in this financial stuff at moment because it’s off season and he doesn’t have to wash, dry and iron the team playing kit. He hasn’t even been darning players socks this week due to this extra workload.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
Bay53 wrote: January 21, 2021, 11:47 am

??

I think you're right.
I also think i found that out many years ago and i routinely point this out when people are discussing issues related to our salary cap/roster management, which some people like to use as a chance to **** on Donny, and they tell me he's in charge of the salary cap and roster, Stuart and Mulholland are simply too busy to trouble themselves with that stuff...

It brings me great joy remind them how dreadfully wrong they were and are Image
I routinely say in those discussions, if you want to bag DFJ, be my guest, his tenure has give anyone plenty of ammo at which to use... however as far as the roster and cap management goes, since Stuart's arrival, whilst im sure he has opinions and shares them, but he ultimately dots the t's and crosses the i's based on what Stuart and Mulholland tell him to do. If the cap and roster are in good, bad or indifferent shape, the blame AND kudos belong to Stuart.
I absolutely love that you switched the T's and I's quote - one of my early bosses used it a lot on a young Boney to point out my mistakes

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

bonehead wrote: January 22, 2021, 12:04 pm I absolutely love that you switched the T's and I's quote - one of my early bosses used it a lot on a young Boney to point out my mistakes
It's not brain science.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lui_Bon wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 22, 2021, 12:04 pm I absolutely love that you switched the T's and I's quote - one of my early bosses used it a lot on a young Boney to point out my mistakes
It's not brain science.
If you cross your I's you can't see straight

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Lui_Bon wrote: January 22, 2021, 11:39 pm
It's not brain science.
Much harder than that.. its rocket surgery