Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders forward Scott Sorensen signs for 2021 with Penrith Panthers: https://bit.ly/3hXD2ad
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Jarrett Subloo, Daniel Keir join Redcliffe Dolphins

Two young guns from Canberra Raiders have moved north, with Jarrett Subloo and Daniel Keir joining the club. Keir is a strong, fit backrower / lock who represented Australia at schoolboys level; and Subloo is a clever half who also holds utility value in the backs. Subloo, an Innisfail junior, made his NRL debut in 2020 in Round 20 against Cronulla Sharks.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/01/11/ ... 021-squad/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Blake Austin joined the tin foil hat brigade.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

-TW- wrote: January 11, 2021, 3:52 pm Blake Austin joined the tin foil hat brigade.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Good grief- what a boofhead. How about he trade his place as a rugby league player with a nurse or doctor for a week and see if he rattles off similar tripe afterwards.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

So many other questions to raise that Blake has ignored.

What difference does it make whether you have a positive Covid test or not?

How about.....

You may unexpectedly pass Covid onto an elderly relative or an at risk disabled or cancer sufferer and kill that person.

You will definitely increase the rate of Covid infections across the world and the infection will continue to morph into an ever more deadlier strain that kills a much higher percentage of people or the new strain starts to affect and kill differently, such as under 10 year olds, etc.

You will kill off your medical staff and have limited ability to maintain the health of your nation.

Probably another 50 responses we could think of.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

It appears that Blake has become mates with Laurence Fox, both delusional...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders captain Clinton Schifcofske thriving in sports management

Former Canberra Raiders captain Clinton Schifcofske, 45, is still heavily involved in rugby league after forming GS Sports Management alongside agent Steve Gillis. It was well before Schifcofske had even thought about retirement that Gillis approached him.

“I try to encourage the players that I manage now to think about a plan of what they want to do afterwards,” he said. “It was a seven or eight-year plan for Steve and I but I trusted him. He has managed me my entire career...16 years. Now we have been business partners for nine years and that’s something I’m extremely proud of."

Read more: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugb ... te-3092566
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders forward Scott Sorensen lands at third NRL club of career, penning one-year deal with Penrith Panthers

Scott Sorensen has signed with a third NRL club of his career, penning a one-year deal with the Penrith Panthers. The 27-year-old forward will play for Penrith in season 2021 after crossing from Cronulla, where he spent the last three seasons.

Prior to his time at the Sharks, Sorenson had been at the Canberra Raiders for one season, while his first stint in the NRL was with Cronulla in 2014.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/scott-sore ... f8db446dc9
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sorenson is an OK squad filler, but nothing more.

He’s fit and trains well, but misses that bit extra.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tumut Blues take ‘leap’ of faith with former Raiders junior Ron Leapai

The Tumut Blues have added another big name to their already formidable front row ahead of the Group 9 season by signing former NSW Country under 23s prop, Ron Leapai. The 24-year-old made his name for the Woden Valley Rams in the Canberra Cup competition, and brings with him a strong rugby league resume, having progressed through the Canberra Raiders junior system, before being named the 2018 Canberra Cup front-rower of the year.

Read more: https://tatimes.com.au/blues-take-leap- ... ntry-prop/
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Makaveli wrote: January 11, 2021, 3:24 pm Jarrett Subloo, Daniel Keir join Redcliffe Dolphins

Two young guns from Canberra Raiders have moved north, with Jarrett Subloo and Daniel Keir joining the club. Keir is a strong, fit backrower / lock who represented Australia at schoolboys level; and Subloo is a clever half who also holds utility value in the backs. Subloo, an Innisfail junior, made his NRL debut in 2020 in Round 20 against Cronulla Sharks.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/01/11/ ... 021-squad/
Redcliffe will have a very good team with those guys, who they already have and the NZ Warriors players coming in. Dan Keir must have only recently moved up, he was still playing golf at Yowani over Christmas.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Oldfield relishing chance back home in Sydney after tough 2020

Eels recruit and former Raider Michael Oldfield admits a 2020 season in which he – like many other players – was stuck in a COVID bubble away from family and friends back home, while also barely getting a chance to actually play, was extremely tough.

Living back on the northern beaches where he grew up and commuting to Eels training with lifelong mate Clint Gutherson, Oldfield said it was a relief to be back close to family and friends this year.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/25/old ... ough-2020/
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Oldie says a lot of great stuff about the raiders there :)
One of the good guys for sure
Vaccinated
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

cat wrote: January 25, 2021, 4:54 pm Oldie says a lot of great stuff about the raiders there :)
I remember chatting to him at a Members Day at Alex Headland a couple of seasons back, was very generous with his time, good fella.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote:
cat wrote: January 25, 2021, 4:54 pm Oldie says a lot of great stuff about the raiders there :)
I remember chatting to him at a Members Day at Alex Headland a couple of seasons back, was very generous with his time, good fella.
he was blown away that we travelled from Newcastle for the trial in Port last year

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Duwanye Mariner and Zac Woodford named in the Newtown squad: https://www.newtownjets.com/newtown-news-27-01-2021/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Makaveli wrote:Duwanye Mariner and Zac Woodford named in the Newtown squad: https://www.newtownjets.com/newtown-news-27-01-2021/
I remember arguing with a few people on here that Zac Woolford wouldn’t be an NRL player and it was fine to let him go. We certainly have a track record of over rating our fringe lower graders and juniors.

Ricky Stuart is a good judge of Rugby League talent 90% of the time. Remember the Eels players on the whiteboard that were unfairly dumped. I certainly don’t remember them.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BJ wrote:
Makaveli wrote:Duwanye Mariner and Zac Woodford named in the Newtown squad: https://www.newtownjets.com/newtown-news-27-01-2021/
I remember arguing with a few people on here that Zac Woolford wouldn’t be an NRL player and it was fine to let him go. We certainly have a track record of over rating our fringe lower graders and juniors.

Ricky Stuart is a good judge of Rugby League talent 90% of the time. Remember the Eels players on the whiteboard that were unfairly dumped. I certainly don’t remember them.
looked handy Zac but definitely didn't kick on

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BJ wrote: January 29, 2021, 10:03 am

I think even more specifically the broader rugby league community was subject to Jersey Flegg being the flash competition on tv. The real big one out of that was the rugby league community in general overrating dummy halves and running based playmakers. The Holden/Toyota Cup was so open and poor defensively competition wide that hookers and running halves ran riot and they were all touted as the next big thing with plenty of them coming into senior football and being absolutely terrible because they never got that hardening up period. Our man Waddell was possibly the first and main culprit.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: January 29, 2021, 10:07 am
BJ wrote:

looked handy Zac but definitely didn't kick on
Unfortunately for Zac a big part of being a first grade player is putting in off the field. Unless you're a massive talent. Went right off the rails when he left the raiders system.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like Mathew Lyons and Lazarus Vaalepu have also signed for Wynnum Manly Seagulls, while Jed Simbikin has gone to the Central Queensland Capras.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kiwi league player: Titans contract "saved my life"

Promising Kiwi league player Erin Clark - the son of Silver Ferns netball legend Temepara Bailey - has revealed signing with the Gold Coast Titans has "kind of saved my life".

Within two months of his debut, the 23-year-old asked for a release from his Warriors contract and signed with the Canberra Raiders. But it was a short-lived stint in the Australian capital, successfully gaining a release from that contract to return to his family's base in Auckland.

Read more: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/kiwi-l ... CFW32SDII/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

David Shillington has signed with the Noosa Pirates for season 2021.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

video floating around of dave taylor back on the park. its... not pretty
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's not really him, is it?

Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

It looks like he swallowed the rest of the team :shock:
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Sitiveni Moceidreke named in Dragons pre-season trial squad

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02 ... ay-sharks/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Green Beers wrote:It looks like he swallowed the rest of the team :shock:
Even worse was the referee not awarding him a penalty for being taken off the ball.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

BJ wrote: February 11, 2021, 8:54 am
Green Beers wrote:It looks like he swallowed the rest of the team :shock:
Even worse was the referee not awarding him a penalty for being taken off the ball.
Yeah and Civoniceva should have been binned
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders junior Zeik Foster in NSW Cup with the Dragons: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02 ... ay-sharks/
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I see Harry Van Dartel named in the knights extended trial squad this weekend
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

VictorTheViking wrote: February 16, 2021, 8:14 pm I see Harry Van Dartel named in the knights extended trial squad this weekend
Gee there is a name I had forgotten.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bay53 wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote: February 16, 2021, 8:14 pm I see Harry Van Dartel named in the knights extended trial squad this weekend
Gee there is a name I had forgotten.
good kid, nice family hope he gets a spot

Edrick The Entertainer
Christmas Ape
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Christmas Ape »

Hi everyone,

We had a chat to Mark Lowry last week on our podcast -
https://open.spotify.com/episode/6WcdeZ ... kCgDhsfnUg
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/m ... 0509691102

Mark's a great bloke and had some interesting stories and insights about his time at the Raiders in the good old days.
Hope you all enjoy it!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Glenn Buttriss signs for Currumbin Eagles

Former Canberra Raiders rake Glenn Buttriss has spurned interest from multiple Gold Coast Rugby League rivals to sign with the Currumbin Eagles. The 119 NRL game star, who moved to the Gold Coast in December last year.

Read more: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sp ... c479423351