Jarrod Croker could get all clear for Round 1 after shoulder surgery

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Jarrod Croker to miss start of 2021 season after shoulder surgery

Post by Danaman137 »

Who started at left centre in 2017 when Croker did he knee (?) in the all star game? I remember we were all thinking it would be Turner or Cotric but Cotric obviously started on the wing and Turner was no where to be seen..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: November 3, 2020, 10:48 am Who started at left centre in 2017 when Croker did he knee (?) in the all star game? I remember we were all thinking it would be Turner or Cotric but Cotric obviously started on the wing and Turner was no where to be seen..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elliott Whitehead. Croker was back by Round 3.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Watched the Fox sports special of every Jarrod Croker try ever. McCrone features in a lot of them in the early years.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BJ wrote:Watched the Fox sports special of every Jarrod Croker try ever. McCrone features in a lot of them in the early years.
much maligned but The Temora Tornado will have a reasonable highlight reel himself

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: January 1, 2021, 5:01 pm
BJ wrote:Watched the Fox sports special of every Jarrod Croker try ever. McCrone features in a lot of them in the early years.
much maligned but The Temora Tornado will have a reasonable highlight reel himself

It's really the lowlight reel which undid the Josh.

Rocks and diamonds that bloke. Really gave it his all though, I'll always rate that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

McCrones issue wasn't that he couldn't set up a try- it's that he was just 100 miles an hour redlining every play. So he made his fair share of tries but made or created just as many errors too. Never really seemed able to settle or run the side or pick apart a team by building up to the right play.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Herbert McCrone was an awesome prospect.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:

Rocks and diamonds that bloke. Really gave it his all though, I'll always rate that.
yep he really could have a blunder at the worst possible time

Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: January 1, 2021, 5:06 pm McCrones issue wasn't that he couldn't set up a try- it's that he was just 100 miles an hour redlining every play. So he made his fair share of tries but made or created just as many errors too. Never really seemed able to settle or run the side or pick apart a team by building up to the right play.
Scott Dureau was an even more extreme case of this. You almost wanted him to set up a try early as he'd spend the rest of the match chancing his arm at every opportunity. Not surprising he went on to have a long SL career where his mistakes wouldn't have been punished to the same degreee.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

My problem with McCrone was that he flat out couldnt read and react to the defence. Every time he touched the ball it looked like he'd made his mind up the tackle before on what he was going to do. And he'd just do it, regardless of what was happening in front of him

So on occasions where the defense gave him EXACTLY what he wanted, things would go OK. Otherwise, just a total **** show. This was particularly evident on short balls, he threw so many hospital balls to guys who had the edge defender camping in their hip pocket and he just never could read it, react and change his plan
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Spot on. I can’t fault his effort just his execution 2 times out of 3.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

remember a game in Newcastle he dragged us back into it leading to half time, then kicked out on the full 1st set after the break going for a 40/20 leading to a knights try and win.

Edrick The Entertainer
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I always have a giggle when I think about Joey johns talking him up for origin.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think McCrone can be summed up by a game against Melbourne at home around 2011ish. We were in the grandstand and saw him throw a perfect long cut out ball for a perfect wingers try. The ref inexplicably called it forward. He then kicked a 40/20 that the Touchie incorrectly said didn’t cross the 20m line.

Cameron Smith was later awarded a 40/20 that didn’t actually cross the line and Cam Smith set up a match winning try with a short forward pass through a hole that McCrone left in the defensive line.

The match only needed a Raiders try off a McCrone pass to the head to reflect his career in 80 minutes.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The defining play for McCrone for me was sitting in Bruce with a bunch of mates (the old GH gambling group to be clear!), against Manly... we were down big, and just on the stroke of halftime, an opportunity presented itself... McCrone has about a 4-2 overlap and running at them, and proceded to grubber... and i swear, if it was not obstructed in anyway, the ball was still be rolling today.... my god, we all just fell to the floor in fits of equel parts anger, frustration and and laughter
BJ
Steve Walters

Jarrod Croker to miss start of 2021 season after shoulder surgery

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:The defining play for McCrone for me was sitting in Bruce with a bunch of mates (the old GH gambling group to be clear!), against Manly... we were down big, and just on the stroke of halftime, an opportunity presented itself... McCrone has about a 4-2 overlap and running at them, and proceded to grubber... and i swear, if it was not obstructed in anyway, the ball was still be rolling today.... my god, we all just fell to the floor in fits of equel parts anger, frustration and and laughter
McCrone grubbers from 10m out still leave dints in the Bruce stadium in goal advertising hoardings.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:The defining play for McCrone for me was sitting in Bruce with a bunch of mates (the old GH gambling group to be clear!), against Manly... we were down big, and just on the stroke of halftime, an opportunity presented itself... McCrone has about a 4-2 overlap and running at them, and proceded to grubber... and i swear, if it was not obstructed in anyway, the ball was still be rolling today.... my god, we all just fell to the floor in fits of equel parts anger, frustration and and laughter
I broke my phone cause I threw my hands up in frustration and it went flying

Worst butchered try in my time following the Raiders as religiously as I do now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BJ wrote: January 2, 2021, 5:55 pm I think McCrone can be summed up by a game against Melbourne at home around 2011ish. We were in the grandstand and saw him throw a perfect long cut out ball for a perfect wingers try. The ref inexplicably called it forward. He then kicked a 40/20 that the Touchie incorrectly said didn’t cross the 20m line.

Cameron Smith was later awarded a 40/20 that didn’t actually cross the line and Cam Smith set up a match winning try with a short forward pass through a hole that McCrone left in the defensive line.

The match only needed a Raiders try off a McCrone pass to the head to reflect his career in 80 minutes.
I had completely forgotten about that game! It not only sums up McCrone but the Raiders (and Storm) during that period. We weren't a great team but we also couldn't catch a break either.

I'll always choose to remember McCrone as being a key element of our killer right edge that was Papa, him, Fergo and Sandor. They dominated for a period and he was an important part of it.

Also that grubber to Dugan to beat the Dragons in the last minute.

(I choose to forget the passes to the head.)
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 1, 2021, 5:05 pm

Rocks or sapphires
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker is on track to make quick recovery from a serious shoulder injury

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Jarrod Croker is ahead of schedule in his recovery from shoulder surgery and is hopeful of having his captain on deck for round one.

“Jarrod is a quick healer and if he was back for round one, that would be great,” Stuart said. “But I’m still going to find another centre during this pre-season to fill that position in case Jarrod takes a bit more time and misses a game or two.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 3974e13afa
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The same quotes from yesterday, which suggested CNK is a centre option, but Coach Stuart is looking for the back five to compete for spots.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If i had to guess, i think a lot of this back 5 talk will be white noise come round 1.
He's trying to light a fire under these guys and i expect CNK at fullback, Scott and Croker in the centres and Rapana and Simo/Valami on the wings

HOWEVER i think if things are not going well, round 10ish, we might start to see some changes. I dont think Stuart would replace Croker mid season (and ill leave it to others to debate the merits of that, but i cant personally seeing Stuart pulling the trigger on him given his stature at the club so i dont see a lot of point in debating it) but i could see changes at at any of the other 5 spots... CNK will be in the team somewhere, that im also pretty confident in.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Who is at fullback if CNK is centre?!

This is nonsense
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: January 18, 2021, 7:36 pm Who is at fullback if CNK is centre?!

This is nonsense Image
Stuart has made it clear.
Aekins

Comments prior about him being sylistically more like CNK than the ball playing option you'd want if you moved him are to me 100% spot on. If CNK isnt at fullback, it should be because we're putting someone in that position who can give us something he cant. I dont think that's Aekins

But it is clear Stuart isnt 100% sold on CNK and how he's developing at fullback and i think that's entirely a justifable position.. And we can love the person, and we can adore the level of effort he puts in on and off the park and we can agree that he's one of the best fullbacks in the league in almost every other aspect of fullback play but ball playing... but i dont think anyone could argue that his struggles as a ball player dont limit this team offensively and cut the margins on that side of the ball razor thin

When you don't have ball playing in your fullback, it makes base offensive moves and structure very hard to execute in 2021. It is what it is.

He needs to improve as a ball player, and if he cant, we need to find someone else and move him to a position that plays to his skill set.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I also suspect CNK's shakiness under the high ball is an issue. It's seem as though he's prone to drop a few when attacking them in the air, so his catches are now very defensive, practically lying down on the ground to take it, then getting immediately pounced on by defenders without making any yardage. I think he needs to improve that area of his game, as well as the ball-playing.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Adam Cook was given a FG chance last year in the comp match against Cronulla. Bonehead made the following observations:

'Adam Cook obviously not a standout game but I did like a lot of what I saw from him, nice passing game and positionally in attack he was pretty good, I think with a season in nsw cup and some fill in games of NRL he could just be something.'

I understand he is now in our Top 30 so Sticky has a high opinion of him. I hope he gets an opportunity at FB in the trial game. I really don't see that CNK will be replaced at FB though. He has been given the job over the past 2 seasons and I reckon he has gone pretty well. Sides don't make a Grand Final and a Preliminary Final with a No.1 who is an assett to the Team. Sure he has some work to do on aspects of his game, but Cameron Smith said he had areas he wants to work on in his game as well.

That Cronulla game was a preview to the future I reckon with HSS and Timoko in the centers as well. I don't know that the three youngsers will start the season on the 1, 3 and 4 but I reckon Sticky has told them that if they play well they are knocking on the door.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: January 18, 2021, 7:36 pm Who is at fullback if CNK is centre?!

This is nonsense Image
Aekins
I understand that I have a mancrush on CNK that helps me overlook a lot.

I accept that his ball-playing offensive game is not to the level many people expect.

But despite both of these comments I stand by this being utter nonsense. In a season where our premiership window is still expected to be open you need a bloody good reason to change your fullback. I don’t see anyone in that squad who is vaguely justifiable for replacing CNK in a premiership tilt this year.

Those comments had better just be to stoke a fire in CNK, or lay some groundwork for possibility of change much later in the season if things go COMPLETELY pear-shaped. Otherwise I am befuddled.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If the eggs are going in the Aekins basket, wheres CNK go when Crokers fit?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: January 18, 2021, 8:51 pm
Botman wrote:

This is nonsense Image
Aekins
I understand that I have a mancrush on CNK that helps me overlook a lot.

I accept that his ball-playing offensive game is not to the level many people expect.

But despite both of these comments I stand by this being utter nonsense. In a season where our premiership window is still expected to be open you need a bloody good reason to change your fullback. I don’t see anyone in that squad who is vaguely justifiable for replacing CNK in a premiership tilt this year.

Those comments had better just be to stoke a fire in CNK, or lay some groundwork for possibility of change much later in the season if things go COMPLETELY pear-shaped. Otherwise I am befuddled.
Yep, agree there is no one really challenging CNK at fullback in the squad.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: January 18, 2021, 7:24 pm If i had to guess, i think a lot of this back 5 talk will be white noise come round 1.
He's trying to light a fire under these guys
yea i think in a way this is Stuart trying to get the rest of the guys in the back 5 to all make small improvements to offset the loss of Cotric.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

-TW- wrote: January 18, 2021, 8:57 pm If the eggs are going in the Aekins basket, wheres CNK go when Crokers fit?

CNK is probably a legitimate wing option also, played pretty much all his first grade games at the warriors there, could take Cotrics spot IF we found a better fullback
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: January 18, 2021, 9:36 pm
Yep, agree there is no one really challenging CNK at fullback in the squad.
I don't see Aekins as a serious FB option. I think he's been brought in purely as cover while Cook or others develop and to spur them on. I just don't seem him with FG FB game. If there was going to be another long term FB (and I don't think there will or needs to be), I really think it would come from another player in the squad.

I'm most excited to see Timoko get a shot at one of the centre spots next season. An edge of G Willy, CHN, Timoko would offer a fair bit in attack to balance out our left side bias somewhat. You'd think Rapana would have the instincts to work pretty well off the tackle breaks, offloads and quick play the balls off a strong run offered by those guys too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think all the paper talk is about Timoko this year... but I'm hearing Harley Smith-Shields and Seb Kris are the players tearing it up in pre season training.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Finchy wrote: January 18, 2021, 8:07 pm I also suspect CNK's shakiness under the high ball is an issue. It's seem as though he's prone to drop a few when attacking them in the air, so his catches are now very defensive, practically lying down on the ground to take it, then getting immediately pounced on by defenders without making any yardage. I think he needs to improve that area of his game, as well as the ball-playing.
It's a big issue IMO and one that's often overlooked on here.

By submitting like that every time you're negating every single opportunity to run at any staggered defensive lines, to get into the broken field. From then on, the opportunity to get quick roll-ons from the territory gained is negated for the rest of the team too.

I don't see his method being sustainable at all. The whole ball playing thing is different as he needs to work on it and develop - the catching he needs to rectify quick smart.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think you overstate how much of a problem this is. There is a time and place for it.

Plenty of more attacking fullbacks will attack and straight spill the ball often handing a prime attacking set on the goal line to the opposition.

Under pressure CNK makes more metres because he goes straight down instead of being drilled backwards (as we saw for the rookie who got put back in goal twice from memory).