From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: January 18, 2021, 2:54 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 18, 2021, 2:46 pm Reckon they already have enough. Pitch is very up and down now. Hard to see them getting those runs against our attack. Depending on how long this rain delay is they might even declare before resumtion.
I reckon they will want the psychological 300 barrier passed. So 25-75 more. Give or take time lost to rain
They're well past the psychological barrier now. Looks like no intention of declaring.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Play has been extended to 6pm (7pm Eastern)

Reckon they'll either bat til 5 or get bowled out.. whatever comes first.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: January 18, 2021, 4:10 pm Play has been extended to 6pm (7pm Eastern)

Reckon they'll either bat til 5 or get bowled out.. whatever comes first.

Can't see them getting that much in before it's too dark. Lots of cloud coming over and by that time it will be almost fully under lights. They won't allow that with a red ball.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Thats it. All out 294. Siraj with a 5 for.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rain coming. They'll get about 4-5 overs in before the day is washed out. Forecast 80% chance of rain tomorrow.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Just started hosing down where Im staying

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Deliciously poised if the rain holds tomorrow.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Play abandoned

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: January 18, 2021, 12:02 pm
Northern Raider wrote:That'll do for Wade. They wanted to bring in Pucovski and it was between him and Head to see who made way. He's not taken that lifeline so in the absence of alternative Head deserves a recall.

As a comparison between the two.

Career Test Average:
Wade 29.87
Head 39.75

Recent form (since Ashes):

Wade 15 innings, 390 runs @ 30.00 with 1 x 50
Head 9 innings 299 runs @33.22 with 1 x 100 and 1 x 50

While Head's numbers are not sensational he's out performed Wade in every category. Another factor is their age. Wade is 33 and Head is 27. If you need to retain one of them Head is the better option. At least until somebody else earns a crack via runs in first class cricket.
Until Head scores runs against an attack of note then it's a moot point imo.

His hundreds came against one of the worst National attacks I've seen, and a NZ attack which was pretty lifeless in Melbourne once the moisture went out of the deck.

The thing in Wade's favour is he has 2 hundreds in England, and until Head is able to go back to shield and score millions to get another look in, I doubt Wade will go anywhere

It’s not a moot point. Since his recall Wade has averaged 20 in the first innings of test matches. It was always stop gap and realistically has been absolutely disastrous this series.

But hey Khawaja is finished as a test cricketer despite a career average over 40.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: January 18, 2021, 5:18 pm
Northern Raider wrote:That'll do for Wade. They wanted to bring in Pucovski and it was between him and Head to see who made way. He's not taken that lifeline so in the absence of alternative Head deserves a recall.

Career Test Average:
Wade 29.87
Head 39.75

While Head's numbers are not sensational he's out performed Wade in every category. Another factor is their age. Wade is 33 and Head is 27. If you need to retain one of them Head is the better option. At least until somebody else earns a crack via runs in first class cricket.

His hundreds came against one of the worst National attacks I've seen, and a NZ attack which was pretty lifeless in Melbourne once the moisture went out of the deck.

The thing in Wade's favour is he has 2 hundreds in England, and until Head is able to go back to shield and score millions to get another look in, I doubt Wade will go anywhere

It’s not a moot point. Since his recall Wade has averaged 20 in the first innings of test matches. It was always stop gap and realistically has been absolutely disastrous this series.

But hey Khawaja is finished as a test cricketer despite a career average over 40.
I think everyone believes Khawaja is among our top 6 test batsmen. Everyone except Langer and the selectors that is.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:

Career Test Average:
Wade 29.87
Head 39.75

I think everyone believes Khawaja is among our top 6 test batsmen. Everyone except Langer and the selectors that is.
Correct, but based on the test doco I think his attitude grinds JL the wrong way.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: January 18, 2021, 5:49 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Career Test Average:
Wade 29.87
Head 39.75

Correct, but based on the test doco I think his attitude grinds JL the wrong way.

Langer has always played favourites. Usi is obviously not one of them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Cloudy in Brisbane today although no rain around yet. Expect that some time this afternoon. Won't be enough time for India to get the runs so put a line through that outcome. I reckon we'll get 2 full sessions in so around 50 overs for Australia to get 10 wickets.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 8:57 am Cloudy in Brisbane today although no rain around yet. Expect that some time this afternoon. Won't be enough time for India to get the runs so put a line through that outcome. I reckon we'll get 2 full sessions in so around 50 overs for Australia to get 10 wickets.
thats not enough.... without India going all "36" again
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:13 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 8:57 am Cloudy in Brisbane today although no rain around yet. Expect that some time this afternoon. Won't be enough time for India to get the runs so put a line through that outcome. I reckon we'll get 2 full sessions in so around 50 overs for Australia to get 10 wickets.
thats not enough.... without India going all "36" again
Yep, don't think it's enough time either even with Cummins and Hazelwood.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Warne saying India should change their order to try and win the game. Christ he talks some smack in the box for such a good ex player.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:37 am Warne saying India should change their order to try and win the game. Christ he talks some smack in the box for such a good ex player.
The fact that India don't need to win obviously hasn't factored into his thinking.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finally bowling a more full length and gets a wicket. Quit with the bowling just short of a good length.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm no expert on DRS rules but how can a ball that's predicted to be smashing leg stump be deemed "Umpire's Call"?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 10:41 am I'm no expert on DRS rules but how can a ball that's predicted to be smashing leg stump be deemed "Umpire's Call"?
SO....
The rule is that the bails dont count as part of the stumps for DRS (WHY the F not?!?!) so its the top of the cylinder part of the stump not the dome that houses the bails. So by rule, its correct.
BUUUUUUUUUUUT....
Thats about as OUT a DRS that Ive seen. What a joke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

julian87 wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:37 am Warne saying India should change their order to try and win the game. Christ he talks some smack in the box for such a good ex player.
SHUT UP SHANE !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 19, 2021, 10:46 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 10:41 am I'm no expert on DRS rules but how can a ball that's predicted to be smashing leg stump be deemed "Umpire's Call"?
SO....
The rule is that the bails dont count as part of the stumps for DRS (WHY the F not?!?!) so its the top of the cylinder part of the stump not the dome that houses the bails. So by rule, its correct.
BUUUUUUUUUUUT....
That said I don't have a lot of confidence in the accuracy of ball tracking.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Got to say I've been pretty disappointed in our bowling this series, other than Adelaide. Not accusing them of not putting in (Cummins especially), just poor tactics. Of course India have batted well, too.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

julian87 wrote:Warne saying India should change their order to try and win the game. Christ he talks some smack in the box for such a good ex player.
**** he's a terrible commentator

Brilliant cricket brain but absolute dribbler

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 19, 2021, 12:10 pm Got to say I've been pretty disappointed in our bowling this series, other than Adelaide. Not accusing them of not putting in (Cummins especially), just poor tactics. Of course India have batted well, too.
Tend to agree. However in some circumstances it's not so much the poor tactics. More that they persist when it's not bringing the results.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

India must feel good about themselves blocking 2 games in a row

Great cricket
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Makaveli wrote:India must feel good about themselves blocking 2 games in a row

Great cricket
Everyone knows you need to take 20 wickets a game to win. Our bowling attack for all the praise it gets just has not been good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Great cricket
Is there any sport at all that you understand?

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
SO....
BUUUUUUUUUUUT....
Ball tracking had that Lyon delivery missing by quite a lot and looking at it side on it looked to be keeping very low.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: January 19, 2021, 1:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
SO....
BUUUUUUUUUUUT....
Ball tracking had that Lyon delivery missing by quite a lot and looking at it side on it looked to be keeping very low.

The 2nd one they reviewed? Yes, there's no way it was bouncing that high.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
SO....
BUUUUUUUUUUUT....

Yes the second one.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:

Great cricket
Is there any sport at all that you understand?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: January 19, 2021, 2:44 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

SO....
BUUUUUUUUUUUT....

Yes the second one.
I also believe the umpire made the correct call to give both not out. Batsman was so far down the track they would only be guessing if it was going on to hit the stumps. Can't give somebody out on a guess. Ball tracking was guessing a bit too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

India conservative since Tea. 33 overs left in the day so the target may be a bridge too far. Weather has been clear so far. Might see some showers build as we get further into the session.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Best gloveman in the country has dropped 6 catches and now a missed stumping in the series.