Pretty ballsy play there from Reid.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: January 18, 2021, 9:25 am Pretty ballsy play there from Reid.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
What a **** lord
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Mahomes will need to get cleared for Chiefs to be any chance going forward. I snorted my coffee when I saw Chad Henne take the field. Didn't realise he was still playing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 17, 2021, 12:00 am
My prediction for the Eagles is that they go with a defensive minded Head Coach so that Lurie and Howie can keep their influence on the offensive coaches without stepping on the toes of the HC’s specialty area. Rams DC Brandon Staley could be an option.
Alternatively they could pick someone quite inexperienced like Joe Brady, and use his youth as a reason not to give him full control of his offensive staff. Someone like Brady would be fine with that, as he would jump at any opportunity to be a HC. Other more experienced coaches, especially those with options, would want full control of their own staff, so doubt they be a good fit for the Eagles.
Interesting theory. I dont see it myself with a defensive coach, the owner values elite offence too much but its not a theory without merit. I think you hit on the second part, it will be a young inexperienced offensive coach and How and co will have the training wheels on em.
That's what has me worry about Kafka or Duece Staley

They're casting a wide net. Curious to see how it all plays out
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 18, 2021, 9:35 am
My prediction for the Eagles is that they go with a defensive minded Head Coach so that Lurie and Howie can keep their influence on the offensive coaches without stepping on the toes of the HC’s specialty area. Rams DC Brandon Staley could be an option.
Alternatively they could pick someone quite inexperienced like Joe Brady, and use his youth as a reason not to give him full control of his offensive staff. Someone like Brady would be fine with that, as he would jump at any opportunity to be a HC. Other more experienced coaches, especially those with options, would want full control of their own staff, so doubt they be a good fit for the Eagles.
Interesting theory. I dont see it myself with a defensive coach, the owner values elite offence too much but its not a theory without merit. I think you hit on the second part, it will be a young inexperienced offensive coach and How and co will have the training wheels on em.

Apparently the Eagles weren’t all that impressed with Brady. He’s probably a little too green anyway. He needs at least a couple more seasons experience before he should be seriously considered for a HC job. The latest interviewee is Josh McDaniels apparently... can’t really see them picking him tbh. I’m still picking Brandon Staley for now.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: January 18, 2021, 9:08 am Chiefs beat the Browns 22-17, great game. Mahomes was ruled out in the second half with a concussion. He’ll be in concussion protocol all week and presumably questionable for the AFC Championship game. For what it’s worth, the hit on Mahomes looked pretty innocuous... it wasn’t really clear what caused the concussion.
Browns smelt blood once Mahomes went off too.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

End of the 3rd, locked up at 20-20. Another one going down to the wire.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

There shall be no fairytale ending for Brees. Saints have given up 4 turnovers; 3 picks and a fumble. Buccaneers have added 21 points off the takeaways, with more to potentially come on this series.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: January 18, 2021, 12:43 pm There shall be no fairytale ending for Brees. Saints have given up 4 turnovers; 3 picks and a fumble. Buccaneers have added 21 points off the takeaways, with more to potentially come on this series.
Good game, that ended in a bit of a splutter.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

There were a couple of reasons for Brady departing NE. He wanted to prove he could do it without Belichick and Belichick wanted to show he could do it without Brady. Right now the score is 1-0 to Brady.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Not a great way for a legend to go out, he looked absolutely washed.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 18, 2021, 9:40 am

Apparently the Eagles weren’t all that impressed with Brady. He’s probably a little too green anyway. He needs at least a couple more seasons experience before he should be seriously considered for a HC job. The latest interviewee is Josh McDaniels apparently... can’t really see them picking him tbh. I’m still picking Brandon Staley for now.
Staley is off the board now, chargers expected to hire him

Daball still on the board, with only the texans job left unfilled. If priority #1 is fixing Wentz, as has been reported, you couldnt do better than to hire the guy that turned Josh Allen from an athlete with a scatter shot arm and inconsistent mechanics into a **** certified superstar
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Not sure if u have seen the Bree's and Brady post game footage, of the 2 families interacting. But classy stuff.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Two legends of the sport, just sitting around talking about life, love, football and how the election was rigged and how they appreciated the armed insurrection attempting to overrun the Capitol Building, probably
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 18, 2021, 1:38 pm
the bone wrote: January 18, 2021, 9:40 am

Staley is off the board now, chargers expected to hire him

Daball still on the board, with only the texans job left unfilled. If priority #1 is fixing Wentz, as has been reported, you couldnt do better than to hire the guy that turned Josh Allen from an athlete with a scatter shot arm and inconsistent mechanics into a **** certified superstar
Interesting, I was expecting Chargers to go with Daboll. He should absolutely be in the running for the Eagles then; he’s done a great job with Josh Allen.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 18, 2021, 5:59 pm Two legends of the sport, just sitting around talking about life, love, football and how the election was rigged and how they appreciated the armed insurrection attempting to overrun the Capitol Building, probably
100% :lol:
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: January 18, 2021, 1:35 pm There were a couple of reasons for Brady departing NE. He wanted to prove he could do it without Belichick and Belichick wanted to show he could do it without Brady. Right now the score is 1-0 to Brady.
I know that’s the popular theory, but I tend to believe it was a more amicable breakup. I think it was more a case of Belichick and the Pats being unable to provide Brady with any weapons due to the state of their salary cap. I’m sure Brady was frustrated at this, as his preference would’ve been to be a one club player, but he then had to choose between that, or competing for titles. If Bill wanted to prove he could do it without Brady, he would’ve had a better plan than going with Jarrett Stidham at QB.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 18, 2021, 5:59 pm Two legends of the sport, just sitting around talking about life, love, football and how the election was rigged and how they appreciated the armed insurrection attempting to overrun the Capitol Building, probably
:lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Looks like McDaniels to Philly is gathering momentum... dont know how i feel about that, didnt think his first stint was very good, but he does fit the bill for the style of coach i want...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: January 18, 2021, 11:11 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 18, 2021, 1:35 pm There were a couple of reasons for Brady departing NE. He wanted to prove he could do it without Belichick and Belichick wanted to show he could do it without Brady. Right now the score is 1-0 to Brady.
I know that’s the popular theory, but I tend to believe it was a more amicable breakup. I think it was more a case of Belichick and the Pats being unable to provide Brady with any weapons due to the state of their salary cap. I’m sure Brady was frustrated at this, as his preference would’ve been to be a one club player, but he then had to choose between that, or competing for titles. If Bill wanted to prove he could do it without Brady, he would’ve had a better plan than going with Jarrett Stidham at QB.
He did sign Cam Newton.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BB has already alluded to it but they all knew this year was going to be tough for the Pats
They've been kicking the can down the road from a cap perspective for a long time, add in the covid opt outs they had, and to be perfectly frank, BB the GM has let BB the coach down in terms of the draft

But the organisation knew this was going to be a tough year. im fascinated to see what they do at QB now and how they pivot 2022. I think they'll be back in the play offs next year
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:10 am BB has already alluded to it but they all knew this year was going to be tough for the Pats
They've been kicking the can down the road from a cap perspective for a long time, add in the covid opt outs they had, and to be perfectly frank, BB the GM has let BB the coach down in terms of the draft

But the organisation knew this was going to be a tough year. im fascinated to see what they do at QB now and how they pivot 2022. I think they'll be back in the play offs next year
Are you tipping Bills to fall away?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:12 am
Botman wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:10 am BB has already alluded to it but they all knew this year was going to be tough for the Pats

Fall away? No i dont think they're going anywhere. I would still tip them to win the division, but i think the Dolphins are going to be better placed to really push them, and yeah i expect the Pats to take a giant leap... I think that's going to be a VERY competitive division. And in a tight division race, i'll bet on BB finding a way to win enough games to grab one of the 3 wildcard spots at the very least

I wouldnt be stunned if the AFC E next year is similar to AFC N this year, where you've got 3 play off teams
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:20 am

Fall away? No i dont think they're going anywhere. I would still tip them to win the division, but i think the Dolphins are going to be better placed to really push them, and yeah i expect the Pats to take a giant leap... I think that's going to be a VERY competitive division. And in a tight division race, i'll bet on BB finding a way to win enough games to grab one of the 3 wildcard spots at the very least

I wouldnt be stunned if the AFC E next year is similar to AFC N this year, where you've got 3 play off teams
I'll be very surprised if that's the case. Pats have got a few too many pieces missing at the moment. Might take another year to fill those gaps. Belichick was able to do it previously when he could build around a number of key players (like Brady and Gronk). He doesn't have those at the moment and will need some cap room and draft capital to get some.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 8:45 am
He did sign Cam Newton.
Yeah, in July, a long time after he parted ways with Tom.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: January 19, 2021, 1:04 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 8:45 am
He did sign Cam Newton.
Yeah, in July, a long time after he parted ways with Tom.
Obviously his plan was not built around Stidham. Even so he may have viewed Stidham as his next Brady.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:39 am

I'll be very surprised if that's the case. Pats have got a few too many pieces missing at the moment. Might take another year to fill those gaps. Belichick was able to do it previously when he could build around a number of key players (like Brady and Gronk). He doesn't have those at the moment and will need some cap room and draft capital to get some.
Yeah i could be wrong, i might be putting too much faith in BB... as they say, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's not the X's and O's... and he hasnt got many jimmy's or joes
But i really beleive he'll get them back into competing for a division very quickly

Part of that is also that i really think Jimmy G is going to end up back at the Pats and the Niners will make a bold move for a QB... not sure if that will come in the draft with a trade up for a Fields/Wilson, or dipping their toes in the vet market for someone like Stafford/Ryan.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 19, 2021, 7:30 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 19, 2021, 9:39 am

Yeah i could be wrong, i might be putting too much faith in BB... as they say, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's not the X's and O's... and he hasnt got many jimmy's or joes
But i really beleive he'll get them back into competing for a division very quickly

Part of that is also that i really think Jimmy G is going to end up back at the Pats and the Niners will make a bold move for a QB... not sure if that will come in the draft with a trade up for a Fields/Wilson, or dipping their toes in the vet market for someone like Stafford/Ryan.
It's a balance. Best coach still needs the right cattle and the best cattle still need a good coach. Thing is Belichick has always had the his Hall of Fame QB under centre. Those are not easy to get hold of. Jimmy G return might be on the cards but is he much of an upgrade on Newton? For Belichick to build a contender without an elite QB might need some change in approach. Take a leaf from the Titans book and build a strong O-line and running game and which can elevate a mid level QB like Tannehill to the top tier.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Eagles hire Nick Sirianni as their Head Coach. I don’t know much about him, but his timeline per Wikipedia:
2018-2020: Spent the last 3 seasons as Colts OC.
2013-2017: Spent 5 years with the Chargers, including 2 years as QB coach and 2 years as wide receivers coach.
2009-2012: Spent 4 years with the Chiefs, working his way up to wide receivers coach in 2012.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Haskins is a Steeler
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 22, 2021, 5:46 am Eagles hire Nick Sirianni as their Head Coach. I don’t know much about him, but his timeline per Wikipedia:
2013-2017: Spent 5 years with the Chargers, including 2 years as QB coach and 2 years as wide receivers coach.
2009-2012: Spent 4 years with the Chiefs, working his way up to wide receivers coach in 2012.
I admit i knew very little about him until a few days ago when they announced he'd be interviewing, and i've since done a bit of research, including watching a TON of videos of him from the Colts social's where hes talking football and breaking down tape, and im happy with this.
I also listen to the Bleeding Green Podcast and my guy, and excellent twitter/tape/draft guy Benjamin Solak did a 30 minute pod talking about why he thinks Sirianni is the best candidate for the eagles and that has made me really excited too.

It's not flashy, it's not a home run, it's not going to win the press conference, he'll be rated lowly on the rankings of hires but his background, his production and his offensive philosophy are inline with what i wanted out of this coaching search

If he can put a good staff together, i think he'll be seen as a really good hire a few years from now. REALLY hope he can bring Shane Steichen with him as OC, he's the current charges OC but maybe Staley will let him walk and he'll bring his own guy in there. For DC, I'd like to see them bring Gannon the DB's coach from the Colts with him. That's a young guy who understands stopping modern NFL offences

John McNaulty who's the Notre Dame TE's coach has ties and a TON of NFL experience with offensive football. He'd be a good hire. I'd like to keep Duece Staley on staff, and Jeff Stoutland who is one of the best OL coaches in the league... if that's the core of the coaching staff, Sirianni- Steichen/Gannon as OCs and then Staley, McNaulty and Stoutland rounding out the think tank, then i think that'd be awesome
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 22, 2021, 6:13 am Haskins is a Steeler
That's an interesting move. He's got a chance to resurrect his career there with Big Ben's form dropping off a cliff. If he fails there that could be curtains for his pro football career even at this early stage.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 22, 2021, 8:31 am
the bone wrote: January 22, 2021, 5:46 am Eagles hire Nick Sirianni as their Head Coach. I don’t know much about him, but his timeline per Wikipedia:
I admit i knew very little about him until a few days ago when they announced he'd be interviewing, and i've since done a bit of research, including watching a TON of videos of him from the Colts social's where hes talking football and breaking down tape, and im happy with this.
I also listen to the Bleeding Green Podcast and my guy, and excellent twitter/tape/draft guy Benjamin Solak did a 30 minute pod talking about why he thinks Sirianni is the best candidate for the eagles and that has made me really excited too.

It's not flashy, it's not a home run, it's not going to win the press conference, he'll be rated lowly on the rankings of hires but his background, his production and his offensive philosophy are inline with what i wanted out of this coaching search

If he can put a good staff together, i think he'll be seen as a really good hire a few years from now. REALLY hope he can bring Shane Steichen with him as OC, he's the current charges OC but maybe Staley will let him walk and he'll bring his own guy in there. For DC, I'd like to see them bring Gannon the DB's coach from the Colts with him. That's a young guy who understands stopping modern NFL offences

John McNaulty who's the Notre Dame TE's coach has ties and a TON of NFL experience with offensive football. He'd be a good hire. I'd like to keep Duece Staley on staff, and Jeff Stoutland who is one of the best OL coaches in the league... if that's the core of the coaching staff, Sirianni- Steichen/Gannon as OCs and then Staley, McNaulty and Stoutland rounding out the think tank, then i think that'd be awesome
Pigman’s feeling optimistic!

At the very least, it’s better than a retread. May as well take a risk with someone new rather than getting someone that’s flopped elsewhere.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah, that's my feeling too
The more i read and hear the more i like it. Im at least optimistic now about what sort of offensive scheme we'll be running next year

we'll suck, the team is lacking in talent and there is no cap room... so that is what it is but at least i have hope we wont be boring to watch. Expecting to see a lot of mesh, a lot of play action, in breaking second level concepts, which i think Wentz, if they can fix him, excels at.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Daniel Jeremiah released his first mock draft. Here’s his top 12:
1. Jags - Lawrence
2. Jets - Wilson
3. Dolphins - Chase
4. Falcons - Lance
5. Bengals - Slater
6. Eagles - Surtain
7. Lions - Smith