Final charge against Tom Starling dismissed

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged with assaulting police

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sounds like a re-run of the Scott episode in many respects. This time we have an incident at a pub where an intoxicated football player steps in to help his mate/brother and the police take it to the next level. Intoxicated footballer then gets the blame.

I'm sure Starling wasn't entirely innocent, but from what I've seen I'm also sure the NSW police force haven't covered themselves in glory here.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

You really have to wonder about the person leading the PP here, same as the Scott case.
Either someone isn't giving them the full brief or they are dreaming rainbows. In both cases the evidence seems to be very thin to continue the charges.

If they keep this up we may need to declare them as 3rd party sponsorship of our players due to payouts
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: January 13, 2021, 10:53 pm You really have to wonder about the person leading the PP here, same as the Scott case.
Either someone isn't giving them the full brief or they are dreaming rainbows. In both cases the evidence seems to be very thin to continue the charges.

If they keep this up we may need to declare them as 3rd party sponsorship of our players due to payouts
I dont know that we can definitively say that on this case yet, given we are not privy to evidence.
The police have tendered body cam footage and cctv. Now the police have certainly not earned the BOTD, so a healthy level of skepticism seems reasonable but also i dont think we have enough information right now to say whether the police have enough evidence to make the charges stick

I think we're all best to just see how this plays outs and await more information.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Agree Pigman. Not 100% sure Raiders players will definitely be 2 from 2.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Given the state that starling was left in I wonder if the police have no choice but to pursue charges against him. Can you imagine if they admitted that charges should be dropped after what they did to him. I'd suggest the police who were involved would be desperate to see charges laid so as to keep their jobs.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Botman wrote: January 14, 2021, 7:52 pm
cat wrote: January 13, 2021, 10:53 pm You really have to wonder about the person leading the PP here, same as the Scott case.

I dont know that we can definitively say that on this case yet, given we are not privy to evidence.
The police have tendered body cam footage and cctv. Now the police have certainly not earned the BOTD, so a healthy level of skepticism seems reasonable but also i dont think we have enough information right now to say whether the police have enough evidence to make the charges stick

I think we're all best to just see how this plays outs and await more information.
I agree but given the fact that Ricky has backed him I'm leaning towards 2-0 to the Raiders

Can't see Tommy lying to Ricky or the club

IF this does go the Raiders way I'm curious to know if the cops recognised both players as NRL players or a scarier thought this is becoming too common practice within the police force
Vaccinated
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

cat wrote: January 16, 2021, 12:54 pm

I agree but given the fact that Ricky has backed him I'm leaning towards 2-0 to the Raiders

IF this does go the Raiders way I'm curious to know if the cops recognised both players as NRL players or a scarier thought this is becoming too common practice within the police force
Surprised to see you leaning that way
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

simo wrote: January 16, 2021, 3:08 pm
cat wrote: January 16, 2021, 12:54 pm

Surprised to see you leaning that way
:lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Payne Haas arrested with similar charges after a incident in Tweed heads

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4dfba9e372

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

-TW- wrote: January 17, 2021, 10:46 am Payne Haas arrested with similar charges after a incident in Tweed heads

Just confirming, we all want him rubbed out of the game for life yeah?
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Says Broncos doesn’t it?
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged with assaulting police

Post by Elcaptcroker »

simo wrote:
-TW- wrote: January 17, 2021, 10:46 am Payne Haas arrested with similar charges after a incident in Tweed heads

Haas doesnt have a good record but saying that scott had history as well, im all for giving haas the chance to prove his innocence or the police to prove his guilt but he was the one that the broncos paid off the indo cops to let free wasnt he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Elcaptcroker wrote: January 17, 2021, 12:27 pm
simo wrote:

Haas doesnt have a good record but saying that scott had history as well, im all for giving haas the chance to prove his innocence or the police to prove his guilt but he was the one that the broncos paid off the indo cops to let free wasnt he?

Haas was charged with "Intimidating Police". Whatever the **** that is.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Elcaptcroker wrote:
simo wrote:

That’s was Fifita
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: January 17, 2021, 12:47 pm
simo wrote:

Well..after been beaten with a baton, pepper sprayed, tasered and shot you get up and advance.

That’s Intimidating Police...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: January 17, 2021, 1:38 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 17, 2021, 12:47 pm
simo wrote:

Well..after been beaten with a baton, pepper sprayed, tasered and shot you get up and advance.

That’s Intimidating Police...
Wouldn't be hard to make the charge stick.

Prosecution: "Officer, did you find the accused intimidating?"
Arresting Officer: "Yes"
Judge: "I guess that makes him guilty then."
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I'm Bate Man wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote:
simo wrote:

That’s was Fifita
Knew it was one of them ImageImage

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: January 17, 2021, 11:01 am

Absolutely we do. **** the broncos, every and all day.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
simo wrote: January 17, 2021, 11:01 am

Absolutely we do. **** the broncos, every and all day.
I can't comment one way or another until the GH moral compass weighs in. Cat... hang em high?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Hahahaha. All charges bar 1 dropped. Tommy pleading not guilty to remaining charge of “hinder police”.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Good grief
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yikes that's a backflip if ever I've seen one

Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Let’s see if that gets plastered all over the newspaper headlines now like it did when the actual incident happened.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders hooker Tom Starling has charges - including assaulting police - dropped

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling has six of seven charges - including assaulting police - dropped

Canberra hooker Tom Starling has had six of the seven charges stemming from an altercation with security and police on the Central Coast dropped. The 22-year-old fronted magistrates at Gosford local court on Thursday where he had charges which included affray and assaulting a police officer withdrawn.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 095e9d02bf

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders hooker Tom Starling has charges - including assaulting police - dropped

Pleaded not guilty to remaining charge of Hindering Police so clearly this isn't part of a plea deal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So the CCTV footage and body cam footage can't have been too helpful to police. Given the way Tom looked afterwards... you have to wonder what happened there. I guess we will just have to wait to see...
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

How do you go from “reached for an officers gun” to charges dropped? Officers shot a man for that only recently. Its mind blowing
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 21, 2021, 11:29 am So the CCTV footage and body cam footage can't have been too helpful to police. Given the way Tom looked afterwards... you have to wonder what happened there. I guess we will just have to wait to see...
At least who ever is in charge of this investigate is willing to concede their case and not push through in spite of lack of evidence
Seriously though, it is impossible not to think if this were Johnny Average, how different this could be.

NSW Police need to get their **** house in order
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

simo wrote: January 21, 2021, 11:39 am Officers shot a man for that only recently. Its mind blowing
I guess it is. Particularly if they shoot you in the head.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote: January 21, 2021, 11:10 am Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling has six of seven charges - including assaulting police - dropped
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I can only assume they have to charge him with something to try and justify the beating he took. Otherwise he got beat up, they tried to refuse his bail, and he didn't do anything worthy of a charge which wouldn't look good on their incident report and certainly would open the door for a decent law suit against them.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: January 21, 2021, 11:39 am How do you go from “reached for an officers gun” to charges dropped? Officers shot a man for that only recently. Its mind blowing
It's ridiculous.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 21, 2021, 1:15 pm
simo wrote: January 21, 2021, 11:39 am How do you go from “reached for an officers gun” to charges dropped? Officers shot a man for that only recently. Its mind blowing
It's ridiculous.
It's the police version of:

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Gee Raiders players are going to have a target on them by the NSW police.

Don’t speed through Queanbeyan or take a toilet break behind a tree.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Great news. Particularly with timing. Good to get this out of the way well before round 1