Papalii defeats Ben Hannant in Rugby League Rivals boxing clash

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Papalii to face Ben Hannant in Rugby League Rivals boxing clash

Post by Johno »

Is tom still helping Costigan...or is he injured?
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Is tom still helping Costigan...or is he injured?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

magoo wrote: January 14, 2021, 11:39 pm Whoever sanctioned this fight is a disgrace.
Yeah, as happy as I am that Papa isn't facing Nelson, this does not seem right. Hannant is four years out of elite sport - not that he was a particularly fierce or physically imposing guy then. And unless he's doing some very cagey press work, it doesn't sound like he's got any experience.

I would think Mason, Thaiday, Paulo and Costigan would all rate higher than Hannant.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

So big question. Who would you rather fight;
  • 1 Papalii sized Tom Starling
  • 10 Tom Starling sized Papalii's
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Is this 'event' on Fox?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's sponsored by Foxtel so I'd assume so

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Papalii to face Ben Hannant in Rugby League Rivals boxing clash

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii and Justis Huni set sights on All Stars Rugby League fight night

Josh Papalii will face former NRL player Ben Hannant in the co-main event of the All Stars Rugby League fight night in Townsville on February 12. Meanwhile, Justis Huni's clash with James Porter shares top billing. Papalii met Australian boxing's hottest prospect and reigning heavyweight champion, Huni, today.

"He'd probably go well in the front row with me I reckon. If I'm ever in trouble I've got him by my side," Papalii said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/boxing/ ... fohty9ldaz

VIDEO: Papalii and Huni look ahead to Townsville fight night: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/01 ... ght-night/
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Ruben Daley wrote: January 17, 2021, 10:22 pm
magoo wrote: January 14, 2021, 11:39 pm Whoever sanctioned this fight is a disgrace.
Yeah, as happy as I am that Papa isn't facing Nelson, this does not seem right. Hannant is four years out of elite sport - not that he was a particularly fierce or physically imposing guy then. And unless he's doing some very cagey press work, it doesn't sound like he's got any experience.

I would think Mason, Thaiday, Paulo and Costigan would all rate higher than Hannant.
I give it between 30 and 60 seconds before it's called off. At least I hope so for Hannant's sake.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Gary Belcher interviews Josh Papalii: https://media.whooshkaa.com/show/10761/ ... 781410.mp3
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Could be interesting if Hannant gives it to him. :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Gives what to him ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:Gives what to him ?
Sore knuckles
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

:lol:

I'm not saying it's remotely likely, just that it would be a bit embarrassing if Papa doesn't clean him up.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

C'mon guys. We're not talking about MMA/UFC here. It's boxing. It really doesn't take much to nullify your opponent in boxing. Hang on for dear life or stay out of range and jab away. A MMA/UFC referee will stand back while two guys pulverise each other and really only jump in to protect an unconscious fighter. A boxing referee will let a boxer hold on for half a fight.

These are two amateurs. We all think that Papa should beat him but there is absolutely no evidence to justify that thinking. Papa has never thrown a punch in a decade of rugby league but has a reputation as a total bad ass.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rocky Stuart: Canberra Raiders coach offers to spar Josh Papalii ahead of fight

Premier prop Josh Papalii says Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has been so supportive of his first boxing fight that he’s even offered to jump in the ring and help him prepare. Papalii said Stuart, these days a modest cruiserweight, texted him to say: “If you need a sparring partner, I’m down for it.”

“Sticky’ [Stuart] wouldn’t know anything about boxing, but when it comes to support, he’s always there.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rocky- ... 56vb0.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Papa down to 117kgs, down five kilograms apparently, compares to 126kgs after the World Cup campaign with Samoa.

Also... Papa has a deal with CHN... to keep the mullet for two years... whoever cuts it first has to have a complete shave for their next cut.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

126... **** that's Paulo numbers

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: January 23, 2021, 2:23 pm Papa down to 117kgs, down five kilograms apparently, compares to 126kgs after the World Cup campaign with Samoa.

Also... Papa has a deal with CHN... to keep the mullet for two years... whoever cuts it first has to have a complete shave for their next cut.
CHN has the best hair ever..
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-PJ- wrote: January 23, 2021, 4:23 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 23, 2021, 2:23 pm Papa down to 117kgs, down five kilograms apparently, compares to 126kgs after the World Cup campaign with Samoa.

CHN has the best hair ever..
I enjoy that chn and papa have a 2 year arrangement with eachother already. Speaks to good unity
Dont delete this GE
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Hope Papa strips fit for the fight, will give him a head start into the new season.

Hard not to like the guy.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Huni has pulled out of the event. Apparently he was wrestling a friend and got concussed . Not sure who the friend was. Paps maybe :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

“About a month ago, Justis got into a playful altercation with a mate. Their wrestling match got serious and Justis ended up coming off his feet and landing head first on concrete. He blacked out immediately and came to with a scrape on the side of his face, but decided not to tell anyone.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/bo ... 3ec564e5ad

Smart dude.
Green Hornet
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine / Josh Papalli

Post by Green Hornet »

So does this mean any of these current or former players null and void any potential future lawsuits regarding long term head injuries?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart issues blunt boxing warning to Josh Papalii

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has given star prop Josh Papalii a brutal warning ahead of his boxing clash against Ben Hannant. “He’s given me one message,” Papalii said. “Ricky said; ‘Don’t come back to Canberra if you’re going to lose’.”

But Papalii’s task just become tougher, after Hannant enlisted former world champion Michael Katsidis to prepare him for the bout in Townsville on February 12.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 014e0cc6ba
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

So if Ben Hannant causes an upset we lose Papa to the Roosters..

Well done Stick.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: January 30, 2021, 5:15 pm So if Ben Hannant causes an upset we lose Papa to the Roosters..

Well done Stick.
Or a fight with Tyson Fury
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘I’ve seen the Bali clips’: Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii’s relief after dodging fight with Nelson Asofa-Solomona

Raiders prop Josh Papalii breathed a sigh of relief when he heard the news Melbourne’s Nelson Asofa-Solomona had to withdraw from a scheduled boxing bout between the two. He was thanking his luck stars that he didn’t have to step inside the ropes and take on all 200cm and 115kg of ‘Big Nelson’.

“Oh man, I was so happy he did pull out. I didn’t think I’d come back to my kids. Mate, I’ve seen the Bali clips and they don’t look good.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bed6516ef6
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Everyone’s written him off... but league’s big ‘Polar Bear’ Ben Hannant says Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii is in for a shock

It’s Big Papa Bear against the Polar Bear in the boxing ring. It’s widely tipped to be a one-sided victory for Josh Papalii. Ben Hannant, though, says he holds no fear about taking on of the game’s best forwards and explained he had been written off all the way through life and defied the odds.

“I’ve been spending a lot of time in the ring with some big Tongan boys to get used to having someone bigger in front of me with experience in boxing, practising the things I need to learn,” he said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7676608b3a
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fighting fit: Josh Papalii's hectic Canberra Raiders pre-season ahead of boxing bout

Josh Papalii's alarm goes off so he can sneak out the front door well before the kids wake up. Although Papalii grins "I'm still at the back of fitness" groups at Raiders headquarters.

"It's been tough, especially with the full-on days at Braddon and trying to find some energy to box. It's pretty tough hey. I'm still going to pre-season training and that's pretty full on, and then turning up pretty tired to training with [coach Steve Babic]. If anything, I've gained fitness a bit better.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii strips 15 kgs and ready to step into the ring against Ben Hannant

Josh Papalii will enter the 2021 premiership in the best shape of his career after a punishing pre-season of boxing training has seen the Queensland Origin enforcer shave a whopping 15kg from his frame.

“I don’t know much weight I’ve lost, but it’s been good fun,” Papalii said. “It’s a bit different to my usual training for rugby league. It has taken my mind away from football and it’s made me a bit hungrier than most pre-seasons. I think this boxing training will be good for my football this year.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 1db76cb106

Josh Papalii enlists Raiders teammates to prepare for boxing match against Ben Hannant: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/boxing/ ... 2in01o2rvy
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I suspect he'll put a lot of it back on once the fight is over. Don't think playing at around the weight he was on the edge is sustainable in the middle - it's that extra size that came at the expense of mobility that has made him so effective there IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He'll definitely need to put on some weight before the season starts, but general fitness wise, he should be primed for another big year
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He looked great in the recent roaming whitehead vid. Haven't seem him that trim in a very long time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii heads into boxing camp before taking on Ben Hannant

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii is taking off the footy boots and pulling on the boxing gloves.

“I’m looking pretty good and feeling confident,” Papalii said. “I try to leave all my nerves at sparring and while doing those long cardio sessions, but getting punched in the face isn’t too bad for me. I’m not good looking so it doesn’t bother me anyway.

Read more: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/09/ ... n-hannant/

AUDIO: Josh Papalii interviewed on SEN Breakfast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=788333
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I bumped into Ben Hannant at the Sporting Globe in Robina yesterday, he genuinely didn’t strike me as too confident in his chances against Paps

I’m not even joking or trolling here, he honestly didn’t come across as confident, his response was basically “yeah, let’s just see how we go”