head
phillipe
green
Cummins
Pattinson
lyon
hazewood

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
This is ducking hilarious if it’s not a pisstake. Let’s drop the best keeper in Australia who’s also the captain for the backup keeper from WA (who’s probably their 3rd in line option given they have 3 FC keepers in the XI he doesn’t make)
best keeper batsman in the country, screw Paine

Boney watching too much Big Bash. Surprised you couldn't find room for Daniel Sams in the Test team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: January 14, 2021, 7:10 am
julian87 wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 11, 2021, 5:25 pm Warner
Labu
Smith
Maxwell
head
phillipe
green
Cummins
Pattinson
lyon
hazewood

This is ducking hilarious if it’s not a pisstake. Let’s drop the best keeper in Australia who’s also the captain for the backup keeper from WA (who’s probably their 3rd in line option given they have 3 FC keepers in the XI he doesn’t make)

I can accept the wish to look elsewhere from Paine- he's picked as the best keeper but hasn't had a great series with the gloves imo. But I still think he's probably the best option for the moment. I'd wait and see if his glovework decline in permanent before I give him up- he doesn't score volumes of runs but he's made runs at key times.

But I just don't get the drive to replace him with a T20 standard (e.g a bit rubbish) keeper who has a single century in any format to his name... Where's the improvement going to be, I don't see it with the gloves or the bat from Phillipe. Remembering that T20 runs are bashed against players not good enough to be involved in the NZ/Pak series, Oz/India series or the SA/Eng recent series... so it's the dregs.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:
julian87 wrote:
Labu
Smith
Maxwell
head
phillipe
green
Cummins
Pattinson
lyon
hazewood

I can accept the wish to look elsewhere from Paine- he's picked as the best keeper but hasn't had a great series with the gloves imo. But I still think he's probably the best option for the moment. I'd wait and see if his glovework decline in permanent before I give him up- he doesn't score volumes of runs but he's made runs at key times.

But I just don't get the drive to replace him with a T20 standard (e.g a bit rubbish) keeper who has a single century in any format to his name... Where's the improvement going to be, I don't see it with the gloves or the bat from Phillipe. Remembering that T20 runs are bashed against players not good enough to be involved in the NZ/Pak series, Oz/India series or the SA/Eng recent series... so it's the dregs.
of course Paine's the best option, I'm just sick of him

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: January 14, 2021, 9:03 am
BadnMean wrote:
julian87 wrote:
Labu
Smith
Maxwell
head
phillipe
green
Cummins
Pattinson
lyon
hazewood

of course Paine's the best option, I'm just sick of him

Forgetting Philippe as he can't even make the WA team at first class level. Is Paine really the best option? He took over captaincy after Sandpapergate, which was the right decision at the time. That was 2.5 years ago and things have moved on. In that time his batting average is 27 compared to a career average of 32. Those raw stats show his batting is in steady decline. We're now seeing his glovework slip significantly from his previous excellent standards. Right now we're holding on to a 36yo keeper for no other reasons than his captaincy status.

As for other options, Carey has been understudy for many years. We know he's a decent bat and keeper. Maybe it's time to give him a shot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

this is where I'm at NR, yes I was being flippant throwing Phillipe forward but good judges are impressed by him.
I don't watch the big bash, it's glorified park cricket.

Paine has done the job that was needed, finish up at Brisbane and walk away with an Ashes to prepare for, Give the captaincy back to Smith as it should be.

Edrick The Entertainer
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Australia XI: David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade, Cameron Green, Tim Paine (c and wk), Pat Cummins, Mitch Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

Great, because you know, Harris hasn't failed every game he has played for Australia
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Well... Puc lasted 1 game. Shoulder injury has ruled him out. Harris is back in.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

julian87 wrote:
Labu
Smith
Maxwell
head
phillipe
green
Cummins
Pattinson
lyon
hazewood

He’s the 4th best keeper batsman in WA tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Smith should never captain again imo. Unfortunately the best captain option doesn’t bat well enough to retain his place ahead of Matt Wade apparently.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:Smith should never captain again imo. Unfortunately the best captain option doesn’t bat well enough to retain his place ahead of Matt Wade apparently.
now who's talking garbage, Smith should never have been tarred and feathered for Warner's actions. He's paid the most excessive price of any modern sports person i can think of outside probably Alex Mackinnon.

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: January 14, 2021, 9:41 am this is where I'm at NR, yes I was being flippant throwing Phillipe forward but good judges are impressed by him.

Paine has done the job that was needed, finish up at Brisbane and walk away with an Ashes to prepare for, Give the captaincy back to Smith as it should be.

Those good judges obviously don't include the WA selectors.

Regardless, you do get the feeling it's time to move on from Paine. The issue is they are facing an Indian 2nd XI in Brisbane and realistically they should win comfortably. So coming off a series win they're not going to make any significant changes, which includes your Keeper and Captain.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 14, 2021, 9:41 am this is where I'm at NR, yes I was being flippant throwing Phillipe forward but good judges are impressed by him.

Regardless, you do get the feeling it's time to move on from Paine. The issue is they are facing an Indian 2nd XI in Brisbane and realistically they should win comfortably. So coming off a series win they're not going to make any significant changes, which includes your Keeper and Captain.
ABC and SEN commentators were saying they need to get Phillipe into the Aussie training squads and he needs to get out of WA, I think it was Clark said he could focus on t20 and be an international star.

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: January 14, 2021, 6:25 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

ABC and SEN commentators were saying they need to get Phillipe into the Aussie training squads and he needs to get out of WA, I think it was Clark said he could focus on t20 and be an international star.

So basically there are no good judges suggesting he's a potential test player.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

the discussion was he was an outstanding prospect and if he isn't nurtured soon he'll not reach the test arena and end up a t20 nomad

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: January 15, 2021, 9:18 am
Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

the discussion was he was an outstanding prospect and if he isn't nurtured soon he'll not reach the test arena and end up a t20 nomad

Once again, he needs to secure a spot in his State team before being considered a future test player. If he can't do that then life as a T20 nomad looks to be his path. It's up to the player to do this and not CA to shoehorn him into the national squad. He's a similar age to the guy who has the role for WA (Josh Inglis) so that's not really a factor for him to jump the queue.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Aussies win the toss and will bat. Ashwhin and Bumrah both out for India. Mohammed Siraj is now their most experienced bowl with 2 tests to his name.

Teams are:

Australia: 1 David Warner, 2 Marcus Harris, 3 Marnus Labuschagne, 4 Steven Smith, 5 Matthew Wade, 6 Cameron Green, 7 Tim Paine (capt and wk), 8 Pat Cummins, 9 Mitchell Starc, 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Josh Hazlewood

India: 1 Rohit Sharma, 2 Shubman Gill, 3 Cheteshwar Pujara, 4 Ajinkya Rahane (capt), 5 Mayank Agarwal, 6 Rishabh Pant (wk), 7 Washington Sundar, 8 Shardul Thakur, 9 Navdeep Saini, 10 Mohammed Siraj, 11 T Natarajan
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's an India 3rd XI
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Outstanding 1 from Warner. Outstanding.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Warner sucks
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bring back Burns!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think Warners mo is affecting his batting..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Shane has just taken up the mike..

Where’s that mute button ?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

God our opening combinations stink
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We stink.

And once again we need Labu and Smudge to score big.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Oh look, Harris failed again

Who would've thought? Just keep picking him guys
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Haven’t lost at the Gabba since 1988.

Oh dear.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Makaveli wrote: January 15, 2021, 10:42 am Oh look, Harris failed again

Langer said he was "the obvious choice". Only obvious to him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: January 15, 2021, 10:39 am We stink.

And once again we need Labu and Smudge to score big.
They will.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Khawaja as an opener? I mean come on, seriously this is ridiculous.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Is it too early for a SHUT UP SHANE ?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Makaveli wrote: January 15, 2021, 10:42 am Oh look, Harris failed again

TBF, it was by default. Homers 2 favourite words.

But yes, he is rubbish
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 15, 2021, 10:45 am Khawaja as an opener? I mean come on, seriously this is ridiculous.
Agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: January 15, 2021, 10:50 am Is it too early for a SHUT UP SHANE ?
Never
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Why wasn't Pucovski retained, is he injured?

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:Why wasn't Pucovski retained, is he injured?

yes shoulder

Edrick The Entertainer