All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged with assaulting police

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 7, 2020, 6:42 pm Interesting extra information:

Sources close to Starling told the Herald the Raiders star jumped in to defend his brother, but was held back by a number of officers who he struggled with, believing they were patrons rather than police as they were plain-clothed. Starling’s camp also believes police notified members of the media, who were waiting when the youngster left the police station.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ricky- ... 56l9n.html

Also alleged a bouncer made the reported comment about Tom’s mother.
If that is true, my money would be on these charges being dropped in due course, as i doubt the NSW Police force are interested in taking another embarrassing L

Which is not to say it is true, just IF it is.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Any word from Kalyn Ponga and Jack Johns doing the rounds?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lucy wrote:Who goes to a laid back lounge chair restaurant for a chilled meal and starts beating on "other patrons" in the first place?

Regardless of the risk of them being plain clothed police.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
it's the central coast, who doesn't

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:Cat...

Raiders player: we need to question every detail of this scenario and cast a little doubt over the police investigation. Surely just a bit of a media beat up. And lets just wait for due process.

Non Raiders player: hang em high.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It's all a conspiracy to show the NRL hate the Raiders

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-TW- wrote: December 7, 2020, 8:40 pm
gergreg wrote:Cat...

Raiders player: we need to question every detail of this scenario and cast a little doubt over the police investigation. Surely just a bit of a media beat up. And lets just wait for due process.

Non Raiders player: hang em high.

It's all a conspiracy to show the NRL hate the Raiders

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
GE will now factor starlings court appearances into the raiders total travel
Dont delete this GE
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Are NSW police stalking Raiders players?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

reptar wrote:Are NSW police stalking Raiders players?
I loved the earlier comment that this was Sticks loophole for paying them more while avoiding the salary cap. Maybe Stick has the police on the payroll?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Why do Plain Clothed Police rarely wear plain clothes?

Hawaiian shirts and Chino’s seems to be the set uniform.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: December 8, 2020, 8:56 am Why do Plain Clothed Police rarely wear plain clothes?

Are you basing opinion this entirely on a few episodes of Miami Vice?
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged with assaulting police

Post by BJ »

BadnMean wrote:
BJ wrote: December 8, 2020, 8:56 am Why do Plain Clothed Police rarely wear plain clothes?

Are you basing opinion this entirely on a few episodes of Miami Vice?
Did I say pastel T-shirts and light grey suit jackets with the sleeves rolled up?

Nah I’m talking the plain clothed cops at the Kingo or down at the Foreshore on a Thursday night.
Last edited by BJ on December 8, 2020, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling back at training after Central Coast arrest

Raiders hooker Tom Starling has returned to training just days after being arrested for assaulting police and spending the night in a Central Coast lock up.

The 22-year-old was welcomed back into the fold on Tuesday, 24 hours after Canberra coach Ricky Stuart vehemently backed Starling following the Saturday night incident which left the former Newcastle Knight facing five counts of assaulting an officer in the execution of duty.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

ACAB

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

A young St Marys man has been shot dead by police after "grabbing a plain clothes officer's gun"

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tom Starling: NRL star’s case to consider CCTV evidence

Rising Canberra Raiders star Tom Starling was so violent towards a female and three male cops at a Central Coast restaurant that patrons would have “feared for their safety”, police allege in court documents. Starling was not required to attend Gosford Local Court on Tuesday when Shady Palms handed over CCTV footage of the fight. Police body-cam footage of the scrap has also been tendered to the court.

Starling, 22, is one of four men, including his two brothers Jackson and Josh, charged. He is due back in court next Thursday.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/truec ... 271a6d9cb6
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Until I see the bodycam/security camera footage, i really don't give a flying **** what sob stories the cops have to share

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not a lot new there, apart from the fact that there is CCTV and body cam footage. Police were already at the restaurant "dealing with another matter" when the altercation broke out. Police opposed bail, claiming that there was a risk he would not turn up in court and might endanger victims and the community (!). Bail given on the basis of completely clean record and on basis he would live at homes at Canberra or Avoca Beach, and would only drink alcohol at home.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Police are certainly coming hard at this one.

Might be trying to make up for the Curtis Scott debacle.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raider Azz wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:21 pm Until I see the bodycam/security camera footage, i really don't give a flying **** what sob stories the cops have to share

I don't have much faith NSW Police will turn up looking roses here. Shades of the Scott case in the way they are playing media games.

I like how the police statement includes rubbish totally inadmissible as evidence- such as the police kindly informing us the state of mind patrons "would have" formed upon seeing the terrifying vision of 170cm Tom Starling in a bar; 'patrons would have “feared for their safety”'. Now the police are mind readers? Let's just make up our own witness reactions to suit and then include them in press releases shall we?

Yeah the opposing bail is a bit ridiculous too. Guy is a professional earning well into 6 figures but they reckon he's gonna skip town and go on another gun stealing rampage?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:41 pm Police are certainly coming hard at this one.

Might be trying to make up for the Curtis Scott debacle.
Or they are too dumb to learn from recent mistakes and are just going to run the same old playbook they always run and get confused it doesn't work when someone has the time and $$$ to push back against it.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: January 13, 2021, 5:58 am
Raider Azz wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:21 pm Until I see the bodycam/security camera footage, i really don't give a flying **** what sob stories the cops have to share

I don't have much faith NSW Police will turn up looking roses here. Shades of the Scott case in the way they are playing media games.

I like how the police statement includes rubbish totally inadmissible as evidence- such as the police kindly informing us the state of mind patrons "would have" formed upon seeing the terrifying vision of 170cm Tom Starling in a bar; 'patrons would have “feared for their safety”'. Now the police are mind readers? Let's just make up our own witness reactions to suit and then include them in press releases shall we?

Yeah the opposing bail is a bit ridiculous too. Guy is a professional earning well into 6 figures but they reckon he's gonna skip town and go on another gun stealing rampage?
This is exactly how i read it. Was the female mentioned a police officer too? Or just mentioning that a female existed?
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Appears the intention of the sentence in the report is that there was a female police officer.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: January 13, 2021, 6:33 am Appears the intention of the sentence in the report is that there was a female police officer.
Well ive heard all i need to then
Dont delete this GE
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Funnily enough, they also felt the need to mention a female police officer in the Scott case too.

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Case closed
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raider Azz wrote: January 13, 2021, 6:50 am Funnily enough, they also felt the need to mention a female police officer in the Scott case too.

Yeah, it was an odd detail to include last time, so to do it again, some serious deja vu is going on
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ Mole exclusively reporting that Starling’s defence lawyer will be claiming that the event was incited by Donald Trump.

Trump’s lawyer (a Mr Giuliani) has been quoted as saying “It’s about time law enforcement got as organised as organised crime, and that Raiders defence attorneys structured their legal defence like the Melbourne Storm at a professional wrestling match”.

Mr Trump claims that video of him involved with WWE pro wrestling are fake news.

Kaboom!!!!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The bail refusal request is baffling, but then to double down on a 'female officer'? Are they suggesting that she was somehow vulnerable, all police officers are highly trained to deal with these situations and to use their weapons, if required - regardless of gender. Why they doing this ****?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Keeps sounding more and more sus and matching the MO for the Scott case completely...

What is wrong in NSW police?!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

No pre-judgement here but it doesn't read well hen the police feel it necessary to highlight the gender of one of the officers involved and make statements how other would have felt. Neither point should be relevant to the charges laid.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2021, 11:34 am No pre-judgement here but it doesn't read well hen the police feel it necessary to highlight the gender of one of the officers involved and make statements how other would have felt. Neither point should be relevant to the charges laid.
Try to set up the "feels" sets the stage for an "affray" charge- which is a bit more wishy washy than having to prove an assault and can include making others feel afraid.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: January 13, 2021, 12:03 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2021, 11:34 am No pre-judgement here but it doesn't read well hen the police feel it necessary to highlight the gender of one of the officers involved and make statements how other would have felt. Neither point should be relevant to the charges laid.
Try to set up the "feels" sets the stage for an "affray" charge- which is a bit more wishy washy than having to prove an assault and can include making others feel afraid.
So it's about building a fall back position. I imagine it would be difficult to prove the fear component unless people provide testimony that they did feel that way and it was due to the behaviour of the accused.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I know where they are coming from. I used to ‘fear’ the Raiders.

It was in 2017 when the Raiders had a big points lead in the second half. My fears were often proven correct as the lead turned to a deficit by full time.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

I wonder who his legal counsel is. I hope it is Sam Macedone as well.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: January 13, 2021, 11:20 am Keeps sounding more and more sus and matching the MO for the Scott case completely...

What is wrong in NSW police?!
It's actually jarring how close the MO is matching the Scott case. Like i had to double take to make sure i didnt misread it and i was actually re-read some of the scott stuff.

Just sit tight and we'll wait and see for me. NSW Police have probably not earned the BOTD based on our experience with them
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged with assaulting police

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, last time the police had complete benefit of the doubt for me. They still would have it after Scott too if it had just been that the case was dropped in light of the evidence. There’s a few bad eggs in any group after all. Them continuing to push it to trial in the face of a clear L really made me question the decisions and culture being made by leaders in the police force. Which is a real shame and a worry.

So yeah, who knows for this one and we’ll wait and see. But given it’s matched so closely I find it hard not to feel like the odds lie in Starling’s favour.