NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

Another Steelers INT! Browns run it back to the red zone. Chance to make it 28-0 before the end of the first quarter.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

They find the end zone again! 28-0 after 13:04
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Well... Browns could pump Steelers in back to back games
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Browns up by 12 at the start of the 4th. It would be such a Browns thing to do, to lose this. I like Pittsburgh but I'd love the Browns to win.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

As soon as I post Chugg goes in - really bad miss tackle from (2) Steelers.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gergreg wrote:As soon as I post Chugg goes in - really bad miss tackle from (2) Steelers.

Edit... sorry Chubb.

But on replay it looked like holding/offence .. but I'm no expert.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

It seems Dougie has been given his marching orders @Botman
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Dougie P gone. Whilst I think it’s a poor decision in the sense that Doug is a good coach, it is a good decision in the sense that it was clear that Doug can no longer work under Lurie. He did not seem happy, and they way he coached that last game showed. Looked like he was begrudgingly following orders to tank, and decided to make a mockery of it to stick it to Lurie.
So overall, a good decision to part ways.

Doug should be able to pick up one of the opening HC jobs. Chargers is my pick. Maybe Jags if the Urban Meyer route doesn’t eventuate.

Now the decision to retain Howie Roseman, that is a shocker. Eagles need to cut bait with him. And with Lurie interfering with the coaching staff, I’m not sure how coaches will view this vacancy relative to others. All NFC East teams have now changed coaches in a two year period.

Edit - can’t believe I forgot about the Jets as a HC option, especially with Joe Douglass as GM. That has to be the most likely option for Pederson, though the Jets being such a mess in general could be a turn off.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cowboys wasted no time, and appoint Dan Quinn, former Falcons HC our new DC.
Ummm....
This is the guy who gave up 40pts and lost the unloseable game to us this yr... oh wait... he lost the unloseable SB too.
Not sure about this 1
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: January 12, 2021, 10:09 am Cowboys wasted no time, and appoint Dan Quinn, former Falcons HC our new DC.
Ummm....
This is the guy who gave up 40pts and lost the unloseable game to us this yr... oh wait... he lost the unloseable SB too.
Not sure about this 1
It’s an interesting choice for sure. That defence for the Falcons has been awful for a number of years now. On the good side, he’s a players coach, so maybe he can get the best out of the Cowboys D.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

College football championship about to start. Crimson Tide should win but hopefully the Buckeyes can keep it competitive. Prediction: Tide by 11
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 12, 2021, 8:03 am Dougie P gone. Whilst I think it’s a poor decision in the sense that Doug is a good coach, it is a good decision in the sense that it was clear that Doug can no longer work under Lurie. He did not seem happy, and they way he coached that last game showed. Looked like he was begrudgingly following orders to tank, and decided to make a mockery of it to stick it to Lurie.
So overall, a good decision to part ways.

Doug should be able to pick up one of the opening HC jobs. Chargers is my pick. Maybe Jags if the Urban Meyer route doesn’t eventuate.

Now the decision to retain Howie Roseman, that is a shocker. Eagles need to cut bait with him. And with Lurie interfering with the coaching staff, I’m not sure how coaches will view this vacancy relative to others. All NFC East teams have now changed coaches in a two year period.

Edit - can’t believe I forgot about the Jets as a HC option, especially with Joe Douglass as GM. That has to be the most likely option for Pederson, though the Jets being such a mess in general could be a turn off.
No where for Howie to hide now
If the eagles suck again next year (and they will), then Roseman will have no one left to blame, nor Lurie
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

the bone wrote: January 12, 2021, 11:09 am College football championship about to start. Crimson Tide should win but hopefully the Buckeyes can keep it competitive. Prediction: Tide by 11
Incredible 1st half by Smith and Jones.
Tide up 35-17
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If Howie Roseman passes on Davonta Smith or Ja’Marr Chase, I might explode with rage
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 12, 2021, 6:05 pm If Howie Roseman passes on Davonta Smith or Ja’Marr Chase, I might explode with rage
Lamb vs Jeudy all over again (I realise u couldn't get Jeudy)
Will you get it right the 2nd time?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 12, 2021, 7:12 pm
Botman wrote: January 12, 2021, 6:05 pm If Howie Roseman passes on Davonta Smith or Ja’Marr Chase, I might explode with rage
I'm already photoshopping a Dolphins jersey on Smith.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neither of those guys were available to select when we picked... I don’t think that will be the case this time around... I am relatively confident ONE of them will be there
Unless the bengals take chase to pair back up with Burrow and the dolphins take Smith to do the same with Tua... but in that scenario someone like Sewell has fallen and we could probably get a nice haul to trade back (or just take Waddle who I have behind the other two wrs but not by a lot)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2021, 3:12 pm
I'm already photoshopping a Dolphins jersey on Smith.
:thumbsup
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coaching merry-go-round begins.
Meyer is the Jags new HC.
Saleh is the Jets new HC.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Interesting hires so far... some thoughts

the jags is probably the one i like least, but that team probably needs someone like Meyer... we'll see if his culture/programme building skills can translate to the next level. But if it does, Meyer, with Lawrence could be a stunningly great combination and a real franchise altering move. It's worth the swing, even if they miss.

Smith to the Falcons is interesting, i think Matt Ryan projects really well in that sort of system but i would be very tempted to let him pick a QB in this class and let him get to work. I would bet my life on the idea that Kyle Shanny and the Niners would be very eager to trade picks to get Matty Ice in the building

The Lions taking Dan Campbell is i think a solid C hire. There are some elements of Campbell i like, and he's a hard turn away from Patricia. Players will run through walls for Campbell, they'll be much tougher and united under him but i dont know what else he brings to the table.

Saleh is another one im super interested in. From all reports, he's an incredibly liked coach. Players LOVE him. He's apparently a super impressiver leader, which is important. But some reservations. Firstly i dont like defensive coaches, i just dont think thats where the game is heading. Vic Fangio is an astoundingly great defensive coach, and it an uninsirpring HC. Also Saleh comes from a schematic background, the Seattle cover 3 defence is dying in the league (LOL @ Dallas hiring Dan Quinn). I am bouyed by the idea of brining Mike LeFluer with him as OC.

Based on this, for my eagles... Brian Daball, Joe Brady and Lincoln Riley are the guys i want most i guess. Im going to be very unimpressed if it ends up being Deuce Staley or Mike Kafka
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

My thoughts are along the same lines.

Urban Meyer, people are treating him like the next messiah, but NFL is a different beast to College. I’m guessing in a few years he’ll retire for a third time, leaving the Jags in the lurch.

Robert Saleh - sounds like players love his intensity, and he’s had some good success in San Fran. But I don’t see him being the coach to turn this franchise around. I think he’ll have a similar trajectory to Todd Bowles... he’ll eek out a 10 win season, but ultimately be moved on after 4 seasons.

Arthur Smith - of the 3 official announcements so far, I like this one the best. He’s done a good job in Tennessee, turning Tannehill’s career around, leading Derrick Henry to back-to-back rushing titles, and helped AJ Brown emerge as a #1 receiver. He should be able to do good things with this Falcons offence that has some nice pieces in place already.

My prediction for the Eagles is that they go with a defensive minded Head Coach so that Lurie and Howie can keep their influence on the offensive coaches without stepping on the toes of the HC’s specialty area. Rams DC Brandon Staley could be an option.
Alternatively they could pick someone quite inexperienced like Joe Brady, and use his youth as a reason not to give him full control of his offensive staff. Someone like Brady would be fine with that, as he would jump at any opportunity to be a HC. Other more experienced coaches, especially those with options, would want full control of their own staff, so doubt they be a good fit for the Eagles.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Packers lead 19-10 at the half. TDs to Adams, Rodgers, and Van Jefferson for the Rams.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Aaron Jones rips off a 60 yard run on the first play of the second half.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Packer's O-line is destroying the Rams.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: January 17, 2021, 9:12 am Aaron Jones rips off a 60 yard run on the first play of the second half.
That play was text book blocking and running.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: January 17, 2021, 9:16 am Packer's O-line is destroying the Rams.
Rodgers is getting a lot of time in the pocket
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Akers scores from the Wildcat formation and then the Rams run a nice 2-pt play to get them back within 7. GB lead 25-18.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Packers score again. They look to have the game under control but Rams won't go away.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

NFC Championship is going through Lambeau. Packers felt in control most of the game, though as you said NR, the Rams wouldn’t quite go away.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bree's or Brady to meet ARod.
Who ya got?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Ravens and Bills 3 apiece at the half. Both teams struggling to get the ball down field. No red zone plays at all.
Last edited by Northern Raider on January 17, 2021, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Liked the coach chat too chaps. Insightful.

Botman, im ok with Quinn and his 1 high safety, and LEO position. Our D players doesn't seem to be too bright, so simple is better. Maranelli had them playing half decent with a similar style, and that should be enough with our Off. Our biggest issue is getting more player help on that side of the ball. And let's face it.... he cant be much worse than Nolan.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Baltimore in trouble here, down 17-3 half way through the 4th quarter, whilst Lamar Jackson has been ruled out with a concussion. Former Utah Ute Tyler Huntley in at QB for the Ravens.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Lamar Jackson great athlete but mediocre QB
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Chiefs beat the Browns 22-17, great game. Mahomes was ruled out in the second half with a concussion. He’ll be in concussion protocol all week and presumably questionable for the AFC Championship game. For what it’s worth, the hit on Mahomes looked pretty innocuous... it wasn’t really clear what caused the concussion.