The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:09 am I don't think much blame goes to the pitch when all 4 results were just about in play in the final session Day 5 (Jadeja's injury notwithstanding). Especially when the bowling team drop 4 clear cut chances and the opposition end up 5 down... Innings scores between 340 and 240 all game... Wickets shared by quicks and spinners... Quick enough to break a bone for the quicks and spun enough for Lyon to be the key man on Day 5 (got 2 and had 2 or 3 dropped that would have opened the gate to the tail and further wickets).

I'd say that wicket did it's job.

It didn't break up -quite- as much Day 5 as some Sydney wickets but it was quite a wet, cool summer leading into the game.
Agreed.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:10 am
bonehead wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:09 am curator said pre test he struggled to prepare with the weather but these drop ins have been ordinary for a few years now

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
The SCG isn't a drop in pitch. They've deliberately avoided it due to the lifeless nature of the old drop ins (Adelaides is ok though). It's the same old Sydney pitch- just the weather affected the prep minimally, Oz dropped a bunch of clangers, India batted well and Starc was bog ordinary for mine. Maybe they all looked a tiny bit flat.
Starc looked tired yesterday. Genuinely tired. Thats what happens when you aren't used to going all 5 days. However, he produced 2 good spells yesterday that both lead to drops, so his none for, could have been 2+++
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Do we have any word on Warner's groin or Puc's shoulder?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:16 am Not arguing Australia should have iced the game. Neither team took 20 wickets though, and with the quality of the bowling attacks (and the average nature of Australia's batting line up overall) that says something to me. This is not the first year the SCG has been like this either, as has already been pointed out.
Neither side took 20 wickets, coz neither side took their catches. Both teams dropped multiple chances in both innings. Im not sure how many, but here are a few I remember, Pant dropped Puc twice, Vihari dropped 1, even Rahane dropped 1. Abbott and Paine in the 2nd innings. Pretty sure Smith dropped 1 in the 1st innings. So, the bowlers did their job, and the fielders didn't back them up.

I believe this pitch was better than the last 2yrs.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Yep, blaming the deck is a bit of a cop out when so many catches were dropped. India also missed Jadeja in the 2nd innings. He's been an effective wicket taker this series. I'd also question Australia's bowling choices in that last session. Batsmen weren't running and it was a clear tactic to shield Ashwin from the quicks. Pace from both ends takes that away. Lyon wasn't really threatening on the last day and was probably over bowled. A few more overs for Labuschagne would have been worth a try.

Anyway it's all hindsight now and we don't know what would have happened otherwise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

You aren't listening Matt. I didn't say australia shoudln't have won and blew their opportunities, nor that India didn't bat well, I'm saying there's been a pattern of ordinary SCG decks for a few years now.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 12, 2021, 10:37 am You aren't listening Matt. I didn't say australia shoudln't have won and blew their opportunities, nor that India didn't bat well, I'm saying there's been a pattern of ordinary SCG decks for a few years now.
I heard that.
Im saying that this deck was fine.
Its better than the last 2
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I don't agree it was fine. Not an MCG stinker from 2-3 years back, but certainly not great.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 12, 2021, 11:12 am I don't agree it was fine. Not an MCG stinker from 2-3 years back, but certainly not great.
What did u want it to do?

Put it this way, if both teams hold their catches, this is a late 3, to mid 4 day game. Is the pitch a problem then?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:09 am curator said pre test he struggled to prepare with the weather but these drop ins have been ordinary for a few years now

The SCG isn't a drop in pitch. They've deliberately avoided it due to the lifeless nature of the old drop ins (Adelaides is ok though). It's the same old Sydney pitch- just the weather affected the prep minimally, Oz dropped a bunch of clangers, India batted well and Starc was bog ordinary for mine. Maybe they all looked a tiny bit flat.
I thought Sydney went drop in a few years ago happy to be corrected.

Starc has looked underdone but was coming off a foot injury from memory.

Look forward to the Gabba, shame it's not the following week where I'll be stuck at home

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: January 12, 2021, 11:15 am
Azza wrote: January 12, 2021, 11:12 am I don't agree it was fine. Not an MCG stinker from 2-3 years back, but certainly not great.

Put it this way, if both teams hold their catches, this is a late 3, to mid 4 day game. Is the pitch a problem then?
To do the hokey pokey and to turn about.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 12, 2021, 11:17 am
Matt wrote: January 12, 2021, 11:15 am

To do the hokey pokey and to turn about.
:lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bumrah ruled out of the Gabba test. That's their top 4 quicks all gone now plus Jadeja. No excuses for the Aussie bats now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: January 12, 2021, 11:16 am I thought Sydney went drop in a few years ago happy to be corrected.

Look forward to the Gabba, shame it's not the following week where I'll be stuck at home

The SCG formed a committee to look at it, but it hasn't been done. NSW Cricket and CA chairman are dead against it. Cricket being the reason the vast majority of members joined, I don't think they'll do it anytime soon.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

I thought Sydney went drop in a few years ago happy to be corrected.

Nah, the square hasn't had the same traffic it normally has this year, that would be the main reason it held up so well.. but made for a dull test.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: January 12, 2021, 3:48 pm Bumrah ruled out of the Gabba test. That's their top 4 quicks all gone now plus Jadeja. No excuses for the Aussie bats now.
Yeah that is a huge blow.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Should've left Joe Burns in the squad and lent him to them.

Think they've got 11 fit players

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Azza wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: January 12, 2021, 3:48 pm Bumrah ruled out of the Gabba test. That's their top 4 quicks all gone now plus Jadeja. No excuses for the Aussie bats now.
would you say it's a bit of a pain in the bumrah for the Indian side?

Where's Instant Karma is he in the squad?

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:
Azza wrote:

Nope, he was injured and probably would only be fit for Brisbane

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: January 12, 2021, 4:47 pm
Azza wrote:

Thats gangers level mate :clap:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 12, 2021, 4:29 pm
Pant dodgy elbow... hahahaha
Ashwin bad back
3 front line quicks - Shama, Yadev, Bumrah
Jadeja
Vihari
Thats rough!

Add in Kohli went home.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I didn't get to watch the final day but did listen to the ABC broadcast a fair bit in the car. The commentators were critical of the amount of short stuff the Australians bowled. Not enough at the stumps. Dropped catches once again and Paine with gloves not taking chances an International keeper should swallow up they said. The side gets into good positions in matches but then doesn't finish the job. Full credit to the Indians for gutsy batting when it mattered.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: January 12, 2021, 7:21 pm
Ashwin bad back
Jadeja
Vihari
Thats rough!

Add in Kohli went home.
They've done pretty well considering. If that's Australia's injury ward we're really in trouble.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 12, 2021, 8:17 pm
Ashwin bad back
Jadeja
Vihari
Thats rough!

Add in Kohli went home.
They've done pretty well considering. If that's Australia's injury ward we're really in trouble.
Mohammed Shami out too
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: January 12, 2021, 8:09 pm I didn't get to watch the final day but did listen to the ABC broadcast a fair bit in the car. The commentators were critical of the amount of short stuff the Australians bowled. Not enough at the stumps. Dropped catches once again and Paine with gloves not taking chances an International keeper should swallow up they said. The side gets into good positions in matches but then doesn't finish the job. Full credit to the Indians for gutsy batting when it mattered.
It was genuine bodyline approach. Well executed and didn't work so you have to say it was an error in strategy. Tim Paine copping the grief but Justin Langer would be equally guilty.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:02 pm
Ashwin bad back
Jadeja
Vihari
Thats rough!

Add in Kohli went home.
Mohammed Shami out too
Sorry, Shama, should read Shami. Did Ishant even travel here?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:05 pm
RedRaider wrote: January 12, 2021, 8:09 pm I didn't get to watch the final day but did listen to the ABC broadcast a fair bit in the car. The commentators were critical of the amount of short stuff the Australians bowled. Not enough at the stumps. Dropped catches once again and Paine with gloves not taking chances an International keeper should swallow up they said. The side gets into good positions in matches but then doesn't finish the job. Full credit to the Indians for gutsy batting when it mattered.
It was genuine bodyline approach. Well executed and didn't work so you have to say it was an error in strategy. Tim Paine copping the grief but Justin Langer would be equally guilty.
The 7 commentators while Starc was bowling, should be looking to bowl a few yorkers with the short stuff, seeing as though he has a couple of good ones. Didnt bowl a single one. Once he bowled the 5th stump line no one was there to catch nicks.

Cummins bowled short or that 5th stump line. Very few at the wickets.

Hazelwood did try to hit the pads. He bowled very well. Good line and length, mixed with aiming at getting an LBW or bowled.

I still don't get why Green isn't used more regularly. Labu bowled more than he did on day 5.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: January 13, 2021, 6:30 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 12, 2021, 9:02 pm

Ashwin bad back
Jadeja
Vihari
Thats rough!

Add in Kohli went home.
Mohammed Shami out too
Sorry, Shama, should read Shami. Did Ishant even travel here?
No
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 13, 2021, 6:35 am
The 7 commentators while Starc was bowling, should be looking to bowl a few yorkers with the short stuff, seeing as though he has a couple of good ones. Didnt bowl a single one. Once he bowled the 5th stump line no one was there to catch nicks.

Hazelwood did try to hit the pads. He bowled very well. Good line and length, mixed with aiming at getting an LBW or bowled.

I still don't get why Green isn't used more regularly. Labu bowled more than he did on day 5.
Green was fairly innocuous in all his spells so I can understand not using him more.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 12, 2021, 4:47 pm
Azza wrote:

Thats gangers level mate :clap:
John Lennon song, I can't not swap Ishant Sharma and Instant Karma (probably be seen as racist now, awaits moral compass true North cueball to arrive)

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2021, 8:42 am
Matt wrote: January 13, 2021, 6:35 am

Green was fairly innocuous in all his spells so I can understand not using him more.
I feel like he has been told to just bowl tight. Bowl that 5th stump line and the odd bouncer. Dont do anything tricky - coz he even did that vs the tail rather than attack the stumps to get that 1st wicket.
However, when he attacks the stumps, he looks better. TBH, so did Watto when played this role.
Id be telling him to bowl between middle and that 4th stump line, with the odd bouncer. Then set the field straight, look to get them playing across the line.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Makes zero sense to get somebody to bowl a containment line when you're chasing wickets and the batsmen are not trying to score.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2021, 2:03 pm Makes zero sense to get somebody to bowl a containment line when you're chasing wickets and the batsmen are not trying to score.
Agreed
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: January 11, 2021, 5:25 pm Warner
Labu
Smith
Maxwell
head
phillipe
green
Cummins
Pattinson
lyon
hazewood

This is ducking hilarious if it’s not a pisstake. Let’s drop the best keeper in Australia who’s also the captain for the backup keeper from WA (who’s probably their 3rd in line option given they have 3 FC keepers in the XI he doesn’t make)
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 11, 2021, 5:25 pm Warner
Labu
Smith
Maxwell
head
phillipe
green
Cummins
Pattinson
lyon
hazewood

This is ducking hilarious if it’s not a pisstake. Let’s drop the best keeper in Australia who’s also the captain for the backup keeper from WA (who’s probably their 3rd in line option given they have 3 FC keepers in the XI he doesn’t make)
best keeper batsman in the country, screw Paine

Edrick The Entertainer