Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2021, 3:41 pm
Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 3:12 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2021, 2:58 pm
Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 2:26 pm
bonehead wrote: January 10, 2021, 2:18 pm everyone loved Andrew Symonds but don't want Maxwell, seems like for like to me

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Similar enough, agreed
Except as a Test player Symonds scored a lot more runs at a much better average and took more wickets at a better average. Same can be said for their First Class records too.

The talk about Maxy playing test cricket is the dumbest conversation going in the cricket media.
1st class.
Symo avg 42 and a bit, from 227 games, 376 innings, 14477 total runs.

Maxy tick under 40, from 67 games, 112 innings, 4061 total runs.

At this avg, in the same innings, Maxy would score 13,633 runs
Given that he's played 4 First Class matches in the last 3 years he'll need to play a long time to reach those types of numbers.
Yup.
Another reason to dump 50 over cricket. Its a dead version. Play more of the other 2
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 5:49 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2021, 2:58 pm
Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 2:26 pm

Similar enough, agreed
Except as a Test player Symonds scored a lot more runs at a much better average and took more wickets at a better average. Same can be said for their First Class records too.

The talk about Maxy playing test cricket is the dumbest conversation going in the cricket media.
1st class.

Given that he's played 4 First Class matches in the last 3 years he'll need to play a long time to reach those types of numbers.
Yup.
Another reason to dump 50 over cricket. Its a dead version. Play more of the other 2
Another Matt special :lol:

One day cricket is fine - I prefer it to 20/20 and always have. It's the amount of meaningless games played that's the issue.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Azza wrote:
Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 5:49 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2021, 2:58 pm Except as a Test player Symonds scored a lot more runs at a much better average and took more wickets at a better average. Same can be said for their First Class records too.

1st class.

Yup.
Another Matt special Image

One day cricket is fine - I prefer it to 20/20 and always have. It's the amount of meaningless games played that's the issue.
nah I'm with Matt, 50 over is boring

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's because it's been mismanaged and played way too much, it used to be good. I hate 20/20 personally
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I used to enjoy the 50 over stuff. But T20 is destroying it. Call it a Matt special if u like, but World cricket and the general public seem to agree. There is a T20 tournament in every country, even ones you didn't know played cricket.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2021, 1:40 pm Nice to see Green get 50 but in the context of the game it's been way too slow.
From Cam after his knock today.

Cameron Green says he owes it to captain Tim Paine who "just gave me so much confidence."

"He came out and started whacking the ball everywhere and took the pressure off me a little bit so I could just do my own thing."
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I accept the one day cricket game has regressed quite a lot. However to me that's largely mismanagement on the part of the ICC allowing too many pointless tournaments to be played.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 10, 2021, 7:12 pm I accept the one day cricket game has regressed quite a lot. However to me that's largely mismanagement on the part of the ICC allowing too many pointless tournaments to be played.
Thats part of it.
The watching public is a big part too.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I don't get the argument. IMO if the number of one day matches had been reduced several years ago, the value to the viewing public would have increased. There was a time when I would love watching world cup cricket - probably up until around 2003 they were super intense and exciting.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 10, 2021, 8:20 pm I don't get the argument. IMO if the number of one day matches had been reduced several years ago, the value to the viewing public would have increased. There was a time when I would love watching world cup cricket - probably up until around 2003 they were super intense and exciting.
iGen dont have the staying power. They need it "now", so T20 works
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's just too much cricket now

The fact there's a game of some kind on tv pretty much every night for 4 months is overkill.

The bbl goes for about a month too long to the point where the games lose quality

When I was growing up it was a 5 then became a 6 test summer (outside of the Ashes) then a tri series or 5 game ODI series

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: January 10, 2021, 9:00 pm There's just too much cricket now

The fact there's a game of some kind on tv pretty much every night for 4 months is overkill.

The bbl goes for about a month too long to the point where the games lose quality

When I was growing up it was a 5 then became a 6 test summer (outside of the Ashes) then a tri series or 5 game ODI series

Indeed. I believe T20 is taking the ODIs air time. Its also taking more player time. So dump 50 over cricket
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I pretty much just watch test cricket when I can now, between work and kids I don't have the time to watch session after session but you can just see the world cricket trend of t20 focus.

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m a big big fan of test cricket.

Grew up on it.

The pyjama versions are ok.

And yes..T20 is the future but imo test cricket will always rule.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 8:28 pm
Azza wrote: January 10, 2021, 8:20 pm I don't get the argument. IMO if the number of one day matches had been reduced several years ago, the value to the viewing public would have increased. There was a time when I would love watching world cup cricket - probably up until around 2003 they were super intense and exciting.
Yeah right that's probably true. But that also means Test cricket is in danger. I love test cricket.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 11, 2021, 7:16 am
Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 8:28 pm
Yeah right that's probably true. But that also means Test cricket is in danger. I love test cricket.
Test cricket is my go too. I watch as much as I possibly can.
And yes, I think its in danger too.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dunno. Maybe they'll find Test cricket amenable as it's a game paced so that you can text, tweet and take selfies beyween balls or quiet spells...
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BadnMean wrote: January 11, 2021, 9:40 am Dunno. Maybe they'll find Test cricket amenable as it's a game paced so that you can text, tweet and take selfies beyween balls or quiet spells...
I fear for our future.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 7:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 10, 2021, 1:40 pm Nice to see Green get 50 but in the context of the game it's been way too slow.

Cameron Green says he owes it to captain Tim Paine who "just gave me so much confidence."

"He came out and started whacking the ball everywhere and took the pressure off me a little bit so I could just do my own thing."
I said in the context of the game. After he got to 50 he started hitting out. Showed he was batting for a milestone rather than what Australia needed at the time, which was to accelerate the scoring.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 9:12 pm

Indeed. I believe T20 is taking the ODIs air time. Its also taking more player time. So dump 50 over cricket
Yep, reckon we can get it down to those 2 formats now. 50 over cricket seems like a drawn out T20.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2021, 10:04 am
Matt wrote: January 10, 2021, 9:12 pm

Yep, reckon we can get it down to those 2 formats now. 50 over cricket seems like a drawn out T20.
Unfortunately, this seems to be what's happened, yes
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2021, 10:01 am

I said in the context of the game. After he got to 50 he started hitting out. Showed he was batting for a milestone rather than what Australia needed at the time, which was to accelerate the scoring.
I get where your coming from, but it wasn't like Smith was in a hurry. Paine came out and played shots, which seemed to get Green going. I guess the point Green made was that he isnt comfortable at this level yet, but an innings like that will help. He is more likely to back himself next time.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He's a young man at the start of his career, I can't blame him for doing that, most would.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 11, 2021, 10:20 am

He's a young man at the start of his career, I can't blame him for doing that, most would.
100% And what i said originally.
Its a stats based game.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Should we be worried about pant making us look a bit pants yet tho aye.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:

I get where your coming from, but it wasn't like Smith was in a hurry. Paine came out and played shots, which seemed to get Green going. I guess the point Green made was that he isnt comfortable at this level yet, but an innings like that will help. He is more likely to back himself next time.
Our batting has been garbage for some time, if you exclude Smith and Labu. So if there is another guy looking to contribute in that area you let him go. A day (5th day wicket) plus one session should be enough to dismiss a touring side.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: January 11, 2021, 10:55 am Should we be worried about pant making us look a bit pants yet tho aye.
Doesn’t help when Starc is chucking pies at him..
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-PJ- wrote: January 11, 2021, 11:05 am
Azza wrote: January 11, 2021, 10:55 am Should we be worried about pant making us look a bit pants yet tho aye.
Always been up and down but he's just as likely to get wickets late in the day.

Pitch looks flat. Would be gutted if we somehow let this slip.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: January 11, 2021, 11:10 am
-PJ- wrote: January 11, 2021, 11:05 am
Always been up and down but he's just as likely to get wickets late in the day.

Pitch looks flat. Would be gutted if we somehow let this slip.
They won’t get the runs. To sustain this momentum for another 2 sessions is too much. Even with Pant in T20 mode it won’t last forever. It’s a long day ahead. We’ll get a break thru and it’ll open up eventually..

I HOPE..🙏
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Glad you're not worried.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Lunch day 5

IND 3/206

Pujara 41*
Pant 73*

Need another 201 runs to win.

Good session for IND.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 11, 2021, 10:27 am
Azza wrote: January 11, 2021, 10:20 am

100% And what i said originally.
Its a stats based game.
That confirms what I said then.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm worried.