Canberra‘s 15-year absence from holding top position is by far longest of any NRL side

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra‘s 15-year absence from holding top position is by far longest of any NRL side

Post by greeneyed »

They were the ragtag bunch of misfits but 2005 Canberra Raiders still own a unique slice of history. They were the last Canberra team to occupy first place on the ladder.

“We had some young, exciting players coming through, the likes of Todd Carney and Michael Dobson, and I really thought we needed some experience, some players who had tasted success. Smithy was a player I’d always really admired because of his understanding of footy ,” said their coach Matt Elliott.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 35835ba30f
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra‘s 15-year absence from holding top position is by far longest of any NRL side

Post by greeneyed »

In the era of the NRL, the Raiders have only spent 15 weeks in first place. Only the Cowboys (10), Titans (6), Warriors (3) and Tigers (1) have spent less time in first. The Storm (126), Broncos (95), Dragons (64) and Roosters (48) make up the top four teams. Last time the Raiders were first was Round 6, 2005.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra‘s 15-year absence from holding top position is by far longest of any NRL side

Post by -PJ- »

We held top spot for at least 24hrs after our rnd 1 victory last year.

Close thread.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2021, 2:03 pm In the era of the NRL, the Raiders have only spent 15 weeks in first place. Only the Cowboys (10), Titans (6), Warriors (3) and Tigers (1) have spent less time in first. The Storm (126), Broncos (95), Dragons (64) and Roosters (48) make up the top four teams. Last time the Raiders were first was Round 6, 2005.
Yet since the NRL was established in 1998 the Cowboys have played in three grand finals compared to four from the Broncos and just two from the Dragons.

Not sure what that says other than it's obviously more important to peak in the last month of the year compared with the first.

To be honest I'm absolutely gobsmacked we've had 15 weeks in first place since 1998. That simply can't be correct - unless it doesn't include for and against - in which case we were on top in the first three rounds of last season. With F/A considered I would have guessed it was 5 weeks at number one tops.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Half of that 15 was probably 2003
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some helpful people on the ol' Ruben Wikipedia have created tables showing the points for each round and who was on top.

There is no way we have led the comp for 15 weeks over the last 23 years.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2021, 2:03 pm In the era of the NRL, the Raiders have only spent 15 weeks in first place. Only the Cowboys (10), Titans (6), Warriors (3) and Tigers (1) have spent less time in first. The Storm (126), Broncos (95), Dragons (64) and Roosters (48) make up the top four teams. Last time the Raiders were first was Round 6, 2005.
Yet since the NRL was established in 1998 the Cowboys have played in three grand finals compared to four from the Broncos and just two from the Dragons.

Not sure what that says other than it's obviously more important to peak in the last month of the year compared with the first.

To be honest I'm absolutely gobsmacked we've had 15 weeks in first place since 1998. That simply can't be correct - unless it doesn't include for and against - in which case we were on top in the first three rounds of last season. With F/A considered I would have guessed it was 5 weeks at number one tops.
Yeah Dragons in particular tend to forget how many rounds are in an NRL season
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Meaningless stat. The Knights spent the first month in top spot a few years ago.

I recall my Knights supporter mate was absolutely giving it to my Roosters supporter mate at the time.

He responded with "Haha only Knights supporters are cheering about being first in April. Let's see where they are at the end of the year". End of the year result? Knights wooden spoon, Roosters premiers.

Checkmate.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

From memory we had a bye in the first round (so two points) then had a couple at home and beat a pretty ordinary Souths team up in Sydney.

We went to Manly in Round 6, got spanked and had a very ordinary year after that.

I do remember Jason Smith being a late inclusion mid year and kicking a winning field goal against the Cowboys.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 7, 2021, 4:01 pm Some helpful people on the ol' Ruben Wikipedia have created tables showing the points for each round and who was on top.

Weren’t we on top for a fair portion of 2003?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: January 7, 2021, 6:26 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 7, 2021, 4:01 pm Some helpful people on the ol' Ruben Wikipedia have created tables showing the points for each round and who was on top.

Weren’t we on top for a fair portion of 2003?
There you go, good call. Seems we were on top for 9 weeks! Two more in 2005.

I take it all back then. :lol:

Couldn't be bothered finding out where thr other 4 come from. Pretty sad stuff.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I appreciate this man's writing style and he's a great follow on twitter.
Genuinely awesome writer, who has a great sense of humour, and this is not a slight on him

But i... i dont really care about this stat? We have made a 3 prelims in 5 years and a GF... i dont need to be in first place to know the team can compete for a title. Obviously you'd love to be some juggernaut that dominates the competition... doesnt seem to work out as much as you'd think in the big game.

Im good with where we are generally though the current era of Raiders footy is coming to an end i think
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Well, the guys at the top of the stat have won all the bloody comps. so that's why I reckon the stat has relevance. We don't feature and we've won **** all. We've had some nice teams. So did Cronulla in Et's day or Manly in the 90s- they won bugger all (ARL '96 I guess is kinda a win).
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I can think of a few clubs who would take the Tigers' one week if it came with a Premiership.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The funny thing about this stat (which shows how irrelevant it is) is the last season we were on top of the table we ended with our worst finish since 1982.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:I appreciate this man's writing style and he's a great follow on twitter.
Genuinely awesome writer, who has a great sense of humour, and this is not a slight on him

But i... i dont really care about this stat? We have made a 3 prelims in 5 years and a GF... i dont need to be in first place to know the team can compete for a title. Obviously you'd love to be some juggernaut that dominates the competition... doesnt seem to work out as much as you'd think in the big game.

Im good with where we are generally though the current era of Raiders footy is coming to an end i think
Penrith 2020, end discussion.

Would rather come 8th and win the comp than canter into the finals and go MIA when it matters

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I want us to be on top all year AND win the GF.
We will go on undefeated.
Obviously we will cop a try every 2-3 games but I can stomach that.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

1992 wrote: February 10, 2021, 12:34 pm
Obviously we will cop a try every 2-3 games but I can stomach that.
Each try to be followed by heads rolling and captains shifted to wing.