Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: January 7, 2021, 8:42 am
afgtnk wrote: January 7, 2021, 8:25 am He's gonna go quietly, they all said.
Who said that? I've consistently said all along it could go either way and there'd be no middle ground.

He'd either slink quietly into the night or something like this would happen.
Lol. You've thought that all along.

There's been absolutely nothing to suggest that the guy or his lunatics will go away quietly. Every single sign has indicated that there will be chaos.

Unless I'm dead wrong, this should still only be the beginning of it.
Last edited by afgtnk on January 7, 2021, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: January 7, 2021, 10:48 am For me the most worrying thing is there are still a not-insignificant number of Trump apologists out there, marinating in their social media ecosystem which is nothing more than a farcical echo-chamber of baseless propaganda.

They genuinely, wholeheartedly believe that they are the true patriots and custodians of the truth and those living in the real world are the traitors to democracy.
It is genuinely EXTREMELY concerning when you read some of the pollution these people spew out into social media and genuinely believe.

It's a worrying time for society.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: January 7, 2021, 10:49 am
The Nickman wrote: January 7, 2021, 8:42 am
afgtnk wrote: January 7, 2021, 8:25 am He's gonna go quietly, they all said.
Who said that? I've consistently said all along it could go either way and there'd be no middle ground.

He'd either slink quietly into the night or something like this would happen.
Lol. You've thought that all along.
I mean, you couldn't be more wrong, but keep it up.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: January 5, 2021, 5:08 pm
gangrenous wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:59 pm So far all the concerning dates in the US have come and gone without significant events. Hopefully continue that way...
I still think the likely scenario from all this is Trump slinks away, starts his own news network and runs again in 2024.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: January 7, 2021, 10:51 am
The Nickman wrote: January 5, 2021, 5:08 pm
gangrenous wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:59 pm So far all the concerning dates in the US have come and gone without significant events. Hopefully continue that way...
I still think the likely scenario from all this is Trump slinks away, starts his own news network and runs again in 2024.
That's just cherry picking, go back and read ALL of my posts on the topic over the last twelve months and still try and assert that I've thought this "all along".

Jesus wept, this is pretty poor, even for you.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: November 12, 2020, 10:48 am I think it's highly more likely that Trump clings on for dear life, but eventually hands over begrudgingly after placing enough doubt in enough people's minds about the validity of the election. Biden then gains the Presidency.

Trump then goes away and buys his own media company, spends the next four years pumping America with "fake news" and runs again in 2024.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I mean you've quoted that post of mine which comes directly after this one...
The Nickman wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:12 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:10 pm Doesn't sound like he has the power not to.
Yeah, that's probably correct, otherwise why would so many VP's over the years have actually done it?

Either way, tomorrow's (US time) rallies in DC could either be a complete bloodbath or an absolute fizzer... there is no in-between.
And I started THIS VERY THREAD pointing out that today could be the absolute mess it is... good grief, afgthgrtjrjrthrh
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

This is such a weird fight to pick, but not unusual given the man picking it, I guess.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: November 12, 2020, 10:22 pm
gangrenous wrote:I don’t think Trump has it in him to throw a coup or actively incite violence.

Chuck a hissy fit - yes. Not denounce someone if they do get violent - yes. But I just don’t think him actively leading anything violent is in him. I think he’ll tantrum to the very end, but ultimately will go.
Yeah, that’s pretty much exactly how I see it’ll play out too
I mean not that any of what we're saying matters, but probably best to just walk away at this point, eh?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yep, agreed.

Just such a weird fight to be trying to pick.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Amazing speech just given by Mike Pence as they restart the count.
Last edited by The Nickman on January 7, 2021, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pence makes a very good statement... he's going to come out of this pretty well, probably better than he deserves to.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:10 am Pence makes a very good statement... he's going to come out of this pretty well, probably better than he deserves to.
Yeah, I'm very impressed by how Pence has carried himself the last few days and those words were fantastic.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'm just correcting a clearly false statement of yours. No fights being picked.

Anyway, very interesting and dangerous times. Instead of yielding, the guy purposely pushed it this far - this was always going to be the result. Banning him from Twitter, locking down his supporters, silencing them will only make this worse.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 7, 2021, 9:59 am
gangrenous wrote:Edit - Fui that Twitter handle doesn’t match well the content. That guy very confused?
Yeah I thought the same when I saw it.
It’s actually not
Joe Biden has a complicated history with his race politics
His remarks around the time it was being drafted and his role in the 94 crime bill, which has been disastrous for black America have not been forgotten by a lot of people
And nor should

Biden got elected largely on the back of the black vote but that has more to do with Harris and Trump than it does Biden
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote:I don’t think Trump has it in him to throw a coup or actively incite violence.

Chuck a hissy fit - yes. Not denounce someone if they do get violent - yes. But I just don’t think him actively leading anything violent is in him. I think he’ll tantrum to the very end, but ultimately will go.
I mean not that any of what we're saying matters, but probably best to just walk away at this point, eh?
For me, I stand by what you’ve quoted me saying. I think I’ve nailed what happened.

Trump is more than willing to bitch and moan and lie in ways that encourage people to do stupid, dangerous and highly illegal stuff. But he still sees himself as the good guy hero in all this, and to keep with that story he’s not going to cross into publicly calling for violence or a coup.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Edit - Fui that Twitter handle doesn’t match well the content. That guy very confused?
It’s actually not
His remarks around the time it was being drafted and his role in the 94 crime bill, which has been disastrous for black America have not been forgotten by a lot of people
And nor should

Biden got elected largely on the back of the black vote but that has more to do with Harris and Trump than it does Biden
I mean sure, but pick your battles? We’ve had this discussion before about how the greens killed an ETS etc. The left need to spend a bit less time insisting the other is perfect while Trump is in the room.

Unless he’d changed it recently and considered the Trump battle over with Biden’s election, which I guess is an argument you can make... but it’s obviously far from over
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Trump was leading the count 12-0 when the session was interrupted.

No wonder he stopped the count!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:26 am
Botman wrote:
It’s actually not
And nor should

I mean sure, but pick your battles? We’ve had this discussion before about how the greens killed an ETS etc. The left need to spend a bit less time insisting the other is perfect while Trump is in the room.

Unless he’d changed it recently and considered the Trump battle over with Biden’s election, which I guess is an argument you can make... but it’s obviously far from over
Yeah absolutely agree. It's ok to just let the sleeping dog lie when the alternative is Trumpism
But i can understand someone feeling that way about Biden, though i think he's going to do a lot in this term to right those past wrongs
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:
It’s actually not
And nor should

Thanks for that, adds insight
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:22 am
afgtnk wrote:

For me, I stand by what you’ve quoted me saying. I think I’ve nailed what happened.

Trump is more than willing to bitch and moan and lie in ways that encourage people to do stupid, dangerous and highly illegal stuff. But he still sees himself as the good guy hero in all this, and to keep with that story he’s not going to cross into publicly calling for violence or a coup.
Think this is a bit more than just a tantrum.

He's tried to force election officials and state politicians to overturn results in his favour. We've heard one tape, **** knows how many other times he's attempted it.

Stacked parts of the defence institutions with loyalists right after the election, who no doubt would in turn stack them with their own loyalists further down the chain.

Used heavy war time, fighting rhetoric, fanning all the right flames, whilst stopping short of publicly inciting the violence - because he'd be incriminating himself, and he's generally too smart for that.

I would be very, very surprised if there aren't direct links between his people and the far-right groups. He'll give them a weak slap in public, to save face and his own behind above all. Behind closed doors, there is little doubt in my mind that they have his support in different shapes or forms, like possibly providing them with intelligence through his security apparatchik.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:37 am
gangrenous wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:26 am
Botman wrote:
It’s actually not
And nor should

Yeah absolutely agree. It's ok to just let the sleeping dog lie when the alternative is Trumpism
But i can understand someone feeling that way about Biden, though i think he's going to do a lot in this term to right those past wrongs
This x1000

One of the most infuriating things is the attempt by Trump apologists to construct false equivalence between Trumpism and whatever missteps, real or imagined, have been committed by the "other side" in the past.

Whatever gripes the right has with the left, they don't come within a bulls roar of blatantly undermining democracy and every institution which democracy is underpinned by.

That is why it was farcical that in the lead up to the election some people would quip; "...but is Biden really going to be that much better?", as if there is nothing much between him and Trump.

There are galaxies between them, just as there are galaxies between any western democracy and a fascist regime.

There are even galaxies between Trump and actual Republicans whom might "merely" espouse conservative values such as low taxes and small government.

Trumpism is so toxic that many are actually looking back with nostalgia on a war criminal like George W Bush.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:50 am
Trumpism is so toxic that many are actually looking back with nostalgia on a war criminal like George W Bush.
Haha I said the same thing just earlier this morning... it's a ludicrous situation when GW Bush is a voice of reason regarding a functional democracy!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:Think this is a bit more than just a tantrum.

He's tried to force election officials and state politicians to overturn results in his favour. We've heard one tape, **** knows how many other times he's attempted it.

Stacked parts of the defence institutions with loyalists right after the election, who no doubt would in turn stack them with their own loyalists further down the chain.

Used heavy war time, fighting rhetoric, fanning all the right flames, whilst stopping short of publicly inciting the violence - because he'd be incriminating himself, and he's generally too smart for that.

I would be very, very surprised if there aren't direct links between his people and the far-right groups. He'll give them a weak slap in public, to save face and his own behind above all. Behind closed doors, there is little doubt in my mind that they have his support in different shapes or forms, like possibly providing them with intelligence through his security apparatchik.
I dunno. Seems more just like the cronyism/bullying he generally uses in life to get what he wants.

What was the intended purpose of today if there is truly a conspiratorial engine led by someone willing to take power by a coup?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitt Romney with a very good speech. I know he’s no mate of Trump... but anyway... it was great.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lindsey Graham actually making sense!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Senate votes 93-6 to vote down the Arizona objection. Eight objectors changed their minds.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Facebook has banned Trump for 24hrs.
Twitter has banned Trump for 12hrs.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: January 7, 2021, 1:24 pm Facebook has banned Trump for 24hrs.
Twitter has banned Trump for 12hrs.
Facebook has also banned our old mate hrundi for 24 hours... coincidence??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just incredible.

Also incredible... Over 90 House Republicans so far are still pushing ahead to support the objection to Arizona. Vote still in progress.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

123 shameful Republicans supported the objection on Arizona.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

123 now
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

For those wondering about the police response, I'm hearing that they initially didn't want visible military or national guard, which supposedly would have granted these loonies martyrdom as they were taken down.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Gotta laugh now Trumpers and his Fox News mate Laura Ingrahm are saying today's actions were ANTIFA's dressed as MAGA supporters!

Give me a break!!!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »