Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:18 pm Surely there are more facilities like Howard Springs that can be used.
Not really. Other are either currently in use or if not they've been long dismantled. You would need to have about 20 times the capacity of Howard Springs to cope with the number of arrivals. Then there's the logistics challenge of moving people from the international airports to these remote facilities.

With city hotels the facilities already exist and arrivals can be bussed there immediately upon disembarking. While this situation is not perfect it's the best we have.
Genuine question, had you heard of Howard Springs before this? I hadn't. If not, are you sure that there isn't a Barry Springs out there that couldn't be repurposed?

If not, people need to get comfortable with the fact that outbreaks like this are going to be a regular occurrence in our capital cities for the next couple of years.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:58 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:18 pm Surely there are more facilities like Howard Springs that can be used.
Not really. Other are either currently in use or if not they've been long dismantled. You would need to have about 20 times the capacity of Howard Springs to cope with the number of arrivals. Then there's the logistics challenge of moving people from the international airports to these remote facilities.

With city hotels the facilities already exist and arrivals can be bussed there immediately upon disembarking. While this situation is not perfect it's the best we have.
Genuine question, had you heard of Howard Springs before this? I hadn't. If not, are you sure that there isn't a Barry Springs out there that couldn't be repurposed?

If not, people need to get comfortable with the fact that outbreaks like this are going to be a regular occurrence in our capital cities for the next couple of years.
Needs a Barry Springs, Tom, Dick and Harry Springs and a lot of other springs. Howard Springs was apparently acquired by the NT Government for whatever reason they felt necessary at the time. I know of no such Government owned workers camps in QLD or WA. Those are all privately held.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yes and if that's the case the borders domestically are likely to be open and shut with ridiculous levels of regularity for months if not years given the approach some states are taking... That's a disturbing prospect and particularly so for our tourism operators.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Needs a Barry Springs, Tom, Dick and Harry Springs and a lot of other springs. Howard Springs was apparently acquired by the NT Government for whatever reason they felt necessary at the time. I know of no such Government owned workers camps in QLD or WA. Those are all privately held.
I hear that there is one in the centre? Alice Springs? I hear that's a good size
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Give everyone a swag and an Aussie outback camping experience for a fortnight.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm not sure putting people in detention centres is going to ease the angst about them being treated like criminals

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Jesus, just looking at the numbers out of Japan and South Korea. Both have traditionally done so well against COVID, both currently experiencing relatively rough looking third waves that are still accelerating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: January 5, 2021, 5:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

I hear that there is one in the centre? Alice Springs? I hear that's a good size
Don't know about it. Which one and how big is it?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:I'm not sure putting people in detention centres is going to ease the angst about them being treated like criminals

I suspect I’m not alone in not giving a **** about the angst from people’s dramatics over quarantine.

Don’t like it? Stay put.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Some interesting facts about the UK variant of Covid-19 called B.1.1.7 strain.

https://www.livescience.com/uk-variant- ... s-faq.html

I had wondered why the UK strain was more virulent. The answer is in the link text:

"a higher viral load makes it easier for the virus to spread."

The good news was that use of masks, social distancing and hand washing/sanitizer etc is thought to be effective against this strain as well. Also that the current vaccines are believed to be effective against this strain.
Unfortunately, I think we will see further mutations of Covid-19 prior to a large proportion of the Worlds population receiving a vaccine.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: January 5, 2021, 7:33 pm Some interesting facts about the UK variant of Covid-19 called B.1.1.7 strain.

I had wondered why the UK strain was more virulent. The answer is in the link text:

The good news was that use of masks, social distancing and hand washing/sanitizer etc is thought to be effective against this strain as well. Also that the current vaccines are believed to be effective against this strain.
Unfortunately, I think we will see further mutations of Covid-19 prior to a large proportion of the Worlds population receiving a vaccine.
What about purchasing large quantities of toilet paper? It's worked here so far. I assume it's equally effective against this new strain.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Got a bit of a chuckle from thisImage

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

If the Rona is spreading through Rookwood then we are all doomed! DOOMED!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

QANTAS resuming international flights in July. I wonder what they know that we don't.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's been genetically designed to expire as at 30 June?

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: January 5, 2021, 8:06 pm
RedRaider wrote: January 5, 2021, 7:33 pm Some interesting facts about the UK variant of Covid-19 called B.1.1.7 strain.

What about purchasing large quantities of toilet paper? It's worked here so far. I assume it's equally effective against this new strain.
You may need to double over the 4 ply NR, to be sure, to be sure.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There hasn't been a great deal of attention on the vaccine and advice on when it will be available. Surely a good opportunity for any number of politicians to throw on a lab coat, protective glasses and do that absolutely cringeworthy elbow touch.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: January 5, 2021, 8:25 pm Got a bit of a chuckle from thisImage

:lol:

Officials might be on the lookout for the ghost of Joe Burns' recently cremated test cricket career making an appearance at the ground.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This is interesting. Total cases seem to be flattening in comparison. Mystery cases much of a muchness. ImageImage
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gergreg wrote: January 6, 2021, 7:14 am There hasn't been a great deal of attention on the vaccine and advice on when it will be available. Surely a good opportunity for any number of politicians to throw on a lab coat, protective glasses and do that absolutely cringeworthy elbow touch.

gergreg, the vaccine will be rolled out in early March 2021. See below from Health Minister Greg Hunt.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the ... nal-travel
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RedRaider wrote:
gergreg wrote: January 6, 2021, 7:14 am There hasn't been a great deal of attention on the vaccine and advice on when it will be available. Surely a good opportunity for any number of politicians to throw on a lab coat, protective glasses and do that absolutely cringeworthy elbow touch.

gergreg, the vaccine will be rolled out in early March 2021. See below from Health Minister Greg Hunt.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the ... nal-travel
Thanks red. I did notice a bit more action or discussion on this topic recently on the news. It's a bit of a shame the transcript reads like an extended Dorothy Dixer.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gergreg, news today that the vaccine roll out is being further brought forward with the Pfizer vaccine to begin in February and AstraZeneca soon after. They are following the Health advice and the news conference today from the PM, Greg Hunt, Doctors Murphy and Kelly made a number of references to the UK strain.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coron ... 356c0b9e4c
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

"Phase 2b - balance of adult population".

I'm feeling very de-prioritised, here. It makes complete sense, of course, but you can't help but feel a little unloved.

"Essential", but not essential-enough. :lol:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Hotel quarantine worker in Brisbane has tested positive to the UK Strain. They have been infectious for 5 days. Appear not to have been out and about too much. Hopefully their close contacts are equally antisocial.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yikes, that’ll spice up the cabinet discussion tomorrow...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

There have been three separate quarantine breaches involving a patient in WA that has tested positive to the UK Strain
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 7, 2021, 6:21 pm Hotel quarantine worker in Brisbane has tested positive to the UK Strain. They have been infectious for 5 days. Appear not to have been out and about too much. Hopefully their close contacts are equally antisocial.
LOCK THE BORDERS!!!

We have to protect everyone in NSW!!!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Waiting for GEs rebuke of the Queensland government for their handling of hotel quarantine

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Greater Brisbane area now in a 3 day lock down.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Close the NSW border for 8 months.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Azza wrote: January 8, 2021, 10:20 am Close the NSW border for 8 months.
Spot on. We need to protect the fine citizens of NSW. They come first. We cannot allow this more infections ‘QLD’ strain of COVID to effect us.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Let's keep our international borders open and stick the incoming travelers in a hotel in the middle of the CBD, what could possibly go wrong.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Makaveli wrote: January 8, 2021, 11:07 am Let's keep our international borders open and stick the incoming travelers in a hotel in the middle of the CBD, what could possibly go wrong.
We need to stop this myth that ‘international borders are open’ like there is some type of free for all tourism industry operating. It’s returning Australian citizens, and essential workers. Imagine if it was your family trying to get home and stuck in a cess pit line the US?

Moving from the CBD is not a viable option. There are not enough established facilities to house thousands of incoming residents, nor the staffing network to support it.

There were 18,000 arrivals to Aus in October, 2/3rds of which were Australian citizens. The rest get a pass, like Harry Rushton, it the Indian cricket team for example, which we are happy to allow as sports fans.

The fact that we are averaging less than 1 quarantine issue a month nationally with arrivals in those statistics says to me we are doing a pretty bloody good job of containing a highly contagious virus while balancing a empathetic and realistic approach to international borders.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Like I said a few weeks ago, I have no idea why there wasn't a drop dead date for coming home.

You have to have an exceptional reason to leave, why can't that be applied to returning citizens. Not like they've had 11 months warning or anything.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Brisbane declared a Covid hotspot. As yet still only 1 case.