Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: January 1, 2021, 7:00 pm
Botman wrote:Forwards will naturally rotate as suspension, injury and rep duties call... but i cant see us being good enough to be using a rotation as staple policy. Play the best 17, and that should absolutely include Hors, Guler and Young
Yep. Play the best 17.! That may or may not include Hors, Guler and Young, they have to earn positions on and off the field (especially in professional rehabilitation of long term injuries and lack of eye gouging brain explosions), same goes for Sutton, Lui and James.

But play the best 17 regardless. Ricky has improved his ability to choose the best team and when to drop a player. This started with Papa and Austin and has improved over 19/20.
Horse, Guler and James all coming off serious injuries. Lui needs to maintain his 2020 form and Sia is probably in his last year. None of them are instant picks. I'm sure Sticky would like a good at what they can deliver.

Tapine and Paps are locked in Young's spot is his to lose.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Northern Raider wrote: January 1, 2021, 9:23 pm
Botman wrote:Forwards will naturally rotate as suspension, injury and rep duties call... but i cant see us being good enough to be using a rotation as staple policy. Play the best 17, and that should absolutely include Hors, Guler and Young
Yep. Play the best 17.! That may or may not include Hors, Guler and Young, they have to earn positions on and off the field (especially in professional rehabilitation of long term injuries and lack of eye gouging brain explosions), same goes for Sutton, Lui and James.

But play the best 17 regardless. Ricky has improved his ability to choose the best team and when to drop a player. This started with Papa and Austin and has improved over 19/20.
Horse, Guler and James all coming off serious injuries. Lui needs to maintain his 2020 form and Sia is probably in his last year. None of them are instant picks. I'm sure Sticky would like a good at what they can deliver.

I'm also really interested in what happens with Sutton. His best games have been outstanding for the Club but he has been inconsistent. I also have a fear one of Horsburgh and Guler may regress.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wiki Special wrote: January 2, 2021, 12:34 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 1, 2021, 9:23 pm

I'm also really interested in what happens with Sutton. His best games have been outstanding for the Club but he has been inconsistent. I also have a fear one of Horsburgh and Guler may regress.
A bit remiss of me to leave Sutton out. Impressed me with his work rate and performance when he got decent game time. Wouldn't let anybody down if he was in the team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I really like Sutton but he definitely has to add another dimension to his game. I’d like to see a pass or step just to keep the defence guessing.

But he gives 100% each match and can hurt the opposition with and without the ball.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I believe that on last years form Sutton is ahead of CHN. 2021 will bring different circumstances of course, but I will watch that little competition with great interest.
Also, after watching some replays of early 2020 games I have been impressed by snippets of Scotts play. Only snippets though, he needs to be at his best for bigger slices of games but he CAN play and has more pace than I had thought just watching in running.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cranky Old Man wrote:I believe that on last years form Sutton is ahead of CHN. 2021 will bring different circumstances of course, but I will watch that little competition with great interest.
Also, after watching some replays of early 2020 games I have been impressed by snippets of Scotts play. Only snippets though, he needs to be at his best for bigger slices of games but he CAN play and has more pace than I had thought just watching in running.
who's on your right edge if not CHN CoM?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

bonehead wrote: January 2, 2021, 5:21 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote:I believe that on last years form Sutton is ahead of CHN. 2021 will bring different circumstances of course, but I will watch that little competition with great interest.
who's on your right edge if not CHN CoM?

The only other legitimate option we have is Hudson Young. It would help our logjam in the middle. But I am firmly in the club that Young is a better middle and have felt that way since his 2019 debut. I think he'll play Origin in the next few years.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Yes, I believe that within the squad Rick has assembled Young will play on the edge, but I also believe he is better suited to 13.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I find it hard to see Sutton missing out, despite the smorgasbord we have in the position.

Our gameplan has become simple and within that yardage has become king. Sutton gives us a hard, tough nose off the bench, capable of consistently delivering 100 metres and keeping the energy up once our best middles come off for him - something that can't be said of all our middles. In terms of simply hitting the ball up and getting over the ad line, he's ahead of Guler, Horsburgh, Young, Lui, and Soliola at this stage IMO (unknown yet how he will fare compared to James).

It's cleary Sticky really likes him as well and highly values what he gave him last season - I can see Stick wanting it to continue.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think there's several equally valid readings/ranking of our middles- depending on who plays which role and we are projecting a little bit on best form vs potential with unknowns like James and injury recovery in there.

I think Guler is a must have. I like how unfazed he is how quickly he's found a new level to any new challenge. Also our biggest unit- I think at times last year we got stuck with a slightly small pack which makes it hard to shut down teams with Solomona/Kamikamika or , RCG, Napa, Tamou size guys in their pack. Most teams have a whopper at 190+cm in there and it masively helps to have a similar sized guy to regularly halt their post contact yards and wrap up offloads. Gives the same or better out put as the other middles, adds size and hasn't hit a ceiling yet.

Hors is valuable for his offloading, his aggro and his hits sting. Pretty handy combo. My only worry is his mobility/fitness, especially as the game gets faster. For some reason I just have concerns about how he's going to come back after that lisfranc injury.

Sutton is more the workmanlike middle. Decent FG'er but no frills. You probably want one or two of these guys in your pack. He's fighting with Lui (although if those strips keep up Lui has added a "frill") and latter day Sia for that kind of role.

Young has to be lock- or bench sharing lock with Tarps. I honestly think these two found their best positions last season (Tarps at prop) and Young was able to regularly impact games from the middle with his energy- line breaks, support play, defence and just might be up there with guys like Radley and Murray who have redefined that modern lock role with more mobility but still rugged defence lately.

James I'll leave out as a bonus option since again, I just don't know what we'll get after 2 knee reco's. It could be a TLL who is big but a bit of a sitting duck only able to go straight ahead and can't explode with that same power anymore. But maybe he will.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

My honest opinion is that the deciding factor to who Ricky picks will be the players Defensive workrate. Which is why I am not quite as high on Guler as others, although he is improving in that regard. In saying that, he is in my 17 - I can just see the trusted defensive impact of Lui and Sutton being at the forefront of Sticky's thoughts.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Rick loves to reward good effort in the off season as has been discussed here before, but those discussions focussed on the outside backs possibilities. We need to keep in mind that Medlyn, the new pom and a couple of other edge players are in the mix and if they burn the house down might well come into calculations. Trey Mooney is a standout for mine, but is probably a year or two away but you never can tell.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cranky Old Man wrote:Rick loves to reward good effort in the off season as has been discussed here before, but those discussions focussed on the outside backs possibilities. We need to keep in mind that Medlyn, the new pom and a couple of other edge players are in the mix and if they burn the house down might well come into calculations. Trey Mooney is a standout for mine, but is probably a year or two away but you never can tell.
agree completely but Medlyn and Mooney are middles, your edge weapon young guns are only Harry and Caleb Esera.

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wiki Special wrote: January 3, 2021, 11:04 am My honest opinion is that the deciding factor to who Ricky picks will be the players Defensive workrate. Which is why I am not quite as high on Guler as others, although he is improving in that regard. In saying that, he is in my 17 - I can just see the trusted defensive impact of Lui and Sutton being at the forefront of Sticky's thoughts.
This is an area Sutton has a big advantage and not just his work rate. He's got serious stopping power in the middle. An important aspect of the modern game is preventing opposition forwards finding their front and getting a quick play or worse earning a set restart. Sutton is one of our better players in this area.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good point on Sutton NR. He really hits hard especially on a player running straight at him. Lui is really good at hugging the player and the ball which stops offloads and occasionally enables a strip. Lui is close to our best goal line defender.

Defence is the area that Sutton and Lui are better in.

But hit ups is where Guler is stronger and offloads where Hors is stronger.

This is why it is hard to split these four Forwards, they all bring different strengths.

My key thought is that Hors looks to be struggling with his ankle still. I don’t think he’ll be at his physical peak until mid season. It is a concern to see him walk with a limp. It’s certainly an injury not to rush. So I’d rather see Hors back in his own time. Still might be round 1?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: January 3, 2021, 3:23 pm agree completely but Medlyn and Mooney are middles, your edge weapon young guns are only Harry and Caleb Esera.
Based on NOTHING but some highlights ive seen and the reviews of people i respect... im actually a little bit excited by the idea of Esera being next cab off the ranks as an edge forward. That kid looks incredible.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 3, 2021, 3:23 pm agree completely but Medlyn and Mooney are middles, your edge weapon young guns are only Harry and Caleb Esera.
Based on NOTHING but some highlights ive seen and the reviews of people i respect... im actually a little bit excited by the idea of Esera being next cab off the ranks as an edge forward. That kid looks incredible.
In breaking news....

Botman respects someone!

This is indeed high praise for the man/woman/robot that is the owner of such praise. Image

This is like Afgtnk saying a halfback has a great long pass.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That barb would ordinarily be true. I largely dont respect and am dismissive of people who disagree with me on things i actually see and do
But life has taken me away from being able to really dial in on the juniors the way i used to, so i lean heavily on guys like GE to guide me on this. I'll argue with anyone about anything if i think i know it, but i just dont see any junior footy anymore and i know whatever differences GE (and others) and i might have, his eye for young talent is unquestionable. He's seen em all come and go.
He's not gonna get em all right (no one is) but his track record is pretty damn good
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Nothing to be ashamed about - it seems only the true diehards know the up and coming juniors these days, a group to which I don't belong either.

Kinda sad how we don't seem to have the production line visible to us anymore. However, if the trade-off is to experience the greater fortunes in FG like we are now, then I'll take that any day.
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

simo wrote: December 30, 2020, 7:22 pm We have 3 x 8,10, 13 lines.
1 - Papa tapa horse
2 - James guler young
3 - Lui soliola sutton
Going to be some healthy af competition and i agree with those saying a trade should be on the cards to increase backrow competition
Panthers have lost Tamou, Tetevano, hetherington and have told Mansour he is free to go :hmmm

Strike the right deal and we win in that scenario
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:That barb would ordinarily be true. I largely dont respect and am dismissive of people who disagree with me on things i actually see and do
But life has taken me away from being able to really dial in on the juniors the way i used to, so i lean heavily on guys like GE to guide me on this. I'll argue with anyone about anything if i think i know it, but i just dont see any junior footy anymore and i know whatever differences GE (and others) and i might have, his eye for young talent is unquestionable. He's seen em all come and go.
He's not gonna get em all right (no one is) but his track record is pretty damn good
GE has an outright eye for life. When I went to Paris, I took his advice and went to every place he suggested, it was bang on.

We have similar taste in TV Shows and Movies, so any recommendation he makes, I’m on board.

So it’s no surprise his eye for Football talent is spot on as well.

Between him always being bang on, and you being the Truth, I don’t need to look anywhere else for anything
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Glad you enjoyed the spots in Paris! You’ll have to tell us about it at some stage!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

afgtnk wrote:Nothing to be ashamed about - it seems only the true diehards know the up and coming juniors these days, a group to which I don't belong either.

Kinda sad how we don't seem to have the production line visible to us anymore. However, if the trade-off is to experience the greater fortunes in FG like we are now, then I'll take that any day.
The group coming through now is as exciting as the 2008 20's premiership winning group.
Mainly forwards though from my understanding with the young hooker, Trevilyan, another very highly rated.
Look at JJ Clarkson straight into the development squad for example but yet another middle.

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

Post by BJ »

The Raiders switch from a development club to increased procurement of proven NRL and ESL players sits more at the feet of inept NRL administrators than the Raiders themselves.

For way too long the Raiders were developing young talent for the good of the game overall and for the good of other NRL clubs.

Unfortunately the NRL was unable to put in adequate protections for weaker clubs who developed many juniors, but who went to successful clubs as the player began to peak. .

Hopefully our new crop of youngsters can live up to expectations.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: January 4, 2021, 7:53 am The Raiders switch from a development club to increased procurement of proven NRL and ESL players sits more at the feet of inept NRL administrators than the Raiders themselves.

For way too long the Raiders were developing young talent for the good of the game overall and for the good of other NRL clubs.

Unfortunately the NRL was unable to put in adequate protections for weaker clubs who developed many juniors, but who went to successful clubs as the player began to peak. .

Hopefully our new crop of youngsters can live up to expectations.
I think the Raiders are still doing a lot in junior development, but they are probably being smarter about it these days. A bit like the Roosters, they’re going after the best young junior talent they can, no matter where the players are. But they’re also supporting junior programs across the ACT and southern NSW, from the South Coast to the Riverina. The biggest hole is probably at NSW Cup level. It’d be interesting to see comparisons between the clubs on what they spend on junior development. Don Furner said they were pulling back on their junior development spending, but I suspect the Raiders still do more than average.

Penrith must be really peeved at what’s happening to them re juniors they’ve developed, now being lost due to the cap arrangements. The general reaction in Sydney seems to be... “they can’t keep them all”. But that’s from clubs who are free riding.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Spot on Greeneyed.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Botman wrote: January 3, 2021, 7:01 pm
Coincidently I had dinner last night with an old mate who is in the Raiders "bubble" and at one point we got to talking about the Raiders. I mentioneed my enthusiasm for Mooney and he immediately said "Esera". Reckons he is destined for the very top. I don't know if this view is held by the powers that be at the Raiders or not.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Esera is the biggest kid on the park right now... but don’t expect that advantage to dissipate. He’ll still have a big physical presence in the NRL as well by the time he stops growing. Add to that, he’s just a very talented forward, one of the best prospects I’ve seen at the club.

Mooney will certainly make it as a top line NRL player too IMO. He’s solid, tough, goes all day. Exciting prospects, both.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Esera is the biggest kid on the park right now... but don’t expect that advantage to dissipate. He’ll still have a big physical presence in the NRL as well by the time he stops growing. Add to that, he’s just a very talented forward, one of the best prospects I’ve seen at the club.

Mooney will certainly make it as a top line NRL player too IMO. He’s solid, tough, goes all day. Exciting prospects, both.
I hold out hope that spot 30 in the roster is being dangled to Esera

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: January 4, 2021, 2:34 pm
greeneyed wrote:Esera is the biggest kid on the park right now... but don’t expect that advantage to dissipate. He’ll still have a big physical presence in the NRL as well by the time he stops growing. Add to that, he’s just a very talented forward, one of the best prospects I’ve seen at the club.

I hold out hope that spot 30 in the roster is being dangled to Esera

Doesn’t hurt to keep them a bit hungry. They’re still very young, and probably still need to mature a bit.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Esera top 30? I don’t think so.

I still hold out hope for a 50 plus BJ Mole to win that 30th squad position almost 30 years since retirement. Ricky knows I beat his off season training team almost single handedly (very questionable) in 1991.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, the small amounts I've seen of Esera indicate he could definitely be the goods.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Esera is a mountain.

Glad I ain’t feeding him.

He looks the goods.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: January 3, 2021, 7:43 pm That barb would ordinarily be true. I largely dont respect and am dismissive of people who disagree with me on things i actually see and do
Botman you diabolical.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Esera
Mooney
Trevithiyn (spelling)
All look special talents.