Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Maxy vs Harris in Tests...
Matches 7 for 14 innings vs 9 for 17 innings
Bat avg 26 vs 24
1x 100 vs 0x 100
0x 50 vs 2x 50

Now....
Maxy is far far too talented to have a record like this, however, he IS his own worst enemy. Too many shots and not enough patience.
That said, im already angry at Head, do I want the maxy frustration?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

India by 300.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I will dog paddle naked to Cairns if GMaxwell plays in this test series..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Former NZ capt John Reid has passed away..
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-PJ- wrote: December 30, 2020, 6:18 pm I will dog paddle naked to Cairns if GMaxwell plays in this test series..
Lucky for us all Maxy won't get picked
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: December 30, 2020, 4:58 pm The squad is in...
And its BURNT!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/breaking-n ... b5a6d31fa4

So lock it in:
Warner
Pucovski
Labu
Smith
Wade
Green
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Big Wood
Thanks Matt, change of openers. Old Dog and a Young Pup. Both with injury issues to overcome. Will talent be enough. We all hope so. They have got to hold the catches which come their way though.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: December 30, 2020, 7:54 pm
Matt wrote: December 30, 2020, 4:58 pm The squad is in...
And its BURNT!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/breaking-n ... b5a6d31fa4

So lock it in:
Warner
Pucovski
Labu
Smith
Wade
Green
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Big Wood
Thanks Matt, change of openers. Old Dog and a Young Pup. Both with injury issues to overcome. Will talent be enough. We all hope so. They have got to hold the catches which come their way though.
The old adage, "catches win matches" always stands
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

i don’t think will p is a given , head may still play
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Azza wrote:Our batting is so funny that I think we need funny suggestions (which was partly why I thumbsed up bonesy's line-up).

Maxwell does have a test century after all. I'm a bit sick of Head's well crafted 30s and 40s that have little to no bearing on the match.
borne out of frustration

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: December 30, 2020, 8:19 pm i don’t think will p is a given , head may still play
I think you’re 100% correct.

Warner
Wade
Labu
Smith
Head
Green
Paine (c)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

That’s how they’ll line up..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Warner for Burns. Otherwise same team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Wade opening is a dumb idea. It was never meant to be a long term measure.

Wade has never been a red ball opener in his life. He's not great at it. It just clogs the team up with a guy who will never be that good at the role- keeping him out of his best position (#5 or #6) AND keeping a real opener and long term solution out of the team. It was fine for a game during an injury crisis and he did as expected- just ok. But it's a hodgepodge band aid, not a keeper.

Warner and Pucjovski. Wade to #5. Head back to Shield where he belongs. Everyone batting in their proper position. It's not some 4d jigsaw. It's Test cricket, play people where they play best and put good players in, not scratchy almost men.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I generally agree, but our batting depth has been so poor recently we've had to come up with makeshift solutions (Finch playing test opener, anyone?)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Give every 8 year old in the country a golf ball and a stump and we’ll be right by 2030
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Looks like the intent is for Will P to play with Warner. Hmmm....
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: December 31, 2020, 4:31 pm Give every 8 year old in the country a golf ball and a stump and we’ll be right by 2030
Here's a plan. Better send that 1 to CA mate. But copyright it 1st
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Yadav has been ruled out with his calf strain. So 2 debuant quicks for the next test.
India were lucky to pick Jadeja with their injuries.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Azza wrote:Looks like the intent is for Will P to play with Warner. Hmmm....
I bloody hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Other than Warner, Pucovski is the only logical inclusion to replace somebody in the current line up. Doubts are about his mental preparedness and not his ability to score runs. The other batsmen they included in the extended squad have previously failed in the latter aspect. With Pucovski it's a case of you don't know till you try.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I listened to the most recent Grandstand podcast with Ed Cowan and Corbin Middlemas. They were worried about Pucovski not having played any cricket for nearly a month (by the time SCG Test rolls round), however, they were more worried about the bouncer barrage in his future. However, they couldn't see an alternate option, even if Corbin, seemed all patriotic Victorian, and wanted Harris, but that seemed more "last man standing".

Neither convinced about Head, basically saying, he is what he is, and thats a 40 avg that doesn't score 100s (only 11 in his career, and 2 were this yr - bit Paine-esque). He doesn't score them coz he has too many 'out options'. Again, they didnt have an alternative, but did say, would you persist with Head? OR, take a punt on a new opener so you can move Wade back to the middle order, which they were leaning too.

Oh... they thought Warner for Burns was a no brainer.

I think we are all on the same page. I think while this is India, with 2 of their best 3 quicks injured, now is as good a time as any for Pucovski. He faced the 2 rookie quicks in the A game, but given he wore 1, not sure if thats good or bad?!?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I am reminded of Phil Hughes facing a barrage of short bowling in England shortly after his debut for Australia...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 1, 2021, 8:59 pm I am reminded of Phil Hughes facing a barrage of short bowling in England shortly after his debut for Australia...
Let's hope for the Sth Africa version of the short ball Hughes
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

No doubt that Pucovski will be subjected to a short ball examination. Hopefully the Australians have some video of how Steve Waugh countered this type of bowling. He rarely played the hook shot. Instead, particularly against West Indies, he would watch the ball closely and sway inside the line or duck or take the ball on his body or upper arm. But the key, he knew where the ball was. I've not seen enough of Pucovski to know if he is a natural at playing the hook shot, like a Boon or Ponting, but the fact he keeps getting hit in the head would lead me to believe it is not his strong suit. But there are techniques which make it less of a threat of getting out or getting hit.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: January 1, 2021, 8:28 pm I listened to the most recent Grandstand podcast with Ed Cowan and Corbin Middlemas. They were worried about Pucovski not having played any cricket for nearly a month (by the time SCG Test rolls round), however, they were more worried about the bouncer barrage in his future. However, they couldn't see an alternate option, even if Corbin, seemed all patriotic Victorian, and wanted Harris, but that seemed more "last man standing".

Neither convinced about Head, basically saying, he is what he is, and thats a 40 avg that doesn't score 100s (only 11 in his career, and 2 were this yr - bit Paine-esque). He doesn't score them coz he has too many 'out options'. Again, they didnt have an alternative, but did say, would you persist with Head? OR, take a punt on a new opener so you can move Wade back to the middle order, which they were leaning too.

I think we are all on the same page. I think while this is India, with 2 of their best 3 quicks injured, now is as good a time as any for Pucovski. He faced the 2 rookie quicks in the A game, but given he wore 1, not sure if thats good or bad?!?
For what it's worth, Pucjovski's coaches have said he generally scores runs when he comes back from an absence- and unfortunately he has had a few lengthy breaks to form a pattern. So the "no cricket" shouldn't be a factor as he's done it quite a few times and seems to go just fine.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: January 1, 2021, 11:26 pm No doubt that Pucovski will be subjected to a short ball examination. Hopefully the Australians have some video of how Steve Waugh countered this type of bowling. He rarely played the hook shot. Instead, particularly against West Indies, he would watch the ball closely and sway inside the line or duck or take the ball on his body or upper arm. But the key, he knew where the ball was. I've not seen enough of Pucovski to know if he is a natural at playing the hook shot, like a Boon or Ponting, but the fact he keeps getting hit in the head would lead me to believe it is not his strong suit. But there are techniques which make it less of a threat of getting out or getting hit.
Good point. Can u send that to CA?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: January 2, 2021, 12:39 am
Matt wrote: January 1, 2021, 8:28 pm I listened to the most recent Grandstand podcast with Ed Cowan and Corbin Middlemas. They were worried about Pucovski not having played any cricket for nearly a month (by the time SCG Test rolls round), however, they were more worried about the bouncer barrage in his future. However, they couldn't see an alternate option, even if Corbin, seemed all patriotic Victorian, and wanted Harris, but that seemed more "last man standing".

For what it's worth, Pucjovski's coaches have said he generally scores runs when he comes back from an absence- and unfortunately he has had a few lengthy breaks to form a pattern. So the "no cricket" shouldn't be a factor as he's done it quite a few times and seems to go just fine.
I read that article today too :lol:
Wouldnt mind if he came back and score 2 more double hundreds
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

India have a potential Covid bubble breach. This could be interesting
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:India have a potential Covid bubble breach. This could be interesting
Indian cricket board "nothing to see here"

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Meh. They'll get a slap on the wrist, nothing more.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

This waiting around for the cricket is just plain wrong.

Still 5 days away.

BCCI clearly running the show.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: January 2, 2021, 6:33 pm Image

Thats quality banter
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

So India now expressing reluctance to play in Brisbane given the potential to be in quarantine for the full time there. Yeah right, lol. I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact the conditions in Brisbane and Australia's record there are probably going to be far less suited to them than playing two tests in Sydney.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Should just tell them, you play in Brisbane or you go home in breach of the agreement and pay up..

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

In theory yes, but it's hard to stand up to the BCCI, everyone seems terrified of them despite their petulant ways because they virtually run the game.