Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises new NRL rule changes

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises new NRL rule changes

Post by Wiki Special »

I am not a fan of the constant tinkering of the rules since the Covid break. I particularly don't like the 6-Again Rule. Far too inconsistent. If it's a penalty blow it and use the Sin Bin if required for repeat offences (and bring back 5 in the bin). I am no fan of the Referees performance over the past Decade, in fact I think it has regressed quite a bit. However the best thing they did was a few years back when they clamped down on infringements. Teams and Coaches would have eventually fallen into line and the game would have become a better spectacle in a natural way. Then sections of the Media complained and the clamp down stopped. And here we are now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The six again rule suits the referees and NRL perfectly, as it is all non transparent. No one knows why they’re given most of the time. The NRL hides the number of six again calls, by not reporting the statistics, and then pretend penalties have declined. It’s the same old same old.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, with the change to the offside rule and the turnovers we'll have 4 penalties and 5 scrums a game.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I hate the arbitrary nature of the 6 again. It's really not good, especially late in a game when the attacking team is 2 points down.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I love the 6 again rule. Stops teams from deliberately conceding a penalty when they are on the back foot.

That said the points you make about lack of transparency are valid and there is no reason why they couldnt report on stats and reasons for being awarded.

The fact is that teams like the storm and roosters are always trying to exploit the rules to get an advantage. Think of how many different infringements the storm have caused... crusher tackles, chicken wings etc. They also started this crap about deliberately holding down players in your 10m zone to allow your defence to reset. Last year storm players were using their trainers to control the tempo of the game. The rules have to move with them, cause they never cease to find ways to exploit the rules even at the demise of our game.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Wayne supplied the herbal tea.

His own special ingredients for that special buzz.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Re: NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

Post by myanonymoususername »

gangrenous wrote: December 11, 2020, 7:07 pm Can someone think of when taking a shot at a 2 point field goal would not be tactically criminal and deserving of a kick in the bits from the coach?

All I can come up with is that it’s the dying seconds of the game 1 point behind and you happen to be between the 40m and 50m mark. At which point you’re still taking the shot, it changes nothing tactically and if you hit it under the old rule you’re still tying the game with plenty of excitement. So what did making it 2 points really add apart from rewarding field position mediocrity?

I guess you might say a similar situation down by 2, but I reckon most teams will back themselves to go through hands and score a try over landing a 40+m field goal.

I just don’t really see how it changes anything. **** stupid rule.
My suspicion is it will only be used when a team is well ahead, and they'll take a crack at it just for the practice.
BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises new NRL rule changes

Post by BJ »

The 6 again calls need to be reported by tackles gained, not as a raw count of how many you received.

If it’s on the first tackle it’s worth less than on the last.

Easy to create a % measure calculation of total tackles made.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Andrew Johns' warning to NRL over speed of the game

Rugby league immortal Andrew Johns has weighed in on the NRL's aim to increase flow and speed into the game, urging the competition to be careful not to lose "the real big man" of today's game.

"There was an increase with injuries this year, whether that was the game speeding up or whether it was from the break during COVID, we don't really know," Johns said. "The game is that fast now and the players are that fit that we need to be careful we don't make the game so quick which takes away the real big man of the game. We have to be careful there."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/andrew-joh ... cial-NRLFS
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sober thoughts with Andrew Johns..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:Sober thoughts with Andrew Johns..
But he has been suggesting that we drop down to 12 players on field to open it up... but opening it up basically means speeding up the game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:The six again rule suits the referees and NRL perfectly, as it is all non transparent. No one knows why they’re given most of the time. The NRL hides the number of six again calls, by not reporting the statistics, and then pretend penalties have declined. It’s the same old same old.
I don't agree. It is pretty obvious what the 6agains are for. Not getting off the tackled player, predominantly or occasionally markers not square. Essentially 'spoiling' tactics and it defeats the purpose of it if the referee has to stop and explain his decision, which again is a spoiling tactic for captains. I think the referee standard last season was pretty good overall.

I think they need to fix the obstruction rules and improve in some of the inconsistency in some areas.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: December 13, 2020, 11:07 am
greeneyed wrote:The six again rule suits the referees and NRL perfectly, as it is all non transparent. No one knows why they’re given most of the time. The NRL hides the number of six again calls, by not reporting the statistics, and then pretend penalties have declined. It’s the same old same old.
I don't agree. It is pretty obvious what the 6agains are for. Not getting off the tackled player, predominantly or occasionally markers not square. Essentially 'spoiling' tactics and it defeats the purpose of it if the referee has to stop and explain his decision, which again is a spoiling tactic for captains. I think the referee standard last season was pretty good overall.

I think they need to fix the obstruction rules and improve in some of the inconsistency in some areas.

I'm floored that you disagree with me gerg! ;)

I think it is clear that they're given for the variety of offences that can lead to a six again call. There are a couple of things that really grind my gears.

First, the inconsistency of the referees. The same offences are not "penalised" equally between teams in a game, and between games. The latter is very obvious, when you look at the stats for six again calls, by referee (when they are, on rare occasion that they're published). The inconsistencies are inadequately scrutinised by media etc, because they happen so fast... unlike traditional penalties.

Secondly, the lack of transparency. The NRL, nor any media organisation other than The Greenhouse, published aggregate set restarts conceded/received in 2020. The NRL actually had the hide to claim, via Graham Annesley's weekly briefing, that six again meant that referees were less involved in influencing games. The facts are, that penalties were down. But six again calls more than offset the decline. The referees were actually MORE involved in games, in influencing outcomes. The blatant spin doctoring from the NRL... let's face it, lies... really grinds my gears.

I agree with you on simplification. Last year, we had rule changes that fell into the tinkering category. The 20/40 rule was introduced... but was barely used, if at all. The NRL should strike these sorts of rule changes out of the rule book straight away. They constantly tell us how they want to make the job of officials easier, by simplifying rules, but never do anything about it. The other was the placement of scrum on the field. Teams were given multiple options as to where they were packed. It was a clear "tinker" for not much good reason. But every team decided to pack them centre field, every time. If the coaches really wanted to change to the centre of the field for scrums... why not just do that? Why add to complexity of the rules? Lots of claims about simplification... never actioned by the NRL.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: December 13, 2020, 11:07 am

I'm floored that you disagree with me gerg! ;)

I think it is clear that they're given for the variety of offences that can lead to a six again call. There are a couple of things that really grind my gears.

First, the inconsistency of the referees. The same offences are not "penalised" equally between teams in a game, and between games. The latter is very obvious, when you look at the stats for six again calls, by referee (when they are, on rare occasion that they're published). The inconsistencies are inadequately scrutinised by media etc, because they happen so fast... unlike traditional penalties.

Secondly, the lack of transparency. The NRL, nor any media organisation other than The Greenhouse, published aggregate set restarts conceded/received in 2020. The NRL actually had the hide to claim, via Graham Annesley's weekly briefing, that six again meant that referees were less involved in influencing games. The facts are, that penalties were down. But six again calls more than offset the decline. The referees were actually MORE involved in games, in influencing outcomes. The blatant spin doctoring from the NRL... let's face it, lies... really grinds my gears.

I agree with you on simplification. Last year, we had rule changes that fell into the tinkering category. The 20/40 rule was introduced... but was barely used, if at all. The NRL should strike these sorts of rule changes out of the rule book straight away. They constantly tell us how they want to make the job of officials easier, by simplifying rules, but never do anything about it. The other was the placement of scrum on the field. Teams were given multiple options as to where they were packed. It was a clear "tinker" for not much good reason. But every team decided to pack them centre field, every time. If the coaches really wanted to change to the centre of the field for scrums... why not just do that? Why add to complexity of the rules? Lots of claims about simplification... never actioned by the NRL.
I actually agree with most of your input. Still disappointed that you didn't agree with my idea on the Sounding of the Horn with you operating the clickers and signalling for the goats to be sacrificed ...

I think the referees were a little excessive at the start of the season and as you say quite influential on results. But I thought they reined it in a little as the season progressed.

Like I said teams had begun to just timewaste - concede penalties then take two minutes talking to the referees about the decision. It defeats the purpose of the 6again if captains are then allowed to question the decision. And you'll never have a situation where a referee will front a press conference explaining every decision they have made during a match ... for obvious reasons.

Part of the problems in the game - in recent years - is the scrutiny from commentators. It is largely the reason obstruction is such a mess at the moment and previously with the penalty crackdown. I agree that the statistics should be published.

I think teams should be offered the choice of a 6again or a penalty. This could stop teams from giving them away on the first tackle. Roosters and Storm started doing this in the second half of the season by kicking to the corners and getting 4 in the tackle and peeling off - and forcing the referee to make a call. But I guess a penalty kick for touch from in the corner could potentially only net you a 10 metre advantage from the kick.

I think the rule changes last year improved the game. Didn't you enjoy the football last season? At the end of the day that is what matters to me.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I actually found last season to often be infuriating... because of six again and inconsistent refereeing. I also find the big score lines and big margins not too exciting. I agree that something needed to be done about spoiling tactics, but we’ve gone the wrong route for mine. There should have been more sin bins, and we should have gone back to allowing for five minute sin binnings... as we had originally.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, the game can be too helter skelter at times.

What I do like is the mandatory time off for a player if a trainer is called onto the park. That was by far the most infuriating thing for me last season. Teams countered the 6 again rule by holding up the play for minutes as 2 trainers a waterboy and the team doctor attended a player suffering cramp 50 minutes into the game.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:I actually found last season to often be infuriating... because of six again and inconsistent refereeing. I also find the big score lines and big margins not too exciting. I agree that something needed to be done about spoiling tactics, but we’ve gone the wrong route for mine. There should have been more sin bins, and we should have gone back to allowing for five minute sin binnings... as we had originally.
Those inconsistencies have always been there and I'd argue the inconsistencies were worse a few years ago. For example I found it totally infuriating when Storm were at their wrestling worst and getting away with it and then their opponents would be penalised for holding down.

The big scorelines were actually an accurate reflection of the quality of the teams. Without referees manufacturing a tight contest there is no hiding how garbage the Bulldogs / Saints etc.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: December 13, 2020, 6:06 pm
greeneyed wrote:I actually found last season to often be infuriating... because of six again and inconsistent refereeing. I also find the big score lines and big margins not too exciting. I agree that something needed to be done about spoiling tactics, but we’ve gone the wrong route for mine. There should have been more sin bins, and we should have gone back to allowing for five minute sin binnings... as we had originally.
Those inconsistencies have always been there and I'd argue the inconsistencies were worse a few years ago. For example I found it totally infuriating when Storm were at their wrestling worst and getting away with it and then their opponents would be penalised for holding down.

The big scorelines were actually an accurate reflection of the quality of the teams. Without referees manufacturing a tight contest there is no hiding how garbage the Bulldogs / Saints etc.

I think the inconsistencies are much more annoying now, because the referees intervene much more. And I sit there watching a game... and one team concedes multiple restarts in a row... and concede points as a result... yet the opposite situations happen and suddenly, that’s OK. The referees are hiding behind six again and they’re escaping proper scrutiny. And the inconsistency drives me mad. It grinds my gears!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: December 13, 2020, 6:06 pm

I think the inconsistencies are much more annoying now, because the referees intervene much more. And I sit there watching a game... and one team concedes multiple restarts in a row... and concede points as a result... yet the opposite situations happen and suddenly, that’s OK. The referees are hiding behind six again and they’re escaping proper scrutiny. And the inconsistency drives me mad. It grinds my gears!
I think you might be suffering from recency bias but agree to disagree on this one.

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

So, with the refs calling 6 again for offsides, I believe that they will still have the discretion to call a penalty for "professional fouls" or repeated offences. I'm ok with that if the professional intent is obvious, but I'd really like to see some hard and fast rulings on repeated offences. Is it 3 in a row? 3 offsides within 6 tackles (if they can remember to count because the tackle count has already started twice already)? Two offsides because of confirmation bias from the ref? 5 offsides in 8 tackles because it's the Roosters? Obviously if the NRL say what the actual instruction to refs is, then all teams will game it. If they don't say it out loud, then my final question will be the one that has fans up in arms - some teams will get away with more than others.

The two point field goal will be irrelevant. Just as there was only a single 20/40 attempt (or was it just a desperation kick from a rubbish team) this season, there have been two successful field goals of over 40 metres in the last five seasons - I'm sure you've all seen this widely reported. I'll be astounded if there are any circumstances in the next season where anyone would even want to try it. And as it was a suggestion from a single fan, apparently, I'd just like to suggest that maybe V'Landis in his hubris though that this would be throwing a bone to the fans, and everyone on the rules committee went "what the hell, no-one's going to do it anyway, let the emperor have his fig leaf".

I'm more concerned about the play-the-ball restart from a kick into touch. Obviously from a defence point of view it means that fullbacks are going to kill themselves getting across to take the play-the-ball from the nearest winger, so aerobic fitness (and fullback money) will need a massive boost. A good kicker will be able to work out how to put pressure on the defence - it depends how much time the first defender is allowed to faff around before someone gets into dummy half. Maybe it will end up like the league equivalent of union's pushover try - no one got into dummy half so the 4 tacklers just grabbed it on the next play and ran away with it. Is the first guy with the ball allowed to wait? Who tf knows. And for attackers, if you can't so that, why kick for touch at all? Your forwards aren't getting a rest anyway, so will we just see more and more midfield bombs? We certainly won't see attacking scrums which were supposed to be so exciting this year (and yes GE I did see a few that were set on one flank or the other - not many but not every single one was set in the middle - maybe 95% only...) but we might just see kicking at the posts (after all you can't risk a 7 tackle set).

I don't really think much of any of these rules, except the play the ball one, and let's face it, that's basically as archaic as scrums anyway. If the marker can't strike for the ball what bloody difference does it make whether the dummy half gets it off a foot or a hand roll? I'll answer that - NONE! Given that 5 out of 6 play the balls are hand rolls with a wave of the foot in the general area of the ball, wait for the screams when a ref decides a game with a handover under the posts. In fact, not that I've tried to articulate this, it's a garbage rule too.

Basically, these rule changes are a steaming pile. Hopefully Ricky already knows how he's going to exploit them.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I’m with gerg on this one. The referees are still making mistakes, but they always have, but at least in 2020 it actually felt like they had a much lesser impact on the games.

I quite like everything the new commission is doing. They’re trying to improve the game, and that’s the main thing.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

IMO the best rule changes are the ones that are focused on addressing issues, not just providing 'innovation'. The 'six again' rule was (IMO) successful as it directly addressed a trend of teams directly giving away penalties to slow down the game and ruin the spectacle. Similarly, the trainer rule for next year clearly addresses a similarly cynical trend and seems a great rule to me.

Things like a 2 point field goal and 20/40 are gimmicky changes for changes sake IMO, even if they are used (which the 20/40 wasn't and I suspect the field goal will hardly be either) it's unclear to me how they will actually make the game better.

I guess the PTB for a kick into touch sits somewhere between the two - I can see why they have done it, but I don't think it's a bad thing for players to have tactical ways to manage the clock (as completely distinct from cynical tactics from coaches/trainers to the same effect).

Having said all that, I thought the footy overall improved in 2020 with the changes that were implemented so let's hope it continues for next year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

At least the two point field goal rewards a skill. The play the ball after a touch finder actually penalises a skill. The game of rugby league is as much about defence as it is attack, about game management. The NRL seems to be hell bent on turning the game into basketball.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fit teams with a great kick chase are obviously going to benefit most from this rule. Looking forward to Wighton continuing to be put on his **** every time after he kicks it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 15, 2020, 9:53 am Fit teams with a great kick chase are obviously going to benefit most from this rule. Looking forward to Wighton continuing to be put on his **** every time after he kicks it.
Is a non-call like that challengeable?

Ricky's media comments about it normally draw a positive effect for a week or two. But I notice it's a penalty refs blow once early and then ignore for the rest of the game and teams know that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: December 15, 2020, 9:37 am At least the two point field goal rewards a skill. The play the ball after a touch finder actually penalises a skill. The game of rugby league is as much about defence as it is attack, about game management. The NRL seems to be hell bent on turning the game into basketball.
The defending team (well, now the attacking team since they have the upcoming play the ball) all has to get back behind the play the ball before it can be taken correct? It's not a union lineout situation.

So it won't be as fast as all that, but still quicker than a scrum. A long kick for touch will this still reap benefits but drilling one over the sideline from 20m out from the opposition line just to waste time won't be.

It still reduces the capacity to control a game but not entirely I guess.
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

Post by papabear »

The Nickman wrote: December 11, 2020, 9:34 pm
greeneyed wrote:
RTW wrote: December 11, 2020, 5:39 pm Of all the changes I am most disappointing in the play the ball for kicks into touch.

The best halves have always used kicking to control the speed of the game and it is a shame this is taken away from them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Absolutely agree. It’s not touch footy.
Yeah, I don’t actually like that one either. It should be a scrum when you kick for touch
I disagree.

It is weak, soft and against the fabric of rugby league being a tough sport.

You should not have enforced breathers for no penalty which this was.

Draining the clock as opposed to playing to the final whistle is never as entertaining.

Tbh it’s my favourite rule change.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:16 am
Seiffert82 wrote: December 15, 2020, 9:53 am Fit teams with a great kick chase are obviously going to benefit most from this rule. Looking forward to Wighton continuing to be put on his **** every time after he kicks it.
Is a non-call like that challengeable?

Ricky's media comments about it normally draw a positive effect for a week or two. But I notice it's a penalty refs blow once early and then ignore for the rest of the game and teams know that.
Doubt it - challenges can only be made at a stoppage can't they? Stops teams from strategically challenging a non-call to disrupt the opposition.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

How much time ticks by between a try being scored and the kick off?

If they are looking to speed up the game and make more happen,don’t waste the time they already have.

Stop the clock on a try.
Resume the time at the kickoff.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

mick63 wrote: December 23, 2020, 5:05 pm How much time ticks by between a try being scored and the kick off?

If they are looking to speed up the game and make more happen,don’t waste the time they already have.

Stop the clock on a try.
I've thought this for years. And when when ball goes out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

mick63 wrote: December 23, 2020, 5:05 pm How much time ticks by between a try being scored and the kick off?

Stop the clock on a try.
That won’t speed up the game. Would likely make it slower, as more time would be taken between the try and re-start. But it would probably mean more game time. Games could end up lasting over two hours though. They already cut that fine at times.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Begbie wrote: December 23, 2020, 5:09 pm

Stop the clock on a try.
I've thought this for years. And when when ball goes out.
Agree totally with this one.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:

Stop the clock on a try.
That won’t speed up the game. Would likely make it slower, as more time would be taken between the try and re-start. But it would probably mean more game time. Games could end up lasting over two hours though. They already cut that fine at times.
Yeah, it could make tv scheduling more difficult if game times vary by a larger margin

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: December 23, 2020, 8:46 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Stop the clock on a try.
Yeah, it could make tv scheduling more difficult if game times vary by a larger margin
Would make it just about impossible. Not practical to do it really. The margin is more than fine at times, some already go longer than two hours.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

mick63 wrote:How much time ticks by between a try being scored and the kick off?

Stop the clock on a try.
It's 90 seconds to time off, in terms of real time it'd be closer to 2 minutes once it's time on

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk