Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises new NRL rule changes

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises new NRL rule changes

Post by greeneyed »

NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

The NRL has announced several rule changes for the 2021 Telstra Premiership season to make the game "faster, more free-flowing, entertaining and unpredictable".

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/11/nrl ... ertaining/

2021 NRL Premiership Rule Changes

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) today met and approved multiple rule changes for the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season designed to make the game faster, more free-flowing, entertaining and unpredictable for fans.

The Commission also completed a review of rule changes that were adopted for the 2020 season and approved the changes to continue, including the return to one on-field official, as a permanent part of the game. The Commission made the decisions after considering a meeting and recommendations of the newly formed Innovation Committee which met on Monday, and a special Committee to review the one on-field match official. The special Committee was comprised of NRL, match official, player, coach and independent representatives.

RULE CHANGES FOR 2021 SEASON

2 points for field goal outside the 40m line
To encourage more unstructured play and increase the chances of a result changing in the final moments of a game, a 2-point field goal will be awarded for teams who kick a field goal from outside the 40m line. The new rule will provide an incentive to seek an additional point scoring opportunity at critical times of a match, particularly with limited time remaining on the clock in each half.

Six again for 10 metre infringements
To reduce stoppages in the game, 10 metre infringement penalties will be replaced with a “Six Again” ruling. Referees maintain the ability to blow a penalty and sin bin a player if a side has made repeated 10m infringements or in the case of professional fouls. The “Six Again” rule provided a sufficient deterrent for teams who purposely sought a penalty to slow the game down during previous years. This rule was trialled in two games during round 20 of last season. This will result in a fast game, less stoppages and more free-flowing action for fans.

Scrums
The Commission determined scrums are part of the game’s DNA. To increase the integrity of scrums, the referee will call “BREAK” when he or she is satisfied the ball is out of a scrum. Players will not be permitted to break from a scrum until the referee makes the call. Where players break before the call of “BREAK”, the referee will award a full penalty. The team receiving the penalty will also have the option of re-packing the scrum. If the scrum is re-packed and players again break early a further penalty will be awarded and one of the offending players will be sent to the sin bin.

Play the ball restart after ball or player finds touch
When the ball is kicked or carried into touch play will resume with a play the ball rather than a scrum. This rule was trialled in two games during the final round of last season.

Handover for incorrect play the ball
A handover will be ordered where players do not make a genuine attempt to play the ball with their foot. This will ensure greater compliance to the rule and integrity around the play the ball, without increasing penalty stoppages.

Captain's challenge
In cases where a Captain’s Challenge review is inconclusive, the on-field decision will stand but the team will retain their challenge. Fans have expressed frustration with teams losing a challenge where replays prove inconclusive, this will ensure a greater opportunity for teams to have a challenges available later in matches.

Bunker Reviews
Where the on-field referee believes a try is scored the referee will award a try and the bunker will review the decision in the background. A conversion attempt will not be permitted until the bunker is satisfied a try has been scored. This will ensure even less stoppage time and ensure momentum in the game continues. This rule was trialled in two games during the final round of last season.

Trainers
In 2021, where a trainer asks a match official to stop the game for an injury, the injured player must be either interchanged or taken off the field for a period of two minutes of elapsed game time before he is permitted to resume his place on the field. This will reduce the number of stoppages for minor injuries.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said the innovative rule changes would lead to faster games and more unpredictability.

“These innovations will lead to less stoppages, more unpredictability and increased excitement for our fans,’’ he said.

“The message from the fans and our broadcasters has been clear; the game became too predictable and the balance between attack and defence had gone too far in favour of defence.

“Our changes last year were successful in addressing some of those challenges and the changes announced today will take the element of unpredictability and entertainment a step further.”

Mr V’landys said introducing a two-point field goal would provide a greater incentive for teams to attack right until the siren of each half.

“Providing the opportunity for a two-point play will give teams incentive to make attacking plays to get into field goal range at the end of a half. It will also ensure teams who are down by one or two points in the dying moments of a match have a better opportunity to win a game or go to golden point.”

Mr V’landys said the game conducted a survey of NRL account holders and club members to ensure fans had their voice heard at the Commission table today.

“You’ve got to give the customer what they want. We want to attract new fans to our game and we want our current fans to keep coming back to watch games live at the ground or on TV. It was important to understand what they want.”

Mr V’landys said the Commission determined rule changes that were introduced for the resumption of the 2020 season will remain.

“It is clear the new innovations last season were a success. You only have to look at the data, there were more tries, more line breaks and more minutes of ball in play and the response from our fans and players has been positive,’’ he said.

“In particular, the Six Again rule has addressed the biggest issue that was in the game and that was the wrestle. The changes have sped up the ruck and made the game more free flowing which is exactly what the Commission wanted to see.”

Mr V’landys thanked the Innovation Committee for their assistance in providing guidance to the Commission.

The Innovation Committee was chaired by Commissioner Wayne Pearce and included Mr V’landys, NRL CEO Andrew Abdo, NRL Head of Elite Competitions Graham Annesley, NRL coaches Craig Bellamy and Ricky Stuart, NRL players Damien Cook and Luke Keary and referee Matt Cecchin.

“This is an important committee. It has been asked to look at innovative ways to enhance the fan experience, not only on the field but with off-field initiatives which we are looking at. I thank all the members for their assistance, particularly our coaches, players and match official who provided excellent input,’’ said Mr V’landys.

NRL media release

‘What the hell is this’: NRL world reacts in disbelief to rules shake-up: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1fa04dc05d
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

Post by greeneyed »

Too much tinkering. Where is the simplification? It’s just adding complexity all the time.

Why not make the field goal worth three points and we can become rugby union?! Who comes up with this stuff? I cannot recall a single person in the game arguing that field goals of any sort should be worth more than one point.

The game is going to become too fast, with the expansion of six again and no scrum for a touch finder.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Handover for incorrect play the ball is something I’ve been advocating for over a decade.

Hopefully better PTB’s will lead to a reduced need to wrestle in some rucks.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

This is actually quite disheartening. Not sure why we want to turn the sport into some sort of Big Bash like circus. I can’t imagine it will increase profits or crowd numbers
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Toviii wrote:This is actually quite disheartening. Not sure why we want to turn the sport into some sort of Big Bash like circus. I can’t imagine it will increase profits or crowd numbers
As I’ve said before. The best rule changes have proven to be the simplest rule changes.

Some of these rule changes seem quite complex.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

greeneyed wrote: December 11, 2020, 11:22 am Too much tinkering. Where is the simplification? It’s just adding complexity all the time.

Why not make the field goal worth three points and we can become rugby union?! Who comes up with this stuff? I cannot recall a single person in the game arguing that field goals of any sort should be worth more than one point.

The game is going to become too fast, with the expansion of six again and no scrum for a touch finder.
Totally agree. I hate the 2-pt 40+ field goal rule. When was this discussed by the rugby league public? No one asked for it.
The comparison to the Big Bash is a good one; the Big Bash is fun, but it’s the faster version of more traditional formats. Save these gimmicks for the 9s or an All Star game.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I will expand later, but I think most of the rules are really positive.

The two point field goal will get the publicity but it will hardly ever be used. The other rules are more interesting, particularly the breaking at scrums.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

All because of the wrestle.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: December 11, 2020, 11:22 am Why not make the field goal worth three points and we can become rugby union?!
Obviously 2 points is closer to 3 so I take your point, but the other rules make the game further away from Rugby Union than it has ever been. In fact you could almost call Union "Slow Rugby" and League "Fast rugby".

Things like the scrums in league are becoming more and more about speed whereas union is about strength.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Of course for those who want to maintain the "tradition", for most of RL's history field goals were worth 2 points.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The long field goal I don't like. Agree on the "needless complexity" expanding around kicks in particular.

They are continuing the trend toward 6 agains/handovers for a greater range of infringements which basically just leaves the refs blowing the penalty for foul play and 6 again or handover for everything else. That's going to feel different again. Will make the game even faster and not be good for the big boys. At least some of these re intuitive- stuff up the play the ball then other team takes your play the ball.

How the hell are you supposed to get back onside if you're backpedalling, can't get back then get pinged 6 again for offside? That's a play on situation with no break in play at all. What are you supposed to do? If reps don't pause in their then we'll see a lot of tries up the middle vs ragged defences with offside players holding off or going to the bin I suppose. Could be too much in favour of attack again there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The refereeing around the six again call was wildly inconsistent in 2020, with major momentum swings/builders and points more or less happening at the whim of the referees. The NRL’s reaction has been to deny a return to two referees and expand six again even further. The game has gone down this path before with Super League... when the game was so fast that it lost its gladiatorial contest and we had scorelines of 45-42. That’s no longer rugby league. We’re in danger of losing something people love about the game, because Peter V’Landys likes to shoot from the hip.

The field goal stuff... like the 20/40 last year... adds complexity for absolutely no reason. At least in the case of the 20/40 I can remember Peter Sterling suggesting it first. No one ever asked for two point field goals.

The game’s rules don’t need changing every single year. The lack of transparency and consultation is poor administration.

The rule on the trainers stopping play is a good one... and probably the only one that was really necessary, due to coaches exploiting rules to the clear detriment of the game.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

2021 Rule Changes

Post by Matt »

The NRL has rule changes for 2021

The changes are:

1. the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out
2. six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements
3. penalties for teams if they leave a scrum before a referee calls "break"
4. a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline
5. The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light
6. injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped
7. when a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt
8. and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/11/nrl ... WGivWRCPPI
Wiggy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Wiggy »

8. and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot
I love this one. They should extend it to when players don't play the ball on the mark as well.

A penalty was always too harsh, so refs would just ignore the infringement. This is the right balance.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote:I will expand later, but I think most of the rules are really positive.

The two point field goal will get the publicity but it will hardly ever be used. The other rules are more interesting, particularly the breaking at scrums.
Yeah, I’m with you. I like a lot of these new interpretations
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Wiggy wrote:
I love this one. They should extend it to when players don't play the ball on the mark as well.

A penalty was always too harsh, so refs would just ignore the infringement. This is the right balance.
Papa is in big trouble here

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL’s best sharpshooters who can exploit new two point field goal rule

The new 40-metre 2-point field goal rule has shaken up the game and left us wondering who will be the most successful of the current stars to use it to their advantage.

There have only been two successful field goals from 40 metres out in the last five seasons, with Michael Morgan (42m) in Round 1, 2020 against Broncos right on half time and Corey Norman (41m) in Round 4, 2019 against the Knights to win in Golden Point.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e56e074550

I don't know who dreamed this ridiculous rule up... given there have only been two successful field goals from more than 40 metres out... but it has likely handed an advantage to the Panthers (Cleary), Sea Eagles (DCE), and Rabbitohs (Reynolds). A small number of teams. And for what reason?

I hope George Williams will spend a lot of the off season practicing field goals...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Papa will be in trouble. Entire Roosters and Storm pack will be in very big trouble.

I counted an entire set where the Roosters didn’t touch the ball with their foot.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's up to the refs to be consistent now

That's always been the problem

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Of all the changes I am most disappointing in the play the ball for kicks into touch.

The best halves have always used kicking to control the speed of the game and it is a shame this is taken away from them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: December 11, 2020, 5:39 pm Of all the changes I am most disappointing in the play the ball for kicks into touch.

The best halves have always used kicking to control the speed of the game and it is a shame this is taken away from them.

Absolutely agree. It’s not touch footy.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: December 11, 2020, 1:08 pm The refereeing around the six again call was wildly inconsistent in 2020, with major momentum swings/builders and points more or less happening at the whim of the referees. The NRL’s reaction has been to deny a return to two referees and expand six again even further. The game has gone down this path before with Super League... when the game was so fast that it lost its gladiatorial contest and we had scorelines of 45-42. That’s no longer rugby league. We’re in danger of losing something people love about the game, because Peter V’Landys likes to shoot from the hip.

The field goal stuff... like the 20/40 last year... adds complexity for absolutely no reason. At least in the case of the 20/40 I can remember Peter Sterling suggesting it first. No one ever asked for two point field goals.

The game’s rules don’t need changing every single year. The lack of transparency and consultation is poor administration.

The rule on the trainers stopping play is a good one... and probably the only one that was really necessary, due to coaches exploiting rules to the clear detriment of the game.
The writing was on the wall as soon as they created an "innovation committee" (which Ricky is on). To justify it's existence, it has to burp out 4 ideas every season, crap or not. Then to be seen as "innovative" and tick that box the NRL execs have to support innovation by implementing said crap ideas.

Innovation being the current corporate buzzword means there was never going to be a "stability" committee. See Big Bash League for further examples of rules getting in the way of the game for reasons that make sense to sports execs but are just crap.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: December 11, 2020, 2:27 pm
Wiggy wrote:

Papa is in big trouble here

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
"Genuine attempt" is still not stipulating actual contact with the foot needs to be made. Names like Papa will be ok. Guys like CHN and Lui and rookies better be on the lookout.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

Post by gangrenous »

Can someone think of when taking a shot at a 2 point field goal would not be tactically criminal and deserving of a kick in the bits from the coach?

All I can come up with is that it’s the dying seconds of the game 1 point behind and you happen to be between the 40m and 50m mark. At which point you’re still taking the shot, it changes nothing tactically and if you hit it under the old rule you’re still tying the game with plenty of excitement. So what did making it 2 points really add apart from rewarding field position mediocrity?

I guess you might say a similar situation down by 2, but I reckon most teams will back themselves to go through hands and score a try over landing a 40+m field goal.

I just don’t really see how it changes anything. **** stupid rule.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: December 11, 2020, 7:07 pm Can someone think of when taking a shot at a 2 point field goal would not be tactically criminal and deserving of a kick in the bits from the coach?

All I can come up with is that it’s the dying seconds of the game 1 point behind and you happen to be between the 40m and 50m mark. At which point you’re still taking the shot, it changes nothing tactically and if you hit it under the old rule you’re still tying the game with plenty of excitement. So what did making it 2 points really add apart from rewarding field position mediocrity?

I guess you might say a similar situation down by 2, but I reckon most teams will back themselves to go through hands and score a try over landing a 40+m field goal.

I just don’t really see how it changes anything. **** stupid rule.
It makes very little sense. The fans need to make their views known to the NRL on the constant, poorly thought through, and unnecessary rule changes.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm not keen on the play the ball when the ball goes out. I think that takes away from the skilled kicker tactically slowing the play, especially in the last few minutes of the game.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy to give the other rule changes a go.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fine, can we also make sure a 6 point field goal from 80m out gets put in next year?

Oh and you get 7 points for a try if your name is Tracy or you can prove you were wearing dinosaur underpants at the time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
RTW wrote: December 11, 2020, 5:39 pm Of all the changes I am most disappointing in the play the ball for kicks into touch.

Absolutely agree. It’s not touch footy.
Yeah, I don’t actually like that one either. It should be a scrum when you kick for touch
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This is not the Rugbrugh Leeg I know and love Peter..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

While I don't agree with a few of the changes, last season was one of the better ones, for a long time, as far as entertaining and enjoyable rugby league. I watch most games and I can't remember many games where the referee completely ruined it. The **** games were mainly because two **** teams were playing.

I will place a caveat on this though. Get rid if Ben Cummins. And that is mainly based on him not enforcing the 6again as consistently as the others and his games being clearly slower than others. Secondly and I have no stats to back it up. But my eye test had him as being the referee to get more decisions flat out wrong, and I'd suspect that he was involved in more successful Captains challenges than any other referee.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Ben Cummins has clearly been affected by his monumental stuff up in the 2019 grand final.

He either needs a long break or a different role in the refereeing ranks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: December 12, 2020, 8:29 am While I don't agree with a few of the changes, last season was one of the better ones, for a long time, as far as entertaining and enjoyable rugby league. I watch most games and I can't remember many games where the referee completely ruined it. The **** games were mainly because two **** teams were playing.

I will place a caveat on this though. Get rid if Ben Cummins. And that is mainly based on him not enforcing the 6again as consistently as the others and his games being clearly slower than others. Secondly and I have no stats to back it up. But my eye test had him as being the referee to get more decisions flat out wrong, and I'd suspect that he was involved in more successful Captains challenges than any other referee.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I don’t like him either..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises new NRL rule changes

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises new NRL rule changes

Ricky Stuart believes recently announced tweaks to the NRL laws will encourage more attacking rugby league. Stuart was part of the Committee that considered the new rules for 2021.

"There'll be certain bits of coaching that'll change in regards to some of the changes," Stuart said. "Now there's going to be a play the ball off kicking the ball into touch, there'll be coaches who will find a reason why they want to keep the ball in play or actually then want to start from a set piece with a full line of defence.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry Ricky, I think they’re mostly duds. As is the decision to stick to one referee. V’Landys tells us that the idea for two point long range field goals came from a fan letter sent to him. So one fan comes up with a dodgy idea and it’s suddenly now a new rule! No consultation with the wider rugby league community. Nobody else ever asked for it or canvassed it. V’Landys’ approach is very poor administration in my view.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Not a fan of the 2pt foeld goal. I think it can have an absolutely terrible effect on the game cause now, whereas there was often lots of second phase play when a game was close at the death it will now end abruptly, with a failed missed field goal.

That said i reckon all other rule changes are spot on. Absolutely love the trainer stopping play rule...

My only hope is that the 2pt field goal never actually happens