Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged with assaulting police

Post by Raiders666 »

Lol as if he would do that....surely not
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: December 6, 2020, 9:50 pm Going for the gun is not a good story if it stacks up.
It seems a little strange that this story from “a police source” emerges only after it emerged the Tom has been badly beaten, and it is now reported it is being alleged the police did it. The question is, why wasn’t this mentioned in the official police statement? The only reported injury to the police is a cut to one policeman’s hand. Looks like Tom’s face came off second best from the pics. We shall just have to wait for all the facts to emerge.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

"Going for my gun" is the most over used defence for beating someone ever. This is cops covering their arses after they realised they **** up and beat up someone who wasn't a total nobody.

The cop with the "cut on his hand", most likely from punching people in the face, got medical attention right away. Starling was locked up overnight with none (and that is how so many people keep dying in police custody).

The cops are going to have to drag this into the courts so they don't look stupid and it will end up with the judge telling them off, but nothing actually happening (except for a massive waste of tax payers money when they have to cover Starlings legal defence).
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Ch 7 showed some footage multiple times on their news tonight (7 news, the Sydney version). It shows a bouncer/security guard holding TS by the neck from behind on a staircase and dragging his shirt up over his face. It's hard to see if he has already suffered the facial injuries featured in the photos, but it doesn't look like it. TS is doing nothing but trying not to get strangled, I'd say. A bloke behind him is shown kicking out, but at the same time is also being held from behind, possibly by a policeman (the footage is pretty murky).

I'll say it up front. This case is nothing. Tom can look forward to a hefty award.

Oh, and while this was the second item on the news bulletin, the first was how NSW police stuffed up the quarantining of two German travelers. I'll stop there.

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 6101540865
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Starling looks like he was completely off his face in that footage and completely incapable of throwing a punch at anyone. Most likely his face got smashed up after being pushed down the stairs.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Well, having lived on the Central Coast for the best part of 2 decades I have quite the circle of trusted friends in the area. Many frequent this restaurant often. One in particular was there on the night in question whom I would believe to be a reputable source if any.

In fact, I have known this gentleman for years. I have grown up with him in fact and he is a very trusted compadre. He has been to all of my weddings, he has helped me through all of my break ups and there is probably no other non family member on this planet I would trust more to be honest to me with the information he saw or learned.

And he told me absolutely nothing as he left almost 4 hours prior to this altercation and has absolutely zero insight regarding the events.

I for one hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Lucy wrote: December 7, 2020, 12:45 am Well, having lived on the Central Coast for the best part of 2 decades I have quite the circle of trusted friends in the area. Many frequent this restaurant often. One in particular was there on the night in question whom I would believe to be a reputable source if any.

In fact, I have known this gentleman for years. I have grown up with him in fact and he is a very trusted compadre. He has been to all of my weddings, he has helped me through all of my break ups and there is probably no other non family member on this planet I would trust more to be honest to me with the information he saw or learned.

And he told me absolutely nothing as he left almost 4 hours prior to this altercation and has absolutely zero insight regarding the events.

I for one hope this helps.

Perfect, thanks!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:“And it seems like everyone in NSW was in on it”

“Willie wasn’t!!”
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

See how it shakes out but that story about him reaching for a gun is absolutely not passing my sniff test.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: December 7, 2020, 7:51 am See how it shakes out but that story about him reaching for a gun is absolutely not passing my sniff test.
I think the Curtis Scott incident really opened the eyes of a lot of people to the culture in the NSW Police force. I was certainly shocked by the incident... and very surprised by the response of the Commissioner after the court's findings, which were highly critical of the police actions. The Commissioner showed no remorse or embarrassment over it, quite the contrary. The slightest movement from Curtis Scott was used as excuse for brutal treatment. It is more than fair that people might now question an "explanation" of "going for the gun". I guess we'll have to wait and see what the evidence is.

I'm really surprised that it appears Tom received no medical treatment for his injuries until released the next morning. He had to take himself to a Gosford hospital. Surely in Australia we should be expecting people are treated better.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: December 7, 2020, 7:51 am See how it shakes out but that story about him reaching for a gun is absolutely not passing my sniff test.
Yeah, my gut feel is it's a completely bogus excuse too once they realise they done goofed.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yeah I think we'll just wait and see here, you'd expect Donny has Macedone on speed dial

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: December 6, 2020, 9:50 pm Going for the gun is not a good story if it stacks up.
Have you ever, in the history of all your idiot mates (I'm just assuming you have as many as I do) heard of one being out for SUnday lunch with their mum- at what all sources suggest is actually a nice bistro and not a drinking den- and ever even had the thought in their head of pulling a policeman's gun?

The cynic in me sees a similar pattern to when cops stuffed up Scott's incident and then loaded on a bunch of vindictive, bulldust charges and then started leaking to the media how the big scary nrl player had assaulted a lady policeman. And it was all just to win early PR support and try to pressure the accussed into giving in.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Anyone else get this vibe about "he reached for my gun"?
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

My hunch is while Starling was being thrown to the ground or something, perhaps he's grabbed at a waist to stay upright? Maybe they think that'll stand up on camera as a gun grab?

They leaked early on last time that Scott had assaulted a lady police officer (the brute!) and we saw the truth of that. I wonder what the body cams and pubs CCTV will show up. Police were there collecting it the next day. I wonder if they cooked this up then or if it is on statements about the incident dated before that?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: December 7, 2020, 9:39 am
My hunch is while Starling was being thrown to the ground or something, perhaps he's grabbed at a waist to stay upright? Maybe they think that'll stand up on camera as a gun grab?

They leaked early on last time that Scott had assaulted a lady police officer (the brute!) and we saw the truth of that. I wonder what the body cams and pubs CCTV will show up. Police were there collecting it the next day. I wonder if they cooked this up then or if it is on statements about the incident dated before that?
some footage released

Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

After seeing the video of Scott, any charge of assaulting police I'll take with a grain of salt. Making no pre-judgement of guilt or innocence here. Will wait and see what pans out.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"We'll support Tom": Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says the club will stand behind Tom Starling, after hearing the young hooker's version of events at a Central Coast restaurant which led to his arrest and charges of assaulting police.

Stuart says that what's happened is disappointing, but he'd have been more disappointed if Starling didn't defend his mother and brother on Saturday night.

It is reported that the incident was sparked by a derogatory comment about Starling's mother that was heard by his brother - with Starling intervening to support his brother in an ensuing altercation.

"It is disappointing," Stuart said.

"I have spoken to Tom at length yesterday and I know a number of our club officials have spoken to Tommy. I can't say too much because obviously it's going to be before the courts now."

"Speaking to Tom, defending his mother and his brother, I was obviously OK with. If he didn't jump in to defend his brother and mother, I'd probably be more disappointed in the guy."

"His version of events is a lot different to what's been publicly stated. If his version of events is truthful, which I have no doubt I think it would be, because he's not a guy that's going to lie to me, I think he'll be OK."

It is reported that Starling will say he never threw a punch or intended to act aggressively.

Photos of a badly beaten Starling were published yesterday. The Daily Telegraph has reported - on the basis of a "police source" - that Starling was punched by police after Starling reached for an officer's gun. Stuart today cast doubt on that claim.

"I only spoke to him by phone yesterday, but he was shaken up and disappointed," Stuart said.

"It's not in his nature."

"The point today that is out there about reaching for an officer's gun, I mean no one in their right mind would do that. I think it is highly unlikely that Tommy would and I certainly hope it hasn't been the case."

Pre season training started today for the Raiders, but coach Stuart has given Tom Starling the day off. Starling will join the squad tomorrow.

Stuart says that he hopes that Starling's case does not drag on - after Curtis Scott's case took the best part of this year to resolve.

After an incident following Australia Day celebrations, Scott was ultimately found to have been unlawfully arrested and brutally treated by police. All charges against him were dropped and he is now pursuing damages from the NSW Police.

"It's before the courts now, and they will handle it. Hopefully it doesn't drag on too long for our sake and the game's sake. I'm all about the game too. There have been headlines over the last month or six weeks that have not been good for our game, and I just hope that we can put it to bed very quickly."

"It affected Curtis last year, the drag on of the court system, the embarrassment of it," Stuart said.

"I hope it doesn't drag on again this year for Tommy's sake. As a club, we've just got to move forward. We've got get on with it. But we will certainly support Tommy, going on what he told me yesterday, with his version of events... telling me the truth, which was all I asked for. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out."

Stuart said the club and playing group will now rally behind Starling.

"The [players will] get behind him and support Tommy. It's just a part of our DNA here. I don't say that lightly. We'll support Tom," Stuart said.

"But we'll just move on, we've got a season to prepare for now. We can't let this drag any other player down."

"We'll just make sure we get right behind him and move forward with our football. Tom will too. He's a good person. He'll come into our playing program tomorrow and start again."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart speaks about Tom Starling: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... -to-start/

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart stands by 'shaken' hooker Tom Starling following police charges: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart hopes for a quick resolution to Tom Starling’s legal battle: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1720938

Ponga, Johns to be grilled by NRL as police claim rising Raiders star ‘grabbed at an officer’s pistol’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bb267e1f93

‘We will certainly support Tommy’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7f4e610e5b
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So in the footage we see kicking people, pushing them down stairs, and arresting them by holding their hair...

Police injuries - Cut to hand.
Arrested persons injuries - 20 stiches, facial bruising and bleed, arms in slings.

Can't wait to see the body cam footage from this one, although also won't be shocked if they were "down for maintenance".

Also the guy who kicked someone wasn't Starling as far as I can tell it was his mate though.
Last edited by Ultima on December 7, 2020, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some pretty cautious yet direct statements there from Stuart.

Basically there are a lot of accusations being thrown about in the media, but he is backing his player 100%.

There certainly seems to be quite a few cultural issues that need to be addressed in that police force.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The real question is, is anyone here either not a Captain Punish alt or has not been married to and divorced from Lucy at some stage in their life? Seems unlikely.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 7, 2020, 10:59 am The real question is, is anyone here either not a Captain Punish alt or has not been married to and divorced from Lucy at some stage in their life? Seems unlikely.
I'd love to know why he's unbanned again... seems like a horrible oversight by somebody at the top
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged with assaulting police

Post by BJ »

BadnMean wrote:
Have you ever, in the history of all your idiot mates (I'm just assuming you have as many as I do) heard of one being out for SUnday lunch with their mum- at what all sources suggest is actually a nice bistro and not a drinking den- and ever even had the thought in their head of pulling a policeman's gun?

The cynic in me sees a similar pattern to when cops stuffed up Scott's incident and then loaded on a bunch of vindictive, bulldust charges and then started leaking to the media how the big scary nrl player had assaulted a lady policeman. And it was all just to win early PR support and try to pressure the accussed into giving in.
1. That’s probably my thoughts as well. That’s what I hinted at.

2. If you have as many idiot mates as I did. I also feel sorry for you.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The whole gun thing just doesnt add up. The thing about "going for a gun" is the fact that once sucessfull it will be used. Now, if you are being arrested for a cold murder or you have numerous priors of the most serious types, going for the gun and shooting your way out of your current predicament might make some sense. Refusing to leave licenced premises is hardly the type of offence to warrant a shoot out. There is nothing that I have seen in Tom Starling that makes me believe he would do anything that warranted getting his face punched off by a Police Officer, let alone be a gunman.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

there was a stupid thing about taking a cop's gun there for a while but I doubt you are going for it mid brawl

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Very interesting comments from Ricky I thought.

It is highly unusual for a club to come out and back the player as strongly as Ricky did. Normally they play a pretty straight bat and say “we will let the investigation run its course.”

If Ricky is making those statements publicly, I would have thought they know there is not much in it.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Just curious is there even any reports that tom was that drunk?

And a cops gun is pretty secure....
Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Cat...

Raiders player: we need to question every detail of this scenario and cast a little doubt over the police investigation. Surely just a bit of a media beat up. And lets just wait for due process.

Non Raiders player: hang em high.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote: December 7, 2020, 4:28 pm Just curious is there even any reports that tom was that drunk?

And a cops gun is pretty secure....
I'm pretty sure he was sober and helping an old lady across the road when he was set on by a group of roosters and broncos players...
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

gergreg wrote:Cat...

Raiders player: we need to question every detail of this scenario and cast a little doubt over the police investigation. Surely just a bit of a media beat up. And lets just wait for due process.

Non Raiders player: hang em high.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
He was sober. And unsurprisingly he was wearing full kit still. He hadn't even changed since the prelim. Boots and all. He is that much of an ambassador, he lives the Raiders.

GHC
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mal

Post by GHC »

Betoota Advocate has weighed in:

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/sports/ca ... sw-police/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting extra information:

Sources close to Starling told the Herald the Raiders star jumped in to defend his brother, but was held back by a number of officers who he struggled with, believing they were patrons rather than police as they were plain-clothed. Starling’s camp also believes police notified members of the media, who were waiting when the youngster left the police station.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ricky- ... 56l9n.html

Also alleged a bouncer made the reported comment about Tom’s mother.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Will wait for the facts to emerge, but based on the scott episode i cannot help but feel that starling may be the victim here. Based on how the scott matter was handled, its obvious there are clear issues which the police need to face into. Unfortunately it seems that they are complete denial. What ever the outcome i just hope that this doesnt drag out like Scott's case did this year
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Who goes to a laid back lounge chair restaurant for a chilled meal and starts beating on "other patrons" in the first place?

Regardless of the risk of them being plain clothed police.