2020 in review - Matthew Timoko

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty seventh instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young, Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman, Corey Harawira-Naera, Joe Tapine, Corey Horsburgh, Emre Guler, Kai O'Donnell and Harley Smith-Shields.

Matt Timoko made his NRL debut off the bench in the Round 16 win over the Canterbury Bulldogs. He got good minutes, replacing an injured Curtis Scott early in the second half. He went on to make one more appearance in 2020 - lining up at centre alongside Harley Smith-Shields in the Round 20 "Rookie Raiders" clash with Cronulla Sharks. Both players made their starting debuts in that game and both were graduates of the Raiders' 2019 Flegg team that made the Grand Final against the Rabbitohs.

Timoko was born in Auckland, playing his junior football with the Ellerslie Eagles. He's a solid centre and a powerful runner, variously reported to stand at 183-185 cms and weigh in at 95-99 kgs. He's only 20 years of age, so he will still be eligible for Jersey Flegg in 2021. At the end of last year, he re-signed with the Raiders to the end of 2022 - but he did not start this season in the top 30. He was officially promoted in November, along with Adam Cook, to the top squad.

I rated him an average of 6/10 for his two NRL appearances, with his highest rating of "7" coming in the Round 20 win over the Sharks. In that match he delivered four tackle breaks, one offload, 137 running metres and 51 post contact metres. Timoko also made a bit of a splash at the 2020 NRL Nines in Perth during the preseason, scoring a double in the match against the Titans. I have not given him a season rating, given he made only two appearances.

Given his low appearance numbers, we clearly shouldn't make too many conclusions from his 2020 statistics. He ranked equal sixth for average metres per game amongst the Raiders backs - and his metres per carry were up with the best. He also showed his promising ability to break a tackle - which will come in handy with the departure of Nick Cotric. His tackle efficiency rate was not too bad. Three try causes was so good... but I suspect they all came in the second half of the clash with the Sharks, with the tiring young Raiders run off their feet.

Timoko will still be classified as a "rookie" in 2021. He's got very good potential. Like other young Raiders, his development was interrupted by a lack of matches in NSW Cup this year. He might well be turning out a fair bit in Jersey Flegg next year, given the Raiders don't have an affiliated NSW Cup team, at this stage at least. Hopefully, that changes. The age limit for Flegg will be increased in 2021 to 21, but it would be desirable for a player like Timoko to get more time playing in the open age NSW Cup - "Apollo protocols" permitting.

How did you rate Matt Timoko's 2020? Tell us below.

Matt Timoko's 2020

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 2
Average minutes: 57
Tries: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 17
All run metres: 181
Average metres per carry: 10
Average metres per game: 91
Tackle breaks: 4
Offloads: 1
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 19
Average tackles per game: 9
1 on 1 tackles: 4
Missed tackles: 3
Average missed tackles per game: 1.5
Ineffective tackles: 1
Tackle efficiency: 83 per cent
Try causes: 3
Line break causes: 2
Errors: 1
Penalties conceded: 0
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2020 in review - Matthew Timoko

Post by simo »

i like timoko more than hss currently
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 11:13 am i like timoko more than hss currently
That's fair enough. He's certainly had a bigger impact in FG on limited minutes than HSS. There is something i cant quite put my finger on about HSS that i love.
Timoko, its something you can easily put your finger on, he's a very powerful ball runner who can dent the line. He defended quite well. And i think he's got a real big future.

Im fairly confident in HSS and Timoko, we've got at least one high quality NRL centre. Maybe 2, but certainly couldnt argue with anyone who has Timoko ahead right now.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: December 1, 2020, 11:17 am
That's fair enough. He's certainly had a bigger impact in FG on limited minutes than HSS. There is something i cant quite put my finger on about HSS that i love.
Timoko, its something you can easily put your finger on, he's a very powerful ball runner who can dent the line. He defended quite well. And i think he's got a real big future.

Im fairly confident in HSS and Timoko, we've got at least one high quality NRL centre. Maybe 2, but certainly couldnt argue with anyone who has Timoko ahead right now.
they genuinely strike me as young croker and bj. id love to see them given some games this year.
Dont delete this GE
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I had the feeling that in the last few weeks of last season 'the hierarchy" seemed to prefer Timoko over HSS. Which is interesting because for most of their junior years it was HSS preferred by a reasonable margin. Maybe they value his physical robustness at this stage of their development.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 11:25 am
Botman wrote: December 1, 2020, 11:17 am

they genuinely strike me as young croker and bj. id love to see them given some games this year.
They certainly have that about them
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's funny, Timoko and HSS are basically the exact same age, height and weight, but one relies on raw power and the other seems to have really good footwork and positioning. It will be interesting to see how their careers play out.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In terms of build and playing style he reminds me of former Manly center Steve Matai. Love Timoko's defensive aggression and willingness to get involved. Early days but heaps of promise to solve the right center position.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I remember Matai’s first few games and he looked much better than Timoko.

I believe Raiders had interest in Matai early and also mid career.

I do hope Timoko and HSS kick on, but I’m not seeing what others are.