The Boxing Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by RedRaider »

Jeff Horn cannot come out after the 8th round having been knocked down twice by Tim Tszyu during the fight. Most had Tszyu winning every round. A clearly dominant performance from Tim Tszyu. He will now be in line for title shots.

I hope Jeff Horn now decides to hang up the gloves. He has nothing more to prove to anyone and I hope those around him convince him of the benefits of permanent retirement from boxing.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yeah its a shame, Horn at his peak was good but that's clearly gone, the desire is gone. I think when he got smashed up by Crawford the gap to that level was clear and he knew couldn't overcome it.

Congrats to Tszyu, I loved watching his old man, my favourite boxer, here's hoping he's got the gears to go through to the top.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Boxing Thread

Post by The Nickman »

I was watching some of the lead up fights at the pub last night and wondering how on earth boxing is still a sport?

With all we know about concussions and the fact a rugby league player gets taken off and assessed everytime he gets the slightest head knock, how do we still have a “sport” which is just concussion on top of concussion?

Can’t have more than a decade left in it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:I was watching some of the lead up fights at the pub last night and wondering how on earth boxing is still a sport?

With all we know about concussions and the fact a rugby league player gets taken off and assessed everytime he gets the slightest head knock, how do we still have a “sport” which is just concussion on top of concussion?

yet UFC is massive

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: August 27, 2020, 8:09 am
The Nickman wrote:I was watching some of the lead up fights at the pub last night and wondering how on earth boxing is still a sport?

yet UFC is massive
....and far more brutal
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 27, 2020, 9:28 am
bonehead wrote: August 27, 2020, 8:09 am

yet UFC is massive
....and far more brutal
...and be lucky to last FIVE years...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Boxing wont go anywhere. It'll exist, it'll just continue to be more and more irrelevant the until it's so irrelevant no one even bothers reporting it. The combat sports talent are moving towards UFC stuff over boxing, there doesnt seem to be any Ali level talent coming through who can take the sport and elevate it again... to many weight divisions too many different commissions. and the sport appears to be as crooked as they come, with seemingly every other "big event" bout marred by judging controversies... no bodies got time for that nonsense.

The most attention boxing has gotten on a world level in the last little while was the Pac-Mayweather fight. Which was unique in that it was such a hyped fight for so long, it attracted the attention of non boxing fans. And recently that Fury- Weilder fight which goes to my theory that boxing only really enters the sporting landscape properly and stays there if you've got a strong and compelling heavyweight division with big time bouts at least every month in that division. I dont know enough to know if those guys and others are deep and compelling enough to keep the sport relevant all year round but you get two charismatic, big units who are willing to knock the piss out of each other and can promote, and people will tune in, even casual fans.

UFC is only going from strength to strength, it's not going anywhere any time soon. Though i dont watch it or care for it at all, i understand there will always be a market for this kind of sports and they're catering wonderfully to it. They'll never be a major sports player in the way the other sports do in terms of attention share for the populace but they'll have plenty enough to keep ticking over, filling stadiums, selling PPVs and generally making a crap ton of money.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't really care for it either but, probably like many found myself watching the non main event fight nights during the covid period pretty regularly as there was not much other sport on. Plus they had a period of 4 fight nights in 8 days.

So due to the fact Dana White went to so much effort to build a isolated facility to get it running whilst no other sport was on in the US, he would have picked up a huge amount of new fans.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: August 27, 2020, 5:34 am yeah its a shame, Horn at his peak was good but that's clearly gone, the desire is gone. I think when he got smashed up by Crawford the gap to that level was clear and he knew couldn't overcome it.

Congrats to Tszyu, I loved watching his old man, my favourite boxer, here's hoping he's got the gears to go through to the top.

I've not seen anyone couner punch as well as Kostya. My all time favourite is Sugar Ray Leonard due to the quality of opposition and his sheer skill level. Plenty of greats though with different styles.

Many started as amateurs with an Olympic qualifier background. As long as boxing remains in the Olympics I think the sport will survive.

Interesting to see who they pick next for Tim.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

as a young fella I was at the gym with mates, next room someone was thrashing the boxing set-up.
Out walked johnny Lewis with Kostya in tow

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

bonehead wrote:as a young fella I was at the gym with mates, next room someone was thrashing the boxing set-up.

Did he speak to you? If so, it was a result of my efforts in bringing him to The Australian College of English Manly Beach Campus as a freshly minted young marketing guy.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Where’s Sleek? His boy got up!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:
bonehead wrote:as a young fella I was at the gym with mates, next room someone was thrashing the boxing set-up.

Did he speak to you? If so, it was a result of my efforts in bringing him to The Australian College of English Manly Beach Campus as a freshly minted young marketing guy.

lovink ewe oll

Edrick The Entertainer
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

gangrenous wrote: August 28, 2020, 7:25 am Where’s Sleek? His boy got up!
Great win by Junior Tszyu. I thought Horndog would be too much, too soon for him but not so.

Junior is a great chance of winning a world championship if he keeps improving. Maybe even as early as next year.

The fight did more than 100,000 PPV buys @ $60 a pop so boxing in this country is alive and well. We've got some of the best young talent we've ever had. The other young bloke to keep an eye out for is Justis Huni who has qualified for the Toyko Olympics (if it ever happens). Probably the best Heavyweight talent we've ever had and he's only 20.

Junior Tszyu is the new King of Australian boxing. Long may he reign.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Roy Jones Jnr V Mike Tyson exhibition match. Tyson has been a long time out of the ring but looks to still pack a punch in training. He will need to catch Roy Jones Jnr who is not going to stand in front of him like most heavy weight fighters have against him. I don't see Jones wanting to clinch too often for the sake of his ears. Tyson still has those metal teeth.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Iron Mike looks good at the weigh in.

Tyson 100kg
JonesJnr 96kg
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Called a draw, but by all unofficial accounts Tyson was the winner. No official scorers and 8 x 2 minutes rounds with the gloves being over 12oz so much bigger (more padded) than for a professional fight. Still, to stay vertical for that length of time for the 50 something fighters is a credit to both. No head gear being worn either. Ear protection deemed not necessary??
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu v Bowyn Morgan this Wednesday night. If Tszyu wins he is up for a shot at the Super Welter Weight WBO world title.

Paul Gallen v Mark Hunt on the undercard.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Report that Gallen has beaten Hunt in points decision over the 6 round contest.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Tszyu with a 1st round KO of Morgan. Brutal final punch sent Morgan flying.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: December 16, 2020, 8:56 pm Report that Gallen has beaten Hunt in points decision over the 6 round contest.
Watching the highlights you'd swear Hunt won but they don't always tell the true story. Think Hunt ran out of gas after 3 rounds. Waiting for Gallen to fight a legit boxer and not old fat guys. Won't hold my breath
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

First three rounds Gallen looked a bit dicey, but then fitness took over and he never looked like losing.

Neither of them genuinely looked like knocking each other out either, it was the Barry Hall fight all over again, although this time Gallen clearly won.

Also, I hate boxing.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:
RedRaider wrote: December 16, 2020, 8:56 pm Report that Gallen has beaten Hunt in points decision over the 6 round contest.
Watching the highlights you'd swear Hunt won but they don't always tell the true story. Think Hunt ran out of gas after 3 rounds. Waiting for Gallen to fight a legit boxer and not old fat guys. Won't hold my breath
I haven’t seen his bouts, but I’ve been meaning to ask someone more knowledgeable. Is he actually as good as his results say, or is he just fighting chumps?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: December 16, 2020, 9:37 pm Tszyu with a 1st round KO of Morgan. Brutal final punch sent Morgan flying.
114 seconds for Tim Tszyu to qualify for a World Title shot. Possible opponent to be Brazil's Patrick Teixeira the current WBO Super Welter Weight Champion. He has a title defence in February though. Maybe a match against former WBA and IBF title holder Jeison Rosario from the Dominican Republic. He is only 25 and has not fought since losing a unification title fight in September against Jermel Charlo of the USA. Charlo is 30 but I would not look to match Tszyu against him until he has come up against better opponents like Rosario and or Jarrett Hurd.

Good luck to Tim Tszyu though. He appears to be as well prepared as any Australian fighter since his Dad. 2021 could be a big year for him.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
I haven’t seen his bouts, but I’ve been meaning to ask someone more knowledgeable. Is he actually as good as his results say, or is he just fighting chumps?
he throws pillows and relies on fitness, hasn't fought anyone

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
He’s fought chumps up until the last two (Hall took him to a draw). Like Boney said, he relies on fitness, also the fact nobody’s ever going to knock him out
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote: December 17, 2020, 7:02 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
He’s fought chumps up until the last two (Hall took him to a draw). Like Boney said, he relies on fitness, also the fact nobody’s ever going to knock him out
Sounds like he's been watching The Simpsons and adopted Homer's strategy for winning matches
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I said it last night, you're not going to knock Gallen out, he's made a career of running head-first into ***** smashing him around the head.

Hunt was the same, he was just a beefcake, you could've smashed a bottle over his head and he would've just shrugged it off.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I am amazed that Boxing authorities sanctioned this Anthony Mundine fight against Michael Zerafa. Zerafa knocked him out in the first round and I hope there is no more pro boxing from Anthony Mundine. Ever the showman Mundine wore golden coloured gloves. To use one of his well known comments 'he is running on old legs' and for the sake of his future health he should give boxing away for good.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu knocks out Dennis Hogan in Round 5. Hogan has fought World Champ Charlo but Tim Tszyu clearly superior to Hogan. It is now a matter of time before he gets an opportunity at a World Title. I hope he gets a Title shot soon and is not distracted by people without titles offering big money. With Title fights comes big money.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Paul Gallen beats a former World Heavy Weight Champion with a first round knock out. I didn't see that coming and neither did Lucas Brown.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who did Big Daddy beat to win this world title ?

What a bum..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: April 22, 2021, 7:09 pm Who did Big Daddy beat to win this world title ?

What a bum..
Browne beat Ruslan Chagaev for the title in 2016. But he was stripped of the title after failing performance enhancing drug tests. It will be interesting to see who Gallen takes on next. He will likely stay in Australia, but there is more money overseas. I wonder what his long term goal is?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Worth noting that the "world title" he held is not even the highest best attainable within the WBA- he won one of four, yes four, given out by the WBA alone beneath their actual real champion belt. The _real_ WBA world titleholder is called the WBA Super Champion- so he briefly held one of four sub belts beneath the real WBA belt.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:Worth noting that the "world title" he held is not even the highest best attainable within the WBA- he won one of four, yes four, given out by the WBA alone beneath their actual real champion belt. The _real_ WBA world titleholder is called the WBA Super Champion- so he briefly held one of four sub belts beneath the real WBA belt.
Really? How does this actually work? In this org each division has four belts? I can't even imagine how this would work.

I heard Gallen's jibes about 'not bragging about winning a reserve grade rugby league title' but I just assumed it was because WBA wasn't considered the strongest org (I don't know which org is considered the strongest).

Shoving it in your face since 2017