Ricky Stuart joins NRL's newly minted innovations committee

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart joins NRL's newly minted innovations committee

Ricky Stuart and Graham Annesley were worlds apart two months ago. Now they're reportedly sitting together on the NRL's newly minted innovations committee.

ARL commissioner Wayne Pearce will lead the committee, where Stuart will be joined by good mate and Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy, NSW Origin players Damien Cook and Luke Keary, referee Matt Cecchin, NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ricky Stuart has never been afraid to speak his mind. Now he'll get a say on league's rules: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ricky- ... 56iqv.html

Stuart and host of influential league figures will meet to review rule changes: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3a92f2fa4
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ricky Stuart joins NRL's newly minted innovations committee

Post by Botman »

Typical. They'd never put one of us on that kind of board.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They should stop messing with the rules. If they must change things, focus on tossing out unnecessary rule changes. Like the 20/40. Eliminate multiple choice for where scrums are set. If the coaches like the middle of field... make it that! Or reduce complexity. Like with the obstruction rule.

There have been far too many unnecessary rule changes which have been driven by the agenda of one NRL coach or another.

Hopefully the referees address the inconsistency in the application of set restarts before next year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, there have been way too many unnecessary rule changes of late.

The 20/40 is a classic example. It is unlikely to ever be a feature of the game and a team shouldn't be rewarded for being under pressure within their 20 and having to kick their way out of it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Did anyone actually kick a 20/40

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The simple rule changes such as the sideline post and six again have been good. Other complex changes have been poor.

Suggestions:

1. Surely any player who stops play with an injury can’t get back in the play until his team regains possession. Very simple rule change to stop slowing down the game.

2. I’d also like to see a handover instead of a penalty for not playing the ball correctly.

3. Second marker must have one hand on the back of the first marker. This will make refereeing the markers easier.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

On the list: more challenges. Last season showed us that challenges were pretty sucky. Most teams didn't use them well and then they were also definitely used strategically at times to slow a roll down. So Cook wants to double the amount of them.

They also want to have referees challenges...
The referees will get just one discretionary "wildcard" challenge, likely to be used towards the end of the game if there is a contentious call and the teams have no more challenges left.
So the refs will be challenging their own calls, but only at the end to reward teams who have already wasted their challenges and the refs will only get to bestow this reward for dumb play and strategic use of timewasting challenges to ONE team, right at the end of a closely fought game to either overturn a decision or have the effect of breaking momentum... What $%^&ing idiot came up with that idea.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Looking at that committee, there could be some poor decisions coming out of that group easily.

BnM has just rightly torn apart the suggestions on refs challenges.

Next we’re going to end up with teams being able to start a 5 min power play where tries are worth double
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BadnMean wrote:So the refs will be challenging their own calls, but only at the end to reward teams who have already wasted their challenges and the refs will only get to bestow this reward for dumb play and strategic use of timewasting challenges to ONE team, right at the end of a closely fought game to either overturn a decision or have the effect of breaking momentum... What $%^&ing idiot came up with that idea.
Refs have been challenging their own calls since the 2019 GF
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good call Fui.

I’d also like to allow a captain a challenge after all the challenges are used up.

But if he’s wrong he’ll be suspended the following week.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I know the refs have a lot to look after but would it be a big ask to just officiate on the actual rules?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:I know the refs have a lot to look after but would it be a big ask to just officiate on the actual rules?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I have whinged several times on here about this. They should be trying to simplify the rules for referees to minimise the errors and grey areas. Instead we go in the complete opposite direction and make it harder for them and then complain about the standard of refereeing. It's so dumb.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

-TW- wrote: November 28, 2020, 9:54 pm Did anyone actually kick a 20/40

Shows you how many games you watch when I can at least recall Jack kicking one in the Penrith game and Cleary kicking a few. Just like Tyson Frizell having a great game in the first half of SOO3.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:

Shows you how many games you watch when I can at least recall Jack kicking one in the Penrith game and Cleary kicking a few. Just like Tyson Frizell having a great game in the first half of SOO3.
Honkers gone Bonkers.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:

You sure? I don’t remember seeing one.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't recall any 20 / 40s being kicked this year. I remember Milford attempting one but can't remember any other player even attempting one.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 29, 2020, 10:54 am

I think everyone may have missed it. Anyone else remember this?

I've read articles written focussed entirely on the 20/40, written in the weeks after the Penrith match and Jack's was never mentioned- they discussed Milfs attempt and the bloke who actually kicked one in QLD Cup, which was presented as the only succesful attempt (even if Milfs technically should have been allowed).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-22/ ... 20Brothers.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: November 29, 2020, 5:45 am Next we’re going to end up with teams being able to start a 5 min power play where tries are worth double Image
Given our record during Macca's powerplay at Bruce... im intrigued by this. :lol:
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Not a single 20/40 happened.

The previous post was referencing 40/20s
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Didn't DCE kick one for Aus in pre-season? Or he at least attempted one

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The fact that no one knows shows it was zero or near enough to that the rule should go
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 29, 2020, 10:54 am

Well that's embarrassing, also shows you can't read.. I said 20/40, not 40/20.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I would like them to relook at the sin bin. Times, offences etc.

I also like the idea of a HIA replacement (particularly if it's a result of foul play). 18th man should be able to play if a player is ruled out of game with HIA. If you lose a key player in the first 5-10 min of the game to a HIA it's very difficult otherwise.

Another way is if a team loses a player due to foul play, then the offender is lost for the game too. Unfair that you lose a bloke from a headshot whilst the other fella gets put on report. Doesn't help the team who actually suffer from the foul play if he is suspended the next week.

Something along these lines anyway.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

greeneyed wrote: November 28, 2020, 7:21 pm They should stop messing with the rules. If they must change things, focus on tossing out unnecessary rule changes. Like the 20/40. Eliminate multiple choice for where scrums are set. If the coaches like the middle of field... make it that! Or reduce complexity. Like with the obstruction rule.

There have been far too many unnecessary rule changes which have been driven by the agenda of one NRL coach or another.

Hopefully the referees address the inconsistency in the application of set restarts before next year.
Totally agree on all of these points. The 40/20 was a good innovation, the 20/40 just smacks of change for the sake of it. And don't get me started on the restarts and obstructions...
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Also, need consistency on repeat try-line offences. Three in a row and someone should go to the bin...for 20 mins.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Old School Green wrote:I would like them to relook at the sin bin. Times, offences etc.

I also like the idea of a HIA replacement (particularly if it's a result of foul play). 18th man should be able to play if a player is ruled out of game with HIA. If you lose a key player in the first 5-10 min of the game to a HIA it's very difficult otherwise.

Another way is if a team loses a player due to foul play, then the offender is lost for the game too. Unfair that you lose a bloke from a headshot whilst the other fella gets put on report. Doesn't help the team who actually suffer from the foul play if he is suspended the next week.

Something along these lines anyway.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i've long argued for the idea of an 18th man being able to come into the side to replace a player who is ruled out due to concussion
It's just good for the game, it ensures teams arent overly penalised for things beyond their control, and that will mean teams are going to more open to airing on the side of caution.

I think they need to put something concrete around the 6 agains. I think 3 in a row without possession changing hands should be an automatic sin bin. No warnings required, field position and try scoring opportunity doesnt matter, 3 in a row, and you sit. End of story.

Get rid of the 20/40. No one cares, no one gives a ****. And i'd like them to just set something down black and white on obstruction... its too open and inconsistent. It should be as simple as this, if the pass is recieved on the inside of the decoy runner, regardless of impact on defence, it's obstruction. If the pass is recieved on the outside of the decoy runner and the player stops in the line and impedes a defender, regardless of what impact that defender could have, it's no try.

As long as the ball is recieved on the outside of the lead runner and the lead runner doesnt change his line or stop his line to impact a defender, try. Nothing more to consider. Was the ball received on the inside or outside of lead runner, did lead runner stop or change his line that impacted any defender. Easy.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep 18th man for concussion permanent replacement would be a good idea.

I’d like to see less block plays in attack, so I’d like a stricter ruling on interference by the attacking team.
Last edited by BJ on November 30, 2020, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: As long as the ball is recieved on the outside of the lead runner and the lead runner doesnt change his line or stop his line to impact a defender, try. Nothing more to consider. Was the ball received on the inside or outside of lead runner, did lead runner stop or change his line that impacted any defender. Easy.
And that’s what we had for a while there. Then we had all the Channel Nine dingbats whinge because on certain plays they decided the player couldn’t have made it across. Decisions need to be made with an element of football, preferably by ex-players from favoured teams with... I’ll stop before I say anything meaner.... and now we have this **** show again.

*erred
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: November 30, 2020, 8:19 pm
Botman wrote: As long as the ball is recieved on the outside of the lead runner and the lead runner doesnt change his line or stop his line to impact a defender, try. Nothing more to consider. Was the ball received on the inside or outside of lead runner, did lead runner stop or change his line that impacted any defender. Easy.
And that’s what we had for a while there. Then we had all the Channel Nine dingbats whinge because on certain plays they decided the player couldn’t have made it across. Decisions need to be made with an element of football, preferably by ex-players from favoured teams with... I’ll stop before I say anything meaner.... and now we have this **** show again.

*erred
Yep. 1000% correct. It was as simple as it could be and everyone knew what the rules were. It wasnt perfect. Nothing ever is, but it worked. No idea why they changed it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: November 30, 2020, 7:47 pm Yeah i've long argued for the idea of an 18th man being able to come into the side to replace a player who is ruled out due to concussion
It's just good for the game, it ensures teams arent overly penalised for things beyond their control, and that will mean teams are going to more open to airing on the side of caution.

I think they need to put something concrete around the 6 agains. I think 3 in a row without possession changing hands should be an automatic sin bin. No warnings required, field position and try scoring opportunity doesnt matter, 3 in a row, and you sit. End of story.

Get rid of the 20/40. No one cares, no one gives a ****. And i'd like them to just set something down black and white on obstruction... its too open and inconsistent. It should be as simple as this, if the pass is recieved on the inside of the decoy runner, regardless of impact on defence, it's obstruction. If the pass is recieved on the outside of the decoy runner and the player stops in the line and impedes a defender, regardless of what impact that defender could have, it's no try.

As long as the ball is recieved on the outside of the lead runner and the lead runner doesnt change his line or stop his line to impact a defender, try. Nothing more to consider. Was the ball received on the inside or outside of lead runner, did lead runner stop or change his line that impacted any defender. Easy.
The bold bit might make sense if the referees had the slightest idea of what they’re doing. What’s a set restart in one game is not in another. What’s a set restart one minute is not the next. They are so hopelessly inconsistent in awarding them, they should be abandoned entirely in my view. The problem is, there is very little scrutiny of set restarts during games, or afterwards. And very little scrutiny as to why they’re not being given. Which I suspect, is why Annesley and the NRL love them.

Agree on getting rid of the 20/40, 18th man, and simplifying the obstruction rule.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's all very fair re: set restarts
Also, and it reminded me of how much i dont like one aspect of it... i think if they persist with set restarts a team should have the ability to opt out of the restart within a tackle, and take the penalty

A set restart does you no good tie ball game, 2 minutes left in the red zone. You want the penalty and a shot at goal. The set restart helps the defence, not hurts them. Same with set restarts on tackle one when you've pinned them down in the corner.

If i were a coach, i would insist that any time we tackle a player in the corner of their own try line, we're conceding a set restart. I want my team to have the added time to set the line, and i want their set restarts to add up when it doesnt matter, so we'll get them later.
That's a problem

The teams should have the right to say "thanks, but no thanks, we'll take a penalty and kick for touch" if it suits them
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s all good and I agree with most of it, but it won’t happen because most teams will opt for the penalty on most occasions I’d say.

I think if they want to keep six agains but address that fault, they’d have to get cleverer. Maybe it’s +3 tackles instead. That way the penalty is the same regardless of what tackle it is, instead of now where a 0 tackle 6 again is literally useless, right up to a 5th tackle 6 again is huge. My suggestion is a pain in the **** to police and complicates it further though, so needs more thought.