All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by -PJ- »

Well..

Here we go again. The boys will be put thru their paces over the summer months.
Beep tests, skin folds, gym work and plenty of sweat..

Due to Chinavirus and a late Origin schedule I'm not sure when the boys are reuniting but..

It's sure to be the toughest preseason ever.

Go !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Northern Raider »

PJ going off early.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

It won’t be the toughest pre season ever. The short turnaround and the fact origin hasn’t been played yet (not that we will have too many in it) means we are going to have a short preparation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: October 19, 2020, 5:51 pm PJ going off early.
Just getting in before Fui..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bay53 wrote: October 19, 2020, 5:53 pm It won’t be the toughest pre season ever. The short turnaround and the fact origin hasn’t been played yet (not that we will have too many in it) means we are going to have a short preparation.
Short and tough.

Definately the toughest ever, due to what you've said above.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Bay53 wrote: October 19, 2020, 5:53 pm It won’t be the toughest pre season ever. The short turnaround and the fact origin hasn’t been played yet (not that we will have too many in it) means we are going to have a short preparation.
Should be a longer preparation than last season for most when we had a million players start late due to international football.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CBA says players have a 3 month break, thus won't be back till late November, if they even bother at all pre christmas

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by LastRaider »

January I’m hearing for most clubs. Bubble to come back in
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I’d love to see us aim for a top 2 spot this year... it makes a massive difference.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenMachine wrote:I’d love to see us aim for a top 2 spot this year... it makes a massive difference.
I’ll let Ricky know his aim of 5th coming into this season was a bad idea...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dammit! Too slow. Where the Toughest Preseason poem though Peej?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Has a club ever tried... not... having the toughest pre-season ever?

I mean given that all 16 clubs are having the toughest pre-season ever, every year and then 14-15 of these club have seasons which are abject failures and everyone needs to be sacked- that's only a 6.5% success rate for toughest pre-seasons ever.

What if you just had the most moderately challenging preseason ever? The pre season of median difficulty?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

BadnMean wrote:Has a club ever tried... not... having the toughest pre-season ever?

I mean given that all 16 clubs are having the toughest pre-season ever, every year and then 14-15 of these club have seasons which are abject failures and everyone needs to be sacked- that's only a 6.5% success rate for toughest pre-seasons ever.

What if you just had the most moderately challenging preseason ever? The pre season of median difficulty?
Heretic

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote: I mean given that all 16 clubs are having the toughest pre-season ever, every year and then 14-15 of these club have seasons which are abject failures and everyone needs to be sacked- that's only a 6.5% success rate for toughest pre-seasons ever.
The trick is that those 16 clubs are having their own toughest pre-seasons ever. But what clearly matters is who has the toughest pre-season ever out of all the clubs. Then like Highlander, there can be only one.

So on Sunday we find out whether Penrith or Melbourne had the objectively toughest pre-season ever in 19/20 Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: October 21, 2020, 6:54 am
BadnMean wrote: I mean given that all 16 clubs are having the toughest pre-season ever, every year and then 14-15 of these club have seasons which are abject failures and everyone needs to be sacked- that's only a 6.5% success rate for toughest pre-seasons ever.
The trick is that those 16 clubs are having their own toughest pre-seasons ever. But what clearly matters is who has the toughest pre-season ever out of all the clubs. Then like Highlander, there can be only one.

So on Sunday we find out whether Penrith or Melbourne had the objectively toughest pre-season ever in 19/20 Image
So... 2020 was all Curtis Scott's fault?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I dunno, seemed like he made the preseason a bit tougher
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and Sam Williams to visit Crookwell

Players from the Canberra Raiders, including captain Jarrod Croker and Sam Williams, are planning a special visit to Crookwell on Tuesday, 24 November.

A Raiders spokesperson said the visit provides a chance for the rugby league players to visit the town near to where Croker grew up in Goulburn, and where Sam’s wife, Sarah Gilbert, was raised. The aim of the visit is to promote the Raiders’ fitness mentoring program.

Read more: https://aboutregional.com.au/canberra-r ... crookwell/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Does anybody know when we're back into training?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

afgtnk wrote:Does anybody know when we're back into training?
6 weeks since last game would be this Friday coming

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is 7 December. Under 21s already training, started this week. And some of the train and trial players with that group. The players have been doing a lot of sessions, based on their Instagram stories/pics. Hit Republic this morning for Whitehead, Soliola, Havili, Sutton and Smith-Shields.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: November 24, 2020, 8:33 am Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and Sam Williams to visit Crookwell

Players from the Canberra Raiders, including captain Jarrod Croker and Sam Williams, are planning a special visit to Crookwell on Tuesday, 24 November.

A Raiders spokesperson said the visit provides a chance for the rugby league players to visit the town near to where Croker grew up in Goulburn, and where Sam’s wife, Sarah Gilbert, was raised. The aim of the visit is to promote the Raiders’ fitness mentoring program.

Read more: https://aboutregional.com.au/canberra-r ... crookwell/
Croker and Sammy going to Crookwell is normally hardly earth shattering news in normal circumstances but how good is it to hear that the players are getting back out in the community.

May the bubble be forever popped!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders visit Crookwell to inspire with ASPIRE

Representatives of the Canberra Raiders, including players Jarrod Croker and Sam Williams and CEO Don Furner, joined Senator Jim Molan and representatives of the Crookwell Dogs and Crookwell Green Devils on Tuesday 24th November to promote the ASPIRE program in Crookwell.

“I think it’s very important to encourage people to talk about resilience, about taking good care of yourself, physically and mentally, and about watching out for each other,” said Council General Manager, Colleen Worthy.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/11 ... th-aspire/
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The dragons and knights traditionally have the toughest life seasons in the comp. hence they jag a few early and fade every year once they run out of steam.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

2017 Sticky tried the ‘slow’ preseason route to peak in the finals and......

Missed the finals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every NRL club’s breakout star for 2021

RAIDERS - Emre Guler

The 22-year-old forward has been threatening to breakout for the last two seasons, but injury has meant he has only managed 22 games since his debut in 2018.

The Raiders are blessed with experienced props Josh Papalii, Iosia Soliola and Dunamis Lui, but in a long season those old warhorses will need plenty of support and if Guler can stay healthy this could be his year to improve his consistency.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... jnWCGDHYuE
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

George Williams is wearing a moon boot in his recent Instagram post. Anyone know what the injury was?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Toviii wrote: December 1, 2020, 5:31 am George Williams is wearing a moon boot in his recent Instagram post. Anyone know what the injury was?
his foot
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"I'm excited": Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Like the late "Big Kev" from many a television advertorial, Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is excited. The pre-season for the Raiders starts now.

Many of the Green Machine's squad for 2021 gathered at Raiders HQ at Braddon this morning for their first day of preparations for next season.

Only the players who have had less than four seasons in first grade rugby league were required today, with the more senior players given more time off.

The club's Origin representatives - Josh Papalii, Dunamis Lui and Jack Wighton - won't be back until after Christmas.

Stuart sadly had to face questions about Tom Starling's arrest on the weekend, when the coach met the media this morning for a scheduled press conference.

But as soon as talk switched back to the intended topic - pre season training - you could barely wipe the smile off Stuart's face. He was obviously pleased to be back in the saddle.

"It's basically all our rookies and our junior players, guys who have had less than four seasons of pre season training," he explained.

"They'll be very eager and enthusiastic and I think everyone is now quite refreshed after a good break and ready to go again."

"I'm excited. The younger players create an edge for the coaches too. I feel we've got a very good young group of players and I'm looking forward to coaching them and helping them with the early stages of their careers."

"Today, it'll be more about fundamentals and conditioning. Just stripping everything back."

"It's something I learned over many years from the early parts of my coaching, when they come back in, you've got to think they've forgotten everything about the game and start again."

"They'll bounce in this morning and it'll be a good enjoyable day for them. The hard work's about to start."

New Raiders recruit, prop Ryan James is one senior player who was on the training park today. He opted to arrive in Canberra early and has trained with the club's Jersey Flegg squad over the past couple of weeks. He spent 2020 on the sidelines due to an ACL injury. After a decade with the Gold Coast Titans, he's already making an impact in the green.

"He put his hand up and wanted to train with the Under 21s," Stuart said.

"I've heard some stories about Ryan grabbing a couple of [the Raiders Under 21] kids and showing them a certain way to lift, or a certain way to train."

"It's wonderful to have that type of NRL player's experience. Ryan's been in the game for a long time. I know how excited the younger players were to have Ryan around. He's a good person and he'll be a great fit for the club."

Stuart says it will be a short pre season, especially for the more senior players, but it's a welcome problem.

"We're going to have quite a short preparation going into next season, because we went so far into the competition. But that's what you want," he said.

"You want players to learn how to have a short preparation for the next season, because it means you've gone into the play offs."

The club's senior contingent will continue with their own physical training, but Stuart says that giving them a mental break - particularly this year - is critical.

"We give them some work to do whilst they're away. This year will be very important in regards to the mental break as much as the physical break, because of the last season, especially for the senior players."

"The guys who were in the bubble, it was a long, hard year. The mental break will have been so important. If they come back and they have got that bit of energy about them, you'll know they really have had a good break."

"I know the senior boys have been doing a lot of training with their off season programs and that's really important when you have short pre seasons."

"You've got to have been disciplined and done you're work at home, away from the group and the facility. A number of the guys get together and do work and do train together. They're professionals and they don't let themselves go too far."

It was confirmed over the weekend that the Raiders have signed 19 year old, former Manly Sea Eagles back Albert Hopoate.

Hopoate reportedly turned down the chance to join his brother Will at the Bulldogs to line up with the Green Machine.

Albert was not one of those youngsters at Braddon this morning, but Stuart is certainly pleased Hopoate will be on board.

"It's a great opportunity for him," Stuart said.

"I met with him and his father and Tyran Smith, his manager, last week.

"I've coached Will before in Origin and he reminds me of the same personality as Will Hopoate. He's a nice young bloke and had a little bit of bad luck over the last couple of seasons with ACL, with two knee injuries."

"You just want to hope he gets a little bit of good luck with his leg and gets to play a little bit of football and and gets some longevity into his season."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart: The hard work is about to start: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... -to-start/

GALLERY: Pre season training: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... on-begins/

Ricky Stuart's Canberra Raiders kick off NRL pre-season: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Stuart already seeing benefits of James' leadership: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/07/stu ... eadership/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Good to see MEnnis at preseason.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Horsebrah and Emre look like they've put on a bit. James definitely looking very fit
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

afgtnk wrote: December 7, 2020, 4:36 pm Horsebrah and Emre look like they've put on a bit. James definitely looking very fit
Looking at those photos the whole group looks fit.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Some great photos there, Bailey looks sorta different, but looks strong and fit, Semi looks bigger, natural growth, he will be a weapon this year im sure, Emre looks a monster.

Good to see Ryan James looking trim, im excited to see how he goes, he will be a gun for us.

Im excited !!!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Johno wrote:Some great photos there, Bailey looks sorta different, but looks strong and fit, Semi looks bigger, natural growth, he will be a weapon this year im sure, Emre looks a monster.

Good to see Ryan James looking trim, im excited to see how he goes, he will be a gun for us.

Im excited !!!!
it's weird how different semi looks in training attire to game day considering it's only been 6 weeks.
Emre and Horse fair enough they've not played for many months

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep correct call guys. Emre and Hors certainly not as cut as the others. But leg injuries probably limit some activities.

Simo and HSS look very fit on the other hand.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Bear in mind most props carry a bit of extra for some padding and some weight in the collision- Sia and Tamou are more the exceptions. Considering it's pre xmas, those two (Emre and Hors) aren't far off a props playing weight really. A month way from being at playing weight maybe.

Pleasing to see Seb Kris front and centre of a lot of the pictures and looking very much like he's ready to play.

The other interesting one was Xavier Savage- he was a wiry thin 17 year old sprinter last time I saw him pictured. Looking like he's grown into a footy player too.

There's some wide open spots in the backline and even guys like Wood and Savage can easily come into the frame when you consider Rapana is likely to miss the odd week here and there these days with injury.