Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: What has made/ruined your day

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote: November 20, 2020, 6:47 am Made: had a dream with TR in it. Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
And I get accused of over sharing :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Captain Punish wrote:
gergreg wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Lucy didn’t last long. As usual.
I bet his wife says something similar.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
She doesn't need to speak. The look of relief that it's over says it all.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Haha. My wife can't distinguish between when it's begun and when it's finished, so you're one up on me.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

T_R wrote:For your interest, I’ve decided to review my bus trip today.

Travelling in Japan, one of course expects to encounter a strictly traditionalist public transportation construct. But this was not to be, or at least it was not to be presented as such. Kobe Mass Transit indulges in an ironic play upon the concept of transport as performance art, sacrificing form for a brutalist post modern display of, dare I suggest, ruthless efficiency. Thus, there were no cheery conductors , no garbled cockney cries nor discarded ticket stubs to lend a historical authenticity to the journey. Indeed, there was little hustle and virtually no bustle.

The ‘bus stop’ construct was efficient (‘Damned!’, I hear you cry, ‘With the faintest of praises’). I will not be claimed a picayune, I am sure, to say that I found the experience lacking a certain style. The bus ran to schedule. It was clean. The driver greeted with a cheery “Konnichiwa”. This note of unreality lent itself to distraction. Is it possible to allow oneself for immersion in an experience where the form has sacrificed so much to the function?

The ride had a certain intentional boredom to it, a Warholesque fatigue that did nothing initially but highlight the pleasures of the journey. This was in stark contrast to the almost hyperbolic view from the windows. Was this truly a Japanese streetscape, or merely a pandering to my perceptions of such? Whatever the case, the chaos of the outside world sat uncomfortably with the minimalism within, and the fatigue segued into boredom and thus became longing. Was this a comment on aging, indeed of life itself? Was the stage being crassly set for an all too obvious final ‘birthing’? Perhaps I credit Kobe Mass Transit with too much, but the metaphor was stark. Was it overplayed?

Eventually, the arrival was short, too choreographed, even too lacking in trauma in its movements to suggest the obvious birth metaphor. But there was a latent humanism in the shuffle to the door. ‘Nay’ it cried ‘tarry not! Move! Push!’, but it left so little time, so little emotional space to reflect upon the grotesque environmental sculpture to which we were disgorged (even birthed?), that one was left unfulfilled, left holding out for more.

The answer (so blatant in its presentation, was this a Thibaultian deliberate insult, a passing moment of ugly rhetoric to leave one demanding more?) was simple. Ride again. Return to whence you came.

And thus I did, transported physically yet left emotionally unmoved. Did I ask too much?
I took a bus today, but was not motivated to review the experience.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:
T_R wrote:For your interest, I’ve decided to review my bus trip today.

Travelling in Japan, one of course expects to encounter a strictly traditionalist public transportation construct. But this was not to be, or at least it was not to be presented as such. Kobe Mass Transit indulges in an ironic play upon the concept of transport as performance art, sacrificing form for a brutalist post modern display of, dare I suggest, ruthless efficiency. Thus, there were no cheery conductors , no garbled cockney cries nor discarded ticket stubs to lend a historical authenticity to the journey. Indeed, there was little hustle and virtually no bustle.

The ‘bus stop’ construct was efficient (‘Damned!’, I hear you cry, ‘With the faintest of praises’). I will not be claimed a picayune, I am sure, to say that I found the experience lacking a certain style. The bus ran to schedule. It was clean. The driver greeted with a cheery “Konnichiwa”. This note of unreality lent itself to distraction. Is it possible to allow oneself for immersion in an experience where the form has sacrificed so much to the function?

The ride had a certain intentional boredom to it, a Warholesque fatigue that did nothing initially but highlight the pleasures of the journey. This was in stark contrast to the almost hyperbolic view from the windows. Was this truly a Japanese streetscape, or merely a pandering to my perceptions of such? Whatever the case, the chaos of the outside world sat uncomfortably with the minimalism within, and the fatigue segued into boredom and thus became longing. Was this a comment on aging, indeed of life itself? Was the stage being crassly set for an all too obvious final ‘birthing’? Perhaps I credit Kobe Mass Transit with too much, but the metaphor was stark. Was it overplayed?

Eventually, the arrival was short, too choreographed, even too lacking in trauma in its movements to suggest the obvious birth metaphor. But there was a latent humanism in the shuffle to the door. ‘Nay’ it cried ‘tarry not! Move! Push!’, but it left so little time, so little emotional space to reflect upon the grotesque environmental sculpture to which we were disgorged (even birthed?), that one was left unfulfilled, left holding out for more.

The answer (so blatant in its presentation, was this a Thibaultian deliberate insult, a passing moment of ugly rhetoric to leave one demanding more?) was simple. Ride again. Return to whence you came.

And thus I did, transported physically yet left emotionally unmoved. Did I ask too much?
I took a bus today, but was not motivated to review the experience.

Bus wanker.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I went to catch a bus at my local Tuggeranong bus stop and I’m still waiting for the bus to arrive 18 months later.

Has anything important happened in the world since then?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahahaha... Tuggeranong
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:Hahahahahaha... Tuggeranong
Tuggeranong. It’s nice is some pockets.

Certainly it’s less Cargo pants style large multiple pockets and more that tiny little useless square pocket you have near your right jeans pocket.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

What's a pocket? I only wear spandex.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Lucy wrote:What's a pocket? I only wear spandex.

Welcome to beyond the Hyperdome!
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Reading an article about what foreigners think of Australia, the section on wildlife is a predictable laugh.

Foreigners like to comment on how deadly our wildlife is, but frankly I'd generally take ours over theirs. As deadly as ours can be, respect the animal and it should leave you alone - we don't have any large land-based predators. If you go wandering off the beaten path in North America there's a bunch of stuff in the woods that'll happily kill and eat you.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sterlk wrote:Reading an article about what foreigners think of Australia, the section on wildlife is a predictable laugh.

Foreigners like to comment on how deadly our wildlife is, but frankly I'd generally take ours over theirs. As deadly as ours can be, respect the animal and it should leave you alone - we don't have any large land-based predators. If you go wandering off the beaten path in North America there's a bunch of stuff in the woods that'll happily kill and eat you.
Spot on. I went hiking in Japan and had to carry a bell to warn the bears I was coming. I nearly stepped on a snack two days ago while running in the bush, but I always carry a snake bandage and if bitten will almost certainly survive. And snakes are only around for half the year.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Was a common theme in the US. But those brown bears are freaking massive. I'd sooner stumble upon a snake than a bear.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah give me Sharks over Bears any day. Heard a story once where a Bear knocked a cyclist off his bike. The cyclist panicked and legged it. Later that night, he went back to retrieve the bike, and the Bear was waiting and attacked him.

It’s a no from me
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This is a made my day. I really haven't told any friends about this... covid so I feel a bit **** sharing good job news with some folks, but after reading some of 1992's posts I've realised that none of us on here can be sure we are folks and by extension human so it feels like an ok spot to share.

6 months ago the company I work for was acquired. Since then I've gone from "oh **** I'm going to be jobless", to yesterday where I've officially passed through 2 promotions and a 60% pay increase. I'm **** my pants at the implied increase in responsibility, and it's been pretty... I don't know... crazy I guess is the right word, to go from a company of 15 that I've been working at for 16 years to another at 900+ employees that competes in their user space with Microsoft. There's A LOT of imposter syndrome going on.

I've been working my **** off for well over a decade. I've worked public holidays, I've worked 22 hour shifts, I've worked while on holiday in other locations. I've had breakdowns. Ya boy just got PAID.

After all that self flagellation, the best thing thing to come out of it is all the peeps that came across from the owner to the 1 finance employee to the 2 support staff have all received raises and teams to look after. Or in some cases just straight up raises. I've known most of these guys for 10 or so years so it's beyond great to see them all doing well.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

What has made/ruined your day

Well done Zim, that’s a huge achievement!

As a fellow sufferer of imposter syndrome, try not to let it beat you. I saw a good quote recently.

You’re telling yourself you’re not cut out for it, and you’re doubting yourself, yet your seniors are heaping praise on you. If your doubting yourself, why believe what you’re thinking about yourself? It’s an oxymoron.

I’ve butchered the quote, but I hope you get it. Listen to the feedback from others.
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on January 22, 2022, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Thanks for that fui. I'll be coming back to that to reaffirm that I am on the right track.

I am my own worst enemy 😂
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I’m the same Zim. I’ve been making a proper effort over the last 18 months to get on top of it, or really not let work affect me like it does.

Found the quote, I wasn’t too far off. Adam Grant and Mark Manson are my go-to’s on Insta and LinkedIn for work reassurances. Recommend following them.

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well done Zim. Really makes those years of feeling like you're getting nowhere worth it. I received a promotion a year and a half back and I thought I'd never get it.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

zim wrote:This is a made my day. I really haven't told any friends about this... covid so I feel a bit **** sharing good job news with some folks, but after reading some of 1992's posts I've realised that none of us on here can be sure we are folks and by extension human so it feels like an ok spot to share.

6 months ago the company I work for was acquired. Since then I've gone from "oh **** I'm going to be jobless", to yesterday where I've officially passed through 2 promotions and a 60% pay increase. I'm **** my pants at the implied increase in responsibility, and it's been pretty... I don't know... crazy I guess is the right word, to go from a company of 15 that I've been working at for 16 years to another at 900+ employees that competes in their user space with Microsoft. There's A LOT of imposter syndrome going on.

I've been working my **** off for well over a decade. I've worked public holidays, I've worked 22 hour shifts, I've worked while on holiday in other locations. I've had breakdowns. Ya boy just got PAID.

After all that self flagellation, the best thing thing to come out of it is all the peeps that came across from the owner to the 1 finance employee to the 2 support staff have all received raises and teams to look after. Or in some cases just straight up raises. I've known most of these guys for 10 or so years so it's beyond great to see them all doing well.
Well done mate!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Well done Zim, I start a new job Monday after being head-hunted which has me doubting myself a bit, it's flattering and a big ego inflating but also imposter syndrome triggering

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 22, 2022, 11:17 am I’m the same Zim. I’ve been making a proper effort over the last 18 months to get on top of it, or really not let work affect me like it does.

Found the quote, I wasn’t too far off. Adam Grant and Mark Manson are my go-to’s on Insta and LinkedIn for work reassurances. Recommend following them.

That's a great resource thanks mate.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: January 22, 2022, 12:26 pm Well done Zim. Really makes those years of feeling like you're getting nowhere worth it. I received a promotion a year and a half back and I thought I'd never get it.
Thanks! :) That's fantastic mate.
There was quite a lot of soul searching going on there. Like you said though sometimes it can just all come together.
Last edited by zim on January 23, 2022, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: January 22, 2022, 7:29 pm Well done Zim, I start a new job Monday after being head-hunted which has me doubting myself a bit, it's flattering and a big ego inflating but also imposter syndrome triggering.
I'd check out the stuff Fui posted. Some good stuff in there. Congratulations on being hunted mate. That would be a huge ego boost. You must be on cloud 9! Good luck on Monday.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Congrats Boner, really happy for you mate.
I know it probably doesn’t help you guys, but these posts have given me reassurance that I’m not the only one.

I’ve been in a similar situation. I’m 3 months into a 12 month secondment for a higher role. I was getting moments of stress that I wasn’t picking the role up quickly, and I was going to go back to my old role. Then when I thought about it, I remembered how much I actually loved my old role, so this is a free swing.

I’ve taken Adams advice to focus on my leaders feedback, and not my own.

Nickman's love of NSW
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Well done Zim, great work and something I can relate to.

I went from essentially jobkeeper for 18 months and having to work 2nd and 3rd jobs, to being chased by my dream company and offered a job. But not the ‘same’ job as I had, but a director role. I also suffer from imposter syndrome quite badly.., it was a rough few months but after a while I have come to a point wheee I am much better able to accept I am where I am for a reason. Decision makers identified me as being suited to this role, and they knew the role better than I did, so why should I doubt them?

But strangely, I think keeping a bit of doubt/imposter syndrome around is handy.. I feel like it keeps me striving. I’ve found during my life when I am comfortable in a role
I become complacent, when I am uncomfortable I am striving to prove a point. I know which one helps me grow.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

What has made/ruined your day

That’s true also Coastal. There’s an element of “It’s ok to worry, it just means you care about what you’re doing.”

I guess it’s finding that balance, and not letting it take over.

Also congrats to you as well!

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Good stuff Coastal
It's funny but a little arrogance goes a long way, I think that's my balance. I probably almost accepted my offer off the back of a colleague i was running rings around saying to me "oh you're actually really clever" in an almost surprised manner, if I'm underestimated and underappreciated I'll go where I'm wanted.
Like Coastal, I'm going to a company I've always admired and wanted to work for.

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote: January 23, 2022, 6:22 am Well done Zim, great work and something I can relate to.

I went from essentially jobkeeper for 18 months and having to work 2nd and 3rd jobs, to being chased by my dream company and offered a job. But not the ‘same’ job as I had, but a director role. I also suffer from imposter syndrome quite badly.., it was a rough few months but after a while I have come to a point wheee I am much better able to accept I am where I am for a reason. Decision makers identified me as being suited to this role, and they knew the role better than I did, so why should I doubt them?

But strangely, I think keeping a bit of doubt/imposter syndrome around is handy.. I feel like it keeps me striving. I’ve found during my life when I am comfortable in a role
I become complacent, when I am uncomfortable I am striving to prove a point. I know which one helps me grow.
That's incredible mate. What a rollercoaster!
Yeah having a small amount is how it's supposed to work when it's healthy, and I agree it's an important part of self improvement.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Real estate agent.

A real estate agent is ruining my week.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:Real estate agent.

I find that hard to believe.

I put Real Estate Agents up with Used Car Salesmen, Politicians and Isis Terrorists as some of the nicest people on this planet and most unlikely to ruin your week.

Apologies to Isis members for lumping you in with Politicians.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

BJ wrote:
dubby wrote:Real estate agent.

I find that hard to believe.

I put Real Estate Agents up with Used Car Salesmen, Politicians and Isis Terrorists as some of the nicest people on this planet and most unlikely to ruin your week.

Apologies to Isis members for lumping you in with Politicians.
ImageImage

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.