Pack for 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Pack for 2021

Post by BadnMean »

It's started to come up in the review threads so let's get them down on paper here. Forward pack and bench only (let's leave the winger/centre issues aside).

8. Papalli- first picked.

9. Hodgo- at his best he's the best in the business (Smith retired yet?) so here he is.

10. Tapine- I have him at prop where he excelled last year. I think he finally found his groove and don't want to shift him. He's a nice point of difference from Papa and it allows Young at lock which really makes us mobile and dangerous.

11. CHN- not really too fussed which side he plays on but I'll say right edge to run hard off GWilly who needs a hole hitting backrower to show off his short passing game (which we haven't seen in full yet). Bit of size next to GWilly won't hurt defensively.

12. Whitehead- shown the ability to play either side but I like the run around plays he's developed with Jack on the left. It was very effective and Elliot has the vision and hands to know when that ball goes to Jack and when to switch it up and go straight across to Croker. Defends well everywhere he goes.

13. Young- he absolutely excelled there at the back end of last year. Very well suited to the new rules and the trend to mobile locks. Has the pace to do a bit of damage if he breaks the line running wider and hits holes. I like that from our lock vs Tapine who stops and starts and palms a bit more.

14. Starling- gives us another gear to go to if we've ground a team down by bashing their middle as Hodgo likes to do. Hodgo may not be an 80 minute option first up and may well benefit from a little spell here and there. So I've gone Starling over Havilii. Longer term and point of difference.

15. Guler- big and good. Just keeps showing a bit more each week and has looked right at home in FG, then in FG against good teams, then in finals footy and just produced even better to each challenge. That's promising.

16. Lui- deserves first crack next season. Raised his aggression levels and output just ever so slightly last season. Added the strip to his game (which used to drive me nuts :roflmao ) which is a useful little string to his bow. Gone from fringe player to leader.

17. Horsburg- this is a bit of a punt. I feel he's at a bit of a crossroads point in his career. If he uses his time out and comes back a fit fitter and stronger, with some improved mental skills like Young has shown then he really could be making an origin push next season. Or if he comes back a bit flabby and that foot slows him down or he can't get that temper in check then he might find himself down the list. I like him as he can do lock or prop. He has an offload- which our team needs to compete vs the best. He's also going to take on the challenge of other teams packs head to head- at times if other teams target Papa, I want another fighter in there.

Didn't make it.

Sutton- could easily take the Hors spot. Arguably Hors makes more of an impact from the bench (although Sutton improved on that last season). Arguably makes less errors with the ball and in defence than Hors. So I could see either getting the nod. Both can handle lock or prop.

Sia- hard to imagine Ricky actually leaving him out. Not that I think Sia would have an ego about it or do a single thing different, but surely they signed him again to play? Anyway I don't see him offering the yards or quite the sting next season as some of the younger players.

James- we won't know what we've signed really until we see him play. Be great if we had a reggies to bring him back through. Would challenge Guler, Hors if fit and firing.

Havilii- I don't see him making the 17 unless Hodgo is out. Starling provides an ex factor option. Havilii is a more safe/versatile bet which might be useful early season in warm weather if you need minutes from that 4th forward though.
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Pack for 2021

Post by BJ »

Yep must have Starling on the bench.

I feel we may release a forward over the break who’s off contract for 2022, if the right kind of player swap can be made.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

No room for Guler??
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Ilanraiders wrote: November 18, 2020, 2:57 pm No room for Guler??
Sorry just seen him in there😂😂
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

Some really tough choices to be made. Whoever misses out can legitimately feel aggrieved. Big off season coming up.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ilanraiders wrote: November 18, 2020, 2:59 pm
Ilanraiders wrote: November 18, 2020, 2:57 pm No room for Guler??
Sorry just seen him in there😂😂
Yeah he's in there. I rate him. I still spent 5 minutes before I posted the thing sure I must have left someone out though...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I’d go with Papalii, Hodgson, Guler, Whitehead, CHN, Tapine
With Starling, Hors, Sutton and Young on the bench

I think Stuart will start the season with Papalii, Hodgson, Lui, Whitehead, CHN, Tapine
With Havili, Guler/Hors, Sia and Young on the bench

Wouldn’t totally stun me if James is in the team and Guler, Hors and Sutton are not in the top team, which I think would be mistake short and long term
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

big spotlight on Hodgson next season. There's a very good chance Starling overtakes him as the number one hooker and I think he will.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

gut feeling is that Ricky will pick one of Sia or James every week
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Man we've got some serious depth in the middle. At full strength there will be a few quality forwards that miss out.

On the flip side we have almost no depth on the edge. We'll need to shift one of those middles over as cover for injury.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 18, 2020, 4:12 pm I’d go with Papalii, Hodgson, Guler, Whitehead, CHN, Tapine
With Starling, Hors, Sutton and Young on the bench

I think Stuart will start the season with Papalii, Hodgson, Lui, Whitehead, CHN, Tapine
With Havili, Guler/Hors, Sia and Young on the bench

Wouldn’t totally stun me if James is in the team and Guler, Hors and Sutton are not in the top team, which I think would be mistake short and long term
I like what u r putting down
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: November 18, 2020, 1:33 pm It's started to come up in the review threads so let's get them down on paper here. Forward pack and bench only (let's leave the winger/centre issues aside).

8. Papalli- first picked.

9. Hodgo- at his best he's the best in the business (Smith retired yet?) so here he is.

10. Tapine- I have him at prop where he excelled last year. I think he finally found his groove and don't want to shift him. He's a nice point of difference from Papa and it allows Young at lock which really makes us mobile and dangerous.

11. CHN- not really too fussed which side he plays on but I'll say right edge to run hard off GWilly who needs a hole hitting backrower to show off his short passing game (which we haven't seen in full yet). Bit of size next to GWilly won't hurt defensively.

12. Whitehead- shown the ability to play either side but I like the run around plays he's developed with Jack on the left. It was very effective and Elliot has the vision and hands to know when that ball goes to Jack and when to switch it up and go straight across to Croker. Defends well everywhere he goes.

13. Young- he absolutely excelled there at the back end of last year. Very well suited to the new rules and the trend to mobile locks. Has the pace to do a bit of damage if he breaks the line running wider and hits holes. I like that from our lock vs Tapine who stops and starts and palms a bit more.

14. Starling- gives us another gear to go to if we've ground a team down by bashing their middle as Hodgo likes to do. Hodgo may not be an 80 minute option first up and may well benefit from a little spell here and there. So I've gone Starling over Havilii. Longer term and point of difference.

15. Guler- big and good. Just keeps showing a bit more each week and has looked right at home in FG, then in FG against good teams, then in finals footy and just produced even better to each challenge. That's promising.

16. Lui- deserves first crack next season. Raised his aggression levels and output just ever so slightly last season. Added the strip to his game (which used to drive me nuts :roflmao ) which is a useful little string to his bow. Gone from fringe player to leader.

17. Horsburg- this is a bit of a punt. I feel he's at a bit of a crossroads point in his career. If he uses his time out and comes back a fit fitter and stronger, with some improved mental skills like Young has shown then he really could be making an origin push next season. Or if he comes back a bit flabby and that foot slows him down or he can't get that temper in check then he might find himself down the list. I like him as he can do lock or prop. He has an offload- which our team needs to compete vs the best. He's also going to take on the challenge of other teams packs head to head- at times if other teams target Papa, I want another fighter in there.

Didn't make it.

Sutton- could easily take the Hors spot. Arguably Hors makes more of an impact from the bench (although Sutton improved on that last season). Arguably makes less errors with the ball and in defence than Hors. So I could see either getting the nod. Both can handle lock or prop.

Sia- hard to imagine Ricky actually leaving him out. Not that I think Sia would have an ego about it or do a single thing different, but surely they signed him again to play? Anyway I don't see him offering the yards or quite the sting next season as some of the younger players.

James- we won't know what we've signed really until we see him play. Be great if we had a reggies to bring him back through. Would challenge Guler, Hors if fit and firing.

Havilii- I don't see him making the 17 unless Hodgo is out. Starling provides an ex factor option. Havilii is a more safe/versatile bet which might be useful early season in warm weather if you need minutes from that 4th forward though.
Pretty much nailed it in one post.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

James is the wildcard. If he's healthy he's one of the best in the game. Been a while since we've seen it though. If he's back to his best then he's a fixture in the top team. Paps, Taps and James is an impressive starting 3.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

I think next season we might see a lot of rotation week to week happening with the quality and depth of our forward pack.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

Interchange

14. Havili
15. Smith-Shields
16. Sutton
17. Young

I don't think you can get away with not having an outside back on the bench anymore, or at least a guy in your starting pack being capable of slotting in there comfortably, ala Bateman.

IMO Havili's utility value is immense and provides the side with a far better balance, given his ability to play in any of the three middle spots. We should be banking on Hodgson to return to his old self, and should he do so, giving Starling a run will be a waste of a spot that cannot be afforded. An in form Josh Hodgson isn't a guy you want going off.

Young takes a spot on his form and ability to cover second row, and Sutton plays due to being the next best metre eater after the starters - crucial to keep up the tempo anytime Papa and/or Taps go off.

The big unknown is James. At his best or anywhere near it, he commands a spot in that top 17. It's just unfortunate that we've effectively added three middles (him, Young, Rushton) for the loss of none, and we're not sure if we're going to have the same amount of injuries that we did this season. It really was a bit of an anomaly if you look back at seasons prior.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-GD- wrote: November 19, 2020, 9:55 am I think next season we might see a lot of rotation week to week happening with the quality and depth of our forward pack.
Hmmm if we don't get a NSW cup affiliation up and running then rotation really might be the best option to get games and a good look at everyone. Then settle on a top side into the stretch home (potential last round rest/rotation too).
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Can't see Ricky not playing James after paying 400k a year for him. If he stinks it up early then for sure drop him, but i'd say he will be starting next year with Papa.

8. Papa
9.Hodgo
10.James
11.CHN
12.Whitehead
13.Taps
14.Starling
15.Horse
16.Guler
17. Sutton

Reserves
18.Havili
19.Liu
20.Young
21.Sia
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I like the idea of James in the front row, but no way Young doesnt make the team, nor Liu.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

SeeBee101 wrote: November 19, 2020, 2:00 pm Can't see Ricky not playing James after paying 400k a year for him. If he stinks it up early then for sure drop him, but i'd say he will be starting next year with Papa.

8. Papa
9.Hodgo
10.James
11.CHN
12.Whitehead
13.Taps
14.Starling
15.Horse
16.Guler
17. Sutton

Reserves
18.Havili
19.Liu
20.Young
21.Sia
Its not 400k a yr. Thats for 2yrs
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think we will see a lot of rotation in our middle forwards next year just like we saw this season. It's a good strategy for the type of game Stuart likes to play which is basically bash them up the middle until they're tired. It allows him to maximise the output of our forwards each game without draining them by giving them a week off after a stint. All of the guys listed will feature prominently throughout the 2021 season barring poor form or injury imo.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

James and Papa starters for sure imo

Lui Sia off the bench.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

Matt wrote: November 19, 2020, 2:51 pm
SeeBee101 wrote: November 19, 2020, 2:00 pm Can't see Ricky not playing James after paying 400k a year for him. If he stinks it up early then for sure drop him, but i'd say he will be starting next year with Papa.

8. Papa
9.Hodgo
10.James
11.CHN
12.Whitehead
13.Taps
14.Starling
15.Horse
16.Guler
17. Sutton

Reserves
18.Havili
19.Liu
20.Young
21.Sia
it's reported as $400k per season for two seasons. Not sure whether the titans are chipping anything in
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: November 19, 2020, 2:51 pm

8. Papa
9.Hodgo
10.James
11.CHN
12.Whitehead
13.Taps
14.Starling
15.Horse
16.Guler
17. Sutton

Reserves
18.Havili
19.Liu
20.Young
21.Sia
No I’m pretty confident it’s 400k a year which is still a good deal for a player of that caliber.

He was in 600k a year at the Titans and the talk was he ‘nearly halved’ his wage to sign with us.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.nrl ... iders/amp/
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Whitehead
13. Young

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Horsburgh
17. James/Soliola/Lui (Ricky's choice)
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

afgtnk wrote: November 19, 2020, 10:02 am
I don't think you can get away with not having an outside back on the bench anymore, or at least a guy in your starting pack being capable of slotting in there comfortably, ala Bateman.
After last night that should be pretty obvious to all and sundry... and Brad Fittler
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Lui_Bon wrote: November 19, 2020, 10:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: November 19, 2020, 10:02 am
After last night that should be pretty obvious to all and sundry... and Brad Fittler
Ricky certainly played with a back on the bench for parts of 2020. I wonder if Young or CHN could handle centre in a pinch? Tapine would be a menace out there but I've no idea who's quickest of those 3.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

If James is fully fit, he's in the team. He's a quality player.

Who misses out?

Hard to say at this stage. Let's see how the off season goes.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.