V’landys pushes for rule change to allow Smith to be named an Immortal next year

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

V’landys pushes for rule change to allow Smith to be named an Immortal next year

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter and Facebook

DISCUSSION POINT: Should the @NRL abandon the five year waiting period after retirement before players can be named an immortal? What do you think, Canberra Raiders fans? #NRL #WeAreRaiders

Smith could be named an Immortal next year as V’landys pushes for rule change: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d85ada0c6a
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: V’landys pushes for rule change to allow Smith to be named an Immortal next year

Post by greeneyed »

The five year rule is in place for a very good reason. It’s to take the emotion of a retirement out of the equation. Peter V’Landys really has to stop shooting from the hip all the time. If the Sydney journalist had had their way, Danny Buderus would have been an immortal when he retired. That’s why there’s a five year rule!
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: V’landys pushes for rule change to allow Smith to be named an Immortal next year

Post by BJ »

There’s no rush for declaring someone an Immortal. It’s probably better for the player themselves if it’s declared when they are more disconnected from their playing career.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The real question is, what needs to be done to get Barb a diamond necklace?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Why change it? Why does Cam need to be rushed through? As if he isn't unpopular enough with all the perceived special treatment, this actual documented special treatment would just make it the least popular immortal ever.

A career is supposed to be allowed to soak in. Big Mal waited over a decade and it felt about time and right when he was added. There simply hasn't been another centre that good. His career stood up. No one was the poorer for waiting.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I don’t see the need to get rid of the rule and fast-track Cam. He’ll most likely get in there sooner than later. Why the need to rush it?

Calling conspiracy: V’Landys is actually a closet Tim Grant fan, and wants to Immortalise him. He’s using Cam as a front to get the rule rubbed
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I can understand the reasoning. Just don't think a rule change really achieves anything.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Cam Smith should already be an immortal

Should’ve happened years ago
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: November 16, 2020, 9:11 pm Cam Smith should already be an immortal

Should’ve happened years ago
:roflmao :clap:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I was impressed with his 2003 debut game.

He should have been made into bronze that day..AT LEAST !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:I was impressed with his 2003 debut game.

And captured by Lord Vader?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Cam Smith is going to be an immortal, waiting 5 years is fine.
As rightly pointed out, it ensures we dont end up with manufactured immortals like Danny Buderus
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:

That’s carbonite, you idiot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Look at this guy bragging about his carbonite figurine set, while I'm left with my crappy bronze set.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Look at this guy bragging about his carbonite figurine set, while I'm left with my crappy bronze set.

You’re one of those cheap low-grade bounty hunters, unlike Boba, Mando and myself
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: November 28, 2020, 12:41 pm
gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote:

You’re one of those cheap low-grade bounty hunters, unlike Boba, Mando and myself
Nothing low grade about the Mandalorian. Spoiler alert, the child has a name. Enjoying the second series even if it is like a Western set in space. Good guy comes to town, there is a problem, good guy with the aid of some locals, fixes the problem. Rinse and repeat.

V'landys must have been to some early Xmas parties. This past week he has said a Grand Final should be played in Brisbane to reduce the attending crowd by 25,000 and now the Smith musing. What does Smith have on V'landys? Imo the next immortal should be Darren Lockyer. He earned it as both a fullback and 5/8 for his Club, State and Country and has waited the time required by the rules.

Smith will get his chance - when the time is right.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

depending on what you need to be an immortal, lockyer didnt really turn the dial enough for me.

He was a great player, but imo other players had a far bigger impact on their club.
Benji Marshall - The tigers would be tragic through out their whole existence without him but he carried them to a premiership and to contention in other years.
Jonathon Thurston - Same could be said as Benji - also had a longer period of origin dominance.

Looking further back
Ricky Stuart / Mal Meninga all you have to do is look at 93 to see the impact of sticky.

For me the broncos won a dodgy premiership in 2006 (or whenever there dodgy one was where the ref was their best player and they got beaten in the first round of the finals by an opponent I think outside the top 4, they were also getting smashed in one of the semis they scraped home in).

They won a double earlier in lockyers career but he was hardly a central part of them, part of them yes but not the centre piece. Honestly lockyer whilst a great player, I would have slater in my side ahead of him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Has the bastard even announced his retirement yet?

Stop keeping us all in suspense Cameron. It's killing us...

Arrogant douchebag.