2020 in review - Dunamis Lui

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the fifteenth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling and Siliva Havili.

Dunamis Lui made 20 appearances for the Raiders in 2020, 15 at starting prop and five off the bench. He was dropped from the top 17 after the Round 5 loss to the Tigers, but was brought back for the Round 9 clash with the Storm - with Sia Soliola, Emre Guler and Corey Horsburgh all on the sidelines with serious injuries. To be frank, before he was dropped he was not playing well - and had simply been overtaken in the pecking order by some of the younger props. He returned a different player. During the injury crisis, not only did Lui lift his on field contributions, the reserved prop became one of the leaders of the pack off the field. At the end of the season, he was ultimately rewarded with selection in the Queensland Maroons squad and an Origin debut.

Lui scored one try in 2019, after a drought that had lasted since 2014. He doubled his try scoring feats this year, crossing twice. His average running metres rose from 74 to 86 per game (ranked fifth amongst the Raiders forwards), while his average metres per carry were roughly the same (eight, ranked tenth amongst the Raiders forwards). He ranked ninth amongst the Canberra forwards for tackle breaks (10).

Lui's tackle efficiency rate was the same as last season (90 per cent), though his missed tackle count per match fell slightly (1.4). He ranked 11th amongst the Raiders forwards for average tackles per game and third for total missed tackles. His try causes fell from six in 2019 to three in 2020. He was equal second amongst the Raiders forwards for try causes - alongside Corey Harawira-Naera - but well behind Elliott Whitehead (10). He also ranked equal first for line break causes (6), with Joe Tapine and Elliott Whitehead. That's still a low number. His error count ranked equal fourth, but also fell in 2020.

We don't have statistics for one on one steals, but Lui became quite expert at the play in 2020 - after being less than successful in executing the ploy last year. He produced a couple of crucial strips in the Round 10 Grand Final re-match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. For mine, that was his best match of the year.

I rated him 6.1/10 through the season, with his overall rating below reflecting his overall contribution to the season. I rated him a "7" in six games - four of them in the month after his return from being dropped. His top tackle count in a match (38) came in the Round 9 loss to the Storm in Canberra. His highest tally for running metres (156) was posted in the Round 20 win for the "Rookie Raiders" against the Sharks. He broke the 100 metres gained mark in eight matches. He took "man of the match" honours in Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting in the Round 11 win over the Rabbitohs. He also picked up Fans' Choice points in the Round 10 win over the Roosters and the Round 20 win over the Sharks.

Lui is a journeyman, but has found a home at his fourth club, the Raiders. This year he clocked up 150 NRL games, and has now made just under half of his first grade appearances in green. He is not amongst the top 10 props in the NRL on any of the statistical indicators, but he is experienced, solid, durable, consistent and always puts in his best efforts. This year, he was presented with the Club Person of the Year award on Meninga Medal night - for his leadership on and off the field.

I wrote at this time last year, that Lui might find it difficult to fight off the challengers for his spot in the side in 2020 - given the number of quality young forwards coming through the system. For a time, it looked like that would be the case. But he certainly stood tall in the club's hour of need this year. And I'm really impressed by how he did it. The recognition he's been given this year - on Meninga Medal night, by Origin selectors, by the fans - is very well deserved.

How did you rate Dunamis Lui's 2020? Tell us below.

Dunamis Lui's 2020: 7/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 20
Average minutes: 37
Tries: 2
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 1
Total try involvements: 3
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 208
All run metres: 1713
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 86
Tackle breaks: 10
Offloads: 10
Line breaks: 3
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 408
Average tackles per game: 20
1 on 1 tackles: 23
Missed tackles: 28
Average missed tackles per game: 1.4
Ineffective tackles: 14
Tackle efficiency: 90 per cent
Try causes: 3
Line break causes: 6
Errors: 8
Penalties conceded: 3
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

8 for me. It’s the one percenters that don’t make the stats sheet that always impresses me.

He’s either third guy in the tackle around the legs dropping the player to the ground (vastly slowing the play the ball) or he is stopping an offload by tackling and hugging the ball (which gives him steal opportunities).

He’s obviously a popular player amongst the playing group and drives standards off the playing field. Great clubman.

Last edited by BJ on November 13, 2020, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2020 in review - Dunamis Lui

Post by Botman »

He played this year at a level that i really didnt think he was capable of, there was a period in the middle of the year when our middles were absolute decimated and our season had a chance to get completely derailed and Lui was weird the glue that just held that pack together and weathered the storm

Just a great season for him. 8/10
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He’s found a home now I reckon.

A very solid year from Nami.

The one on one steals at some very crucial times were outstanding.

And rewarded with an Origin debut..congrats to him

7.5/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yep, can’t be under 8 for mine. Fantastic year for him.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Keep proving me wrong Dunamis :thumbsup
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

From squad filler to State of Origin - really happy for the guy.
Seems that he has found the right club to bring out his best.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Now an Origin player, but to be honest I did not have him in my 17 when the season commenced. I thought Papa, Sia, Guler and HorsPower would be the Props. Obviously been hanging around Hodgo because he became the No1 ball thief in the side. He is good defensively and for a comparatively 'small' prop he gains good meters. Other than ball stealing though, his improved handling in 2020 has been the stand out for me. In past years he seemed to have his mind on attack before securing the football. He was 'good' for a couple of errors almost every match. Not this year though. 7.5/10
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: November 14, 2020, 11:51 am Now an Origin player, but to be honest I did not have him in my 17 when the season commenced. I thought Papa, Sia, Guler and HorsPower would be the Props. Obviously been hanging around Hodgo because he became the No1 ball thief in the side. He is good defensively and for a comparatively 'small' prop he gains good meters. Other than ball stealing though, his improved handling in 2020 has been the stand out for me. In past years he seemed to have his mind on attack before securing the football. He was 'good' for a couple of errors almost every match. Not this year though. 7.5/10
Same. Injury have him a chance and he not only took it, he became a leader. He's flipped the script now and the likes of Hors, Guler, James and Sia will have to try to earn a way past him again. He's 3rd prop picked.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Origin selection was absolutely deserved for this guy - so glad to see him get some recognition.

He had a great year, he played very few poor games. I have a feeling he’s the type of player we will appreciate more once he’s no longer at the club. He’s been a great get for us.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Great to see a player playing to their potential
Hope he can take his career best form into 2021

5.5/7

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: November 15, 2020, 6:39 pm Great to see a player playing to their potential

5.5/7

:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Squad filler to SOO rep. Massive jump. Played 2020 waaaay above my expectations.
I can see why people are going 8s, but that's what I gave GWill. I dont think he was as good as him, but 7.5-8 is the range IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: November 15, 2020, 6:39 pm Great to see a player playing to their potential

5.5/7

That’s 7/10.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

6 from me

His numbers still aren't amazing, and he's only in the Qld side as they'd be picking people off the street otherwise.

Definitely has improved this season though

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:6 from me

His numbers still aren't amazing, and he's only in the Qld side as they'd be picking people off the street otherwise.

Problem is there is no stats for stopping an offload, holding someone up over the line, taking a second hit up in a weary set or working hard on your line to cover both your inside and outside co-defender.

These are what coaches, teammates and rep selectors notice however.

Lui is a get the little things right player, but nothing flash or memorable.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The other pleasing aspect on Lui's better form is that it has happened after he signed a longer term deal, rather than while playing for a contract

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:

Problem is there is no stats for stopping an offload, holding someone up over the line, taking a second hit up in a weary set or working hard on your line to cover both your inside and outside co-defender.

Dave Furner would have loved him

He was all about getting the little things right

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: November 17, 2020, 9:04 am

I often hear only coaches and players "see" certain things... but anyone who wants to watch closely can see these things. I also think stats are pretty good at capturing most things.

There are stats for stopping offloads (ineffective tackles): https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ition=prop

Lui is pretty good on that score. He ranks 25th amongst props on fewest ineffective tackles per match.

There are stats for try saves too, Lui had two this regular season: https://fantasy.nrl.com/player-profile/500957

Average runs: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ortBy=runs

Average hit ups for Lui in 2020 were 9.2 per game: https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premier ... namis-lui/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Where’s the number of sandwiches made for Josh Papalli Stat?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: November 17, 2020, 11:19 am Where’s the number of sandwiches made for Josh Papalli Stat?
Surely its 2 a day, 5 days a week.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:
BJ wrote: November 17, 2020, 11:19 am Where’s the number of sandwiches made for Josh Papalli Stat?
And the rest...

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: November 17, 2020, 12:31 pm
Matt wrote:
And the rest...

BJ only asked about sandwiches. Lui has already said he cooked fish and stuff as well. :D
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I like him. Have for years. 7/10.

46/79 gangers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

10/10

EDIT.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk