The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Pucovski 179 n.o. at stumps. Could get back to back double tons. Burns spot in the test team was tenuous but it needed somebody to put runs on the board at domestic level to earn a spot. Pucovski has done just that. I expect Langer to have a few long chats with him in the coming weeks to see of he's mentally ready to step up to test cricket. If he satisfies that part you can ink his name into the team list.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 8, 2020, 6:08 pm Pucovski 179 n.o. at stumps. Could get back to back double tons. Burns spot in the test team was tenuous but it needed somebody to put runs on the board at domestic level to earn a spot. Pucovski has done just that. I expect Langer to have a few long chats with him in the coming weeks to see of he's mentally ready to step up to test cricket. If he satisfies that part you can ink his name into the team list.
He took most of last yr off to get that sorted. Came out this yr and said 'im ready'. Then put up 255* and 179*. Not sure he can do much more.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 9, 2020, 8:18 am
Northern Raider wrote: November 8, 2020, 6:08 pm Pucovski 179 n.o. at stumps. Could get back to back double tons. Burns spot in the test team was tenuous but it needed somebody to put runs on the board at domestic level to earn a spot. Pucovski has done just that. I expect Langer to have a few long chats with him in the coming weeks to see of he's mentally ready to step up to test cricket. If he satisfies that part you can ink his name into the team list.
He took most of last yr off to get that sorted. Came out this yr and said 'im ready'. Then put up 255* and 179*. Not sure he can do much more.
Runs aren't the question. He still must convince the key people at CA he's mentally ready for test cricket. Doesn't get much tougher than a series against India. Need to be absolutely sure because if not it could do more harm than good throwing him in.

The positive is that previously it was Pucovski himself that said he wasn’t ready. So if he says "I'm good to go" then you can trust his call.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 9, 2020, 10:50 am
Matt wrote: November 9, 2020, 8:18 am
Runs aren't the question. He still must convince the key people at CA he's mentally ready for test cricket. Doesn't get much tougher than a series against India. Need to be absolutely sure because if not it could do more harm than good throwing him in.

The positive is that previously it was Pucovski himself that said he wasn’t ready. So if he says "I'm good to go" then you can trust his call.
Yup, thats my thinking
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Shield updates:
NSW have fought back... a little. Tassie are 220/8 ATM. Silk is 100*. Keeping them sub 250 would be pretty good IMO. Abbot, Conway and Lyon with 3, 2 and 2. Starc has the other.

QLD have centurion #3 vs SA, with Pierson posting his just recently. Uzi made 131, Renshaw is 141* with Pierson 109*. They are 441/4.

Vic vs WA, Pucovski has finally got out this yr. Posted 202 today, so back to back doubles, and 457 runs in 2 digs. WOW! Has to be a lock for the 1st Test. Handsomb into the high 70s*, with Maddinson 18*
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Interesting seeing Renshaw get runs down in the middle order. Forgotten man of Australian cricket. If he keeps that up he might put some pressure on guys like Wade and Head.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Building up some good depth again, which is encouraging

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: November 9, 2020, 12:56 pm Building up some good depth again, which is encouraging

Yes. In recent times when there was spots available nobody was consistently scoring enough runs to be knocking on the door.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 9, 2020, 1:22 pm
-TW- wrote: November 9, 2020, 12:56 pm Building up some good depth again, which is encouraging

Yes. In recent times when there was spots available nobody was consistently scoring enough runs to be knocking on the door.
A few of the guys we thought would be main stays are struggling too though. So, like all cricket, lots of ups and downs.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mitch Swepson another couple of wickets today. Goes to a clear leader on the wicket takers list. Obviously enjoying being away from the Gabba, which is not that friendly for leggies. Could be securing his spot as next spinner in line behind Lyon.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 9, 2020, 4:35 pm Mitch Swepson another couple of wickets today. Goes to a clear leader on the wicket takers list. Obviously enjoying being away from the Gabba, which is not that friendly for leggies. Could be securing his spot as next spinner in line behind Lyon.
Agreed
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Swepson gets 5. That's 3 in a row.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 9, 2020, 8:02 pm Swepson gets 5. That's 3 in a row.
1st guy since Bill OReilly. So massive stat.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Kohli out for last 3 tests

His wife is due to give birth and will be too hard to return back after

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: November 9, 2020, 9:36 pm Kohli out for last 3 tests

His wife is due to give birth and will be too hard to return back after

Good on him for deciding to go home. I believe its the right thing to do.

However, not sure how i feel as a cricket lover. Will 'cheapen' the series unfortunately. I suspect India are still strong without him, but will not have his aura or confidence.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

A test series without Kohli just won't be the same. :(
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

is there a TV deal yet?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yep Swepson the clear number 2. But shouldn’t even sniff test cricket until the next sub continent tour.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: November 10, 2020, 10:38 am Yep Swepson the clear number 2. But shouldn’t even sniff test cricket until the next sub continent tour.
agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

NSW vs Tassie - NSW have piled the runs on today. Larkin 161 and Henriques 113. Starc and Abbott are in the 30s at tea on day 3. Despite being bowled out for 64 on day 1, this proves that its another Adelaide pitch that is flat as a tac. Checkout Paines cheeky runout/ stumping to remove Larkin.

QLD vs SA - QLD miles in front of the game. Made 400+, Sweepson bowled SA out for 154, QLD made a quick 100 and declared (Burns failed again, Labu chasing runs 14 from 13, Uzi 46* and Renshaw 10*). SA are 60/1 in the 4th innings.

Vic vs WA - 400/4d vs 400/8... this Adelaide pitch is a freeway! We know about Pucovski and SMarsh scoring runs again. Well, Green got 56, good news for the Test hopeful; worth noting his 8 overs only went for 15, which is an enco of only 1.87 and over. Inglis, WAs keeper, is 77* ATM.

Adelaide not serving up the best of wickets here TBH.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

ABC Sport have posted the batting run leaders in the Shield. The lowest avg is 40.37, McDermott, the highest is Pucovski, 489. There are 3 players over 100, and SMarsh is 97. In the top 13 run getters, 12 avg over 55. That really is a reflection on the pitches. Its a shame Australian pitches are so so flat.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

They are playing the games out on suburban grounds in Adelaide aren't they, not even Adelaide oval. So maybe the pitches they are working with and the preparation in general has been compromised this year.

Just on Swepson. He should be played in the Australia A XI's vs India (at least the one at the SCG, if not both). Good chance to see him against the next level of opposition. He's been on enough tours/in enough squads without ever playing.

Honestly depending how the decks go and if Green/Cummins are in the team and batting well or the quicks are cooked after a pancake at the MCG... There's a chance he's picked in the SCG Test as a second spinner if he does well in the tour matches.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: November 11, 2020, 11:10 am They are playing the games out on suburban grounds in Adelaide aren't they, not even Adelaide oval. So maybe the pitches they are working with and the preparation in general has been compromised this year.

Just on Swepson. He should be played in the Australia A XI's vs India (at least the one at the SCG, if not both). Good chance to see him against the next level of opposition. He's been on enough tours/in enough squads without ever playing.

Honestly depending how the decks go and if Green/Cummins are in the team and batting well or the quicks are cooked after a pancake at the MCG... There's a chance he's picked in the SCG Test as a second spinner if he does well in the tour matches.
They are suburban grounds, but thats not an excuse. They have known, and planned for months, on a Covid safe plan. So they grounds were prepared as roads.

Agree RE Sweepson.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

NSW were skittled for 64 in the 1st innings, post over 500 in their 2nd innings, then win outright. WOW!
Wade got 59, McDermott 50 and Siddle, as the night watchy, got 46. Starc and Lyon both took 3 for to get the W.

SA need an 65 with 2 wickets in hand and ?no sure? many overs left in the day. This would be an unlikely win. Swepson just got his 1st wicket in the innings. Neilson 114, Ferguson 97, Sayers 46 for SA.

Vic vs WA is a draw. Vic batted out the day. Must have called it off early with no result in sight.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hahaha... no sooner than I finished typing, and Swepson goes bang, bang, bang, getting 3 for in 2 overs, and QLD get the W.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Test Squad and Aussie A side announced.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... SBZVsjR6V0

Test Squad: David Warner, Will Pucovski, Joe Burns, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Cameron Green, Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Michael Neser, Mitchell Swepson, Sean Abbott

I like the way this has been written, as it has the H2H players named next to each other. Fox suggesting the XI will be, Warner, Pucovski, Labuschgne, Smith, Head, Wade, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood, Lyon, 12th man Pattinson. Worried 2 debutants is too much, hence no Green.

Australia A: Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Joe Burns, Jackson Bird, Alex Carey, Harry Conway, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Nic Maddinson, Mitchell Marsh (subject to fitness), Michael Neser, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Mark Steketee, Will Sutherland, Mitchell Swepson

Players in italics are named in both. So, looks like we have a bat-a-thon playoff happening.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Interesting the selectors have taken the vice captaincy away from Head leaving Cummins to support Paine. Either they don't think they need his input or they may be preparing the way for a replacement. I think Travis is a solid player in the middle order.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

can't believe we don't have a better keeper batsman than Paine, he's done a good job as captain but his batting is underwhelming

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tbf he's probably in the best batting form of his career atm, he's hit 2 FC century's in the last 12 months, compared with 1 in 11 years prior.

Interesting though he isn't even the designated captain of Tasmania, Wade is.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

After sandpapergate the CA execs probably went for someone photogenic to put lipstick on the pig of a position they found themselves in.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

it's exactly what they did, but I'm a ruthless aussie cricket fan who expects more from the most coveted position in the nation

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: November 14, 2020, 9:43 pm Interesting the selectors have taken the vice captaincy away from Head leaving Cummins to support Paine. Either they don't think they need his input or they may be preparing the way for a replacement. I think Travis is a solid player in the middle order.
Agreed. They aren't solid he will hold his spot. Which isn't fair, given his Test avg is a tick under 42. 7×50 and 2x100 in 28 innings, which is close enough to 1 in 3 innings of 50+, and therefore very good.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: November 14, 2020, 10:18 pm Tbf he's probably in the best batting form of his career atm, he's hit 2 FC century's in the last 12 months, compared with 1 in 11 years prior.

Interesting though he isn't even the designated captain of Tasmania, Wade is.

RedRaider wrote: November 15, 2020, 12:39 pm After sandpapergate the CA execs probably went for someone photogenic to put lipstick on the pig of a position they found themselves in.
bonehead wrote: November 15, 2020, 4:35 pm it's exactly what they did, but I'm a ruthless aussie cricket fan who expects more from the most coveted position in the nation

Gents,
Yes. Paine was a stop gap, with previous perceived ability at that level, with serious charisma, aka lipstick on a pig. In their favour should people have still seen the pig, everyone loves bacon... right?!?

However, he then won the public over by being himself, with mic'ed up funnies and standing up to Kohli. He made cricket palatable again. Thus winning the spin doctor lotto for CA.

To boot, this summer he is now ballin' out. He has doubled his 1st class 100s in 3 Shield games this summer. So its win win win.

Last Q being, which keeper would you pick otherwise? Wade? Carey? Pierson? Inglis?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Paine is probably the best gloveman in Australia. Others are probably better batsman wicketkeepers.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

haven't seen much outside t20, Carey looks pretty good from what I've seen but not so much as looked up his red ball stats.
I'm not so much bemoaning Paine, more that as a proud cricket nation our captain and keeper can play 31 tests and only hit 7x 50's no tons.

Edrick The Entertainer