2020 in review - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2020.

In 2019, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was a revelation. He almost started the season as "Charzne who?". But he ended it as one of the top fullbacks in the NRL. He was voted the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Best Back, with a Grand Final appearance and a Kiwis jersey to his name. That was always going to be a tough act to follow. It certainly wasn't a case of "second year syndrome", but his form in 2020 was a touch off his break out year.

Nicoll-Klokstad made 21 appearances for the Green Machine in 2020. He missed only two games. He was rested by coach Ricky Stuart in the final round of the regular season, and the Round 12 clash with the Cowboys in Townsville. It's remarkable he missed just one game after suffering a horrible compound dislocation of his little finger in the Round 11 win over the Rabbitohs. For mine, he had a bit of a mid season dip in form, but he had a strong second half of the season.

In my player ratings for 2020, he finished with 6.5 average points per game and ranked seventh for total points. Taking into account his contribution to the season overall, I've rated him a 7.5/10. I rated him an "8" in two games during the season, the Round 13 loss to the Panthers and the Week 2 Finals victory over the Roosters. He was Fans' Choice Man of the Match in three matches (Round 7 V Eels, Round 13 V Panthers, Finals Week 2 V Roosters). He left absolutely nothing on the field in the finals clash with the Roosters, when he clocked up 276 running metres, one line break, three tackle breaks and 12 tackles (93 per cent tackle efficiency). It is little wonder he ended up with severe cramps. He scored doubles against both the Eels and the Panthers.

Nicoll-Klokstad ended the 2020 season with seven tries, compared with 11 in 2019 - meaning his strike rate was slightly down. He ranked equal third at the Raiders in the try scoring stakes - behind Nick Cotric and Jack Wighton - and eighth amongst the regular NRL fullbacks.

In 2019, Nicoll-Klokstad finished second in the NRL, to James Tedesco, for total running metres and finished first for kick return metres. This year, he dropped to seventh for running metres and eighth for kick return metres. He also dropped out of the top 10 players for average running metres and kick return metres per game. Last year, "CNK" was seventh in the NRL for total tackle breaks and first at the Raiders. However, in 2020, he dropped outside the top 20 players in the NRL in that department. He has worked on his ball playing. But with just four try assists for the season, he was well behind the benchmark fullbacks like Gutherson (19), Ponga (16), Dufty and Tedesco (15). It's something he'll want to continue to work on.

Nicoll-Klokstad's defence was good already, but it probably improved this year. He posted an 84 per cent tackle efficiency rate (81 per cent in 2019). That's up with the best fullbacks. In a very tough postion in which to defend, he was "credited" with only 10 try causes and five line breaks conceded. His try saver on Josh Morris in the finals match against the Roosters was typical of his defensive mind set. His error rate increased to almost one per match (0.6 in 2019), though some of that can be attributed to his hand injury. He was just about perfect in terms of penalties conceded.

Overall, it was a good season for Nicoll-Klokstad, though in a number of respects, he was a bit off his career best. That was never due to any lack of effort, commitment or desire. It was a difficult year for him off the field, separated from his sons for over two months. He's over in the Shaky Isles now in quarantine. Hopefully, he'll have a great break and come back refreshed and raring to go in 2021!

How did you rate Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's 2020? Do you agree with our rating? Tell us below.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2020: 7.5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 21
Average minutes: 76
Tries: 7
Try assists: 4
Try contributions: 1
Total try involvements: 12
Total kicks: 3
Kick metres: 28
Forced line drop outs: 1
Total runs: 382
All run metres: 3360
Average runs per game: 18
Average metres per game: 160
Kick return metres per game: 41
Average metres per carry: 8
Tackle breaks: 61
Offloads: 12
Line breaks: 10
Line break assists: 5
Tackles: 101
Average tackles per game: 4
1 on 1 tackles: 24
Missed tackles: 15
Average missed tackles per game: 0
Ineffective tackles: 17
Tackle efficiency: 84 per cent
Try causes: 10
Errors: 20
Penalties conceded: 1
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2020 in review - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by The Nickman »

I would've given him a 7/10 for his 2020, but 7.5 sounds reasonable too.

Nowhere NEAR as bad a player as some folks seemed to want to bang on about this season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

7.5? For CNK?

Isn't that extremely high under your ratings system?

CNK is pushing a 6 at best this season IMO.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Speak of the devil...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: October 26, 2020, 1:19 pm 7.5? For CNK?

Isn't that extremely high under your ratings system?

CNK is pushing a 6 at best this season IMO.
As per last season... the player reviews will include my average rating per match for each player... which in this case is 6.5/10. And as per last season, an allowance for a player's contribution to the season will be made in determining a rating for the season overall. A consistent weighting is applied, so that players who played more games and attracted more total points, get a bonus (and conversely). I won't give a season rating for players who played only one game, this year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He had a solid year, but as the stats suggest, certainly didn't kick on to a new level in his 2nd year in the position and if anything, he regressed a little bit.

Still tries his guts out and the Chooks game showed what level he can achieve- but he stuttered for a good patch of the season. He had some error yips for a while, his passing game never really kicked on like we'd hoped. His running and support game improved right at the back end of the year imo, but was absent for a stretch too.

7.5 might be a bit generous but it's all relative to how others get ranked or how you think a 7.5 FB year stands up against some of the fullbacks who had great form this year. If 7.5 is a middle of the pack FB year then it's fair enough.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

If he was a 6.5 during the yr, that sounds fair.
Vs Sharks and Chooks he was amazing.
So giving him a bump sounds fine to me, 7-7.5 is ok by me.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Went backwards but possibly injured...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I think he showed improvement towards the end of the season...
His best attributes are his effort and defence.
When he figures out how to continue to support the ruck, I think we will see him go to the next level.
Solid 7 for me.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I don't think he's gone backwards at all. 7.5 is a fair score

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think 6.5 is a fair score.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Stats might belie the players contribution overall. For example if the team as a whole conceded fewer line breaks, or perhaps if the attack was played differently, thus allowing fewer opportunities with the ball.
I did not see any regression from CNK this year and thought his ball playing improved. I thought it was a noticeable aspect of his progression.
I am always impressed with his commitment and effort. However I would never consider CNK to be one of the top fullbacks in the NRL. I would consider him to be a good fullback outside the elite fullbacks in the NRL, and as such a good value for money proposition in our current lineup.
I do also anticipate he will continue to improve next year.
6.5 for me.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I'd say 6.5/10. Not quite as strong as last season and had some games where he was pretty ordinary but generally was good and certainly not as bad as some made out. Has more to give and I hope in 2021 he can take it to the next level. The last third of 2020 was back to the level we have come to expect of him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ok it’s review time, let’s go greeneyed!

It really pains me to say this, and I don’t want to upset you. But that’s exactly the right score for CNK.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It’s the same conundrum that we had last year only there is less reason to believe it can be fixed

The guy is absolutely incredible in every aspect of fullback play save for ball playing. Ball playing just happens to be the most important aspect to a fullback and their impact on the attack, particularly in the red zone.

That’s what makes it so tough
If that element wasn’t as important as it is, it’s not a question
If he was slightly better than he is in that element, it’s not a question.

We can be successful without a major ball player. We have done so for the last 2 years but there is no question is thins the margin for error

I think CNK is a dogged determined guy. I think all I’d do this off season is put him through drill after drill on quick tip on passing and hitting the money ball to the winger on sweep plays
Legitimately I might have him do that non stop for 20 hours a week of pre season

That’s the missing link. Even with a subpar 2-5, with these halves, the hooker and the pack... that’s the missing link to turn this team into a legit juggernaut
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

comfortably in the top 5 fullbacks this season.

I'd like to see him grow his hair long again though
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

He had a great year, especially against the Roosters. My only criticism is him falling over when he catches a bomb. Give the opponents my field position.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't have an issue with that as majority of the time the defender was right in his face.

If he remained upright he'd get critiqued for being chaired into the ingoal all the time

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d love a month of work with Billy Slater on ball playing from fullback.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: October 27, 2020, 3:41 pm I’d love a month of work with Billy Slater on ball playing from fullback.
Oh yeah? You reckon it would help you playing down the park with the boys, BJ?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: October 27, 2020, 3:46 pm
BJ wrote: October 27, 2020, 3:41 pm I’d love a month of work with Billy Slater on ball playing from fullback.
Someone needs to finally show Billy how to 30m spiral off either side at a dead run.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: October 27, 2020, 4:02 pm
The Nickman wrote: October 27, 2020, 3:46 pm
Someone needs to finally show Billy how to 30m spiral off either side at a dead run.
I know JUST the guy... once he's done in the Croker thread
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Belcher#1 wrote: October 26, 2020, 9:21 pm comfortably in the top 5 fullbacks this season.

I'd like to see him grow his hair long again though
This is the real feedback he needs to read.

Agree with most here, not his best season but still one of the best fullbacks in the game. With the locks back, he'll find himself back at the top quickly.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 26, 2020, 9:14 pm It’s the same conundrum that we had last year only there is less reason to believe it can be fixed

The guy is absolutely incredible in every aspect of fullback play save for ball playing. Ball playing just happens to be the most important aspect to a fullback and their impact on the attack, particularly in the red zone.

That’s what makes it so tough
If that element wasn’t as important as it is, it’s not a question
If he was slightly better than he is in that element, it’s not a question.

We can be successful without a major ball player. We have done so for the last 2 years but there is no question is thins the margin for error

I think CNK is a dogged determined guy. I think all I’d do this off season is put him through drill after drill on quick tip on passing and hitting the money ball to the winger on sweep plays
Legitimately I might have him do that non stop for 20 hours a week of pre season

That’s the missing link. Even with a subpar 2-5, with these halves, the hooker and the pack... that’s the missing link to turn this team into a legit juggernaut
We have an international 9.
We have an international 7 (give or take Hastings joke of a selection).
We have and international 6, admittedly out of position, but he is also the reigning Dally M player and 5/8 of the yr (voting system issues aside).
Do we really need CNK to be better? I get what you are saying, but are we asking a little too much?

Then we have an international prop, arguably the best in the game.
We have an international edge backrower.
We new have a former international backrower replacing an international backrower.
We have an international lock/ prop, who has finally figured out he can actually be elite rather than really good.

Ricky asked for a side this stacked. He has 1. We have made a GF and a Prelim in the past 2 yrs. I get where you are coming from, but, as we asking for too much? Most of those top sides have 3, not 4 studs in the spine.
Can that be compensated by having a strike outside back? Which I guess at this point needs to be a rookie that we have in house, BUT...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

CNK is doing just fine.

He was outstanding when it mattered against the Roosters in the final, and if the QLD Government didn't completely screw us over, there is every chance he would have been the starting fullback two Grand Finals in a row. His kick return metres are down because the opposition actively avoided kicking to him.

Add to that, he will only get better IMO.

7.5/10
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

I think 7.5 is on the money. And from what I understand his family went back to NZ for a fair part of the year too which shouldn’t be underestimated.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I was concerned heading into this year that we might see a case of second year syndrome. But alas, CNK has proved his class. Ive said it before that im not sure if his ball playing deficiencies can be attributed to Stickys conservative style. I say this because ive seen him throw some incredible balls. Perhaps this will become more of a feature of his game in the future. In any event i wont begrudge any kudos this guy gets cause in my opinion he is one of these best full backs in the game and a major reason why weve improved over the past 2 years.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Struggled under the high ball early on this year but his end to the season was fantastic. One of our best throughout the finals
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: October 28, 2020, 3:12 pm
We have and international 6, admittedly out of position, but he is also the reigning Dally M player and 5/8 of the yr (voting system issues aside).
Do we really need CNK to be better? I get what you are saying, but are we asking a little too much?

We new have a former international backrower replacing an international backrower.
We have an international lock/ prop, who has finally figured out he can actually be elite rather than really good.

Ricky asked for a side this stacked. He has 1. We have made a GF and a Prelim in the past 2 yrs. I get where you are coming from, but, as we asking for too much? Most of those top sides have 3, not 4 studs in the spine.
Can that be compensated by having a strike outside back? Which I guess at this point needs to be a rookie that we have in house, BUT...
Do we need CNK to be better? Imo yes
Is that too much to ask of him? Maybe. But that’s what the team needs if it wants to achieve its goals

He’s not alone either
We need continued improvement from Jack too, from George, Hodgson needs to deliver at a higher level than he did this year

The backs need to improve significantly. Hard to ask much more of papalii or tarps or most the forwards

Imo, If improving his ball playing to help unlock our best attack is too much to ask then we need to be at least open to the possibility that we need something else
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
Yep, good point. When one of them scores a try I’ll know how to accidentally kick them in the head.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:45 am
Matt wrote: October 28, 2020, 3:12 pm

Do we need CNK to be better? Imo yes
Is that too much to ask of him? Maybe. But that’s what the team needs if it wants to achieve its goals

He’s not alone either
We need continued improvement from Jack too, from George, Hodgson needs to deliver at a higher level than he did this year

The backs need to improve significantly. Hard to ask much more of papalii or tarps or most the forwards

Imo, If improving his ball playing to help unlock our best attack is too much to ask then we need to be at least open to the possibility that we need something else
Hard marker... but probably true too.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

of all our spine hodgson worries me the most and hes the one we have the best back up for.

IMO if hodgson doesnt overplay his hand next year and gives more effective contributions instead of quantity contributions CNKs attack will not really determine how we go, we will go really well and contend again, probably even closer, if not winning it all.

If hodgson tries to be the man to often and robbie farahs his way through next season, we will lose a lot of points and have people asking for more starling and less hodgson, no matter how good CNK goes.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

papabear wrote: October 29, 2020, 12:23 pm of all our spine hodgson worries me the most and hes the one we have the best back up for.

IMO if hodgson doesnt overplay his hand next year and gives more effective contributions instead of quantity contributions CNKs attack will not really determine how we go, we will go really well and contend again, probably even closer, if not winning it all.

If hodgson tries to be the man to often and robbie farahs his way through next season, we will lose a lot of points and have people asking for more starling and less hodgson, no matter how good CNK goes.
Agree with all that.

A spine containing Hodgson, Wighton and Williams should not need to rely on one of the best defensive fullbacks in the comp becoming Billy Slater with the ball for our attack to be effective.

At the end of the day we made a Prelim Final and were completely screwed over by the QLD Gov't in our prep for that game. I don't think CNK is one of our biggest concerns.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 29, 2020, 1:26 pm
papabear wrote: October 29, 2020, 12:23 pm of all our spine hodgson worries me the most and hes the one we have the best back up for.

Agree with all that.

A spine containing Hodgson, Wighton and Williams should not need to rely on one of the best defensive fullbacks in the comp becoming Billy Slater with the ball for our attack to be effective.

At the end of the day we made a Prelim Final and were completely screwed over by the QLD Gov't in our prep for that game. I don't think CNK is one of our biggest concerns.
Worse excuse than blaming a baby for a 30 year old centre going into physical decline tbh.

We lost that game because the Melbourne Storm comprehensively outplayed us, through the talent in their team and the ability of their coach to put a plan together that we had no answers for. We could've been up there for two weeks and it wouldn't have done squat.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: October 29, 2020, 2:29 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 29, 2020, 1:26 pm

Agree with all that.

Worse excuse than blaming a baby for a 30 year old centre going into physical decline tbh.

We lost that game because the Melbourne Storm comprehensively outplayed us, through the talent in their team and the ability of their coach to put a plan together that we had no answers for. We could've been up there for two weeks and it wouldn't have done squat.
Righto champion.

We conceded 18 points in 5 minutes of horrible football and ultimately lost by 20 after creating and murdering a number of opportunities.

It wasn't some masterful gameplan that killed us. We just played some of the worst football we have all season.

Anyway, you believe what you want to believe.