2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Panthers 13+
No votes
Panthers 1-12
17%
Storm 1-12
67%
Storm 13+
17%

Total votes: 6

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Re: 2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Old School Green »

I watched the Fox commentary version late last night. The difference is actually immeasurable.
Fox runs absolute rings around 9. Smith is the most professional and best caller in the game; Warren is way past his prime. He is the Joe Biden of commentary. Sleepy Ray. His dribbling banter that he engages in with Gould, Fittler, Johns et al is the stuff of CIA hostage torture tactics.

Anasta, Ennis etc blew the 9 coverage out of the water. Most will never see it due to the rules that govern the GF live broadcast but seriously last night was horrible. Gould's continual assertion that Penrith were the better team and only unlucky at 16 and 22-0 down will go down in Australian commentary infamy as some the most biased and idiotic drivel ever uttered.

The difference between 9 and fox was like the difference in 89. I refuse to watch the abc commentary version yet when the old channel 10 version is on I can't get enough. Storm fans will feel the same no doubt about last night.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Not enough emphasis on Ivan's decision to have Naden on the bench for the last two games. May was terrible last night. When Naden did come on he offered substance in attack.

Kikau should have been hooked as well.

Storm are a classy unit, although next year is going to be interesting without Smith (maybe) and arguably two of the best wingers in the competition in JAC and SV.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Does anyone know why there all wearing goggles?
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Spraying beer/champagne in the dressing room probably. Very NBA-esque!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I assumed they were beer goggles.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Excellent defense by the storm. Big choke by the panthers. Would have been a farce if they came back and won it.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 26, 2020, 7:56 am FWIW I think the Hughes sin bin was fair. At the ground I thought it was a harsh call, but on replay he wasn't subtle enough and shouldn't have dropped his hip into Kikau. Penriths first try was an obstruction though. Bad call there IMO.
Agreed.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Colk wrote: October 26, 2020, 4:13 am Why was everybody going for the Storm? To me, it is completely dispiriting watching the Storm or the Roosters win every year and to be honest I can’t see it any different next year.
It says a lot that the Storm were preferred to the alternative. Arrogant, entitled team that had been handed a dream run by the NRL. Sydney. Greg Alexander. Cleary. 45 minutes to Artarmon.
Agreed, they've been carrying on like the champion elect for years. I hate them that much I was actively supporting the Storm like they were my own team.

Would've been better if they lost by 50..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I usually really like the Panthers and absolutely detest the Storm (like next level), but for some reason I really wanted the Storm to win that game. It was the weirdest thing ever. There was something a bit stinky about the Panthers this season.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You can't go from missing the 8 to winning 17 straight the next season just by recruiting a hooker..

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Apparently get beer and stuff sprayed in your eyes makes it hard to see, or so claim the roosters after their recount of last years gf on fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders fans... time to VOTE! Joe Tapine or George Williams! #NRL #WeAreRaiders

NRL 2020: Try of the finals https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/26/cho ... he-finals/ via @NRL

And it's time to VOTE AGAIN, Canberra Raiders fans! Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad or Sia Soliola/Siliva Havili! #NRL #WeAreRaiders

NRL 2020: Tackle of the Finals https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/26/cho ... he-finals/ via @NRL
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I usually really like the Panthers and absolutely detest the Storm (like next level), but for some reason I really wanted the Storm to win that game. It was the weirdest thing ever. There was something a bit stinky about the Panthers this season.
I was the same. Panthers have carried on all year. Very cocky and very arrogant from the coach down.

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

mobrulesall wrote:Not enough emphasis on Ivan's decision to have Naden on the bench for the last two games.
You mean Nathan's decision to start his best mate.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Agree with all the comments about the Pamfers arrogance...
Coupled with their soft draw and lack of travel, I found myself barracking for the storm.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rick wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I usually really like the Panthers and absolutely detest the Storm (like next level), but for some reason I really wanted the Storm to win that game. It was the weirdest thing ever. There was something a bit stinky about the Panthers this season.
I was the same. Panthers have carried on all year. Very cocky and very arrogant from the coach down.

Me too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I also think the Panthers were cocky... they were manufacturing humbleness which i felt wasnt genuine. Next season will be telling for them.

I really question if we could have beaten Panthers in the this year. With the same gf side as last year i would have been more confident. I think both roosters and raiders were better last year than both the teams last night.

If we had a level playing field we could have done something this year (one simply cannot ignore the travel we had to do and not to mention the injuries).. all in all Storm deserved the win. Congrats to them.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They left Sydney 4 times in the entire 24 weeks of the season, and had the audacity to whinge about Clearys 40 min drive to fox studios "ruining his preparation"

Cry a river

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raider Azz wrote: October 26, 2020, 2:47 pm
mobrulesall wrote:Not enough emphasis on Ivan's decision to have Naden on the bench for the last two games.
You mean Nathan's decision to start his best mate.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
This is such a weird mindset/rumour.

It was all due to Naden’s brain explosion is the first final. But still I think it just have hurt the team’s mentality and thrown in the thought that things needed to be patched over to win the comp despite winning 16 straight.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It takes balls from a coach to make hard decisions but the Naden/May call was a defensive and poor decision imo. If he’d lost all faith in May he should’ve reverted to Whare but it also appears Ivan doesn’t rate him either. Using a stop gap utility centre when you have 2 first grade standard ones in the 21 will always be a bad one imo. Gone are the days of ball play meaning anything for a first grade centre.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

julian87 wrote: This is such a weird mindset/rumour.

It was all due to Naden’s brain explosion is the first final. But still I think it just have hurt the team’s mentality and thrown in the thought that things needed to be patched over to win the comp despite winning 16 straight.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gangrenous wrote: October 27, 2020, 6:56 am
julian87 wrote: This is such a weird mindset/rumour.

Nope. They’d won 16 when he dropped Naden.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I think the coaching (Nadan) decision should perhaps be parked.. you can argue that this coach made the club who they are today. Hat off to them for their achievements. Perhaps, a learning from it could be that while defense is always going to be critical the faster game today should put more consideration on attack.

Fully agree - they were very fortunate with the draw and how little travel they needed to do. This no doubt helped with the health of their players.
Raiders needed to fly to Brisbane to play Storm. Apparently some players rested on the floor in the corporate boxes before the game. Conservatively its 3 hours door to stadium for these players. Hardly an experience any player in a professional athlete should endure.

Being a Raiders tragic, I dont really care too much for Panthers, but their egos could hurt them a lot going forward. I believe this is also true for Parramatta. Both a little too cocky when they are flying.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

julian87 wrote: Nope. They’d won 16 when he dropped Naden.
Touché
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

benda wrote:I think the coaching (Nadan) decision should perhaps be parked.. you can argue that this coach made the club who they are today. Hat off to them for their achievements. Perhaps, a learning from it could be that while defense is always going to be critical the faster game today should put more consideration on attack.

Fully agree - they were very fortunate with the draw and how little travel they needed to do. This no doubt helped with the health of their players.
Raiders needed to fly to Brisbane to play Storm. Apparently some players rested on the floor in the corporate boxes before the game. Conservatively its 3 hours door to stadium for these players. Hardly an experience any player in a professional athlete should endure.

Being a Raiders tragic, I dont really care too much for Panthers, but their egos could hurt them a lot going forward. I believe this is also true for Parramatta. Both a little too cocky when they are flying.
Cockyness isnt something you can just train out of people as well, if panthers get off to another good season next year, it will be the same all over again.

Their team from the coach to the players are simply cocky people, like the old toad has tried to pound into anyone who would listen to him, the large majority of that team, al played from under 7's together and were a very good talented successful team that rarely had any competition.

Anyone who goes theough 17 straight wins will feel on top of the world but its how you handle it shows what type of people you are and the panthers are just completely up them selfs.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Surprised Kikau has got off quite lightly in the media reporting I’ve seen.

His game really epitomised the first half for the Panthers. He would look dangerous and then finish a play with an impatient decision (pass off the ground) or error (number of knock ons). You can’t do that in a GF against the Storm.

He’s a weapon, but Cleary needs to help him play a bit calmer in the big games.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

The storm are the first team in the nrl to win a Premiership after being kept to nil

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Kept to nil what?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They got beaten 14-0 earlier in the year

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

LOL. That's a meaningless stat, they were playing the Eels with a well below strength side at the time.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Might be meaning less but something that commentators love to rave about every time a team is kept to zip

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

They’ll have to change it up. No premier has ever been held to zip in a GF.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: October 27, 2020, 11:28 am Surprised Kikau has got off quite lightly in the media reporting I’ve seen.

His game really epitomised the first half for the Panthers. He would look dangerous and then finish a play with an impatient decision (pass off the ground) or error (number of knock ons). You can’t do that in a GF against the Storm.

He’s a weapon, but Cleary needs to help him play a bit calmer in the big games.
Kikau was captain **** up for the majority of the game. Became a running joke among us watching on TV: "Kikau's got it. Here comes a turnover." He had an absolute shocker and a big reason Panthers were behind 26-0.

You're right, there's been virtually no media scrutiny of his performance.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The best one was dropping it, giving away 6 again and then a penalty in the space of 20 seconds.

If it was a **** team it would have been a meme by now

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Still loving seeing Penrith lose the GF. I dislike the Storm but a combination of Ivan, his son, May, Brandy, Fat Toad, and their CEO who complained about playing on Saturday and not Friday in the Prelim Final and poor Nath's 45 min drive to Artarmon wanted me to see them lose. Ivan Cleary is an arrogant twat. Most unlikeable team in 2020 - Roosters and Broncos included. Ivan is more unlikeable than Wayne Bennett.