2020 Dally M Medal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 2020 Dally M Medal

Post by Danaman137 »

Best part about this is he won every without Cleary getting docked points which he should have been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

8 NSW players in team of the yr - unless Nofo goes Samoan
2 NZ internationals
1 Fijian
1 QLDer
1 pentioner
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The truth is Jacko has been great ever since the fight in Civic happened. People forget how good he was in 2018 before he got suspended.

Has really taken the next step.

It is a great achievement when you consider we are one club where the front rower takes a lot of the votes and we have another quality half.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sometime you win
sometimes you lose

Either way Jack gets the Dally M Medal
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

afgtnk wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:26 pm If we were all Panthers fans and this was their forum, there would be A LOT of posters in meltdown mode and conspiracy theories flying around :lol:

Huge congratulations to Jack - he's had another great season. Finally realising that potential of his we all knew he had.
If they want to complain we are happy to swap.

Cleary gets the medal and we play Sunday.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Great stuff Jacky Boiii!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

afgtnk wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:26 pm If we were all Panthers fans and this was their forum, there would be A LOT of posters in meltdown mode and conspiracy theories flying around :lol:

Huge congratulations to Jack - he's had another great season. Finally realising that potential of his we all knew he had.
Panthers filled most of the team of the year. Shows their points were well spread.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I cannot believe it... didnt bother watching as i assumed cleary was a shoe in!! Well done jack now just needs a premiership ring to go with his Clive Churchill and Dalley M!!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Well done Jacky Boi

But Cleary should be hard done by

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

-TW- wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:36 pm Well done Jacky Boi

But Cleary should be hard done by

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Greg Alexander was pushing Gutherson and of course Cleary desperately before the Round 20 end result.

Literally begging for it to be anyone but Jack.
:lol: :roflmao
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Well deserved Wighton!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Cleary not hard done by, the entire panthers team was playing well and obviously their 3,2,1 points weee going to be split!!
Jacky Boy🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

We're building Jack!! We'll get you the Premiership!!
2021 - get it done boys!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I knew what was coming and I was still in tears of pride. Well done to him. And well deserved. Great for the club as well.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

They really can't let go of that Cody Ramsey. Is he Rothfield's nephew or something?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Blokes got everything except a premiership now.

Well deserved.

Great for Jack.

Good for the club to be collecting some awards. It just never hurts recruitment or even development of kids at the club who will now look up to what Jack's done. Sticky has been big on this group developing their own history and this should be acknowledged as a big part of that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:28 pm Best part about this is he won every without Cleary getting docked points which he should have been

Indeed, if he’d won it would have made a mockery of the award.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some great pics around on Instagram of some of the team at Assembly, watching the win!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Congrats to Jack on his Daily M, POTY award and 5/8 of the Year.

Also to Papa for being one of the Props of the Year and for THAT ankle tap tackle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Jack Wighton caps stunning NRL rise with Dally M Medal

It isn't the medal Jack Wighton wanted this year, but it's a pretty good consolation prize. The Canberra Raiders star has capped off a brilliant 2020 NRL season as the Dally M Medallist.

"I can't really explain it. I'm actually speechless," Wighton said. "I really didn't think I was going to walk away with the award. I really want to thank the club and everything they've done for me. All the boys, I can't do it without the boys each week. Last but not least my beautiful partner and my two girls."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

‘I had a good look in the mirror’: How Wighton turned his career around to win Dally M: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6b277b1adc

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii named NRL's chief enforcer at Dally Ms

Josh Papalii's ascent to the top of the props is complete. The Canberra Raiders enforcer was named as one of two Dally M props of the year on Monday night.

While he shared that award with Penrith bookend James Fisher-Harris - the NRL introduced a full 13 for the first time - he was never going to share the tackle-of-the-year gong.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Incredibly, our 2 players if the year and dally m winner are the 2 blokes who shifted positions at the start of last year to much criticism. Surely a masterstroke from sticky
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Greenhouse wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:01 pm DALLY M FEMALE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Ali Brigginshaw (Brisbane Broncos)
3 rounds and we crown a winner ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

From memory this isn't the first time the Daily Telegraph has leaked the result early?

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well done Jack. Great season.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

“We want to wish Jack the best, he deserves to win it," Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill said. "It's disappointing from our club that Nathan, in the busiest week of his career, had to travel from Penrith to Artarmon and sit there at the Dally M knowing that he's not going to win it.”

This cracked me up!! Poor Nathan will be slow out of the blocks in the GF after that LONG trip and having to sit around for an evening. I’m afraid the Storm will definitely win now, with the red carpet treatment they have been given coming to the game a day early, with time to rest and prepare.
I smell a conspiracy to give Cameron his fairytale.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Green thumbs wrote: October 20, 2020, 6:40 am “We want to wish Jack the best, he deserves to win it," Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill said. "It's disappointing from our club that Nathan, in the busiest week of his career, had to travel from Penrith to Artarmon and sit there at the Dally M knowing that he's not going to win it.”

This cracked me up!! Poor Nathan will be slow out of the blocks in the GF after that LONG trip and having to sit around for an evening. I’m afraid the Storm will definitely win now, with the red carpet treatment they have been given coming to the game a day early, with time to rest and prepare.
To be fair to O'Neill and Cleary, that 49 minute drive is probably the 3rd longest road trip he's had to take this year
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How did he know he wasn't going to win it?

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Botman wrote:
Green thumbs wrote: October 20, 2020, 6:40 am “We want to wish Jack the best, he deserves to win it," Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill said. "It's disappointing from our club that Nathan, in the busiest week of his career, had to travel from Penrith to Artarmon and sit there at the Dally M knowing that he's not going to win it.”

To be fair to O'Neill and Cleary, that 49 minute drive is probably the 3rd longest road trip he's had to take this year
This is gold

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That’s a classic. After the dream ride Penrith has been given. They are a very arrogant and entitled club, which is a little strange, considering.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuming NRL to launch investigation into Dally M Awards leak 'stuff-up', Penrith Panthers also livid

The NRL are fuming after the Daily Telegraph accidentally revealed Canberra star Jack Wighton had won the 2020 Dally M Medal before the ceremony had even begun, with an investigation set to be launched.

"It's disappointing from our club that Nathan [Cleary], in the busiest week of his career, had to travel from Penrith to Artarmon and sit there at the Dally M knowing that he's not going to win it," Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill said.

Read more and Jack Wighton interview: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dally-m-le ... d1eb6bc8e5

Wighton shock Dally M winner as V'landys vows to investigate Daily Telegraph blunder

Penrith and NRL officials were left fuming on Monday night after The Daily Telegraph accidentally revealed Jack Wighton as the winner of the Dally M Medal hours before the official announcement.

"It's disappointing from our club that Nathan, in the busiest week of his career, had to travel from Penrith to Artarmon and sit there at the Dally M knowing that he's not going to win it. From a club's perspective we're disappointed that Nathan had to find out that way but congrats to Jack Wighton. We now have bigger fish to fry and that's to go on and win a premiership on Sunday."

CANBERRA RAIDERS TOP FIVE

Jack Wighton 26
George Williams 8
Josh Papalii 7
Elliott Whitehead 6
Josh Hodgson 6

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wighto ... 566j7.html

Dally M Medal 2020: Every vote, every round and every club’s top five: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... dea84dc2f8

The blistering performances that won Jack Wighton the Dally M — vote by vote: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c92c4232a3

Jack Wighton’s partner posts touching tribute as he wins NRL’s Dally M Medal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 010ba99cb3

‘I had a good look in the mirror’: How Wighton turned his career around to win Dally M: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6b277b1adc

‘We stuffed up’: Daily Telegraph apologises for ‘production error’ that leaked Dally M winner: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 13130ad734

Jack Wighton wins 2020 NRL Dally M Medal: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1417036

Wighton denies Dally M result was spoilt: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1417974

Investigation launched after ‘production error’ ruins NRL’s biggest award: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1418971

VIDEO: Jack Wighton speaks to Sunrise the morning after the Dally M: https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/1 ... 1910299648

VIDEO: Jack Wighton speaks to Today the morning after the Dally M: https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/nrl/nrl ... o6f0mocnkr

VIDEO: The moment Jack Wighton won the 2020 Dally M Medal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/19/jac ... y-m-medal/

VIDEO: Josh Papalii named Prop of the Year: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/19/dal ... econd-row/

VIDEO: Josh Papalii's Tackle of the Year: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/19/tac ... h-papalii/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

You couldn't make this **** up. :lol:
Humphrey B Flaubert
David Grant

Post by Humphrey B Flaubert »

greeneyed wrote: October 20, 2020, 7:31 am

That’s a classic. After the dream ride Penrith has been given. They are a very arrogant and entitled club, which is a little strange, considering.
I've done the trip from Penrith to Artarmon many, many times back when I was at uni out at penrith and my then GF lived at Artarmon. It's not that bad. I'd even go the long way to avoid tolls as a struggling uni student :lol: But it's this sort of attitude that has me leaning more towards the Storm this week.

NewsCorp definitely screwed this up. Some poor person inside the editorial team clicked something at the time they shouldn't and the result was accidentally published. That person would feel like absolute crap today, and probably will either lose their job or throw in the towel as a result. The blow up over the result, because Jack isn't the 'best' player is remarkable to watch. The Dally M is the best and fairest. It's even engraved as such on the back of the medal. If people want a best player medal, then that will cause more controversy because it is so subjective.

I feel for Jack. After winning the clive last year, and now picking up the dally m, he will unfairly have to cop the "he didn't deserve it" for both. But he certainly does deserve it. He's been amazing since his shift to the #6, and I look forward to watching him get better next year, and the one after that.
Speed limits are just suggestions....Like pants!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Daily Telegraph simply living up to their motto ‘first with the news’.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Botman wrote: October 20, 2020, 7:07 am

Great stuff! Made me laugh. So did all the articles saying King Gutho should have won it by getting at least 2 points in the final round- well he should have got one point for that stupid dance he performs when he scores a try but he didn't score in the last round
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:04 am
Botman wrote: October 20, 2020, 7:07 am

Great stuff! Made me laugh. So did all the articles saying King Gutho should have won it by getting at least 2 points in the final round- well he should have got one point for that stupid dance he performs when he scores a try but he didn't score in the last round
He should have points deducted for that “dance”.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: October 19, 2020, 7:56 pm Yeah look, don't want to **** on Jack as it's a monumental achievement given our last player to win one was Loz in '95 if the leaks are true, but still.... he'd be the most undeserved winner in a while.
Why?

He led his team to the preliminary final with virtually no other creative attacking option (besides the halfback's short kicking) in the entire team. He is undeniably the most important singular player to any of the top 6 teams in the 2020 NRL season. He earned 3 points in almost half the games he played.

Surprising to some; yes, but undeserved? I think that's a bit of a slap in the face to Wighton tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.