Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: Team for next year

Post by papabear »

-PJ- wrote: October 18, 2020, 6:14 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 17, 2020, 11:36 pm Croker is !@#$
Valemi is !@#$
Scott is !@#$
Rapana is !@#$

Get rid of them
Bit harsh on Semi..

I like him, he has promise.
This... I’m actually excited about seeing how he goes next year.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I think Valemei will continue to improve, you could see improvement in almost every game he played this season. I think he has a chance to challenge for a starting spot, but I will definitely be starting with Raps and Simmo on the wings. HSS and Timoko both look like great talents to me, and I would like them to fight it out for the right centre spot.

As far as Curtis Scott goes, either he has a really big pre season or we should help him find a home elsewhere.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Valemei shouldn’t be in the conversation...at least until he sorts out his arm grabbing tackle technique..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

GreenMachine wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:08 am Valemei shouldn’t be in the conversation...at least until he sorts out his arm grabbing tackle technique..
Semis deficiencies will be ironed out over the off season.

There's a more experienced bloke standing out the the centres who's forgotten to use his shoulders.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

papabear wrote: October 18, 2020, 10:11 am
-PJ- wrote: October 18, 2020, 6:14 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 17, 2020, 11:36 pm Croker is !@#$
Valemi is !@#$
Scott is !@#$
Rapana is !@#$

Get rid of them
Bit harsh on Semi..

I like him, he has promise.
This... I’m actually excited about seeing how he goes next year.
You are also wearing a massive amount of cap to try and get rid of them all and you do have to buy and find replacements which is not easy for four players .
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Rapana back to the wing.
Give Timoko and HSS a full off season to claim the #4 jersey.
And give the skip a rocket. His position is safe for now but it's his to lose.

Let's just chill.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

-PJ- wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:41 am
GreenMachine wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:08 am Valemei shouldn’t be in the conversation...at least until he sorts out his arm grabbing tackle technique..
Semis deficiencies will be ironed out over the off season.

There's a more experienced bloke standing out the the centres who's forgotten to use his shoulders.
I’m not sold on Valemei but it was more to do with him not being ready as yet. There is upside there with his size and strength so I wouldn’t write him off just yet. He might just need to play a bit more in reggies, get some more confidence and fine tuning.

Croker is a shame because he has always had good touch and awareness (he had eight try assists this year which is good for a centre) but the modern game has caught up with him. The lighter, skillful centres like the Matt Gidleys are more and more a thing of the past and being replaced by the more athletic types. The fact is any kind of touch we get with him is now totally negated by the lack of metres we get.

Scott..well I think we have been sold a pup. Hope we see his supposed potential very soon

Rapana is still quite strong. As a winger he would make 140-150 metres per game. Won’t make the average 180-200 metres a game or do the brilliant plays that he used to but would still do a solid job on the wing like a Brett Morris for example at a low price. Essentially I am not as worried about him as our centres.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Semi will be fine
He wasn’t quite ready for this role in 2020 but the raw talent and attributes are all there
So it’s just going to be about developing him further.

No concerns about him at all and I have him penciled in (not pen) right now for the Cotric spot ahead of Simo

He’s the least of our concerns looking ahead to 2021 and beyond... the other backline positions are all question marks imo
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I think we’ll be right up there again in 2021.

I think we should be like this:

1. CNK
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Timoko
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Horsburgh
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Young
16. Sutton
17. Guler/James

18. James/Guler
19. Havili
20. Soliola
21. Rapana

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Dusty wrote: October 18, 2020, 3:33 pm I think we’ll be right up there again in 2021.

I think we should be like this:

1. CNK
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Timoko
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Horsburgh
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Young
16. Sutton
17. Guler/James

18. James/Guler
19. Havili
20. Soliola
21. Rapana

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I like this team but I'd have Simonsson (left) and Rapana (right) as my wingers
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

If i were to guess I'd say this will be the side in Rd1 (backup in brackets)
1. CNK (Aekins, Cook)
2. Simmo (Niko)
3. Croker (HSS)
4. Scott (Timoko)
5. Rapa (Semi - could easily start BTW)
6. Jack (Frawley)
7. GWill (Sammy/ Subloo)
8. Papa (James)
9. Hodgo/Starling (Hodgo might not be ready Rd1)
10. Horse (Sia)
11. CHN
12. Whitey
13. Tapine (Sutton)

14. Havili (we have a young hooker, can't remember his name, but might still be 20s eligible)
15. Young
16. Guler (KOD)
17. Lui (Medlyn)

Outside Young, not sure who the backup edge forwards are. Rushton* if he get here.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Our two big issues next season are obviously sorting out the centres, and our second row depth. I'm a bit worried that Whitehead is towards the end of his career. He struggled a bit during the finals, but it has been a huge season for him.

I'm fairly comfortable with Simo, Rapa and Valemei as our wing options, given Cotric's departure.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:02 am Our two big issues next season are obviously sorting out the centres, and our second row depth. I'm a bit worried that Whitehead is towards the end of his career. He struggled a bit during the finals, but it has been a huge season for him.

I'm fairly comfortable with Simo, Rapa and Valemei as our wing options, given Cotric's departure.
Whitehead has escaped some scrutiny because of his outstanding first half of the season. Looked to be struggling towards the end. A lot of uncharacteristic defensive lapses and several errors with the ball. His decline was quite noticeable. I'm hoping it was down to fatigue with the tougher than normal schedule and he bounces back in 2021.

It does highlight that we're lacking depth for edge back rowers in 2021. Outside of Whitehead and CHN our options are all natural middle forwards.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:08 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:02 am Our two big issues next season are obviously sorting out the centres, and our second row depth. I'm a bit worried that Whitehead is towards the end of his career. He struggled a bit during the finals, but it has been a huge season for him.

Whitehead has escaped some scrutiny because of his outstanding first half of the season. Looked to be struggling towards the end. A lot of uncharacteristic defensive lapses and several errors with the ball. His decline was quite noticeable. I'm hoping it was down to fatigue with the tougher than normal schedule and he bounces back in 2021.

It does highlight that we're lacking depth for edge back rowers in 2021. Outside of Whitehead and CHN our options are all natural middle forwards.
Whitey, CHN and Young are it. Tapine is the other option, but given his middle transformation, we dont want to go there again, surely.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Croker to follow his namesake Jason, bulk up in the off season and move into the back row!
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

And to fill the void, Young and CHN to trim down and play centres.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

given our lack of speed on the edges, I do not like a starting three quarters of:-
- simmonson
- croker
- scott
- rapana

I think Valemi is on one wing, simmonson whilst he is solid isnt really fast and doesnt have cotric power to offset that, so the other wing is a fight between simonsson and rapana depending on the offseason and whatever the coach thinks is best between the two of them.

Croker is going to start at one centre so no point speculating there and tbh with his goal kicking and runs on the board he should start.

The other centre is a battle between scott / timoko / HSS
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

casta66 wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:33 am Croker to follow his namesake Jason, bulk up in the off season and move into the back row!
tigers did this with chris lawrence, if its gotten that bad you just need to move him on.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

also everyone around him on the edge also sucked so its hard to pin blame on just him.

I think whitehead is still very good even with a few down games and he will be fine next year, also as far as backups for edges go tapine / hudson young are pretty top tier.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

papabear wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:36 am
casta66 wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:33 am Croker to follow his namesake Jason, bulk up in the off season and move into the back row!
tigers did this with chris lawrence, if its gotten that bad you just need to move him on.
Just joking sorry.

I like your previous post re outside backs. Croker would and should start of course.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I saw it too with Whitehead, but the romantics criticised me for pointing this out. Not just end of the year - remember the defensive efforts against Newcastle (Kalyn Ponga easy try), and Liam Martin v Penrith. Whitehead's responsibility, but he didn't lay a hand on him.

The centres are a real concern. We are a slow side without strike out wide. It's almost non-Raiders like; since 1987, we have had good strike out wide! I like Croker as a person, but I think he has deteriorated too much. Think of earlier games against Canterbury and Brisbane, let alone the last two games. I also think it's ironic that the two centres we let go, Brenko and Naden, are in line for the GF. Not saying they were better than ours at the time.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Whitehead had a poor finals series. Thats his poor "back end of the year. "
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

6 months in the gym will do wonders for the development of Semi, Timoko, HSS etc.

Croker can just tackle bags.

After Christmas when all the feel good stories from pre-season training start rolling in we'll all get excited again..you know it.

It will be all lovely..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And someone has to start up the "best pre-season ever" thread.

I love that stuff.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:23 am

Whitey, CHN and Young are it. Tapine is the other option, but given his middle transformation, we dont want to go there again, surely.
Those three are hopefully enough. O' Donnel didn't let anyone down when he played either. He's ok for 4th choice.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: October 19, 2020, 1:02 pm

Those three are hopefully enough. O' Donnel didn't let anyone down when he played either. He's ok for 4th choice.
KOD played lock mate. Im looking at the edge guys.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Whitehead had a good year. Absolute least of our concerns. His try causes and errors are right in line on average, with other top 2nd rowers like Lane or Kikau and his attack also stacks up with the best. What do you expect more than that? Honestly, if you junk that player then good luck finding a replacement who'll come near matching it.

He was having a vintage year, but then yeah, didn't influence the finals much. Not sure that's a "decline" though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: October 19, 2020, 1:07 pm
KOD played lock mate. Im looking at the edge guys.
I know he was _required_ to play middle for us by circumstances, but given he's very mobile and the club lists him as a 2nd rower I was hoping he might also be an edge option.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote:And someone has to start up the "best pre-season ever" thread.

I love that stuff.
Toughest...

Better get in early to set it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'd put Young into the 'middle playing edge' category. Same as Horse who was tried there earlier in the season. I'd like to have one more specialised edge player on the roster. I mentioned previously, one of those hybrid centre/backrowers like Capewell would be handy.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 19, 2020, 1:54 pm

I'd put Young into the 'middle playing edge' category. Same as Horse who was tried there earlier in the season. I'd like to have one more specialised edge player on the roster. I mentioned previously, one of those hybrid centre/backrowers like Capewell would be handy.
I agree with that.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Apart from his last couple of games Whitehead was literally one of our best this year.

I am putting this in the basket of strange and irrational calls along with the criticism of CNK.

We have actual issues to address before even remotely considering Whitehead as one of them; namely our outside backs and Hodgson's return from 2x ACL's.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, I think we all hope Elliott comes back to his best next season. I was just pointing out that he struggled a bit at times across the 3 finals games and had less impact than what he did during the season.

He's also 31, so age will start to play a factor in his form. I'm not asking for him to be dropped, not even close, but we can't expect him to produce at the same level indefinitely. That's not irrational, it's a fact of life.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’m quietly hoping that Timoko is Sticky’s pet project for the year and we see him emerge as starting centre!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 19, 2020, 3:58 pm Apart from his last couple of games Whitehead was literally one of our best this year.

I am putting this in the basket of strange and irrational calls along with the criticism of CNK.

We have actual issues to address before even remotely considering Whitehead as one of them; namely our outside backs and Hodgson's return from 2x ACL's.
Nothing irrational about it. He's been outstanding this year then his form dropped off a cliff in the finals. Ignoring that this occurred is more along the lines of irrational.