Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Team for next year

Post by GreenMachine »

I’ll tell you what... this might be the last time the Storm are hanging around the minor premiership chase.

We need to be that side next season.

There’s every indication that Covid measures will be in place next season so top 2 becomes increasingly valuable..

I see our side as that Cowboys side who seemed to fall at the last hurdle only to overcome and win it all...

I reckon we have it in us, we just need to figure out what to do with the backs and rotate our forwards through the year.

Got to figure out how to get that ball to shift to our edges much sharper in attack and use speed as a weapon... that’s going to take a combination of personnel change and time in the lab over summer.
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Colk »

I worry that Stuart will pick Croker and Scott (the future rep according to that sage Andrew Johns) in the centres next year. Valemei whilst improving would also be a concern and Rapana is struggling a little bit as well

I think Rapana and Scott scored two tries and Croker five this year. You need 2-3 backs scoring 10 tries or more to win a comp and we are far off from that.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Corey Horsburgh
16. Emre Guler
17. Soliola/James/Sutton/Lui - whoever the coach picks of the veterans I'm happy. I have a slight concern Horsburgh may regress next season, not sure why - just a feeling - so we may even see two of the veterans make the cut.

When Hodgo can play 80 minutes I think we may see Rapana move to 14 if Valemei, HSS or Scott are playing well enough to snag a spot in the team.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2020, 7:27 pm 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Corey Horsburgh
16. Emre Guler
17. Soliola/James/Sutton/Lui - whoever the coach picks of the veterans I'm happy. I have a slight concern Horsburgh may regress next season, not sure why - just a feeling - so we may even see two of the veterans make the cut.

When Hodgo can play 80 minutes I think we may see Rapana move to 14 if Valemei, HSS or Scott are playing well enough to snag a spot in the team.
I think this is how we’ll line up injuries aside...
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

afgtnk wrote: October 17, 2020, 6:45 pm I think goal kicking can be the only thing keeping him there if we're looking purely at form and ability. He's not bringing enough to the table without it, and that's taking into consideration his experience.

Personally I value a high percentage goal kicker quite highly, and they don't exactly grow on trees in the game. George Williams has kicked before, but he's got an ordinary kicking percentage and was only ever a backup kicker in the ESL. There doesn't seem to be anyone else capable of kicking at least 75%, which to me is the minimum required to drop Croker.

The issue here is IMO that whilst we can probably carry a guy who's become a passenger like Croker, we can't carry three of them, albeit at a wage no longer befitting his ability or the importance of the position (arguably never befitting his ability). To me, the trade off of not having an 80% kicker isn't worth it for a better centre, as there aren't really many good left centres running around anyway.
I agree, Williams at the moment is a 65% backup kicker. We really didn’t realise how lucky we were with Sezer as a backup.

But it’s the end of the season. We really need to hire Halligan over the summer to give George an intensive kicking lesson.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

With the overwhelming support here for either Timoko or HSS to be in the side, why was Ricky picking semi and instead putting Rapa (a winger) in the centres?

Not questioning him, just suggesting there must have a been a reason. Especially obvious given the fact that a few weeks back he actually names Timoko in 4, then last minute put Valemei in. I think against the roosters during the season.

It was a tad unusual. Could it be attitude? I don't recall Ricky being questioned on it.
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Colk »

Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2020, 7:27 pm 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Corey Horsburgh
16. Emre Guler

I think that is close to what Ricky will pick. He’ll pick Curtis Scott though as well as possibly Valemei although I think any one of three or four players could get that spot

I just get the feeling that as a fairly conservative coach he’ll back those players on bigger contracts - it is always a big decision to drop a bloke on a bigger contract and they are both signed up for another 3-4 years. I would disagree with that move as I don’t see any strikepower
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I don't think it's just about "bigger contracts". It's also about experience. He has a history of favouring first graders out of position instead of bringing in juniors. The best thing about those young guys in 2021 is they are a legitimate threat. Ricky can drop players as he has done in the past, and we will still win games.

With your guys like Ryan James though you do have to give your investment fair time to find his feet. If you weren't going to provide that opportunity you would never have made the signing.

I think we're all a little more comfortable with CHN for next year as well. He didn't just defend well in the storm game he looked dangerous. Looking forward to seeing how his fitness is after a proper pre-season with a starting second row spot up for grabs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: October 17, 2020, 6:48 pm We need to stop believing our expectations should be capped at the preliminary finals.
Yep.
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Colk »

zim wrote: October 17, 2020, 8:13 pm I don't think it's just about "bigger contracts". It's also about experience. He has a history of favouring first graders out of position instead of bringing in juniors. The best thing about those young guys in 2021 is they are a legitimate threat. Ricky can drop players as he has done in the past, and we will still win games.

With your guys like Ryan James though you do have to give your investment fair time to find his feet. If you weren't going to provide that opportunity you would never have made the signing.

I think we're all a little more comfortable with CHN for next year as well. He didn't just defend well in the storm game he looked dangerous. Looking forward to seeing how his fitness is after a proper pre-season with a starting second row spot up for grabs.
I see what you are saying. I have no problem with Ryan James; if he stays fit, he is quality.

I think there should be a balance and there needs to be a certain ruthlessness in order to be successful. Penrith with Dean Whare is a good example; he is an experienced player on a fairly big contract (over $400k apparently) but he hasn’t been sighted in first grade this year because other younger players would do and have been doing a better job. We may need to make a quick a similar decisions with Croker and Rapana
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

GreenMachine wrote: October 17, 2020, 6:48 pm We need to stop believing our expectations should be capped at the preliminary finals.

With this forward pack depth and our halves we need to be making the GF and winning one.

In order to do that, we need some tough decisions around the configuration of our 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Otherwise, we’re pretty much capped at a preliminarily final level and basically never really good enough to win it all.
Your in for a tough life my friend.

Sometimes u are good enough to win it but the cookie doesn’t crumble for you.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah I agree you need some ruthlessness but your first graders are pretty much guaranteed to start the year if you've got a stable system with a long term coach.
In Whare's case he played the first 7 rounds.

I think if we have a poor first month you'll see some changes. There's just too much depth there not to see movement.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Whare also has the problem of sucking significant levels of ****.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: October 17, 2020, 8:13 pm I don't think it's just about "bigger contracts". It's also about experience. He has a history of favouring first graders out of position instead of bringing in juniors. The best thing about those young guys in 2021 is they are a legitimate threat. Ricky can drop players as he has done in the past, and we will still win games.

What CHN showed was what he used to show for Dogs and Penrif. That's his usual standard. I think we underestimated just how down and out he was without a club at all to train with. By his own admission he spent a few weeks just depressed and drinking, forget about training or being healthy. Jordy Raps was training with a professional rugby team in a big money league and STILL took 2 months to get up to speed. CHN was down and out and alone for about 5-6 months.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

papabear wrote: October 17, 2020, 8:32 pm

With this forward pack depth and our halves we need to be making the GF and winning one.

In order to do that, we need some tough decisions around the configuration of our 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Otherwise, we’re pretty much capped at a preliminarily final level and basically never really good enough to win it all.
Your in for a tough life my friend.

Sometimes u are good enough to win it but the cookie doesn’t crumble for you.
I completely agree and losing Hodgson and our middles early this season was an example of that.

But, we’re not helping ourselves next season if we think waiting for rotten luck to surpass is the only thing standing in our way from a premiership.

Our backline needs work.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah fair point on CHN there. I was just hoping for more, faster having seen what he's done previously.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Roosters get knocked out in Week 2 and they immediately make tough calls on their squad. The Raiders need to be as ruthless.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:14 pm The Roosters get knocked out in Week 2 and they immediately make tough calls on their squad. The Raiders need to be as ruthless.
I agree. What ruthless decisions would you personally make? What about you other forum members?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

So we're going to cut our rookie halfback too? That's hardly a tough call. If they dropped Jake Friend, that would be a tough call.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:14 pm The Roosters get knocked out in Week 2 and the immediately make tough calls on their squad. The Raiders need to be as ruthless.
I agree. What ruthless decisions would you personally make? What about you other forum members?
I’d be shipping Croker, Rapana and Scott.
Promote Timoko in front of Valemei.
Scout / recruit an outside back. Hell, if Dean Whare is sick of doing nothing in Penrith I’d be making that call.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:14 pm The Roosters get knocked out in Week 2 and the immediately make tough calls on their squad. The Raiders need to be as ruthless.
the roosters are very ruthless and it's served them very well over the years... but lets also appreciate the guy they've told to hit the bricks isnt actually someone who matters to them. It's a kid they signed 12 months ago, who didnt pan out and who they think they've got better options for

I've been a fan from afar of Cordner and JWH for many years... thsoe guys have been stalwarts of that club for years, but they are absolutely washed at this point.. and maybe they'll be moved on, certainly they have form there, but at this stage, they're going down on a few ships themselves.

The human element exists even for them
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:14 pm The Roosters get knocked out in Week 2 and they immediately make tough calls on their squad. The Raiders need to be as ruthless.
I don’t think Rapana was first grade quality in the final stages of the season. Performance or selection out of position, I’m not entirely sure. Croker will need to pull up his socks, quickly. We have strong, young outside backs coming through and, with Cotric moving on, a couple of them they should be given opportunities next year.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:24 pm
the roosters are very ruthless and it's served them very well over the years... but lets also appreciate the guy they've told to hit the bricks isnt actually someone who matters to them. It's a kid they signed 12 months ago, who didnt pan out and who they think they've got better options for

I've been a fan from afar of Cordner and JWH for many years... thsoe guys have been stalwarts of that club for years... and maybe they'll be moved on, certainly they have form there, but at this stage, they're going down on a few ships themselves.

The human element exists even for them
Roosters will have Radley and Verills back next season.
Agree If I’m a a Roosters fan I’d be watching Cordner closely in the coming season because I don’t think he’ll play much longer. He’s done it all and collecting brain damage as a pension isn’t worth hanging around longer in the game.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

GreenMachine wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:23 pm
Scout / recruit an outside back. Hell, if Dean Whare is sick of doing nothing in Penrith I’d be making that call.
Moving 3 players and adding a penalty to your cap (even if you just moved croker you'd be paying freight) and the signing you're making is Dean Whare.... time to switch to the waters.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Wiki Special wrote:
If we’re being ruthless the forum probably has to cut some big names like botman or gergreg. We’ve already shown we’re willing to cut to meet the cap with groundskeer willy released mid season.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:29 pm
Moving 3 players and adding a penalty to your cap (even if you just moved croker you'd be paying freight) and the signing you're making is Dean Whare.... time to switch to the waters.
Forget the waters
get this man in rehab

Ship out a ton of money, eat salary to have Dean goddamn Whare playing centre
Good grief
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:36 pm
zim wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:29 pm
Forget the waters
get this man in rehab

Ship out a ton of money, eat salary to have Dean goddamn Whare playing centre
Good grief
It wouldn’t make any sense. Dean Whare is no better than Croker or Scott. I’d actually argue that he is definitely worse than Croker.

Whare has scored 8 tries in his last 66 games as a centre ...heck imagine if one of our backs had that strike rate.

In saying that, in an ideal world I’d probably agree with moving on Scott and Croker but seeing the length of their contracts that will be difficult to do; at least for both. I would think it would be much easier to move on Scott because of his age and I could see somebody like the Cowboys snapping him up. Croker will be very difficult because of his age and his purported contract value

We definitely do need to run with HSS and Timoko and one other young back be it Simonnson, Valemei, Aekins, Niko or whoever just to give our backline some much needed punch and enthusiasm
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
Wiki Special wrote:
If we’re being ruthless the forum probably has to cut some big names like botman or gergreg. We’ve already shown we’re willing to cut to meet the cap with groundskeer willy released mid season.
Those two boofheads are hardly big names, 6 and 7 letters respectively.

I think there needs to be a succession plan for some of the backs. If Croker, Rapana and Scott aren't pulling their weight early next year then the young bucks need a chance. It's critical that a second tier comp is played so they have an opportunity to push for selection.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Croker is !@#$
Valemi is !@#$
Scott is !@#$
Rapana is !@#$

Get rid of them
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

As far as I'm aware no NRL club has ever shown interest in stealing Croker from us.

When he's due for contract talks he sits down with the club and signs his name.

He's heading to SL if he were to leave.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 17, 2020, 11:36 pm Croker is !@#$
Valemi is !@#$
Scott is !@#$
Rapana is !@#$

Get rid of them
Bit harsh on Semi..

I like him, he has promise.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Don’t @ me about Croker next season.
You make the tough call and you eat the cap.
Rapana should be strictly Wing or possibly 14 if we’re not carrying a hooker on the bench.
Valemei....thanks for the memories.
Scott ...see Valemei.

As for who you recruit?
Ideally that’s Staggs...but thats not happening.

Or, continue to waste this forward pack and halves on reaching the preliminary finals because we’re too good to drop out of the 8 and too poor to do any better.

I’ll also add, next season wont carry the GF loss motivation that pretty much fuelled us this season...
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

I don't think there is anyone I would be moving on just yet. There are a few however, who need to find some form early next season and fast for them to have a spot in the team.

I want to see Scott after an uninterrupted pre season and season (self inflicted) before writing him off.

Croker has had a poor season but has been one of the most consistent centres in comp for years so for mine he gets at least 10 rounds to turn his form around.

Rapana similar to Croker he is ageing and didn't have a pre season if he can regain his form his experience is valuable on the wing although he does need to regain some speed to hold his spot.

Sami improved significantly and he is a stronger runner than Simmonson but I don't think either have enough runs on the board to own the wing spot.

I feel like both wing spots are up for grabs for whoever shows up in pre season.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

1. CNK locked in.
2. I’m not sold on Simmo, hasn’t impressed me so far but at this stage is safer than Valemi, so Simmo for me.
3. Croker will be there but he’s lost me after the last few weeks, especially after that weak attempted tackle on Vunivalu. Brenko even pushed him back 10 metres. Big problem going forward. Terry Campese level problem.
4. I’m hoping Timoko but Ricky will probably start with Scott.
5. Rapana but I think he’s past it too.

The forwards sort themselves out.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Honestly the semi hate on this thread is getting way out of control he has one bad game against the dragons.

He was the only one who didn’t look slow verse the storm and he has improved each game to where he is starting to get some X factor about him.

Rapana played like a bum, that’s not valemis fault, Ricky probably should have had timoko or hss in there instead of rapana.. or for me I would have put cotric to the centre’s.

But either way valemi on the wing is one position that is improving for us...