2020 Dally M Medal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2020 Dally M Medal

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton prominent in Dally M Medal conversation

Star Raider Jack Wighton has emerged as a genuine Dally M Medal contender after a stirring NRL season which has left the Green Machine just 80 minutes away from a second-straight grand final. The in-form five-eighth had collected 10 points by round 12 before voting went behind closed doors. That had him in seventh spot on the list, three points behind surprise early leader Harry Grant.

"When you get your outside life right and your footy gets better and I think that's really relevant to me.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL.com views: 2020 Dally M Medal winner: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/14/exp ... al-winner/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Semi Valemei: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... i-valemei/

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Storm: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... s-v-storm/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Can a Canberra Raiders player take the 2020 Dally M Medal?

Post by greeneyed »

I thought the NRL had backed away from the idea of retrospectively removing the six point penalty on Nathan Cleary, due to his match suspensions at the start of the season! That story from the NRL.com "experts" suggests they've gone ahead with the call.

What a crock! What makes the NRL thinks it is OK, to change the rules like that?! He was suspended for a very good reason. And then we decide to reward the bloke!?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Well to be fair, the Dally M is not a credible reflection of relative performance. Have a look at the voters for it. As I'm sure you have done.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Penalty aside. Nathan Cleary has been the best player in the NRL this season.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Keep punchin JackyBoi..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Dusty wrote:Penalty aside. Nathan Cleary has been the best player in the NRL this season.
Hard disagree. He'll likely win it though.

Unfortunately I think Jack will find himself sharing too many points with players like Papa to win it.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Dusty wrote: October 14, 2020, 7:14 pm Penalty aside. Nathan Cleary has been the best player in the NRL this season.
I agree.

Granted, he has played alongside a number of players dominating in their position.

And I really thought he'd fall of a cliff without maloney.

But the things he's done to win matches have been brilliant.

I find Penrith really annoying but Clearly is player of the year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cleary has obviously had a great season. However, he also brought the game into considerable disrepute, even put the game’s resumption at serious risk. He was banned for a reason. And not only that misled the NRL. The NRL simply shouldn’t be bending rules like this. If he wins despite the standard points deduction, fine.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

How many other players have lost points in the past for off field indiscretions?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Bay53 wrote: October 14, 2020, 10:15 pm How many other players have lost points in the past for off field indiscretions?
All of them?
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2020, 9:58 pm Cleary has obviously had a great season. However, he also brought the game into considerable disrepute, even put the game’s resumption at serious risk. He was banned for a reason. And not only that misled the NRL. The NRL simply shouldn’t be bending rules like this. If he wins despite the standard points deduction, fine.
Agreed again.

He is a doofus, that's for sure.

And should lose the standard points.

Although apparently nrl has sprung the old mid season change of mind on that one.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 14, 2020, 10:40 pm
Bay53 wrote: October 14, 2020, 10:15 pm How many other players have lost points in the past for off field indiscretions?
All of them?
Have they? How many points did Jack lose in 2018 when he was suspended for 10 games?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

This is what was quoted in the media on 28 September.

"Consistent with previous seasons, players will only be deducted Dally M points for on-field suspensions handed down by the match review committee or judiciary," an NRL spokesman said.

I don’t think anyone is saying he shouldn’t have been banned. In fact, there was a strong argument that the ban should have been longer, particularly after he lied about it. However it was never going to cost him points in the Dally M. Of course he might have otherwise played and got votes in those game he missed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL stated earlier in the year that Nathan Cleary was going to receive a six points deduction (three for each week's suspension). They then changed that position, indicating that they didn't make a deduction last year for Payne Haas. They should have done, in both cases. The NRL actually got it right with their first announcement.

The Dally M Award should take account of a person's standing in the game, on and off the field. The old Best and Fairest Award used to disqualify a player entirely if they were suspended. The points deduction system has more recently been applied in the Dally M Award to more fairly penalise players for suspensions in terms of the award. Saying that match suspensions for off field indiscretions should not produce points deductions, while suspensions for on field suspensions should, is ridiculous.

It appears that the NRL are going to "review it in the off season", presumably along with all the other stuff they want to ignore, put on the back burner.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You gotta stop getting yourself worked up over every little thing, GE. You'll put yourself in an early grave!
Very few people actually gives a **** about the Dally M's. The judges are frequently giving points to their friends/connections, big name players whether they performed or not, and in many cases IMO, the person giving the points out have only barely watched the game and probably just the highlights.
They can give the award to whoever, the award lost it's prestige a long, long time ago.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 14, 2020, 7:13 pm Well to be fair, the Dally M is not a credible reflection of relative performance. Have a look at the voters for it. As I'm sure you have done.
Yep. Voting process is deeply flawed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman telling me not to get worked up... :hmmm :)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman is a muppet with a weird obsession for Ben Cross.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: October 15, 2020, 8:44 am Botman is a muppet with a weird obsession for Ben Cross.
I dont see what's weird about it
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 15, 2020, 8:23 am Botman telling me not to get worked up... :hmmm :)
No one, not even me at my surliest moments, in GH history can muster outrage about absolutely non events quite like you, friend.
Exhibit A - This thread.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: October 15, 2020, 8:47 am
greeneyed wrote: October 15, 2020, 8:23 am Botman telling me not to get worked up... :hmmm :)
No one, not even me at my surliest moments, in GH history can muster outrage about absolutely non events quite like you, friend.
Exhibit A - This thread.
:lol:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The problem with rules, is that you have to be able to enforce them.

The Dally M is a football award, it makes no judgement of a persons character off the field, neither did any previous best and fairest award. Yes you were ineligible to win the award if you belted anyone on the field, but if you went home and belted your wife after every game, there was no penalty.

If you have off-field suspensions count, what time period do you use? Is Jack Wighton still ineligible because he had a very serious misdemeanour some years ago. One would suggest not, but if you are going to have this rule, presumably it needs to cover the whole of the contract year which is from 1 November to 31 October, so if someone does something wrong this week, does that reduce their points? What happens if something comes to light in the coming months that a player did during the 2020 season, does the medal get taken off them?

The reality is Cleary missed two games because of his suspension, something that in a 20 game season reduces his chance of winning considerably. I don't think you need to punish him another six points. Lets assume he is five points clear and then loses six and someone else wins - makes a bit of a mockery of the award.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bring back the Rothman's Medal I say.

Nothing resonates more clearly in an elite sporting context than an award created to promote an addictive, cancer-causing performance inhibiting product.

AND it was voted for by the referees. Perfect!

Imagine winning the Winfield Cup/Rothman's Medal double like Allan Langer in 1992...proudly wearing his Powers Bitter sponsored jersey.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: October 15, 2020, 8:46 am
Azza wrote: October 15, 2020, 8:44 am Botman is a muppet with a weird obsession for Ben Cross.
Agreed. Storm by 42.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 15, 2020, 9:52 am Bring back the Rothman's Medal I say.

Nothing resonates more clearly in an elite sporting context than an award created to promote an addictive, cancer-causing performance inhibiting product.

Imagine winning the Winfield Cup/Rothman's Medal double like Allan Langer in 1992...proudly wearing his Powers Bitter sponsored jersey.
The reasons why the Rothmans medal no longer exists are obvious but why was a decision taken to go away from an award voted on by the refs?

As I understand it, the Dally M was set up by the Daily Mirror and was a pretty minor award in the 80s and 90s. The laws about tobacco sponsorship came in about the same time as Super League and when the comps came back together it was probably a nod to News Corp that meant the Dally M became the main award.

There are all sorts of good reasons why the refs / umpires shouldn’t be the ones giving the votes but the reality is the Dally M holds no where near the prestige that the Brownlow has to the AFL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: October 15, 2020, 9:59 am
Botman wrote: October 15, 2020, 8:46 am
Agreed. Storm by 42.
Yep. Season over aye.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: October 15, 2020, 10:32 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 15, 2020, 9:52 am Bring back the Rothman's Medal I say.

The reasons why the Rothmans medal no longer exists are obvious but why was a decision taken to go away from an award voted on by the refs?

As I understand it, the Dally M was set up by the Daily Mirror and was a pretty minor award in the 80s and 90s. The laws about tobacco sponsorship came in about the same time as Super League and when the comps came back together it was probably a nod to News Corp that meant the Dally M became the main award.

There are all sorts of good reasons why the refs / umpires shouldn’t be the ones giving the votes but the reality is the Dally M holds no where near the prestige that the Brownlow has to the AFL.
That is true. The Brownlow obviously has that longstanding tradition going for it and while there are some obvious issues with umpires officiating the game as well as determining who is best and fairest on field, the AFL has at least got the advantage of having 3 field umpires which all have their say on who gets the points each game.

The Dally M's can be a bit of a joke, but I do like this year's change of naming a full 13 man side as the team of the year.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 15, 2020, 12:42 pm

That is true. The Brownlow obviously has that longstanding tradition going for it and while there are some obvious issues with umpires officiating the game as well as determining who is best and fairest on field, the AFL has at least got the advantage of having 3 field umpires which all have their say on who gets the points each game.

The Dally M's can be a bit of a joke, but I do like this year's change of naming a full 13 man side as the team of the year.
Totally agree with your point of the team of the year. It should have always been that way.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Or at least it should have been this way in the modern era. There is an argument to say in years past that the team of the year was the one that went on Kangaroo tours. Now with so many foreign players in the NRL it is arguably much harder to make the NRL team of the year than the Australian side.

Is the team of the year going to be picked on merit or will it be who gets the most Dally M votes in each position? In my opinion that is a silly way of doing it and was why someone like Leilua was centre of the year.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Back in the 70s the VFL only had one umpire, so it was totally their opinion. They still seemed to mostly get it right. I can't remember when they went to 2 and then 3 umpires. And of course there's the issue that prior to the AFL, the Sandover Medal and the other one (can't remember which pointless State had which) should have been of equal status. (Put Koch in the ring against Maguire...).

Dally M's are equally stupid. So is the Ballon D'Or. And the Oscars and Golden Globes. All awards are ****shows. Only player voted awards mean that much - though I guess any Raider would take a Dally M.

And as for the Immortals, selling Rugby League Week port is surely right up there with the Nobel Prize. Though come to think of it... I repeat my prevuious statement about awards.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 15, 2020, 7:21 pm

Back in the 70s the VFL only had one umpire, so it was totally their opinion. They still seemed to mostly get it right. I can't remember when they went to 2 and then 3 umpires. And of course there's the issue that prior to the AFL, the Sandover Medal and the other one (can't remember which pointless State had which) should have been of equal status. (Put Koch in the ring against Maguire...).

Dally M's are equally stupid. So is the Ballon D'Or. And the Oscars and Golden Globes. All awards are ****shows. Only player voted awards mean that much - though I guess any Raider would take a Dally M.

And as for the Immortals, selling Rugby League Week port is surely right up there with the Nobel Prize. Though come to think of it... I repeat my prevuious statement about awards.
Yeah, they're all a bit of a wankfest. The Brownlow has had a few controversies over the years, but they generally seem to go according to script. There's no perfect system, however a player voted award would probably be the one most cherished.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Dally M Medal

Post by The Greenhouse »

As usual, we will cover tonight’s Dally M Medal... right here in this thread.

Live coverage on Fox League of the lead up to the ceremony on NRL 360 and then the ceremony from 7:30pm.

NRL.com is airing a special Dally M preview episode of Inside the NRL at 6pm EDT. Several awards will be announced on the show including the Try of the Year and Tackle of the Year.

Dally M Medal Leaderboard as it stood after Round 12:

Harry Grant (Wests Tigers) - 13
Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm) - 12
Clint Gutherson (Parramatta Eels) - 12
Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland Cowboys) - 11
Shaun Johnson (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks) - 11
Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers) - 11
Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders) – 10
Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers) - 9
Matt Dufty (St George Illawarra Dragons) - 9
Tom Trbojevic (Manly Sea Eagles) - 9

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/18/cle ... n-dally-m/
Last edited by The Greenhouse on October 19, 2020, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Jack Wighton will be one of the few players attending the Dally M Awards tonight... and will be on Inside the NRL on NRL.com shortly: https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/inside-the ... m-special/
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

DALLY M AWARDS

TACKLE OF THE YEAR

Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)

for his ankle tap on Jamal Fogarty in the clash with the Gold Coast Titans.

TRY OF THE YEAR

Kotoni Staggs (Brisbane Broncos)

for his try in the Round 15 clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"HARD EARNED" PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Tohu Harros (New Zealand Warriors) and Jake Trbojevic (Manly Sea Eagles)
Last edited by The Greenhouse on October 19, 2020, 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

NRLW AWARDS

NRLW TRY OF THE YEAR

Madison Bartlett (New Zealand Warriors)

NRLW TACKLE OF THE YEAR

Hannah Southwell (Sydney Roosters)

NRLW ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Kennedy Cherrington (Sydney Roosters)
Last edited by The Greenhouse on October 19, 2020, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.