Storm 13+
5%

Total votes: 19

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2020 Finals Week 3 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: October 13, 2020, 4:19 pm If only we listened to the experts on the GH, the Raiders would have won 10 premierships by now.
Yeah well we didn't and what do we have to show for it. Complete lack of premierships. :x
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Daley to lock, McFadden and McLinden at 7-6 and we will arrive at the promised land, folks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rivers of redemption have Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young where he's longed to be

Hudson Young's football is finally doing the talking, not his past dates with the judiciary.

"And that's where I wanted to get to," Young said. "I'm not too worried about my past now. I'm comfortable with it. It was my mistake, and I owned them. I'm comfortable playing anywhere and I like having that utility role of playing back row or middle. In the long-run I'd prefer back row but we've got some world-class ones here so I'm happy to sit behind them and learn."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/13/riv ... ged-to-be/

The hospital scares that led Raiders trio to reject flu vaccine

On the eve of their return to Queensland for the grand final qualifier against the Storm, Josh Papalii, Joseph Tapine and Sia Soliola stressed they were not staging an orchestrated campaign against the flu vaccine.

"I knew my history and my family’s history," he said. "I just can’t get it. What people read and what people watch, it’s not a big deal to me for them not to understand why I don’t get it," Josh Papalii said.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-ho ... 564cp.html

The NRL player who didn't do weights: How Raiders star Joe Tapine finally raised bar

In the midst of an injury crisis this year, Ricky Stuart asked two of his remaining middle forwards, Josh Papalii and Joseph Tapine, to speak to him. His message was simple: you guys have to carry this team in the engine room and drive the standards for everyone else. For Tapine, Canberra's strength and conditioning staff wanted something else: for him to do some weights.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-nr ... 564lm.html

VIDEO: Papenhuyzen eager to face former junior teammate, Tom Starling: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/13/pap ... -teammate/

VIDEO: Raiders expect Munster to play: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/13/rai ... r-to-play/
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Finally, some Hudson River jokes.

He's definitely matured a lot and hats off to him.

If you're looking for a place to watch the game, well, Gungahlin Raiders is booked out. (I booked my table for this Friday as I was leaving last Friday because I figured it would happen :lol: )
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting that Young prefers the back row. He's certainly relished the opportunity to get stuck into the middle.

Either way, he's a real asset either starting or giving us flexibility off the bench.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-PJ- wrote:Ashley Klein again..nice.

We are 7/12 under Ash.
Was 6/12 last week no?
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Bj Leilua provided that miracle play last prelim. You feel that this game will be separated by that one miracle play again, who’s it going to be this time? I’m Going wighton to get us home..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-PJ- wrote:Gould, Buzz, Rabs should be thrown in a tinny and set adrift..

Anyone else ?

It's a big tinny.
This should have its own thread.

Can’t believe no one’s put Cummins in so far that I noticed.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2020, 5:50 pm Rivers of redemption have Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young where he's longed to be

Hudson Young's football is finally doing the talking, not his past dates with the judiciary.

"And that's where I wanted to get to," Young said. "I'm not too worried about my past now. I'm comfortable with it. It was my mistake, and I owned them. I'm comfortable playing anywhere and I like having that utility role of playing back row or middle. In the long-run I'd prefer back row but we've got some world-class ones here so I'm happy to sit behind them and learn."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/13/riv ... ged-to-be/
You a middle Hudson. Play to your strengths.

Put on a bit more size to boost your dint in the line and post contact, keep out of that gouging business, and you'll have a very decent career.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and Elliott Whitehead as the Green Machine prepares for their Preliminary Final clash against the Melbourne Storm. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/h6cN50BQU5B

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker and forward Elliott Whitehead speak about their clash with the Storm in Brisbane on Friday night. Nine News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/VOMB50BQUq0

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLStormRaiders #NRLFinals
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: October 13, 2020, 6:41 pm

Put on a bit more size to boost your dint in the line and post contact, keep out of that gouging business, and you'll have a very decent career.
Yes indeed.
Look i've been wrong about him already in that i didnt see this level of play in him, so maybe he'd prove me wrong again but Hudson needs to sit down in the off season and watch his highlights tape and mark off each massive play against what role he was playing...

IMO he can carve out a solid but unspectacular 150 games as an edge if he likes... or he could commit to being a middle and have a real crack at being a dynamic impact player, and based on what i've seen so far as a middle, he's a pillar of our pack moving forward, someone we'd be building around along with Tarps, Hors and Guler. And he's got genuine rep footy potential
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2020, 6:29 pm
-PJ- wrote:Gould, Buzz, Rabs should be thrown in a tinny and set adrift..

Anyone else ?

It's a big tinny.
This should have its own thread.

Can’t believe no one’s put Cummins in so far that I noticed.
Throw the one eyed flog Brandy in there also
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2020, 6:28 pm
-PJ- wrote:Ashley Klein again..nice.

We are 7/12 under Ash.
Was 6/12 last week no?
I remember hearing before last Friday's kickoff we were 6/12 under Klein.

So beating the Rooters has us 7/12.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Gotta add one to the bottom too PJ. 7/13.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2020, 7:33 pm Gotta add one to the bottom too PJ. 7/13.
Damn gangers, that's plenty dumb from me..

7/13. :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: October 13, 2020, 7:06 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 13, 2020, 6:41 pm

Yes indeed.
Look i've been wrong about him already in that i didnt see this level of play in him, so maybe he'd prove me wrong again but Hudson needs to sit down in the off season and watch his highlights tape and mark off each massive play against what role he was playing...

IMO he can carve out a solid but unspectacular 150 games as an edge if he likes... or he could commit to being a middle and have a real crack at being a dynamic impact player, and based on what i've seen so far as a middle, he's a pillar of our pack moving forward, someone we'd be building around along with Tarps, Hors and Guler. And he's got genuine rep footy potential
Im happy for him to develop more as an edge player at his current size and continue to play in the middle, if that makes sense. Hes so dynamic in the current role because of his mobility and i wouldnt want him to put on size and lose that.
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-PJ- wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2020, 7:33 pm Gotta add one to the bottom too PJ. 7/13.
Damn gangers, that's plenty dumb from me..

7/13. :)
Hopefully 8/14 by Saturday Image
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Few things I think we should focus on against storm -
1. Like tedesco if your gna rush up on pap - make the tackle.
2. Target vunivalu in attack as he likes to jam in.
3. Kick for touch at end of sets to reduce chances of their speedy back 3 counter-attacking.
4. Quick line speed on their big men.
5. Don't fall for Munsters dummy.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ryan Sutton smokescreen. I'm calling it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:Ryan Sutton smokescreen. I'm calling it.

For who though?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: October 13, 2020, 9:08 pm
T_R wrote:Ryan Sutton smokescreen. I'm calling it.

For who though?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Really only would "make sense" for Sia- but he was coming along nicely. Sure Sutton deserves a gig, karmically. But for impact, I want CHN. Sutton and Sia share/compete for that grinder/worker gig.

For the record, I think Sutton is just along for the ride this week.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

radicalraider wrote: October 13, 2020, 8:30 pm Few things I think we should focus on against storm -
1. Like tedesco if your gna rush up on pap - make the tackle.
2. Target vunivalu in attack as he likes to jam in.
3. Kick for touch at end of sets to reduce chances of their speedy back 3 counter-attacking.
4. Quick line speed on their big men.
5. Don't fall for Munsters dummy.
I think you kick to Vunivalu as he is the least nimble kick returner and it takes him away from the powerful ruck one run, maybe forcing Paps (small) or Brenko (loose) into it. Neither as good a yard maker either on R1.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

His name doesnt get thrown as much as it should, but Elliot Whitehead plays with pride
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

jimmy82 wrote: October 13, 2020, 6:28 pm Bj Leilua provided that miracle play last prelim. You feel that this game will be separated by that one miracle play again, who’s it going to be this time? I’m Going wighton to get us home..
J82, I just need to pick up on this as I was thinking about it today in the context of Tapine stepping up this season.

The massive play in that sequence was Tapine absolutely nailing Addo-Carr, who spilt the pill coming off his line. There's no Bateman try if Taps doesn't put everything into that tackle. For mine, it was a real indicator on how much Tapine gives to us when he is on song. That tackle won us the QF against Melbourne.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:
jimmy82 wrote: October 13, 2020, 6:28 pm Bj Leilua provided that miracle play last prelim. You feel that this game will be separated by that one miracle play again, who’s it going to be this time? I’m Going wighton to get us home..
J82, I just need to pick up on this as I was thinking about it today in the context of Tapine stepping up this season.

The massive play in that sequence was Tapine absolutely nailing Addo-Carr, who spilt the pill coming off his line. There's no Bateman try if Taps doesn't put everything into that tackle. For mine, it was a real indicator on how much Tapine gives to us when he is on song. That tackle won us the QF against Melbourne.
yes but Beej still had the nous to turn Batty under

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think the game plan will and should be pretty simple. Punch through the guts with short (and lots of inside) passing same as last week to try and tire NAS and co. Even if Finucane returns because he’ll be short of a trot too.

And then in attack keep going left and putting pressure on Brenko Lee and Suliasi Vunivalu to make decisions in defence. Both of those players are talented but I’d take a lot of convincing to be swayed away from thinking they’re not the 2 dumbest players in the competition.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: October 14, 2020, 4:55 am
Seiffert82 wrote:

Yep, not saying it wasn't a good play - just that we don't get a chance to attack them in a broken field situation on their tryline if Tapine doesn't make that hit on Addo-Carr.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

BJ might have won us that game but he also lost us the GF 😥
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by jimmy82 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2020, 9:17 pm

Fair call. It will need to be a real team effort, but one great individual play will be the difference between the two teams I feel.
Their full back scares me though, so much speed!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

jimmy82 wrote: October 14, 2020, 7:27 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2020, 9:17 pm

Fair call. It will need to be a real team effort, but one great individual play will be the difference between the two teams I feel.
Their full back scares me though, so much speed!
Yeah, agreed. Both Leuilua and Bateman made the perfect play in that situation. It was a real team effort.

That's what I like about this side. Hodgo goes down and (IMO) Bateman has had a pretty average season, obviously impacted by injury. Despite that, we've had guys like Papa and Tapine take their games to a new level, while Wighton and Williams are really starting to click as a genuine halves combo. The new guys like Young, Starling and Valemei have also stepped up and given it a real crack. I'm also loving what CNK, Whitehead and Lui are bringing every week.

I don't know how the game on Friday is going to go, but I have a pretty good idea that this team will work together to give it everything they have. That's all I can ever ask.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Crusader wrote: October 13, 2020, 9:17 pm His name doesnt get thrown as much as it should, but Elliot Whitehead plays with pride
Totally agree mate. I;ve made a few posts over the years where I say that in terms of the club turnaround, Elliot has been arguably as influential as Hodgo. He's the embodiment of a team first, do every 1%er right kind of effort player, then you layer a great footy brain and skills on top. Just count the amount of loose balls he swoops on in a season- that about sums him up, smart enough to be anticipating the right spot, always making the effort to get there just in case and good enough hands to grab the bloody thing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: October 14, 2020, 4:55 am
Seiffert82 wrote:

Or did Batty have the nous to bank it all on an angled run in, instead of sliding out waiting for BJ to do something?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Both. BJ was trying to set Bateman up but Bateman had the smarts to read what was going on and switch his direction at the last second.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Both players were presented with an opportunity and they executed it perfectly in tandem. One doesn't happen without the other.

Tapine was the one who provided the "miracle". Game was effectively over as Storm only needed to close it out. He caused the turnover that created the try.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:Both players were presented with an opportunity and they executed it perfectly in tandem. One doesn't happen without the other.

Tapine was the one who provided the "miracle". Game was effectively over as Storm only needed to close it out. He caused the turnover that created the try.
Not to be forgotten in the play, Lui flew off our line which opened up Addo Carr for Tapine’s excellent hit to force the ball loose.