Sam Williams being targeted by Wakefield Trinity

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Sam Williams being targeted by Wakefield Trinity

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders half Sam Williams reportedly targeted by Wakefield Trinity

Wakefield’s recruitment is largely aimed at securing a halfback, with Canberra and former Trinity playmaker Sam Williams in their sights.

Trinity are understood to have offered the 29-year-old a six-figure package to return to the club to be its leading playmaker.

Read more: https://www.totalrl.com/green-set-to-leave-wakefield/

Trinity ready to complete Williams signing

Wakefield Trinity are close to completing the signing of their former halfback Sam Williams. The Australian has emerged as Trinity’s top target ahead of the 2021 season and League Express understands a deal is looking increasingly likely.

Negotiations are at an advanced stage and Wakefield look set to finalise a deal at some point this month.

Read more: https://t.co/eH6E9yQu8t
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Sam Williams reportedly targeted by Wakefield Trinity

Post by greeneyed »

One “report” on Twitter suggesting it’ll be announced tomorrow. Not sure how reliable that Twitter account is...

https://twitter.com/rugbyleagueitk/stat ... 74083?s=21
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

How has he fallen down the pecking order?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Good for him
It's a good gig, he'll kill it over there as he always does. It is a shame to lose a passionate clubman and capable back up.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

This bloke well deserves a starting gig somewhere.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Good luck Sammy.

Always welcome around the club , always play shis part well. Frawley looks a decent backup - Sammy was top class- so no reason to stand in his way. There's always a junior looking for a chance too.

I think we've all said it before about him. When he's done playing he'll be drawn to the region anyway and will be a good shout to get involved in coaching in some way. He never lacked smarts, or character.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

He's good enough to get a start somewhere, so this isn't unsurprising if true.

If he does go, he'll be back - again.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Good for him. He’s our prodigal son. Give it a season or 2 and he’ll be back for another stint
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Love the guy. A true Raider at heart. Will never begrudge him earning what he's capable of earning elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Like everyone else. Happy to see sammy go on to bigger and better things. There seem to be plenty of promising halves that we should be able to pick up cheaply, eg Sean O'Sullivan who apparently wont be resigned by the broncos
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: October 13, 2020, 5:39 am Like everyone else. Happy to see sammy go on to bigger and better things. There seem to be plenty of promising halves that we should be able to pick up cheaply, eg Sean O'Sullivan who apparently wont be resigned by the broncos
Certainly got a legendary raiders half name- do you know if there is a Chris O'Sullivan connection?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: October 13, 2020, 10:24 am
FROG wrote: October 13, 2020, 5:39 am Like everyone else. Happy to see sammy go on to bigger and better things. There seem to be plenty of promising halves that we should be able to pick up cheaply, eg Sean O'Sullivan who apparently wont be resigned by the broncos
Certainly got a legendary raiders half name- do you know if there is a Chris O'Sullivan connection?
Pretty sure not. His father is Peter O’Sullivan: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1beaa6badf

He was at the Storm during the salary cap cheating too: https://nzwarriors.com/player-profiles/ ... livan.428/
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ah ok. Thanks.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Good luck to him
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky gave Sam the opportunity in the final match of the competition rounds against the Sharks and he played the Sharks off the park. Good luck to him if he can secure a few years of higher income in England. He has been a good 7 for the Club whenever the Club needed him. He knows he will not displace George in FG so I reckon he is making a decision which is in his own best interests.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Good luck to Sammy.

He will be back in a coaching role one day
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm very happy for him, he well deserves to be a leading half somewhere. He's a good and loyal Raider and, well, if he finds himself homesick...I'm sure there'll always be a spot of some kind - whether as a player or a coach - for him here.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Can't complain about such a good clubman taking this opportunity to cash in late in his career.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Best of luck to Canberra Raiders most successful captain..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’d actually suggest a couple of out there replacements for Williams. I don’t think a promising half is really needed if we’re thinking the premiership tilt continues. You’d want someone serviceable imo. Rather than a project player.

One idea is Albert Kelly post ESL. Talent wise the best option but realistically probably wouldn’t fit the bill culture wise. The other is Brad Takairangi. A genuine utility without a club for next season. He’s far from an absolute gun but covers centre, five-eighth and backrow at a pinch. It’d almost be a last hurrah but if no one else was to pick him up, and we had a spot left I think he’d be a handy player to have in reserve grade to plug a hole if required.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If Matt Frawley stays I can't imagine the club will be looking to replace Williams with a veteran squad filler.

Going into this season nobody really knew how George Williams would handle the NRL. Now we know he's the goods, I doubt Stuart will be looking for a huge amount of depth beyond Frawley.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

we already have whitehead for halves depth
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah, Frawley looked servicable- maybe even better than that. The opposition wasn't great but I wouldn't be panicking if he had to fill in a few games.

Beyond that as mentioned, Whitehead can fill in. We also have Aetkins on the books now who I personally think would be a better option at half than Whitehead other than as a mid game pinch.

The other option would be Starling as halfback for a few games. I've seen him lay on a beautiful pass for a Papa try playing at first receiver so he has the passing game and he's the most mobile of our hookers. With Hodgo/Havilii at hooker and Jack in the team, + run/kick on the 5th options like Croker, Whitehead and Rapana who can all do the running 5th then kick option we'd be ok for kickers.

So we should just be promoting the most promising kid to the squad, as we have multiple options to cover if we don't want to blood him just yet.

My preferred option would be Frawley or Starling.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

i cant believe Bulldogs didnt jump on him, he is exactly what Bulldogs need.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Crusader wrote:i cant believe Bulldogs didnt jump on him, he is exactly what Bulldogs need.
I really like him as a player but I don't think his defence is quite up to standard for a week-to-week NRL player. Really unfortunate because just about every other aspect of his game is very good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: October 14, 2020, 2:09 pm
Crusader wrote:i cant believe Bulldogs didnt jump on him, he is exactly what Bulldogs need.
I really like him as a player but I don't think his defence is quite up to standard for a week-to-week NRL player. Really unfortunate because just about every other aspect of his game is very good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
As a long-term solution for them he's probably not quite it, but I'm with Crusader. As a shorter-term stablising solution? He'd be absolutely perfect while they rebuilt their team and got things steady. Have him for a year or two, get things smooth, and then go to market for a better half.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

We can't go into a season with Frawley the next cab off the rank. Off the top of my head the vast majority of clubs, if not all, have a better second stringer than him. I think most also have at least two reserves capable of playing in the halves.

The guy needs to be capable of playing a full season adeptly if need be, at a level good enough to allow the established spine players to pick up the remaining slack with some comfort - just like Jack and George have been able to do with Starling and Havili replacing Hodgson. The quality of that back up needs to be of such that losing one half should not necessarily mean that it spells the end of our season.

If we don't have a young talented guy coming through to promote, then someone needs to come in. Doubt we'll be able to get someone of Williams' quality and experience, but I'm confident we can get someone better than Frawley in time. Having your best edge player shift to cover the position, a position we're already skint in, should not be done unless it's mid-match, or we are extremely desperate.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Hopefully there wouldn't be an injury in the halves but given Starling,s performance, if necessary could we see:

7. Hodgo
9. Starling
14. Havili
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

IBG wrote: October 15, 2020, 12:34 am Hopefully there wouldn't be an injury in the halves but given Starling,s performance, if necessary could we see:

7. Hodgo
9. Starling
14. Havili
Hodgo in the halves has been tried before Hodgo had 2 knee recos and Hodgo was nowhere near the lateral mobility needed to defend at #7. He was isolated and scampered around with ease even back then. I remember it happening a couple of times due to injury and both times he got found out. He'll be even slower now. Hodgo is a #9 or bust.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: October 14, 2020, 11:58 pm We can't go into a season with Frawley the next cab off the rank. Off the top of my head the vast majority of clubs, if not all, have a better second stringer than him. I think most also have at least two reserves capable of playing in the halves.

The guy needs to be capable of playing a full season adeptly if need be, at a level good enough to allow the established spine players to pick up the remaining slack with some comfort - just like Jack and George have been able to do with Starling and Havili replacing Hodgson. The quality of that back up needs to be of such that losing one half should not necessarily mean that it spells the end of our season.

If we don't have a young talented guy coming through to promote, then someone needs to come in. Doubt we'll be able to get someone of Williams' quality and experience, but I'm confident we can get someone better than Frawley in time. Having your best edge player shift to cover the position, a position we're already skint in, should not be done unless it's mid-match, or we are extremely desperate.
If it was a half season injury rather than a few games, I honestly think we'd see Aetkins or Starling in there. I wouldn't splash for a better backup now, but that's just my opinion.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im not worried about the back up half situation. I disagree with aksakaa on this in that most clubs arent rocking a back up half they think they can win the comp with. The reality of all the top clubs is if their chief play makers go down, then their season is in dire trouble.
The panthers might have Burton as a back up, but no one thinks they're winning the comp with Burton in for Laui, and certainly not Cleary. The Roosters season ultimately ended on the fact they're replacements for Cronk actually didnt end up being good enough. Souths dont have anyone that gives them a chance beyond Reynolds and Walker. Melbourne are a little different in that Smith does a lot of halves work but their backs up beyond Hughes and Munster have proven to be pretty mediocre.

Teams just arent going to really win a comp with their 3rd string half in the game.

Had we lost George Williams or Wighton instead of Hodgson, even with Sam Williams now, i think our season would be right now finished. We're **** without one of those guys in terms of a finals run.

Im comfortable with Frawley as a short term 4-6 week maximum option, think we could survive that with him in the line up. But beyond that your fate is just in the hands of the footy gods. Of course that doesnt mean you wouldnt take Sam Williams at the right price who probably lets you get through 8-12 weeks in season and survive and you just hope your guys are back for the finals... but i dont think the back up half spot and upgrading to a better player in that role than Frawley is a major priority.

Id sooner that Sam Williams spot to one of the kids and try and develop that guy. Frawley is an able defender, and a decent enough distributor that if next year we did lose a half, it would be brutal and probably a death blow, but it would be on the remaining half and Hodgson/Starling/Havili to carry us as far as they can.
If you can grab a good back up half that's better than Frawley, at the right price and wants to come and play that role, of course you do it. But we got bigger fish to fry with the roster imo
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep. Frawley is a more than capable backup if he sticks around.

The other backup halves spot should rightfully be given to a developing player, so he can...you know...develop.

This year was a bit different as Frawley came home to Canberra and basically fell into our laps alongside Williams. They would have made one hell of a Mounties combo.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: October 15, 2020, 11:55 am Im not worried about the back up half situation. I disagree with aksakaa on this in that most clubs arent rocking a back up half they think they can win the comp with. The reality of all the top clubs is if their chief play makers go down, then their season is in dire trouble.
The panthers might have Burton as a back up, but no one thinks they're winning the comp with Burton in for Laui, and certainly not Cleary. The Roosters season ultimately ended on the fact they're replacements for Cronk actually didnt end up being good enough. Souths dont have anyone that gives them a chance beyond Reynolds and Walker. Melbourne are a little different in that Smith does a lot of halves work but their backs up beyond Hughes and Munster have proven to be pretty mediocre.

Teams just arent going to really win a comp with their 3rd string half in the game.

Had we lost George Williams or Wighton instead of Hodgson, even with Sam Williams now, i think our season would be right now finished. We're **** without one of those guys in terms of a finals run.

Im comfortable with Frawley as a short term 4-6 week maximum option, think we could survive that with him in the line up. But beyond that your fate is just in the hands of the footy gods. Of course that doesnt mean you wouldnt take Sam Williams at the right price who probably lets you get through 8-12 weeks in season and survive and you just hope your guys are back for the finals... but i dont think the back up half spot and upgrading to a better player in that role than Frawley is a major priority.

Id sooner that Sam Williams spot to one of the kids and try and develop that guy. Frawley is an able defender, and a decent enough distributor that if next year we did lose a half, it would be brutal and probably a death blow, but it would be on the remaining half and Hodgson/Starling/Havili to carry us as far as they can.
If you can grab a good back up half that's better than Frawley, at the right price and wants to come and play that role, of course you do it. But we got bigger fish to fry with the roster imo
That's what we said about Hodgson before this season happened. Certainly going into this season, I don't think there was a person who would've considered Wighton or an incoming G Dubs more critical to the function of the team than Hodgson. Even now if you had all three of them at their best, Hodgson is still comfortably the higher rated player IMO.

We've got away with Hodgo being injured because a) Starling is of quite decent quality, and b) because the two halves have the ability to take upon some of the roles and responsibilities that were Hodgo's. If one of our first string halves go down, the other half and Hodgo are more than capable of absorbing that loss, in conjunction with the team altering its strategy and minimising the weakness - provided the backup can hold his own.

Having seen enough of Frawley, if you've got him as the Starling of the halves, you're gonna have a bad time. I would like to think we've got someone to promote, but if not, I'm confident Ricky will bring someone in.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Sam Williams being targeted by Wakefield Trinity

Post by greeneyed »

Wakefield Trinity confirm Canberra Raiders Sam Williams in their sights

Super League club Wakefield Trinity are keen on taking Canberra halfback Sam Williams back to England for the 2021 campaign. Coach Chris Chester confirmed he has spoken to Williams.

"I've spoken to Sammy, I've kept in contact with him," Chester said. "But there's certainly no deal done with Sammy or any other player at this moment in time.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1387663
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: October 15, 2020, 1:20 pm
Botman wrote: October 15, 2020, 11:55 am Im not worried about the back up half situation. I disagree with aksakaa on this in that most clubs arent rocking a back up half they think they can win the comp with. The reality of all the top clubs is if their chief play makers go down, then their season is in dire trouble.

That's what we said about Hodgson before this season happened. Certainly going into this season, I don't think there was a person who would've considered Wighton or an incoming G Dubs more critical to the function of the team than Hodgson. Even now if you had all three of them at their best, Hodgson is still comfortably the higher rated player IMO.

We've got away with Hodgo being injured because a) Starling is of quite decent quality, and b) because the two halves have the ability to take upon some of the roles and responsibilities that were Hodgo's. If one of our first string halves go down, the other half and Hodgo are more than capable of absorbing that loss, in conjunction with the team altering its strategy and minimising the weakness - provided the backup can hold his own.

Having seen enough of Frawley, if you've got him as the Starling of the halves, you're gonna have a bad time. I would like to think we've got someone to promote, but if not, I'm confident Ricky will bring someone in.
No, I think if the halves go down we’re ****
We got kissed on the dick falling into starling, I don’t think that exists in the halves

So I’m not trying to spent time or money trying to find it
If one of them went down, the others will have to stand up and do their best and where ever that falls it falls. But if we’re forced to use a back up the way we have Starling, I don’t think Frawley vs Sam Williams vs another back up half is going to be the difference between a premiership tilt and not one

This starling thing is not repeatable imo. If George or Jack go down it’s over, Frawley will do his best, the others will do their best and it will not be a long successful finals run... but Imo Sam Williams is about the best back up half you could hope to have and I don’t think even he changes that equation

Better off with a kid with talent, develop him and maybe you get lucky with another Tom Starling situation, as unlikely as that is