Through green eyes 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Through green eyes 2020

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

"Only good teams can do that [come back in the second half]. I think we made over 200 and something tackles to about 111 in the first half, and the percentage of footy... they had 70 per cent of the footy. It's not the way you want to start a game, but sometimes games start that are very unpredictable and totally against the run of play. And that was through good play. They played really well in the first half. They had a lot of football, got a lot of repeat sets of six by kicking into the dead ball. But we just had no possession. I was quite amazed it was only 14-10 at half time, because the amount of possession was a wonderful advantage for them.

The two halves got us right back into that. They both played extremely well. I commended them on their performance to the boys downstairs. I don't usually single out people. Jack [Wighton] with that quick tap, George [Williams] with a couple of his tries, they really threw the team on their shoulders and basically took us forward. I love that in halves, who say 'Come on, follow me'. And that's what Jack and George both did and I was very impressed with their efforts. They're combining very well together, considering they're a brand new halves combination and we've got a number of years ahead of us with those boys together.

That first half gave us a wonderful opportunity to get back into the game. Albeit we had no football, but defensively they put us into a position where we could come back. I wouldn't have liked to have been down by any more than that. Cronulla, who had nothing to lose, would have been quite excited coming out after that first half of theirs. They played really good football in that first half. They're a good footy team, but when the possession evened up... which I spoke about at half time... 'We just need a little bit of football to get back into this contest'.

It's against the run of play with the weight of possession towards the Sharks. People say, 'Good luck for your game.' And I say 'I don't want any good luck, I just don't want bad luck'. We had a little bit of bad luck in regards to not being able to get any possession in that first half. There's no saying that wasn't going to happen again in the second half. You've got to fight and scrag and do everything you possibly can to get a bit of possession. We just couldn't get any footy in that first half. We still had four line breaks and I think we had about four tackles inside their twenty. If we can get 50-50 of the footy, it makes it a little bit easier for us.

I'm very confident of that squad. They're a tough group. They are resilient. A lot of people talk the talk. We've got a few values and standards that we privately want to execute, and these boys do. They have a wonderful camaraderie and a lot of care amongst the squad. What they've got through this year in regards to the travel and the scheduling and the injuries we've had, I was so proud of them coming fifth in this competition. A lot of boys have taken on more responsibility and made men of themselves."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

2020 Finals Week 1. Canberra Raiders 32 - Cronulla Sharks 20. The Canberra Raiders had the aim of starting well, but again that did not happen. They performed poorly in the first half and were indeed fortunate to only trail by only four points at half time. They lacked intensity and made crucial errors. The players that were rested last week looked rusty. In the end, it did not matter. In the second half, the Raiders scored four tries and did not concede a point until the final two minutes, after the game was wrapped up.

The Sharks had over 60 per cent of possession and almost 80 per cent of the territory in the first 40 minutes. The Sharks were tackled 18 times in the opposition red zone, while the Raiders had virtually no tackles in the Sharks' 20 metre zone. The Sharks points did not come against the run of play. It wasn't the result of bad luck for the Raiders or good luck for the Sharks. The Sharks created their opportunities. They forced four line drop outs on the Raiders. They completed their sets. The Sharks forwards dominated their opponents and were aggressive in defence. I'm not quite sure what it is, but the Raiders' pack seems to start slowly, and the long kicking game doesn't compensate. The Raiders have lost the early battle for territory for a good couple of months. Both teams scored two tries in the first half, but it was Canberra's four pointers that were scored against the run of play.

The Sharks certainly employed some tactics in achieving that - and were not pulled up by the officials. They crowded the Raiders in the ruck repeatedly. They were "very quick" off the line in defence. The rucks were very slow, yet the Sharks only conceded one restart in the first half. The Sharks tactically used injuries in back play to stop play through the game.

All that turned around after the break. The Raiders had almost 60 per cent of possession and territory in the second half. Canberra made offloads, tackle breaks and line breaks almost at will at times. The Sharks' only points came as a result of an intercept. Jack Wighton and George Williams turned the momentum of the game. Williams' intercept try just before half time, kept Canberra within reach. Then Wighton scored a double in the space of three minutes. The first was the result of quick thinking from the five eighth. The Sharks tried to slow the ruck, again... but were penalised. Wighton took the quick tap and caught the Sharks' defence napping. Cronulla wanted to challenge the decision, but could not challenge the discretionary penalty. He quickly scored again after an awkward take of a George Williams kick. The halves definitely made the difference.

The victory sets up a third re-match of the 2019 Grand Final, with the Raiders to meet the Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Friday night. If the Raiders are to make the Grand Final, they are not only going to have to get through the Roosters, they'll have to get through the Storm at Lang Park. They won't be able to afford the start we saw last night against that quality of opposition.

Stats that mattered?

The Raiders ended the match with 50 per cent of possession, but just 40 per cent of the territory. Canberra completed at just 68 per cent (Sharks 79 per cent), though the error count was level (14-14). The Raiders conceded one more penalty than the Sharks (5-4), but unusually received five set restarts (Sharks two).

The Sharks made more runs (166-155), running metres (1751-157), post contact metres (551-478), kick return metres (261-116) and metres per set (45-35). The Raiders, however, made more line breaks (7-4), offloads (9-6) and tackle breaks (38-16). The kicking metres were essentially level (Raiders 508, Sharks 503), though the Sharks kicked more (22-15). The Sharks produced four line drop outs, the Raiders none.

In the end, it was the defence that was a critical difference. The Raiders posted a 93 per cent tackle efficiency rate (Sharks 86 per cent), despite having to make more tackles (341-303). The ineffective tackles were almost even (Sharks 12, Raiders 11), but the Sharks missed more than twice the tackles that the Raiders did (39-16).

Memorable moments?

There's no doubt that Jack Wighton's brace of tries produced the most memorable moments of the match. They were closely followed by the double from George Williams. Hudson Young's break to set up the second Williams try was something really special. But I think the best try was probably scored by Elliott Whitehead. Tries scored from kicks are often devalued, but the grubber from Jarrod Croker to set up that Whitehead try showed a lot of skill. The try from Joe Tapine, the first of the match, should not be overlooked either. It was just pure determination from Tapine to somehow get across the white stripe.

Best performers?

Jack Wighton. Two tries, nine runs for 78 metres, one line break, one line break assist, one try assist, four tackle breaks, one offload, 20 tackles, 100 per cent tackle efficiency, seven kicks for 271 kicking metres. The only blot was a couple of kicks dead.

George Williams. Two tries, four runs for 93 metres, one line break, one try assist, three tackle breaks, 26 tackles, 93 per cent tackle efficiency, six kicks for 177 kicking metres.

Joe Tapine. One try, 12 runs for 136 metres, 54 post contact metres, one line break, one line break assist, nine tackle breaks, two offloads, 28 tackles, 100 per cent tackle efficiency

Top tacklers: Tom Starling 44, John Bateman 42, Elliott Whitehead 32
Most metres gained: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 179, Josh Papalii 137, Joe Tapine 136

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7
Semi Valemei 5
Jarrod Croker 7
Jordan Rapana 5
Nick Cotric 6
Jack Wighton 8
George Williams 8
Josh Papalii 7
Tom Starling 7
Sia Soliola 5
John Bateman 6
Elliott Whitehead 6
Joe Tapine 7

Dunamis Lui 6
Siliva Havili 6
Hudson Young 7
Corey Harawira-Naera 6

Do you agree with the ratings? Let us know what you think!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd give Tapine an 8. What more can he do? He was our only forward making yards first half when even Papa was getting a bath. He was doing hard graft AND a threat with the ball, tries, offloads, quick play the balls. He didn't miss a single tackle even in a game where we had to make a million. Could have been 20-30 points without him in that first half.

There's been a crticism of Joe that he had it all but rarely put it together ruthlessly or consistently or switched off. He was relentless yesterday. If Starling and Papa are 7 (solid games for sure), I reckon Tapine is an 8.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep Tapine 8 and Lui was much better than both Whitehead and Bateman.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tapine was fabulous. He was the one consistently bending the line. His try was about sheer power and determination. 8 for me.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Agree with other posters. Tapine was definitely an 8...he's ripping and tearing through the defense every hit-up these days, and with tackling efficiency at 100% he's doing everything you could ask of a forward.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Scoring Croker the same as Tapine is beyond me. Tapine was huge in that game
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: A rivalry more than 30 years in the making

The Canberra Raiders play the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Friday night in the third re-match this season of the 2019 Grand Final. It is sudden death, a must win for the Raiders if they are to proceed to a Preliminary Final against the Melbourne Storm at Lang Park.

The Raiders have played the Roosters just three times at the famous SCG. The first two of those matches were played way back in 1987, when the Raiders were on a fairy tale run to their first Grand Final. That year, they played the Roosters three times in a month at the business end of the season.

The Green Machine won against the Roosters, 22-18, in the final round of the regular season - when Easts coach Arthur Beetson controversially rested star players. It was widely thought that Beetson was happy to "play" the Raiders into third place on the ladder - so his team would again face the Raiders in Week 1 of the finals.

When Ricky Stuart rested players this year in the final round against the Sharks, those with long memories might have thought, 'Everything old is new again'.

Arthur Beetson got his preferred opposition back in 1987. The Roosters and Raiders met at the SCG on a Sunday afternoon in front of 15,852 people in the major preliminary semi final. It certainly wasn't a wild mismatch.

The Raiders were the better team in the first half, with tries to hooker Steve Walters and prop Sam Backo. The Green Machine led 12-6, 20 minutes into the match. But errors from the Raiders either side of half time saw the Roosters score three tries and take a 24-12 lead. A try from Chris O'Sullivan with 12 minutes remaining gave the Raiders some hope. But that was extinguished by a Tony Melrose field goal four minutes from time. The score board read 25-16 in favour of the Roosters. For the Raiders, it would be sudden death from there.

After the match, captain Dean Lance said: "We've got the future in our own hands. We beat ourselves today."

Co-coach, Don Furner felt the Roosters had not had to play much football to get their win. Two of the Roosters tries came from kicks. He believed that the Raiders could mix it with the best teams, if they could cut their errors.

And that proved to be the case. A win over the Rabbitohs in Week 2 propelled the Raiders into the Preliminary Final, and another match-up against the Roosters.

Mal Meninga steamrolls David Trewhella.

Mal Meninga made a heroic comeback in that game, the arm he had broken covered in a huge arm guard. He wore jersey 21, the only jersey that would fit him, and ended up playing 64 minutes - after a week of speculation as to whether he would be fit. Meninga produced one of the most memorable moments in Raiders history when he smashed his way right over the top of Roosters forward, David Trewhella, to score a try - leaving Trewhella in a hole in the ground, snoozing.

The attack from Canberra was devastating, and the Raiders secured the victory in a 13 minute flurry in the second half, when Canberra was trailing 18-14, but surged to a 32-18 lead. The Roosters took the lead four times in the match, and the Raiders came back every time - winning 32-24.

"We just weren't going to be denied," captain Dean Lance said later. As [co-coach] Wayne [Bennett] said the other day, if the plane crashed at Goulburn, we'd walk to the SCG and still do our job."

Canberra had made the Grand Final for the first time. And the national capital was about to be engulfed in green fever.

It took more than 30 years for the Raiders to meet the Roosters again at the SCG.

The teams have a renewed rivalry forged by the 2019 Grand Final. The Raiders were the better team for much of the game, but officiating controversies - which proved costly for the Raiders - marred the contest.

So when the Raiders visited the SCG this year, they were hoping for a little bit of revenge. But the odds were stacked in favour of the Roosters.

The Roosters were aiming for their 11th straight win at their temporary home ground.

The Raiders were missing six of their Grand Final team due to long term injury, their main play maker, Josh Hodgson, out for the season. The horrible injury toll had left the Green Machine with a squad of just 18 fit players who had any NRL experience.

The Raiders were on a five day turnaround.

It was, simply, backs to the wall for the Raiders. But fuelled by spirit, heart and pride in the famous green jersey, the Raiders produced a gritty victory. One of the most courageous victories in Raiders' history.

The game started with the Roosters piling three or four players into every tackle. Their big forward pack aimed to dominate Canberra physically. Their kicking game was nigh on perfect, with young half Kyle Flanagan ensuring that the Raiders started every set on their own goal line. The Raiders struggled to make any ground with the ball in hand. They did well to score first, in just the 12th minute, with Jack Wighton breaking tackles to set up a Dunamis Lui try. But after 30 minutes, the Roosters had a 12-6 lead.

Three minutes into the second half the Raiders levelled, after Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad kicked in behind the perpetually off side Roosters' defence, allowing Jarrod Croker to chase and score.

Then the Roosters "poked the bear". Angus Crichton lashed out in a ruck, elbowing Josh Papalii in the nose - but it was the bloodied Papalii who was penalised for retaliating. He quietly just got on with it, leading the young pack forward up the middle. It laid the platform for a try to George Williams, who stepped his way through to score near the posts and to give the Raiders the lead again.

The Roosters were never out of the contest - and were constantly dangerous in attack. They targetted a makeshift Raiders' right side, taking back the lead with a Matt Ikuvalu try with 20 minutes remaining. But then the "bear" unleashed, running 20 metres down the middle of the park to give the Raiders a 24-20 advantage. It was a lead that the Raiders bravely held onto for the final 15 minutes.

"There weren't many people giving us a chance tonight," coach Ricky Stuart said after the game.

"The injuries and the five day turnaround. I said last week I don't care what other people think. Because they don't know what's under the jumper. They don't know what we're built on."

And now we wait for the next clash in a rivalry more than 30 years in the making.

1987 Preliminary Final – Canberra Raiders 32 (Gary Coyne 2, Peter Jackson, Matthew Corkery, Ashley Gilbert, Mal Meninga tries, Mal Meninga 2, Gary Belcher 2 goals) defeated Eastern Suburbs Roosters 24.

Canberra Raiders: 1. Gary Belcher 2. Chris Kinna 4. Peter Jackson 21. Mal Meninga 5. Matthew Corkery 6. Chris O'Sullivan 3. Ivan Henjak 8. Dean Lance (c) 9. Gary Coyne 10. Ashley Gilbert 11. Sam Backo 12. Steve Walters 13. Brent Todd

16. Terry Regan 7. Kevin Walters 22. Rowan Brennan 23. Glenn Lazarus

Coaches: Don Furner and Wayne Bennett

Crowd: 26,790

2020 Round 10 - Canberra Raiders 24 (Jarrod Croker, Dunamis Lui, Josh Papalii, George Williams tries, Jarrod Croker 4 goals) defeated Sydney Roosters 20.

Canberra Raiders: 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Nick Cotric 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Michael Oldfield 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. George Williams 8. Josh Papalii 9. Siliva Havili 10. Dunamis Lui 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 15. Kai O'Donnell

13. Joe Tapine 14. Tom Starling 16. Ryan Sutton 21. Semi Valemei

Coach: Ricky Stuart

Crowd: 3,476

The Roosters are clear favourites on Friday night. But after Round 10, we know this Raiders team can beat the Sydney outfit. And Ricky Stuart knows which tactics work. The Raiders have started slowly in the past couple of months - and have often lost the early battle for territory. A repeat in this game could be fatal and the Raiders' forwards will need to aim up early. It is tough to come back against the Roosters, and they're very hard to stop once they have momentum. But if the Raiders can keep in the grind, they have the ability to finish strongly in the second half.

The Roosters' defence has been "off" in the past couple of weeks - and the coach and team don't seem to have their usual composure and arrogance. There look to be a few chinks in their amour. Obviously, the Roosters are a very good attacking outfit, but Canberra's defence has recently been the more solid. It should be a great game, but Raiders fans should be confident the Green Machine can do it. Check out my full match preview... I'm tipping the Raiders by six.

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the total points and average points per match after the Week 1 Finals clash against the Sharks. Tell us what you think of the ratings.

Total points

Josh Papalii 144
Jack Wighton 143
George Williams 137
Elliott Whitehead 133
Joe Tapine 133
Nick Cotric 133
Jarrod Croker 125
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 124
Siliva Havili 113
Dunamis Lui 111
Hudson Young 106
Ryan Sutton 105
Jordan Rapana 103
Tom Starling 83
Curtis Scott 71
John Bateman 63
Sia Soliola 62
Josh Hodgson 56
Corey Harrawira-Naera 51
Emre Guler 49
Semi Valemei 42
Corey Horsburgh 40
Bailey Simonsson 34
Kai O'Donnell 22
Michael Oldfield 20
Harley Smith-Shields 12
Matt Timoko 12
Sam Williams 8
Matt Frawley 7
Adam Cook 5
Darby Medlyn 5
Jarrett Subloo 2

Average points per match

Sam Williams 8.0
Josh Papalii 7.2
Jack Wighton 7.2
Joe Tapine 7.0
John Bateman 7.0
Matt Frawley 7.0
Tom Starling 6.9
George Williams 6.9
Corey Horsburgh 6.7
Elliott Whitehead 6.7
Hudson Young 6.6
Ryan Sutton 6.6
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 6.5
Nick Cotric 6.3
Jarrod Croker 6.3
Josh Hodgson 6.2
Dunamis Lui 6.2
Emre Guler 6.1
Jordan Rapana 6.1
Harley Smith-Shields 6.0
Matt Timoko 6.0
Corey Harrawira-Naera 5.7
Siliva Havili 5.7
Sia Soliola 5.6
Kai O'Donnell 5.5
Curtis Scott 5.5
Semi Valemei 5.3
Adam Cook 5.0
Darby Medlyn 5.0
Bailey Simonsson 4.9
Michael Oldfield 3.3
Jarrett Subloo 2.0

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"Typical finals game. The speed of the game was right up there to one of the fastest games we've played, definitely this year. It was just typical finals footy. It was fast and a lot of moments there where it was in the balance and it came down to individuals making a desperate play. It always comes down to moments of desperation and brilliance. It was always going to be a very hard game, and that's what it was.

I'm proud of our players, how they've handled this season. Nobody knows from outside our inner sanctum at the club, how hard it was for us at the start of the season. So where we've got today nobody gave us a chance to, outside our own. I remember saying right in this room - the last game we beat the Roosters here - nobody has given us an opportunity to show what's underneath the jumper. They're not just a team of footballers these guys, they're more than a team. Win or lose next week we have had an unbelievable season and we are in there punching again."

2020 Finals Week 2. Canberra Raiders 22 - Sydney Roosters 18. Nothing ever avenges a loss in a Grand Final. But when the Raiders defeated the Sydney Roosters last night at the Sydney Cricket Ground - denying them the opportunity for a "threepeat" - it was a little piece of revenge. Coach Ricky Stuart wisely says that "revenge" was never a motivation for the team. Last year was last year he says. But for the fans, that little bit of revenge - against a team that operates under a salary cap sombrero, not a salary cap - sure felt good.

The Raiders were clearly the better team, in my view. Better than the final scoreboard indicated. Canberra created a lot of opportunities - particularly in the first half, off the back of an incredible start from the Raiders' forwards. Ricky Stuart challenged his pack in the lead up. He told them that right from the start of rugby league, it has been the responsibility of the forwards to lay the platform. That big matches are all about the big boys. And they responded.

Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine were the starting prop pairing, and they were immense. Both scored tries. Joe Tapine, in his 100th game, produced a try for the ages.

"I don't think I have ever seen a better try by a forward," coach Ricky Stuart said after the game. It's hard to argue with that. He went on an amazing run, shrugging off the Roosters' defenders with apparent ease.

The Raiders led 16-0 after 22 minutes, having scored three tries. Papalii struck early, inside the first five minutes. It was off the back of what was probably a fortunate penalty - with the Roosters penalised for a late shot on Jack Wighton after he put in a kick. I guess it partly made up for the worse late shots on Wighton that opposition teams have got away with all season. George Williams' try in the 17th minute, was the result of an incision right up the middle. A great offload from Josh Papalii was followed by a great break from Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. Rapana and Williams were there backing up.

The Raiders' attack was breathtaking at times, against the much vaunted Roosters' defence. The Raiders were denied three times, correctly, by the video referee. One really deserved a try, with just under 10 minutes to the break. Jordan Rapana made a break down the right edge and kicked ahead. Tom Starling somehow recovered just inside the touchline, and offloaded to Rapana, who crossed the white stripe. Sadly, the replays showed he had not stepped back into the field of play before taking the offload. He'd taken it having leapt from just outside the touch line. Sadly, the Roosters followed with a miracle try, with Josh Morris making a break and kicking ahead for James Tedesco, just before half time.

The Roosters were closer at half time than they deserved to be, trailing by 10. Jack Wighton was denied a try in the 47th minute for obstruction from Jarrod Croker. And the Roosters edged closer again, when Joseph Manu was awarded a try with around 20 minutes remaining. The video referee repeatedly scrutinised it, checking for a double movement - but it was probably correctly awarded. The Raiders fans felt safer when Jack Wighton crossed in the 68th minute - a George Williams kick wrong footing Tedesco. Even then, the Roosters refused to give up, with Tedesco scoring in the final five minutes. But it was not enough. The Raiders deservedly held on.

Canberra has now qualified for a Preliminary Final, against the Storm at Lang Park. It is the 10th Preliminary Final in the club's history. It is the third in the space of five years. The Raiders are now a competitive force again. The Raiders are a genuine contender for the 2020 premiership. Raiders fans can believe.

Stats that mattered?

The Raiders ended the match with 53 per cent of possession, but only 48 per cent of the territory. They were more dominant in the first half, but an even share of possession in the second half gave the Roosters their chance of a comeback. The Raiders completed at an incredible 90 per cent (Roosters 75 per cent), making just six errors (Roosters 12) and conceding four penalties (Roosters five). The Roosters received five set restarts, the Raiders only three.

The Raiders had the better of the attack. They made more runs (212-201), running metres (1992-1957), post contact metres (656-606), line breaks (6-5) and metres per set (47-45). Tackle breaks were even (42-42), while the Roosters were slightly in front in kick return metres (216-210). The Roosters threw the ball around with abandon (263 general play passes, Raiders 232) and managed to get away 20 off loads (Raiders only eight). The Raiders kicked more (30-23) and got more kicking metres (774-635), but Canberra's long kicking game was not as effective as the Roosters at times. The Roosters had 56 per cent of the territory in the first half, and that was due in no small part to Kyle Flanagan's kicking game. Both teams forced one line drop out.

The Roosters produced a better effective tackle rate, despite having the heavier defensive workload. They made more tackles (438-357) and conceded just 13 ineffective tackles (Raiders an uncharacteristic 29). Both teams missed 42 tackles, which is probably more than both coaches would have liked to see. The expansive play of the Roosters certainly caught the Raiders out at times, but the ultimate defensive statistic was the critical one. Tries conceded. Roosters four, Raiders three.

Memorable moments?

I've stolen much of my own thunder. I've written about the Raiders' tries already. Some of the great attacking moments. There was no better moment, no better try than the Tapine try. But there were two great moments in defence that should not be forgotten. Both, try saving tackles, involved Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. The first came in the 36th minute, when he and Tom Starling - with some help from Hudson Young - brought down Brett Morris. Sadly, the Roosters scored shortly afterwards. The second came in the 66th minute, with the Raiders leading by just four points. His try saver on Josh Morris was absolutely critical, taking him over the sideline. It was one of those moments of desperation and brilliance.

Best performers?

Josh Papalii. One try, 18 runs for 189 metres, 73 post contact metres, one line break, seven tackle breaks, three offloads, 29 tackles, 88 per cent tackle efficiency. No errors, as usual.

Joe Tapine. One try, 16 runs for 170 metres, 62 post contact metres, one line break, nine tackle breaks, two offloads, 28 tackles, 90 per cent tackle efficiency.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. 22 runs for 276 metres, 89 kick return metres, 77 post contact metres, one line break, three tackle breaks, 12 tackles, 93 per cent tackle efficiency, two kicks defused, no errors. No wonder he ended up with a bad case of cramp. He left nothing on the field.

I would dearly have loved to include Jack Wighton and Hudson Young in the points. Wighton scored a try, was denied one, and made 135 running metres and 449 kicking metres. Hudson Young was a late inclusion and made 165 running metres and 35 tackles.

Top tacklers: Elliott Whitehead 41, John Bateman 37, Hudson Young 35
Most metres gained: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 276, Josh Papalii 189, Joe Tapine 170

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 8
Semi Valemei 6
Jarrod Croker 6
Jordan Rapana 6
Nick Cotric 7
Jack Wighton 8
George Williams 7
Josh Papalii 9
Siliva Havilii 6
Hudson Young 8
John Bateman 7
Elliott Whitehead 7
Joe Tapine 9

Tom Starling 6
Sia Soliola 5
Dunamis Lui 6
Corey Harawira-Naera 5

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd say Cotric coming up with a try saver on Morris (the "where's Tupou" one) and then backing up to save a try/hold up again 2 seconds later as a player tries to barge over was pivotal too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: How spin doctoring is not a forgotten art at the NRL

This week the NRL revealed some statistics regarding this year's finals series. Referee's boss Graham Annesley was keen to tell us a story regarding rule changes.

In the first two weeks of the finals, we were told that games have been decided by closer margins. 11.5 points on average per game, compared with 15.4 points during the regular season. However average points, line breaks and tries are all up.

In the six finals games played so far in 2020, an average of 56 points have been scored in each game (42 points in the regular season). There have also been an average of 10 tries scored (seven in the regular season) and 12 line breaks (eight in the regular season). Meanwhile, there have been an average of eight penalties per game, compared with 10 in the home and away rounds.

The average margin in the finals this year (11.5 points) is below the average margin during the era of the NRL (14.5 points). The closest finals series was back in 2016, with games decided by an average margin of eight points. This year is not far off the average since 2013 (11.8 points).

The 56 average points scored in the first two weeks of the finals is way higher than usual (an average of just over 40). It is a significant outlier. No finals series has ever seen that many points scored per match. There have been 37 points scored per match in the finals in the past five years.

The 10 tries scored per game in the 2020 finals is also an outlier. It compares with an average in the NRL era of seven tries and the average of six tries in the past five finals series. It's a similar story with line breaks. The 12 per game in this finals series, compares with an average of nine in the NRL era and the seven of the past five years.

You might say... "That's great, we love tries. We want to see more points scored. We want to see great attack."

There'd be a lot of people who agree too, probably the majority of people, if the NRL Fans' Poll is any indication. That showed that 82 per cent of fans who responded believe that the new "six again" rule has been a positive addition to the sport. The poll also showed that 71 per cent of respondents said they agreed with the decision to revert to a single referee.

I'm not sure I love the avalanche of points, myself. There are two sides to the game, attack and defence. And, personally, I don't watch rugby league just to see points scored. If I want to see an avalanche of points, I'd watch basketball.

And I think we need to look a bit closer at what the NRL is telling us.

After presenting all those numbers about points and tries and line breaks, Graham Annesley told us this... that the NRL's aim is "keeping the referees out of games and allowing players to determine the outcome of games without too much interference from referees".

He showed us the statistics for penalties in the finals since the early 2000s. In 2002, there were eight per game and they have averaged out at 11 per game since then. The peak was 15 per game in 2018, and so far in the 2020 finals series, an average of eight have been awarded.

"We want to reduce the number of penalties, we want to stay out of the game as much as possible, and over the last three years, you can see the dramatic drop in the number of times that referees are becoming involved in games," he told us.

"Those changes that have been made are working and are giving fans more value for money."

What Graham Annesley neglected to tell us is that in the 2020 finals series, we've seen referees award an average of 6.5 set restarts. They have effectively awarded 15 "penalties" per game on average - regular penalties plus set restarts. The same number of "penalties" that they awarded in the record year of 2018. The referees haven't been less involved at all. The claimed reduction in penalties is completely illusory. It simply reflects the new "six again" rule.

Moreover, in 2020, teams have conceded an average of nine penalties and set restarts per game. In 2019, teams conceded an average of 6.5 penalties per game.

The referees haven't been involved less. They have been involved more in determining the outcomes of games in 2020.

I should add, that the NRL doesn't make it easy to find out the statistics for set restarts. They don't aggregate the statistics. As far as I can see, no one does. I've collated the numbers from the Fox Sports Lab, though I see the NRL has now decided to publish them, match by match.

The "six again" rule change was explicitly designed to make it easier for referees to "penalise" a ruck infringement. We should be expecting more intervention from referees. And that's what we've got.

I don't have a problem with that, necessarily. What I have a problem with is the inconsistent and almost arbitrary approach to awarding set restarts. There is little scrutiny of the calls. And they produce almost random and arbitrary momentum swings. And yes, plenty of points.

That is what Graham Annesley didn't tell you. There are more points being scored in this finals series because referees have been more involved in games, not less. More involved in determining the outcomes.

Before we sit back and applaud the NRL's rule changes, I think we need to have a bit more experience with their application. Who knows? In the games to come, we could well find that a crucial "six again" call proves the difference in a Grand Final. Again.

And, in the meantime, let's have a bit more transparency and a bit less spin doctoring from the NRL.

Four years ago, the Canberra Raiders travelled to Melbourne for a Preliminary Final against the Storm. It was Canberra's first Preliminary Final in over 20 years in a full competition. That year, the Raiders produced a record winning streak of 10 matches in a single season. The Raiders were the No. 1 attacking team and no Canberra team had ever scored more points in a season. The Preliminary Final was an intense battle and the Raiders certainly had their chances. But the night ended in a heart breaking two point loss for the Green Machine.

The Raiders will play in their third Preliminary Final in the space of five years on Friday night at Lang Park. The opponent is again the Storm. However, today the Raiders are a very different team. The Raiders took a very different direction after missing the finals in 2018, for a second year in a row. They adopted the strategies and tactics of teams like... the Melbourne Storm.

The Raiders decided to put defence first. The best defensive teams have typically won the big games during the finals. But as just mentioned, rule changes have seen a significant shift in the game. A significant shift in the balance between defence and attack.

So it is not just the on field clash that will be fascinating in Friday's Preliminary Final. The tactical battle between the coaches, good friends Ricky Stuart and Craig Bellamy, will be just as fascinating.

Since Ricky Stuart took over the coaching reins at the Raiders in 2014, the Storm have won eight of the 13 clashes between Melbourne and Canberra. At one stage, the Storm won five games in a row. But Stuart has recently found the formula to beat the Storm. The Raiders have won three of the past four games, including an epic Week 1 final in 2019.

The Storm's play will no doubt revolve around their legendary dummy half, Cameron Smith. His offsiders in the spine, Cameron Munster and Ryan Papenhuyzen are no slouches either. Coach Ricky Stuart has tinkered with the Raiders' attack this year, particularly after the loss of hooker Josh Hodgson for the season, due an ACL injury. And they have started to score more points at the back end of the year.

The hooking duo of Siliva Havili and Tom Starling give quick service to the Green Machine's dynamic running halves. Starling, in particular, takes advantage with his own darting runs from dummy half at fatigue takes over in the opposition.

But let's not forget the role of the Raiders' forwards. They have been ravaged by injury this year, but others have stepped into the fray. Led by Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine, they have been winning the middle of the park. They not only provide a great platform for the play makers, they punch their own way through.

I don't expect Stuart will change his team's tactics at this point of the year, but I can hardly wait to see what tricks he might have up the sleeve.

The Storm are very warm favourites. They've had a week off and will be fresh. They will no doubt be driven to give Cameron Smith - who is reportedly set to retire - an opportunity to play one more game, in the Grand Final. The Raiders will again be forced to travel on the day, while the Storm are at "home" in south east Queensland.

But it is one game apiece so far in 2020. And if the Raiders' pack can replicate the performance that they put in against the Roosters - and get on top of the formidable Storm pack - it will go a long way to securing a win. I said this last week, and I'll say it again. Raiders fans should be confident the Green Machine can do it in this game.

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the total points and average points per match after the Week 2 Finals clash against the Roosters. Tell us what you think of the ratings.

Total points

Josh Papalii 153
Jack Wighton 151
George Williams 144
Joe Tapine 142
Elliott Whitehead 140
Nick Cotric 140
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 132
Jarrod Croker 131
Siliva Havili 119
Dunamis Lui 117
Hudson Young 114
Jordan Rapana 109
Ryan Sutton 105
Tom Starling 89
Curtis Scott 71
John Bateman 70
Sia Soliola 67
Corey Harrawira-Naera 56
Josh Hodgson 56
Emre Guler 49
Semi Valemei 48
Corey Horsburgh 40
Bailey Simonsson 34
Kai O'Donnell 22
Michael Oldfield 20
Harley Smith-Shields 12
Matt Timoko 12
Sam Williams 8
Matt Frawley 7
Adam Cook 5
Darby Medlyn 5
Jarrett Subloo 2

Average points per match

Sam Williams 8.0
Josh Papalii 7.3
Jack Wighton 7.2
Joe Tapine 7.1
John Bateman 7.0
Matt Frawley 7.0
George Williams 6.9
Tom Starling 6.8
Hudson Young 6.7
Corey Horsburgh 6.7
Elliott Whitehead 6.7
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 6.6
Ryan Sutton 6.6
Nick Cotric 6.4
Jarrod Croker 6.2
Josh Hodgson 6.2
Dunamis Lui 6.2
Emre Guler 6.1
Jordan Rapana 6.1
Harley Smith-Shields 6.0
Matt Timoko 6.0
Siliva Havili 5.7
Corey Harrawira-Naera 5.6
Sia Soliola 5.6
Kai O'Donnell 5.5
Curtis Scott 5.5
Semi Valemei 5.3
Adam Cook 5.0
Darby Medlyn 5.0
Bailey Simonsson 4.9
Michael Oldfield 3.3
Jarrett Subloo 2.0

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good analysis of the referee involvement GE. As you indicate, not many may agree with the issues you've identified (I do agree with you), but irrespective of that, there is no way Annesley or the NRL can assert that the referees are somehow less involved in the outcome of the game. It's an outright lie.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think it is a superior product with a quicker play the ball. It's far more entertaining to me to see the quicker players dominating a game instead of all 16 teams just deliberately slowing the game by refining their wrestling technique every single season. I think the referees have mostly done a pretty decent job. I've certainly enjoyed the overall product this year more than previous (recent) seasons and I watch most games.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The evidence is clearly that the refs are penalizing teams for foul play more this season and have been consistently penalising teams for bad tackles (particularly crushers).

IMO, this should have been happening years ago, when the wrestle was at its peak. They tried and failed a few times.

What I do like about the 6 again is the fact it doesn't give the opposition captain time to whinge to the ref. It has almost neutralised the impact of players like Cameron Smith on the flow of the game.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

It's not just crushers, they've also leaped upon this new thing where you drag a bloke down and onto you and twist his leg at the same time. I get the impression that regardless of Annesley, V'Landys and Abdo will back the refs to do what the NRL want them to. Which is clean up the game to ensure it has a future.

While I would like to see 6-agains get a bit more serious analysis (from the MSM, not here!) I do think it has helped the "flow". I also like that it has allowed the refs to have a response to whiney players. I've been at what looked like some appalling ref performances at Bruce this year (Storm in particular...) but when i go over the tape later, I can see why the ref was right and I wasn't - apart from them actually knowing the rules when I don't of course. The Bateman trip against the sharks is an obvious one, you couldn't see what it was for live or on the big screens but pretty obvious on tv. So now I understand why I've seen several officials give a little smirk at the crowd that is giving it to them. I kind of like that.

And I like that the ref can now say, basically, "So - are you gonna challenge it or what?"
big fat party animal
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brent Todd

Post by big fat party animal »

I know this site is all about pissing in Crokers pocket, but if you rate him any higher than a 3 you’ve lost all credibility.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

big fat party animal wrote:I know this site is all about pissing in Crokers pocket, but if you rate him any higher than a 3 you’ve lost all credibility.
I agree. But the bias will continue no doubt. He will probably get a rating the same as CNH or Williams.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"The first 25 minutes we had no footy and we didn't defend well. It was four tries to nil. It was really disappointing because we were passive in defence. We didn't start well. It was not us. I can handle the loss, I can understand the loss, but I'm just really disappointed we didn't have one of our better games tonight. That was the disappointing part from a coaching point of view. It was a game, from a coach, it disappoints you because you're better than that. But Melbourne did a really good job. They did a wonderful job of using the weight of possession they had. To our character and the resilience that is in the team, We hung around and tried to turn it around, but Melbourne just wouldn't let us. It made it a tough night.

I'm very proud of where we got to. I'm disappointed in not going one step further, because I think we're better than what we showed tonight. You can't take it for granted, in getting to this position in the season, because you fight so hard to get here. You put so much work into getting to this stage of the season. And for us to let ourselves down like that in the first 25 minutes is the disappointing part."

2020 Finals Week 3. Melbourne Storm 30 - Canberra Raiders 10. The match was sadly all over after 25 minutes. The Storm took a 24-0 lead scoring four tries. The Raiders have never come back from being 24 points down, let alone in a finals game. The Raiders started slowly, as they often have over the past three months. It is understandable that they started slowly, after playing a match of Grand Final intensity last week, and after being forced to fly in just hours before the match. However, the Raiders were off their best game, and you can't afford to do that against the Melbourne Storm. The Storm were on fire, and ruthlessly targeted every weakness in the Raiders' line up.

The Storm ran at the edges, starting with the left edge and wrong footing Jordan Rapana, before taking play back inside, attacking the fractured line. A try to prop Jesse Bromwich. Shortly afterwards, they again ran at the left, with Rapana and Nick Cotric coming in, leaving Josh Addo-Carr completely unmarked. He charged ahead and then passed back inside to Ryan Papenhuyzen for another try. Before 10 minutes had ticked over, Vunivalu scored another, after the Raiders were caught out on their right side. It was the last tackle and Semi Valemei failed to defuse the bomb. Broken play ensued, and the cover defence from Croker and others was caught napping. Flailing arms abounded from Canberra. Then, just past the 20 minute mark, Nick Cotric failed to bat the ball away in the in goal, after a Ryan Papenhuyzen kick. He should have dived on it. A try to Justin Olam.

Nothing had gone right for the Green Machine, but the Raiders then started to recover. A Cotric try, 10 minutes before the half time break, gave some faint hope. It proved to be forlorn. There was a try for each team in the second half. The Storm really didn't have to do much more. They had the game well within their keeping from the 25 minute mark.

It was a sad end to the season for the Green Machine. I'm proud of the courage, the grit and the determination that they showed this season. They had to deal with a horror travel burden, while other teams were handed dream draws. They had to deal with an horrific injury toll, with many of the forward pack - including play maker Josh Hodgson - sidelined with season ending injuries. Other players stepped up and the qualified for a Preliminary Final, the third in five years. It was a strong achievement. But it is still heart breaking to be knocked out, when the team got tantalisingly close.

Stats that mattered?

The Raiders ended the match with 48 per cent of possession and the territory was evenly shared. But it was the possession and territory in the first 25 minutes - which was was dominated by the Storm - that counted the most. The Raiders completed at just 71 per cent and posted a whopping 13 errors. In contrast, the Storm were clinical, making only four errors and completing at 88 per cent. The Raiders' kick defusal rate was just 33 per cent (Storm 38 per cent) and it proved costly. The Storm conceded six penalties, the Raiders one. The Storm conceded two ruck infringements, the Raiders one. However, Melbourne was barely impacted by the penalty count.

The Storm made more running metres (1366-1297), post contact metres (404-372), tackle breaks (34-29), metres per set (41-37) and kick return metres (159-139). That's despite the fact that the Raiders made more runs (180-148) and one more line break (4-3). The Storm kicked more (23-18) and made more kicking metres (666-497). That's one more thing that was unusual about this game for the Raiders. They kick more than just about every other team. They did manage to force three line drop out, the Storm two.

The Raiders had the better effective tackle rate (89 per cent, Storm 85 per cent). Canberra made more tackles (315-301) and conceded just seven ineffective tackles (the Storm 25). However, Canberra missed more tackles (34-29). The most critical defensive statistic for the Raiders was... five tries conceded.

Memorable moments?

There were not many memorable moments for Canberra. Cotric scored two tries, with the first coming from a smart kick from George Williams. Cotric regathered and somehow swiveled in the tackle, getting himself to the line. Sadly, the second was only a consolation try. There was a memorable moment in defence at the start of the second half when Sia Soliola, Siliva Havili and Dunamis Lui drove Dale Finucane back 10 metres and into the in goal. But for Canberra, the memorable moments were few and far between.

Best performers?

George Williams. Seven runs for 34 metres, one try assist, two tackle breaks, two offloads, 25 tackles.

Corey Harawira-Naera. 11 runs for 81 metres, 20 post contact metres, three tackle breaks, five offloads and 20 tackles in a stint of just 35 minutes. When he came onto the field, he showed vigour and produced threat, when other forwards did not.

Joe Tapine. 13 runs for 101 metres, 41 post contract metres, two offloads, 39 tackles, 100 per cent tackle efficiency. The only error was a ruck infringement.

Tom Starling looked sharp, but for some reason was only given 32 minutes. I guess it was hard to inject him, with the team struggling to right the ship in the first half. John Bateman, Joe Tapine and Hudson Young were the only forwards to top 100 running metres. They also topped the tackle count. Sia Soliola made a good contribution in a stint of 27 minutes. But Canberra's forward pack lost the battle with the Storm pack and the Raiders backs were sadly, overrun.

Nick Cotric scored two tries and made three line breaks and seven tackle breaks. Unfortunately, some critical moments from Cotric in defence also conceded points.

Top tacklers: Joe Tapine 39, John Bateman 33, Hudson Young 32
Most metres gained: John Bateman 128, Hudson Young 106, Nick Cotric 106

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 4
Nick Cotric 6
Jarrod Croker 4
Jordan Rapana 4
Semi Valemei 4
Jack Wighton 5
George Williams 7
Josh Papalii 6
Siliva Havilii 5
Hudson Young 7
John Bateman 7
Elliott Whitehead 6
Joe Tapine 7

Tom Starling 6
Sia Soliola 6
Dunamis Lui 5
Corey Harawira-Naera 7

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Through green eyes 2020

Post by gangrenous »

I’d take a point or two from Bateman and give one to CNK. CNK didn’t impact the game like normal, but I didn’t think he was as problematic as Croker, Valemei and Rapana. Bateman had a disappointing year and again was barely noticed. Can’t give that a 7.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

CNK doesn't deserve a 4.He didn't miss the tackles or sprint in during the first 20.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Croker 3, CNK 5 or 6
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Through green eyes 2020

Post by LastRaider »

I didn’t think any player deserved more than a 6 after that performance. Every player should be deducted 1 point.

In regards to Starling only getting 30 minutes, I am perplexed at that too. Havili was out on his feet after 20 minutes, he needed to come off then.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: 2020 Season Review

2020. It was a year that arrived with high hopes for Canberra Raiders fans. The Raiders were coming off their best season in 25 years. The Raiders had not made the Grand Final for a quarter of a century - and the Raiders got "oh so close" to a fourth premiership in 2019. 2020 would surely be the year that their long title drought would be broken? Surely the old adage would apply? That you have to lose a Grand Final to win one.

But the 2020 season turned out to be one like no other in the 113 year history of the game in Australia.

The year started with the country engulfed by bush fire and then engulfed in a pandemic. On the day the season began, the future of the game as we know it was put into doubt. After Round 2, the NRL was suspended due to coronavirus. Somehow, the NRL, led by ARLC chairman Peter V'landys, put a broken game back together. A shortened season resumed after two months.

Every club was faced with enormous challenges in 2020. But the Raiders faced more than most.

The bush fires meant it was unsafe to continue preseason training in Canberra, with the club forced to relocate temporarily to the Sunshine Coast so as to find some clear air.

After coronavirus struck, and the season resumed, the Raiders were forced to play their home games at Campbelltown Stadium. We were told it was due to coronavirus protocols, but it turned out it was for no good reason. At that point, the Raiders were the only team forced to travel more than an hour to all their matches. It was often more than three hours in a bus, each way, on game day. The Raiders were able to return to Canberra Stadium for their Round 8 home clash with the Dragons. But they still ended the season having spent over 50 hours in transit. That is believed to be close to double any other team. In contrast, some clubs barely left their local neighbourhood.

Most clubs were also struck by horrible injury tolls this year. Whether it was due to the interruption to the players' physical conditioning, or whether it was due to a faster paced game, we cannot be sure. But the Raiders turned out to be one of the clubs most affected by injury.

The forward pack, in particular, was decimated at one stage. By the time the Grand Final re-match came around in Round 10, the Raiders were missing six of their Grand Final team due to long term injury. The Green Machine was left with a squad of just 18 fit players who had any NRL experience. Their main play maker, Josh Hodgson, was out for the season. Star forward John Bateman had not played a game all year. Three of the top 17 middle forwards, Sia Soliola, Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler, were on the sidelines with serious injuries. It turned out that Horsburgh and Guler were lost for the season.

Despite all that, the Raiders finished in fifth place and played in a Preliminary Final, their third in the space of five years. They were in there fighting for a top four finish right up until the final round of the regular season. We've not seen that consistency of performance from Canberra since 1997. It told us a lot about the players who stepped up to fill the breach. It told us a lot about the courage, grit and determination of players and coaches.

There were some satisfying victories along the way - none more so than the two victories over the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground. The Round 10 win will go down in club history as one of the most courageous, given the injury toll. And then in Week 2 of the finals, the Raiders halted the Roosters' attempt to win three premierships in a row. Nothing will ever overcome the heartbreak of the 2019 Grand Final defeat, in controversial circumstances. But that was a little piece of revenge. The Round 3 win over eventual Grand Finalists, the Storm, in Melbourne was right up there, too.

Sadly, by the time the Preliminary Final came around, the Raiders looked spent. The injury and travel had finally taken their toll. After 25 minutes, the Storm had the game under control, but the fact that the Raiders steadied and "won" the final 55 minutes highlighted the character of the team.

In a season full of wildcards, there was one that the Raiders struggled to overcome. That was the sudden decision of the NRL to introduce two key changes to the way the game is officiated from Round 3. It appeared to be driven by a cabal of Peter V'landys and Graham Annesley, with virtually no consultation. First, the NRL reverted to a single referee. Second, a new "six again" call was introduced for ruck infringements, in place of full penalties. It did what it was intended to: to speed the game up and inject additional fatigue. It's produced a lot more points and bigger margins. It also led to more inconsistency in officiating and more, almost random, swings in momentum.

It no doubt upset some of the plans of coach Ricky Stuart. After the disappointment of missing the finals for two years in row in 2018, Stuart changed the style of his team, to focus on defence first. It was a more conservative style, more in the vein of the Storm, and it did come at the cost of the team's attack. However, it was remarkably successful. Last year. It was a style that was probably less suited to the new rules and it required adjustments on the run to both the attack and defence. Further adjustments will probably be needed in 2021.

So what do the statistics tell us about the team's season?

In 2020, the Raiders averaged just over 22 points and 3.9 tries scored per match. That's pretty much in line with 2019, when Canberra scored just under 22 points and 3.5 tries per game. They ranked sixth in the NRL for average points scored and seventh for tries scored - down one place on 2019. At the mid point of the year, the Raiders ranked 10th on tries scored - and Ricky Stuart admitted publicly that the Raiders' were not scoring enough points. It was an easier draw in the second half of the year, but the work on attack did produce some results.

Overall, though, the Raiders remained conservative team in attack. Only the Broncos threw fewer general play passes than the Raiders on average. The Raiders ranked third for one pass hit ups and 11th for offloads. They ranked first for dummy half runs - though that is not necessarily the indicator that it was of a conservative style. The new rules favoured that tactic. A lot of the attack went down the middle of the field. A third of Canberra's tries were scored in the middle of the field, more than any other team. If they weren't going down the middle, they were going left. Just a quarter of Canberra's tries came on their right side.

Despite the conservatism, the Raiders were found wanting, at least in relative terms, in completions and controlling possession. They finished with a completion rate of 78 per cent, down from just under 80 per cent in 2019. That compares to the benchmark of 82 per cent for the Panthers. The Raiders finished with an even share of possession (exactly 50 per cent, down from 51 per cent in 2019). But that compared to a very healthy 55 per cent for the Panthers and 52 per cent for the Storm. Canberra ranked fourth for fewest errors (9.7 per game) in 2019, but fourth for most errors in 2020 (11.4 per game). With a faster paced game, and momentum rewarded more than ever by the officiating, possession was gold - and the Raiders couldn't quite get the balance right between chancing their arm and controlling the ball.

In 2018, no team kicked less than the Raiders, and they ranked second for least kicking metres per game. That all changed last year. At one stage in 2019, they were top of the tree for kick and kick metres. By the end of that season, they ranked sixth for total kicks (21) and fifth for kick metres (565) per match. The Raiders replicated that strategy in 2020. If anything, the kicking improved with the injection of George Williams. They ranked sixth for kicks (22) and fourth for kick metres (606) on average in 2020. They posted just under two forced line drop outs per game (ranked seventh) and lot of the try assists came from Williams' pin point short kicking game.

Helped by the good kicking, the defence continued to be Canberra's relative strength. It was top notch at the start of the season, with the Raiders conceding just four tries in four of the five opening matches. But the defence did fall away a bit after that. Canberra finished fourth for the fewest points (16.7) conceded in the NRL on average, and third for fewest tries scored per game (2.8, behind the Panthers and Storm). That wasn't quite as good as 2019, when they conceded just over 15 points and 2.6 tries per match. The Raiders cut their missed tackles further (27.7 per match, compared with 29.9 per match in 2018) and ranked second for fewest ineffective tackles (13.9 per game, compared with 12 in 2019). They did give up more running metres this year (1446 per game, 1368 in 2019), reflecting the rule changes and faster rucks. But the defence was still pretty solid, particularly on the goal line.

That paints a picture of a good season, a little bit off the performance of 2019 as a whole. Not by much. And considering the challenges the team faced, it's even more impressive. But the Raiders were also not at the benchmark in either attack or defence. In particular, the attack will need to continue to evolve in 2021.

The performance of the Raiders' forwards was one highlight of 2020. John Bateman was missing for the first half of the season, while Sia Soliola, Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler were missing for the second half of the season, or more. The more experienced forwards, like Josh Papalii, Elliott Whitehead, Joe Tapine and Dunamis Lui really stood tall. Papalii was the best prop in the game. Lui was inspirational at times, after having been dropped mid season. And then the young forwards like Hudson Young and Ryan Sutton admirably filled the holes left by others.

The manner in which the spine adjusted to the loss of Josh Hodgson was the other highlight. Most commentators wrote off the Raiders' season when that happened. But the substitute hooking duo of Siliva Havili and Tom Starling did themselves proud. Neither of them is Josh Hodgson and never will be. But they brought their own styles to the role. Havili often bore the brunt of the opening exchanges, allowing the smaller, nippier Starling to be injected when the opposition tired. Starling gave quick, crisp service to the halves - or took advantage of space in the middle with dummy half runs.

That allowed the halves to shine. Jack Wighton and George Williams love to run. But Williams, in particular, took on more responsibility for play making. The English recruit had a great first season in the NRL. Meanwhile, Wighton simply grabbed games by the scruff of the neck when it was needed. I hesitate to say this... as no team is better without Josh Hodgson. But the spine looked like a more cohesive unit in the second half of the season. Ensuring that the spine gels in 2021, when Hodgson comes back into the side, is a key challenge for coach and team.

The backs were comparatively disappointing. They too had their problems with injury - and the combinations didn't get much chance to build. That was painfully exposed in the final game of the year, by the Storm. Bailey Simonsson played only seven games, before being ruled out for the season with a shoulder injury. Curtis Scott, faced with off field problems, didn't settle into the team well. He and Nick Cotric didn't combine effectively in defence, in particular. And just when it looked like Scott was settling in, injury intervened. He was ruled out for the season with a leg fracture after Round 16. Winger Semi Valemei played 10 games, taking the club's Rookie of the Year award, while young outside backs Harley Smith-Shields and Matt Timoko made their NRL debuts. There's talent there, but it is understandably still a bit green. With Cotric moving on, getting the back line purring is probably Ricky Stuart's biggest challenge next year.

Many commentators are now asking: Is the Raiders' premiership window closing? Some players, like Sia Soliola and Jordan Rapana are getting a little long in the tooth. Not only is Cotric departing, so is John Bateman. The Raiders brought second rower, Corey Harawira-Naera into the team mid-season. He'll be better in 2021. They've also brought in Gold Coast Titans prop Ryan James for next year. But the Raiders look like they will now largely gamble on youth. It's a gamble worth taking. Seven Raiders made their NRL debut this year. At least seven reasons why Raiders fans should be confident that the Raiders will be a contender again next year.

SEASON REPORT CARD

Attack: B
Defence: A
Forwards: A
Backs: C
Spine: B
Overall: A

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and for mine, the Raiders player of the year is again Josh Papalii. He shared the Meninga Medal with Jack Wighton and was one of four players sharing the Fans' Choice Player of the Year. He has again just been selected for Queensland, and is the best prop in the game. The Dally M voters have just caught onto that. He was Dally M Prop of the Year and also won the Tackle of the Year, for an extraordinary chase and ankle tap on Titans half Jamal Fogarty. That tackle summed up his determination and heart.

You could say that I haven't caught up with the Dally M voters, after Jack Wighton was awarded the Dally M Medal this week. Let me say up front, that I think Wighton was a very deserving winner of the Dally M. I certainly don't subscribe to the calls from the Sydney media for change in the Dally M voting system, simply because their favoured candidate did not win. The alternative system - a panel deciding at the end of the year who the best players have been - is a very poor one. It is much more open to all sorts of biases, including recency bias.

In any case, the points systems are different... and there's not a lot splitting him from Papalii in my points system. Wighton shared the Meninga Medal with Papalii - and he had a share of the Fans' Choice Player of the Year. Both Papalii and Wighton were right up there as the Raiders' best of the year.

Rounding out my top five are George Williams, Joe Tapine and Elliott Whitehead. Williams had a wonderful first season in the NRL, while Joe Tapine and Elliott Whitehead were possibly in the best form of their careers.

So here you have it. My top five Canberra Raiders for 2020:

1. Josh Papalii
2. Jack Wighton
3. George Williams
4. Joe Tapine
5. Elliott Whitehead

Total points:

Josh Papalii 159
Jack Wighton 156
George Williams 151
Joe Tapine 149
Elliott Whitehead 146
Nick Cotric 146
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 136
Jarrod Croker 135
Siliva Havili 129
Dunamis Lui 122
Hudson Young 121
Jordan Rapana 113
Ryan Sutton 105
Tom Starling 95
John Bateman 77
Curtis Scott 71
Sia Soliola 68
Corey Harrawira-Naera 63
Josh Hodgson 56
Semi Valemei 52
Emre Guler 49
Corey Horsburgh 40
Bailey Simonsson 34
Kai O'Donnell 22
Michael Oldfield 20
Harley Smith-Shields 12
Matt Timoko 12
Sam Williams 8
Matt Frawley 7
Adam Cook 5
Darby Medlyn 5
Jarrett Subloo 2

Average points per match:

Sam Williams 8.0
Josh Papalii 7.2
Joe Tapine 7.1
Jack Wighton 7.1
John Bateman 7.0
Matt Frawley 7.0
George Williams 6.9
Tom Starling 6.8
Hudson Young 6.7
Corey Horsburgh 6.7
Elliott Whitehead 6.6
Ryan Sutton 6.6
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 6.5
Nick Cotric 6.3
Josh Hodgson 6.2
Jarrod Croker 6.1
Emre Guler 6.1
Dunamis Lui 6.1
Harley Smith-Shields 6.0
Matt Timoko 6.0
Jordan Rapana 5.9
Corey Harrawira-Naera 5.7
Sia Soliola 5.7
Siliva Havili 5.6
Kai O'Donnell 5.5
Curtis Scott 5.5
Semi Valemei 5.2
Adam Cook 5.0
Darby Medlyn 5.0
Bailey Simonsson 4.9
Michael Oldfield 3.3
Jarrett Subloo 2.0

That’s the last regular column of the year. The Grand Final and three Origin matches are still to come... so I might yet be moved to write some more columns. Thanks to all who have been readers and contributors to the discussion this year.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I miss the boys already..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Well written and Thanks GE. Next year will be the one.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks Begbie!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I think most people's top five would be the same, with the rankings slightly altering.

I've got mine more weighted towards the impact of their performances towards results, and the quality of the opposition they did it against:

1. Papalii
2. George Williams
3. Whitehead
4. Wighton
5. Tapine

Clearly the best five players of the season IMO regardless of the order.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think the top 5 is really quite clear and a decent drop off beyond them
My order:

1. Papalii

2. Whitehead
3. Tapine
4. Williams
5. Wighton

Wouldnt argue what so ever about the order of 2-5. I could wake up tomorrow and have them ranked differently. Not much between them. Papalii hands down the best player at this club.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I have Papalii as our clear best forward and Wighton as our best back. Papalii pips Wighton for number 1, hard to think back and remember him having many bad moments, let alone games.

Williams, Tapine and Whitehead do fill out my 3 to 5 in no particular order

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Didn't read all that Fergus. Ain't nobody got time to for that.

If we don't win a comp next year we're done for a few years

Papa, Croker, Hodgo, Rapana, Lui, Whitehead, all aging, no Cotric or Jonneh, no speed, but lots of heart.

Back to a top 8 side.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Interesting to read about V'landys pushing for your player point scoring system for future Dally M awards, GE.

You kept that discussion quiet mate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: October 23, 2020, 6:37 pm Interesting to read about V'landys pushing for your player point scoring system for future Dally M awards, GE.

You kept that discussion quiet mate.
I only became aware of it after I wrote the article. It makes a lot more sense than Rothfield’s proposal. Obviously, I think it’s a pretty good system, because that’s the one I’ve used for quite a while. Rugby League Week used it for many, many years. But I’m also happy for a 3-2-1 voting system for the Dally M. It is traditional. And sometimes, traditions are good to maintain.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think the issue with the 3-2-1 system is that there is not enough reward for players in the same team. I think Jack is a deserving Dally M winner.

I looked at the Dally M points table with Jack winning on 26. The list goes down to 16 points earned by Ponga, but Papa is not sighted down to 16 points. I think the Meninga medal gave a better indication of the merits of both players. We all look for different things in matches and from players. Papa was a bedrock player of our side and outstanding right across all clubs in the competition this year in his position. I know he was named in the Dally M team of the year but I reckon his value to the Raiders and consistency of performance should have seen him closer to Jack in the Dally M points table. The current points system doesn't allow for multiple players with different roles who are playing outstanding football to be recognized imo.