11%

Total votes: 9

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2020 Finals Week 2 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Coastalraider »

Begbie wrote: October 9, 2020, 9:47 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 9, 2020, 9:42 pm Impressed by Robinson in the presser. In the past he's come across as a bit of an dick when things don't go their way. Tonight he's owning the loss. Not making any excuses.
Yeah he's a decent bloke.
Took 8.5 minutes to mention there was another team out there though.....
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m a bit bemused about so many comments floating around the web about us playing a ‘rested’ Melbourne next week.

Given the fact they rested 10 players in round 20, the vast majority of their squad will have only played 1 game in nearly 4 weeks. They played Souths in round 17 which was a solid match, then cowboys, tigers then the round 20 ‘resting’ game against the dragons. I can’t say the Parra game was all that tough in them either. They have hardly been tested and have no momentum at all.

Conversely, we had a rest week in round 20, beat the sharks in a semi decent match, then found the best for of the year this week. We have won 11 from our last 13. We are in form and have all the momentum.

I know which team I’d rather be...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The chooks were offloading for fun.

I couldn't understand why our boys couldn't shut that down.

It was frustrating.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Coastalraider wrote: October 10, 2020, 5:57 am I’m a bit bemused about so many comments floating around the web about us playing a ‘rested’ Melbourne next week.

Given the fact they rested 10 players in round 20, the vast majority of their squad will have only played 1 game in nearly 4 weeks. They played Souths in round 17 which was a solid match, then cowboys, tigers then the round 20 ‘resting’ game against the dragons. I can’t say the Parra game was all that tough in them either. They have hardly been tested and have no momentum at all.

Conversely, we had a rest week in round 20, beat the sharks in a semi decent match, then found the best for of the year this week. We have won 11 from our last 13. We are in form and have all the momentum.

They're all looking over their shoulder mate..
We are firing, led by "rolling thunder" up front.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
boomer
David Shillington

Post by boomer »

Coastalraider wrote: October 10, 2020, 5:57 am I’m a bit bemused about so many comments floating around the web about us playing a ‘rested’ Melbourne next week.

This. I think we are better positioned for this match than Melbourne. Absolute master stroke from.sticky resting our boys rd20. Knowing we.can.win the comp from any position. Winning outside the top 4 means nothing..I wouldn't be surprised to see no. 5 vs. No.6 in the grand final

Edit: a quick note. I actually think thr top 4 stat about winning the comp is invalid this year.. if it were a full competition we finish top 4. No doubt in my mind. So we basically are a top 4 side.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

zim wrote: October 9, 2020, 9:26 pm How good were Valemei and Young tonight? That's a real step up.
Valemei reminded me of Noa Nadruku with his running game and post contact meters, he has come of age
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Don't think I've ever been prouder of a Canberra footy team.

And I love players stepping up and making me look stupid. George Williams has really started to adapt this last month and just plays to the game plan perfectly. Valemei was absolutely sensational. Ridiculously good for a kid how bloody solid he was. And Hudson Young. There were a couple of big games last season where he showed glimpses of stepping up in them. Really seems that sort of player he was sensational last night.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2020, 12:56 am **** me, watching footage of Tapine's try. Incredible. Only a VERY small handful of forwards in the game of similar size would be capable of doing that, and one of them has recently signed for the Titans at a whopping $1.25M per year.

Thank **** we've got him signed until 2023.
Him and Papa do their best work when they’re given a lot of ball and a lot of responsibility.

I have no issues with Lui and Sia being “quiet” last night, we should be playing the majority of the game through our best players, playing to our strengths.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

julian87 wrote: October 10, 2020, 6:08 am Don't think I've ever been prouder of a Canberra footy team.

And I love players stepping up and making me look stupid. George Williams has really started to adapt this last month and just plays to the game plan perfectly. Valemei was absolutely sensational. Ridiculously good for a kid how bloody solid he was. And Hudson Young. There were a couple of big games last season where he showed glimpses of stepping up in them. Really seems that sort of player he was sensational last night.
I can't exclude Rapana from that list, we all thought he'd get schooled in defence but I actually thought he really stepped up against Morris.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2020, 12:02 am Third prelim in five years. Who the **** is this team?

Still not a huge achievement, but considering the poverty of the 20 prior years....
The more you make - and the more GFs you make - the better chance you give yourself of winning one.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Have to say. Big question mark on all 3 Roosters tries. 1st one was a forward pass, albeit marginal. 2nd try a blatant obstruction the bunker chose to ignore. Last try was a clear forward pass.
I thought their first try was ok. The second one... Croker was blowing up about it - he was penalised for an obstruction only moments earlier, Flanagan was obstructed as much as Croker was. And yep that third try was definitely forward. There was a lot of forward passes let go. We did get the rub of the green in the first half and Klein flipped it in the second.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wiki Special wrote:
Azza wrote: October 9, 2020, 10:36 pm Also might I add Brad Fittler is an absolute dunce of a commentator, up there with Anasta.
He is horrendous.
His favouritism was nauseating.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:11 am
Northern Raider wrote:Have to say. Big question mark on all 3 Roosters tries. 1st one was a forward pass, albeit marginal. 2nd try a blatant obstruction the bunker chose to ignore. Last try was a clear forward pass.
I thought their first try was ok. The second one... Croker was blowing up about it - he was penalised for an obstruction only moments earlier, Flanagan was obstructed as much as Croker was. And yep that third try was definitely forward. There was a lot of forward passes let go. We did get the rub of the green in the first half and Klein flipped it in the second.

Decisions on obstruction this year have been terrible. So often they've pulled it up where defense has been slightly inconvenienced. Other times like the Manu try they say it has no impact when it obviously did. I really don't know what the rule is any more.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: October 10, 2020, 6:39 am
julian87 wrote: October 10, 2020, 6:08 am Don't think I've ever been prouder of a Canberra footy team.

I can't exclude Rapana from that list, we all thought he'd get schooled in defence but I actually thought he really stepped up against Morris.
Yep. Statistically Rapana had a lot of missed tackles but he was consistently stopping his opponent. Positionally he was excellent.

He also should have scored when he passed to George for his try. Don't think he realised he had Aubusson beaten for pace.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I was surprised the obstruction on Croker didn't get more of a mention too, yep...

Aubusson clearly over-ran the ball and was in the defensive line
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

What have we done to deserve Ginnane two matches in a row? I really hope he isn't up in the box next weekend - he had a serial fixation on the Roosters.

I hope we remember we have challenges to use next week. Surely we could have challenged the Tupou play the ball penalty on the premise it was a knock on.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Only got back home after a night down South, and watched the game (Friday evening here), so I'm not going to go back and read scores of pages of posts, but what a game! Relatively quiet game for George, but showed good support for his try, and his defence in that "where was Tupou?" moment in the second half was crucial. If his kick for Wighton got a fortunate bounce, well, the peach of play for CNK, which was very well defended by Butcher, deserved a try. It seemed to occur to the Roosters late in the game that they'd get more joy attacking down their right, rather than the left, and it nearly paid off for them. Manu is indeed a very good player, there are so many talented centres in the NRL right now. JB was good too. Whitehead needs to lose his habit of sticking a leg out; hasn't he been pinged for a trip before this season? As it turned out, the Roosters scored anyway, but he could have been seeing ten minutes and a ban for that. Papalii awesome of course.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

Funny thing about Tapine's try, good as it was, he only got the ball because a bludger of a pass went right over Williams' head and he picked it up. Roosters' defensive coach would not be impressed by that, though.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

OK, now I'm going to my recording of our game against Warrington. I am not optimistic. :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:

Decisions on obstruction this year have been terrible. So often they've pulled it up where defense has been slightly inconvenienced. Other times like the Manu try they say it has no impact when it obviously did. I really don't know what the rule is any more.
That decision was a disgrace. You pretty clearly have video referees with very different interpretations of obstruction.

From the video ref comments last night it sounded like whoever it was ruled that because ultimately Croker had a chance to tackle Manu that the earlier obstruction didn’t count. That’s not the rule. Annesley should call that out, but he won’t. Shame on the commentary not forcing him to talk to it as well.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:What have we done to deserve Ginnane two matches in a row? I really hope he isn't up in the box next weekend - he had a serial fixation on the Roosters.

I hope we remember we have challenges to use next week. Surely we could have challenged the Tupou play the ball penalty on the premise it was a knock on.
Yeah I was screaming at the tv to challenge that penalty. But they weren't listening.

Fitler was probably equally awful to listen to.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

That decision was a disgrace. You pretty clearly have video referees with very different interpretations of obstruction.

From the video ref comments last night it sounded like whoever it was ruled that because ultimately Croker had a chance to tackle Manu that the earlier obstruction didn’t count. That’s not the rule. Annesley should call that out, but he won’t. Shame on the commentary not forcing him to talk to it as well.
Yep... Maybe if Croker just threw his arms in the air or took a dive he would have won the penalty. They have to at least be consistent on it in the same game.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:What have we done to deserve Ginnane two matches in a row? I really hope he isn't up in the box next weekend - he had a serial fixation on the Roosters.

Yeah I was screaming at the tv to challenge that penalty. But they weren't listening.

I think this one is a tricky call to make tactically. I think that was a dropped ball and would be called as such -70% of the time by the ref. Once it’s called a penalty and referred though, the video ref is charged with completely disproving the decision. If any player still had the slightest touch on him up until not long before he drops it then they’ll stick the decision and we lose our challenge too early in the game.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:23 am What have we done to deserve Ginnane two matches in a row? I really hope he isn't up in the box next weekend - he had a serial fixation on the Roosters.

Honestly you thought he was bad, you should have listened to the love fest for the Roosters on Ch Nein, particularly Fittler who is monosyllabic at best
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I thought the ref had a good game....believe me thats rare for me to say.
The only Roosters try i had a problem with was the forward pass from Touponoua to Teddy....it was thrown forward.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Azza wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:42 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:23 am What have we done to deserve Ginnane two matches in a row? I really hope he isn't up in the box next weekend - he had a serial fixation on the Roosters.

Honestly you thought he was bad, you should have listened to the love fest for the Roosters on Ch Nein, particularly Fittler who is monosyllabic at best
Ginnane is MILES ahead of Andrew Voss or any of the rabble on Nien.

Warran Smith is my pick but he rarely calls our games.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah I actually think Ginnane is pretty good towards us. And yes I thought Klein had a good game.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote:

I don't usually care about commentators, but Freddie was a bit much. One decision he said that the Roosters were unlucky? Unlucky Freddie? Keary was a metre and a half offside.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GreenMachine wrote:I thought the ref had a good game....believe me thats rare for me to say.
The only Roosters try i had a problem with was the forward pass from Touponoua to Teddy....it was thrown forward.
I'd agree with this. There were a few forward passes let go, but no more than usual. That pass to Tedesco for their last try was clearly forward. Some of the other decisions were line ball but I didn't have a problem with them.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Azza wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:45 am Yeah I actually think Ginnane is pretty good towards us. And yes I thought Klein had a good game.
I thought Klein was fine too. Calls go both ways in such a big match - we had some 50/50s go our way.

It's the put on excited voice from Ginnane that winds me up. We actually have both commentaries as an option here in NZ. Nine was like a retirement home, Fox was like excited teenagers. What Warren Smith has done to be relegated below Ginnane I'll never know.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

gangrenous wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:40 am
gergreg wrote:

I think this one is a tricky call to make tactically. I think that was a dropped ball and would be called as such -70% of the time by the ref. Once it’s called a penalty and referred though, the video ref is charged with completely disproving the decision. If any player still had the slightest touch on him up until not long before he drops it then they’ll stick the decision and we lose our challenge too early in the game.
My only thought is it may have been a discretionary penalty if it wasn't for a strip. Seemed like it was for a strip though.

Definitely a better challenge than the 1 in 1000000 longshot we went for a few minutes later.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on October 10, 2020, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:50 am
Azza wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:45 am Yeah I actually think Ginnane is pretty good towards us. And yes I thought Klein had a good game.
I thought Klein was fine too. Calls go both ways in such a big match - we had some 50/50s go our way.

It's the put on excited voice from Ginnane that winds me up. We actually have both commentaries as an option here in NZ. Nine was like a retirement home, Fox was like excited teenagers. What Warren Smith has done to be relegated below Ginnane I'll never know.
Yeah I hear you, but honestly it was hard to believe how bad Fittler was. I listened to the first half on 9 and I couldn't stand how often he was interrupting with pointless comments. I had to switch to Fox at half time.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:36 am
gangrenous wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Yep... Maybe if Croker just threw his arms in the air or took a dive he would have won the penalty. They have to at least be consistent on it in the same game.

Yep, bunker always seems happy to reward the player who makes no effort to tackle of they suspect an instruction. Croker pulls off some Morris like theatrics then it gets pulled back.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:19 am

All true.

But what really pissed me off was that Toots was so busy waving his arms he missed the opportunity for a clear second effort at the tackle which would have shut the play down.

Yes, he was initially impacted initially. But he had more than enough opportunity to tackle him prior to the try.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: October 10, 2020, 8:05 am
Northern Raider wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:19 am

All true.

But what really pissed me off was that Toots was so busy waving his arms he missed the opportunity for a clear second effort at the tackle which would have shut the play down.

Yes, he was initially impacted initially. But he had more than enough opportunity to tackle him prior to the try.
One thing overlooked in that Manu try. Whitehead channelling Darius Boyd in the last line of defense.