Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by gerg »

Maybe our back 5 don't look quite as sensational as some other sides because of our style of play. Cotric while held aloft as some sort of superstar in our side has looked pretty ordinary this season if we want to objectively compare him to the in form wingers in the competition.

We all whinged about having dud halves and an inferior spine for years upon years. Now we have a spine that can compete with the better sides and people want to complain about our back 5? We're not the Roosters or Broncos (pre-2020) here. We can't have a player in every single position on the field that is regarded as a top 3 - 5 player in his position.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: October 8, 2020, 2:41 pm Maybe our back 5 don't look quite as sensational as some other sides because of our style of play. Cotric while held aloft as some sort of superstar in our side has looked pretty ordinary this season if we want to objectively compare him to the in form wingers in the competition.

We all whinged about having dud halves and an inferior spine for years upon years. Now we have a spine that can compete with the better sides and people want to complain about our back 5? We're not the Roosters or Broncos (pre-2020) here. We can't have a player in every single position on the field that is regarded as a top 3 - 5 player in his position.

I don't see anyone arguing that. We just need a couple of threats in the backline with speed. Without Nico we won't have any, save for maybe an emerging Timoko, and even Nico doesn't have much speed.

That should absolutely be attainable with the right cap management. Instead, we've gone and chosen to pay 600k a year to a declining Croker who was never worth that, and extend a rapidly declining Rapana - it's not as if the money hasn't been there.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 8, 2020, 2:41 pm Maybe our back 5 don't look quite as sensational as some other sides because of our style of play. Cotric while held aloft as some sort of superstar in our side has looked pretty ordinary this season if we want to objectively compare him to the in form wingers in the competition.

I don't see anyone arguing that. We just need a couple of threats in the backline with speed. Without Nico we won't have any, save for maybe an emerging Timoko, and even Nico doesn't have much speed.

That should absolutely be attainable with the right cap management. Instead, we've gone and chosen to pay 600k a year to a declining Croker who was never worth that, and extend a rapidly declining Rapana - it's not as if the money hasn't been there.
I bet you could teach Donny and Stick a thing or two about running a team and how to manage a cap. Aye, aye.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Wouldn't expect a different kind of response from you, tbh.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:Wouldn't expect a different kind of response from you, tbh.
It got what it deserved. Fancy having such a pathetic vendetta against the captain of the team you support.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Vendetta?

Only one with that here is you, pal. You can't talk footy, so your MO is resorting to the lowest form of wit.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Meh. I don't come here to tell professional sports people how they should play or how they can improve. I don't come here to tell coaches and administrators how to do their jobs. They know a damn sight more than some Neville nobody like me and YOU. I come here to support my club and engage in a little banter.

But you keep on pretending or believing you know better than these professionals. I don't have any vendetta.

- a prolonged bitter quarrel with or campaign against someone.

Last year it was Sezer as your main target. Now he has gone it's Croker.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: October 8, 2020, 7:02 pm Meh. I don't come here to tell professional sports people how they should play or how they can improve. I don't come here to tell coaches and administrators how to do their jobs. They know a damn sight more than some Neville nobody like me and YOU. I come here to support my club and engage in a little banter.

But you keep on pretending or believing you know better than these professionals. I don't have any vendetta.

- a prolonged bitter quarrel with or campaign against someone.

Last year it was Sezer as your main target. Now he has gone it's Croker.

This is a discussion forum, bud. Many people come here to give their opinions and tell it how they think it should be. That doesn't mean I or anyone else is an expert, because we're not - it goes without saying. That being said, those two in question are far from perfect and have made loads of wrong moves, because if they hadn't, we'd have a much better record and a trophy cabinet that hasn't been empty over the past decade or so they've been here wouldn't we.

I'm not telling them how to do their jobs, because unless they are on this message board or administer it, it isn't being directed towards them. It's an opinion shared with fellow fans, that's it. On the other hand, all you're doing here is simply trying to conflate someone's reasonable criticism with a 'vendetta', which you're using a ruse since you're actually the one with the clear agenda here, illustrated by getting prickly about a line of criticism that has been shared by many in recent times, in a post that was barely about him. It's not the first time either.

I call it how I see it and take both sides on players, as my record will show. I couldn't care less about which exact player plays for us so long as the club is aiming to be the absolute best it can, as opposed to agenda driven muppets who take player criticism personally and defend them to within an inch of their lives, no matter what kind of form they're in.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It was only weeks ago that you were stomping your feet demanding evidence that Croker was a good leader after you've been bagging him for years. You pissed and moaned about nobody providing evidence and then several people did, and you refused to accept it. I think from memory you refused to even read it because there was too much evidence provided. That sounds like a vendetta to me.

I've got no problem calling players out when they are out of form - I have done this myself *even with Croker* but there comes a point where you've kind of got to let it go.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

So we have signed Aekins from the Panthers? Is he any good?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Why are you insisting that this be about Croker? :lol:

This is exactly what I mean by your agenda. It's an off-line providing an example to illustrate my point, in a post about the overall condition of our backline - a topic that I have posted about a lot recently, where I've named most of the players in that backline and probably mentioned Croker the least.

Despite that, you take exception to him merely being mentioned, and instead of taking the point on its merits and debating it, which I know you can't do well, you take the piss easy way out and manipulatively try to tag it as a 'vendetta', despite that exact concern being shared by a whole bunch of posters on here recently.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders666 wrote: October 8, 2020, 7:58 pm So we have signed Aekins from the Panthers? Is he any good?
Really ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

-PJ- wrote: October 8, 2020, 8:03 pm
Raiders666 wrote: October 8, 2020, 7:58 pm So we have signed Aekins from the Panthers? Is he any good?
Really ?
Yep that's what if says in the Daily Telegraph
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Panthers mate says he is very solid...Does the small things right but not a great attacker..Maybe he will play wing?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

sorry can't post a link because of the paywall my mate just sent me the screenshot
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:Why are you insisting that this be about Croker? Image

This is exactly what I mean by your agenda. It's an off-line providing an example to illustrate my point, in a post about the overall condition of our backline - a topic that I have posted about a lot recently, where I've named most of the players in that backline and probably mentioned Croker the least.

Despite that, you take exception to him merely being mentioned, and instead of taking the point on its merits and debating it, which I know you can't do well, you take the piss easy way out and manipulatively try to tag it as a 'vendetta', despite that exact concern being shared by a whole bunch of posters on here recently.
Like I pointed out it is a waste of time debating a players merits with you - Croker or Sezer for example - because you cbf even reading it if it doesn't match up with the opinion you have rightly or wrongly framed of a player.

You brought up Croker as being a part of our back 5 problem because of how much he is being paid. It is just an unwarranted cheap shot, again, from you. I had been suggesting that we are a team that pays and plays to our strengths. We have expensive halves and forwards so that's the focal point of our style of play. I pointed out that we had a crap spine and were pretty ordinary and the club decided to go in a different direction. But that other direction means we can't afford strike players in positions 1 - 5. Our best bet is bringing young guys through and hope there is a couple of gooduns amongst them. They all clearly lookup to a player like Croker and they can learn a lot from him.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: October 8, 2020, 8:46 pmLike I pointed out it is a waste of time debating a players merits with you - Croker or Sezer for example - because you cbf even reading it if it doesn't match up with the opinion you have rightly or wrongly framed of a player.
Lol. Since when - have you tried?

Nope. All you've done here is respond to a serious post I've made with lame sarcasm. Of course, you don't want to debate it, because to re-iterate a) you have an agenda and b) you don't have the ability to do so.

I'll give you a hot tip - any guy that I lay into, I know their game VERY well. Details of which I won't be across for guys that I don't or haven't. So please, if you want to debate them, I'm right up for it - just don't hide behind some apologist agenda and misrepresent me by saying I don't. I'd much rather talk in depth about any aspect of the game than respond to weak wise cracks at posters that end in 'Aye aye'.

You brought up Croker as being a part of our back 5 problem because of how much he is being paid. It is just an unwarranted cheap shot, again, from you.
In what way? You've made a post about not being able to have a backline of stars, presumably due to natural cap limitations or in other words $$$. No one in their right mind wouldn't want one if the means to do so was there - right?

I've agreed but said we still do need a few although paying guys like Croker what I and MANY believe is overs may hinder that ability. That would be judged on things such as his level of performance, his new salary which was widely reported on, what market rate for centres seem to currently be, which seems to have diminished in value, to name a few.

That is not unwarranted in any way shape or form. It's your agenda that's trying to have an opinion like that suppressed, because not only do you turn a topic that's not about him towards him, you also seemingly feel the guy is above criticism. I'd say it about anyone.

I pointed out that we had a crap spine and were pretty ordinary and the club decided to go in a different direction.
So you agree Sezer was crap, but take exception to criticism of him. Make your **** mind up :lol: What's more, he's GONE. Get over it.

But that other direction means we can't afford strike players in positions 1 - 5.
That's great. Again, I don't believe anyone's actually said that though. You're taking up a battle here that doesn't exist - unless what you actually mean is that we can't afford single strike player in positions 1 through to 5.... meaning paying a guy like Croker 600k p.a, a wage that is believed he would never be able to obtain at another club, should be brought even more into question.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You want me to waste my time rebutting your argument? You're not worth it champ.

But go for it. You keep bagging the players out, if that's what you want to do.

Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Jeez some people are sensitive around here. Opinions which may criticize players, coaches and administrators are allowed... There are enough funds within the salary cap for us to keep our good forwards/halves and still have some strike in the backs. At this stage we have very little strike there despite having good money invested into them. Are we generally happy with where the team is at? I am - it's great to be able to support a competitive team again! But until we have a premiership the team can and must be better and fan forums are in part for discussing how we think they could be better. When our team is a genuine premiership threat it's the 1%ers that become even more important.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: October 8, 2020, 9:43 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 8, 2020, 6:46 am Is Justin Olam now considered an elite player?
I didn't say he was an elite player. When assessing the attacking threats in backlines, I rightly pointed out that as a centre he's had a back half ofthe season as good as anyone and better than 90% of the comp in attack.

But you guys go wherever you want with it. (I do think Olam has developed really well and is rapidly expanding his game and improving his positional and decision making play)

Brenk gets brought up... again... the point was that whatever other dross is around, other teams have some outright attacking stars in the back 5. We do not (sans Cotric).

The point was not they are ALL stars. Or whether they just look like stars when playing for MElbourbe- i wouldnt have to make the point if OUR guys looked like stars when playign for us and no one else.

If Cotric goes and looks awful for Dogs, it won't change the fact we've lost a very good player and replaced him with no one and that we have what looks like- on paper, the least threatening backline of any top 6 team next year.

(cue for people start trying to tell me Latrell can't play because he simultaneously manages to top all try and line break assist charts while doing nothing for his team...)
Fair enough.

If we get through this week I'd personally like to see Bateman step it up and target Olam in defence. Olam hits hard, but has a tendency to jam in and take nobody, or bounce off tackles, which I think both Bateman and Rapana have the size and physicality to exploit.

On Mitchell, I reckon the Souths fans are pretty happy with how their attack is functioning the past couple of weeks. I'm pretty done with that debate. I get why people love watching his highlights, I just like to see a more rounded 80 minute game from a fullback. Simple as that really.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: October 8, 2020, 2:41 pm Cotric while held aloft as some sort of superstar in our side has looked pretty ordinary this season if we want to objectively compare him to the in form wingers in the competition.
I could not disagree more with this. He's been top of the tree this season. He's played outside a halfback with no ball play and a centre rotation of Scott, Timoko, Rapana and Oldfield.

He has been absolutely sensational in pretty much every aspect and just hasn't been afforded the attacking opportunities of the wingers you're comparing him to IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

You know its time for popcorn when the "champ" lines come out..
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Just on our style of play I think a genuine speedster on the wing would really compliment it. It would keep teams honest defending us down the middle and open up more chances for Papalii, Tapine, young and the hookers around the ruck. If defences over commit a quick spread has them in trouble
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 8, 2020, 2:41 pm Cotric while held aloft as some sort of superstar in our side has looked pretty ordinary this season if we want to objectively compare him to the in form wingers in the competition.
I could not disagree more with this. He's been top of the tree this season. He's played outside a halfback with no ball play and a centre rotation of Scott, Timoko, Rapana and Oldfield.

He has been absolutely sensational in pretty much every aspect and just hasn't been afforded the attacking opportunities of the wingers you're comparing him to IMO.
Yes that's true. I thought he was very good early in the year but had a drop in the middle of the year. Not entirely his fault as the opposition is kicking well away from him but I'd still like him to go hunting the ball a bit more.

Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Fullback Caleb Aekins one year deal and winger Elijah Anderson train and trial.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not that I was too interested in signing him...

Dragons star Tristan Sailor arrested over sexual assault allegations: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 83cbd79d56
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2020, 12:21 pm Not that I was too interested in signing him...

Dragons star Tristan Sailor arrested over sexual assault allegations: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 83cbd79d56
Ouch.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'm reminded that I miss that Keyboard Warrior guy. I hope he's ok. Seriously.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Which one was he?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

zim wrote: October 14, 2020, 8:18 pm Which one was he?
Someone who genuinely needed his keyboard (and voice recognition software) to be able to express himself - ie his name was ironic but not, unlike most. Go a few years back and you'll see he was posting.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Spotted. This afternoon. Paul Vaughan at The Dock on the Kingston Foreshore.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

In today's Newcastle Herald there's a story saying Mason Lino is being discussed as a replacement for Sam Williams if he should leave Canberra.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's a handy backup half, wouldn't be too unhappy with that if we lose Sam

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yep I'd take Lino. Can kick goals as well.