OFFICIAL: Sia Soliola re-signs with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

OFFICIAL: Sia Soliola re-signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: Sia Soliola re-signs with the Canberra Raiders on one year deal

Since arriving in Canberra Soliola has extended his contract on two separate occasions and this new one-year deal will see him remain with the club next season.

“I’m really pumped. First and foremost, I want to thank the club for giving me another opportunity to play,” Soliola said. “The year I’ve had has been a strange one but it its really nice at 34 to be playing the game I love. I’m really enjoying it and it’s a great group of guys and I think this club is going to be a consistent title contender for the future and I want to be part of that.”

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... e-raiders/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: OFFICIAL: Sia Soliola re-signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by RedRaider »

I'm very happy with this outcome. On field and off field he is of benefit to the Raiders. Well done to DFJ and Sticky for this result.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I’m happy!
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Great news!!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One year is good, love Sia. Suspect it will be a retirement year, but hope he stays with the club for a long time.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Great move by the club. Sia will play a solid role both on and off the field.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

So who do we lose? Surely we can't carry as many quality forwards as we have?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I've been watching this young feller coming up through the ranks, keep an eye on him, he's gonna be good.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders666 wrote:So who do we lose? Surely we can't carry as many quality forwards as we have?
Bateman out, James and Rushton in.

Then those development guys in Kai and Darby knocking on the door.

Not sure but it's pretty crazy.

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola signs one-year contract extension at Canberra Raiders

Canberra has received a major morale boost ahead of Friday's sudden-death semi final against the Sydney Roosters with veteran prop Sia Soliola penning a one-year extension at the club.

"As forwards we've got that responsibility to try and really lay a great platform," Soliola said. "It's cliche but it's something that's never changed right from the start in rugby league when they first played it. We understand the big responsibility and the challenge that we have again, in particular with that Roosters pack, we know what they bring.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: October 6, 2020, 6:15 pm Sia Soliola signs one-year contract extension at Canberra Raiders

Canberra has received a major morale boost ahead of Friday's sudden-death semi final against the Sydney Roosters with veteran prop Sia Soliola penning a one-year extension at the club.

"As forwards we've got that responsibility to try and really lay a great platform," Soliola said. "It's cliche but it's something that's never changed right from the start in rugby league when they first played it. We understand the big responsibility and the challenge that we have again, in particular with that Roosters pack, we know what they bring.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
I just love it when I hear the leaders amongst the players repeating the mantra from the coach over and over. Jarrod Croker used almost exactly the same words. That's the mantra for our forwards, this week.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raiders666 wrote: October 6, 2020, 2:49 pm So who do we lose? Surely we can't carry as many quality forwards as we have?
We're definitely stacked. Not sure who misses out next year to be honest. I assume the club is banking on having heaps of long-term injuries like this year. We have:

Papalii
Hodgson
Soliola
CHN
Whitehead
Tapine

Starling
Havili
Lui
Young
Sutton
Horsborough
Guler
James
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bearing in mind we currently have Sutton, Guler and Horsburgh on the sidelines, I still agree that there maybe one too many middles in the first grade squad next season.

With Bateman departing and James arriving I think the squad is a bit unbalanced with hardly any genuine depth at second row. Whitehead, Harawira-Naera, Young and O'Donnell currently fill those spots, however it also depends on whether they can get Harry Rushton out here from the UK before the season starts. Fingers crossed - he sounds a real prospect.

Hodgo, Starling and Havili is great depth at hooker though.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Finchy wrote: October 6, 2020, 9:05 pm
Raiders666 wrote: October 6, 2020, 2:49 pm So who do we lose? Surely we can't carry as many quality forwards as we have?
We're definitely stacked. Not sure who misses out next year to be honest. I assume the club is banking on having heaps of long-term injuries like this year. We have:

Papalii
Hodgson
Soliola
CHN
Whitehead
Tapine

Starling
Havili
Lui
Young
Sutton
Horsborough
Guler
James
I personally think next year is our year to win the comp. We're really just one strike weapon in the backline away. For this reason if we don't win the comp I hope Penrith do, and come back without the hunger.

Really hard to get a first choice forward pack out of those options. Guler and Horsborough will command a spot every weekend. I guess we'll also have great rotation options.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's honestly one too many middles, given the quality and fact none of those guys would be on near minimum. For balance really one should be a 2nd rower depth or an outside back.

You'd hope maybe the deal with Sia was that he'll play plenty of reserve grade and step up during origin/injury/loss of form. Otherwise Hors/Guler/Sutton/James will be blocked. All at a stage when they are still developing and improving week to week if they get a consistent run and all potential rep players (Sutton not too far from England shirt without Graham and a Burgii or two anymore).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

James is also coming off 2 years of no football.

He should be starting in reserves

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: October 7, 2020, 12:38 pm James is also coming off 2 years of no football.

He should be starting in reserves

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Agreed. He also took a $300k per season pay cut for the chance to resurrect his career here. I can see why the Raiders have thrown the dice on him. Good luck to him if he walks into our top 17. It means he has beat out some pretty good competition.

Soliola will surely retire at the end of 2021, by which stage both Lui and James will be 30+.

Papa will obviously be here for 5 more years and they have locked Sutton, Horsburgh and Tapine in for a few more seasons.

IMO the big questions are whether Guler will stick around beyond 2021 and if James can bounce back from injury. If Soliola retires, Guler departs and James doesn't work out then in 2022 we are suddenly a bit light on again.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This is an interesting conversation. It's odd. The injuries to Guler and Horsburgh may just give the club a bit of extra time on them with them out of the limelight currently. I know some players like Sutton, Lui and Soliola have done great things this year, and James comes on board.... but they're all behond the younger 2 middles IMO. And a fair way behind them for mine.

Papalii
Hodgson
Horsburgh
CHN
Whitehead
Tapine

Starling/Havili
Guler
Young
*4th middle

at full strength IMO. Guler and Hors are very much interchangeable there. And Young's leg speed and footwork and ability to cover second row has him as a mkust pick bench option now too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

When discussing depth, particularly for the edge backrow spots maybe Ryan James covers that too. I know it’s a while back but he did play there a fair bit for the Titans. Not ideal and I certainly don’t imagine him starting there but it is an option going forward.

Edge depth:

Whitehead
CHN

Young
Rushton
James*
Horsburgh*

*middle rotation is their best and first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: October 8, 2020, 7:34 am This is an interesting conversation. It's odd. The injuries to Guler and Horsburgh may just give the club a bit of extra time on them with them out of the limelight currently. I know some players like Sutton, Lui and Soliola have done great things this year, and James comes on board.... but they're all behond the younger 2 middles IMO. And a fair way behind them for mine.

Papalii
Hodgson
Horsburgh
CHN
Whitehead
Tapine

Starling/Havili
Guler
Young
*4th middle

at full strength IMO. Guler and Hors are very much interchangeable there. And Young's leg speed and footwork and ability to cover second row has him as a mkust pick bench option now too.
I've got our pack next year looking like almost identical

8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Guler 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Starling 15. Hors 16. Young 17. Sutton

Agree that Hors and Guler are interchangeable, and i do wonder if Hors is not a better fit to start next to Papa... that'll be something to think about in the off season. Young has cemented his place in the side now, and Starling vs Havili i think could be a game plan specific decision each week. Right now i've got Sutton over Ryan and Sia...
Obviously injuries and suspensions will occur but if we get through the entire pre season with a fit pack, i'll be really curious to see who misses out because i have a feeling it wont be Sia or James
Last edited by Botman on October 8, 2020, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dusty wrote: October 8, 2020, 9:58 am When discussing depth, particularly for the edge backrow spots maybe Ryan James covers that too. I know it’s a while back but he did play there a fair bit for the Titans. Not ideal and I certainly don’t imagine him starting there but it is an option going forward.
I'd be STUNNED if he has the mobility to defend that position these days. I think he'd be a total liability out there.
Hors play a bit wide there earlier in the year, i think it's Whitehead, CHN, Young, Hors and maybe a KOD as our edge guys
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

James is past being an edge player unless you copped some injuries during a game. He'll also be in the first 17 next year because we're not paying a starting captain from another club 400k to start off in reserve grade.
Plenty of better ways to spend that money if you thought you were buying a depth guy.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: October 8, 2020, 12:16 pm James is past being an edge player unless you copped some injuries during a game. He'll also be in the first 17 next year because we're not paying a starting captain from another club 400k to start off in reserve grade.
Plenty of better ways to spend that money if you thought you were buying a depth guy.
At 30+ off two knee reco's I'd agree James edge days are gone. Young, O'Donnell, Medlyn, Tapine in a real pinch (more mobile than Hors) all probably more likely. If O'Donnel is genuinely an edge I'm happy enough to see more of him there instead of stop gaps, he did his reputation no harm this year. I'm just not sure if he's going to be another middle or not.

Papa
Hodgo
Sutton
Whitehead
CHN
Tapine

Starling
Lui
Guler
Young

leaves Havilii, Hors, Sia, James all sitting by.

But it could just as easily be Guler, Lui, Starling sitting by. Very hard to leave some of those guys out. James might start through reggies just given his lack of footy. I don't really think anyone can predict what the lineup will be.

Short of winning the GF will lock guys like Havilii, Lui, Sia in the side. If we don't beat the Roosters then guys like Guler, Hors, Sutton, James might have their stocks rise by their absence.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Exactly what I said. Ricky would only consider James there if injuries/suspensions required it. Deep depth perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: October 8, 2020, 12:04 pm
julian87 wrote: October 8, 2020, 7:34 am This is an interesting conversation. It's odd. The injuries to Guler and Horsburgh may just give the club a bit of extra time on them with them out of the limelight currently. I know some players like Sutton, Lui and Soliola have done great things this year, and James comes on board.... but they're all behond the younger 2 middles IMO. And a fair way behind them for mine.

Papalii
Hodgson
Horsburgh
CHN
Whitehead
Tapine

Starling/Havili
Guler
Young
*4th middle

I've got our pack next year looking like almost identical

8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Guler 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Starling 15. Hors 16. Young 17. Sutton

Agree that Hors and Guler are interchangeable, and i do wonder if Hors is not a better fit to start next to Papa... that'll be something to think about in the off season. Young has cemented his place in the side now, and Starling vs Havili i think could be a game plan specific decision each week. Right now i've got Sutton over Ryan and Sia...
Obviously injuries and suspensions will occur but if we get through the entire pre season with a fit pack, i'll be really curious to see who misses out because i have a feeling it wont be Sia or James
you didnt even mention Lui pig and thats not even your fault. its so hard to consider all our middle depth. really hope we get that younf fella from england as our edge back row seems thin.
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've got Redhorse in the 17 somewhere.

He's young, uncompromising and angry.
And I agree we are stacked with options. Papa, Hodgo, Whitehead and Taps(in my opinion) are 4 starters in the pack.

The depth in our forwards is off the charts.

Lui, James, Sia, Sutton,Young,CHN, Guler, Hors, Havili, Starling all fighting for a jersey every week..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Whoever trains the hardest and performs the best will deserve their spot.

Both Papa and Lui responded perfectly to being dropped after not performing up to expectations.

This is a great lesson for our developing young forwards.

You can either sook, kick stones and go elsewhere or force the coaches hand by raising the standard.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I still get the feeling Guler will go back to a Sydney club, maybe the Bulldogs.
But I heard he just purchased a house in Canberra so who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: October 8, 2020, 12:35 pm
zim wrote: October 8, 2020, 12:16 pm James is past being an edge player unless you copped some injuries during a game. He'll also be in the first 17 next year because we're not paying a starting captain from another club 400k to start off in reserve grade.
At 30+ off two knee reco's I'd agree James edge days are gone. Young, O'Donnell, Medlyn, Tapine in a real pinch (more mobile than Hors) all probably more likely. If O'Donnel is genuinely an edge I'm happy enough to see more of him there instead of stop gaps, he did his reputation no harm this year. I'm just not sure if he's going to be another middle or not.

Papa
Hodgo
Sutton
Whitehead
CHN
Tapine

Starling
Lui
Guler
Young

leaves Havilii, Hors, Sia, James all sitting by.

But it could just as easily be Guler, Lui, Starling sitting by. Very hard to leave some of those guys out. James might start through reggies just given his lack of footy. I don't really think anyone can predict what the lineup will be.

Short of winning the GF will lock guys like Havilii, Lui, Sia in the side. If we don't beat the Roosters then guys like Guler, Hors, Sutton, James might have their stocks rise by their absence.
Sutton doesn't tend to start unless he's replacing one of Papa and Taps, because he generally functions as their replacement off the bench. I don't think we've started a game this season with all three.

We tend to pair one bigger, metre eating prop with one smaller, more mobile prop - hence why Lui starts so much. If both he and Young are in a side, it's between them two for the #10.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: October 8, 2020, 2:14 pm you didnt even mention Lui pig and thats not even your fault. its so hard to consider all our middle depth. really hope we get that younf fella from england as our edge back row seems thin.
I did think about him but its really hard to find a spot for him. On form you'd argue he's comfortably ahead of Sia and James. But i just dont see those guys missing selection if they're fit and healthy and then he's in a fight along with guys like Guler/Hors/Young for the middle spots, and no way in the world im playing him over them based on what i've seen from them
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

James was to play edge in 2020 but no chance off 2 knee reco's

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Ornament to rugby league': Ricky Stuart's enormous praise for Canberra Raiders veteran

Not many people epitomise the term 'good bloke' quite like Canberra Raiders forward Sia Soliola.

“You’ve only got to read what Sia said in the Canberra Times yesterday. It was some wonderful quotes and only Sia could say them. Go back and have a look at what he said and that’s what makes me so proud about Sia," he said.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... gkposjjyzb
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Papalii
Hodgson
Horsburgh
CHN
Whitehead
Tapine

Starling/Havili
Guler
Young
*4th middle

julian, I'd have Lui as the fourth middle based on his performance this season. We all look for different things in players and Lui has developed a string to his game which only Hodgo has. He is a regular ball thief. Providing the rules stay the same for 2021, it is a method of squaring up possession particularly if a couple of restarts have gone against us. If he comes on late in the first half we would have both Hodgo and Lui looking to give the Raiders a possession advantage with their skill at contesting for the ball when the opposition are in possession. I like his defensive mobility and first contact as well.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

We are looking strong in the forwards, especially given Red horse, Guler and Hudson Young will improve, Young is showing he could be very very good.
However, I just feel Ryan James will be in there somewhere, im excited to see what he can bring to our team.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Johno wrote:We are looking strong in the forwards, especially given Red horse, Guler and Hudson Young will improve, Young is showing he could be very very good.
However, I just feel Ryan James will be in there somewhere, im excited to see what he can bring to our team.
Interesting isn't it because I was questioning why Young came straight back into the team when his suspension was up, clearly Stuart is a big fan but also knew his talent

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk