Sharks 13+
No votes

Total votes: 1

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2020 Finals Week 1 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Pete Cash »

One thing I will say is that Semi has a lot of talent but the young fella is showing how green he is. Just common sense plays like diving to ground when he was caught running sideways cleaning up the ball.

Certainly worth the investment but I just have some concerns if a rookie error might cost us a game against the rooster. That said I think he has a really good upside. Very physically capable.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pete Cash wrote:One thing I will say is that Semi has a lot of talent but the young fella is showing how green he is. Just common sense plays like diving to ground when he was caught running sideways cleaning up the ball.

Certainly worth the investment but I just have some concerns if a rookie error might cost us a game against the rooster. That said I think he has a really good upside. Very physically capable.
It'll be between him and Timoko for cotrics wing spot.

I'd be inclined to go Timoko at this stage

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Ricky stubbornness will cost us this season. If he doesn't get rapana back to the wing and valemi out of the side we are going nowhere.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

radicalraider wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:19 pm Ricky stubbornness will cost us this season. If he doesn't get rapana back to the wing and valemi out of the side we are going nowhere.
And who to Centre?? A rookie with one game experience or a bloke who hasn’t played for 8 weeks??
Better the devil we know maybe??
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, I said a couple of weeks ago that I think we’ve missed this bus. I thought then Timoko was the right move and I still do. But I think now you’ve got to stick with the kid you gave the experience to.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Pete Cash wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:12 pm One thing I will say is that Semi has a lot of talent but the young fella is showing how green he is. Just common sense plays like diving to ground when he was caught running sideways cleaning up the ball.

I keep harping on it, but he makes 2-3 major errors a game that might cost us a game at this point of the season.
I think the world of him, i think he's shown REAL genuine potential as a gun winger, physically the tools are all there, not **** on the guy, i think he's got a very bright future and he's the front runner for me for Cotric's postion next year, i think an offseason will do his development the world of good, but the mistakes hurt us every game and i think Rapana was lucky not to cost us the game tonight at cente...

i can see the roosters targetting both relentlessly
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:25 pm Yeah, I said a couple of weeks ago that I think we’ve missed this bus. I thought then Timoko was the right move and I still do. But I think now you’ve got to stick with the kid you gave the experience to.
This is probably the % call... the devil you know.
But i'd rather go out swinging.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Surprised there's so much negativity. For whatever reason, I feel confident we'll be right in it next week.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

2.Rapana 3. Croker 4. Cotric 5. Oldfield
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

afgtnk wrote:You've made your bed here, Stick. Lie in it
****update from Stick******

He is laying comfortably in his bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

One thing the NRL will have to look at is the stoppage of play when a player goes down. I know it is to protect the health of players, but it is being used as a tactic to slow momentum imo. In the Storm match tonight a player went down with 'cramp' and the game stopped??? Cronulla used it as well in our match against them. Fifita got the rest he wanted and then with the application of the miracle water, was up and into the play. He had stopped a quick Raider play the ball which looked to me to be the object of the exercise.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

The sharks were very cynical

Thats why it was so awesome when Jackie boi caught them napping while they were trying to slow the game down. One of the highlights of the year
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Botman wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:30 pm
Pete Cash wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:12 pm One thing I will say is that Semi has a lot of talent but the young fella is showing how green he is. Just common sense plays like diving to ground when he was caught running sideways cleaning up the ball.

I keep harping on it, but he makes 2-3 major errors a game that might cost us a game at this point of the season.
I think the world of him, i think he's shown REAL genuine potential as a gun winger, physically the tools are all there, not **** on the guy, i think he's got a very bright future and he's the front runner for me for Cotric's postion next year, i think an offseason will do his development the world of good, but the mistakes hurt us every game and i think Rapana was lucky not to cost us the game tonight at cente...

i can see the roosters targetting both relentlessly
Semi has made some clangers this season for sure but did he tonight? I’m not arguing, just can’t remember. I know he got caught in goal twice though I don’t think he had a chance to go to ground on the one he was running sideways. The Sharks’ kicking was just excellent during that period.

His runs were really strong. There were periods today when no one was going anywhere and he pushed through.

I also think Elliott’s four errors - particularly the spill in front of the sticks that led to a try - and George’s two were worse than anything Semi did. Just going on today’s game.

Anyway, I think dropping him for another rookie or Oldie isn’t the answer, even if HSS/Timoko ends up being the first choice next year. This is our 17 and we back them in.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Botman wrote: October 3, 2020, 8:05 pm Really just good to get out of that with a nice, in the end easy win
The sharks always worry me, and they worried us tonight

On to next week and we’ll be significant underdogs and rightly so
But let’s just win anyways
I'm not sure why we would be significant underdogs. We have won 4 in a row, they have lost 2 in a row and after our win tonight we have won more games then them. Yes we weren't amazing tonight but still won comfortably, yes a weaker opposition.

We have already beaten them at the scg once this year. I would have us on par with them on form if not slightly ahead although they have the players who can turn their form around.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Not sure what game I was watching? I thought Semi was safe as houses
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I thought it was an excellent performance - aside from the errors.

The Sharks were very good in the opening 30 minutes and we didn't let them get away - they would have overwhelmed many teams in that spell - and didn't panic.

Then once we got some ball and territory we looked like scoring every time.

This was a real finals performance and next week is going to be too close to call.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

That really was an ugly game of football with the sharks using every play in the book to slow the hame down to a pace they could manage.

I understand that player welfare is important and the referee has to listen to the trainer but there needs to be some kind of accountability for what they are stopping the game for and how long they are given to treat a player before making a decision about whether or not to play on. Those stoppages kill the momentum of the game and only seemed to happen when we had the ball.

We looked rusty in the first half so hopefully any cobwebs from the week off are gone and we can start better against the chooks. If we don’t we could be chasing an insurmountable lead.

I think we will lift and take the game to chooks and have every chance of jagging the win.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: October 3, 2020, 8:00 pm Did Softserve play ?

I must have blinked.
When they announce the sides before the game he got easily the biggest boo. When he was slow up in a play the ball in the second half he was again loudly boo'd. I was in the Meninga stand high up in row WW about the 40 mtr line. Dugan did little all night. I wasn't expecting much from him and that's what he delivered.

But then Bateman did not do much either and that dumb trip was a 50/50 Call of him going to the bin. Lots of cross field running which did not appear to have a purpose. Hopefully the challenge of the Chooks will inspire him.
Last edited by RedRaider on October 4, 2020, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

raiderskater wrote: October 3, 2020, 8:46 pm
RedRaider wrote: October 3, 2020, 8:08 pm Courage play of the night to JC. He has taken a conversion so was last into position. The Sharks miss kick or short kick and he kept in the air to take it under pressure and was tackled in the air so penalty to Raiders.
That was a really great play. He was heads up and knew exactly what they were going to do and the take was clutch. That grubber for Whitehead's try was really nice too.

Tapine was an absolute beast. I still have no idea how he scored that try and I will probably replay it a dozen times to make sure. I thought for sure he was stopped. He made big runs all night.

Shout-out also to Hudson who I thought had an excellent game, ran some mostly good lines, made the break, and okay, he dropped a couple but he was still really good.

Nami was brilliant, Papa was good, our forward pack did their job pretty well. The backline was all over the shop. And the first thing Semi does all week is drill catching and RUNNING FORWARD. Both the times he was bundled were as a result of him running a backwards arc after catching.

I probably have more thoughts but I am tired. All else I can say is that if we play like that next week we are toast. The Roosters won't let us get away with giving them that much ball.
Agree about Hudson too Skater. The Sharks used a lot of niggle on him trying to provoke a response, e.g. when at marker they push him back, or slow him down with hands in his face and lots of talk when he is playing the ball. To his credit he did not lose his temper as he would have last year. He had a fine game.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Timoko for Semi please.
Get Rapana away from centre.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:49 pm One thing the NRL will have to look at is the stoppage of play when a player goes down. I know it is to protect the health of players, but it is being used as a tactic to slow momentum imo. In the Storm match tonight a player went down with 'cramp' and the game stopped??? Cronulla used it as well in our match against them. Fifita got the rest he wanted and then with the application of the miracle water, was up and into the play. He had stopped a quick Raider play the ball which looked to me to be the object of the exercise.
It's becoming ridiculous. Something needs to be done.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Way too many unforced errors in that game. Young, Williams, Rapa all guilty. Even Whitehead wasn't at his usual standard. Fortunately the Sharks are a terrible, terrible team. Just awful to watch.

Plenty of players need to step up next week. Bateman is offering us nothing with the ball. Semi needs to be smarter in defending kicks.

All in all a tough win after an awful start.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:
RedRaider wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:49 pm One thing the NRL will have to look at is the stoppage of play when a player goes down. I know it is to protect the health of players, but it is being used as a tactic to slow momentum imo. In the Storm match tonight a player went down with 'cramp' and the game stopped??? Cronulla used it as well in our match against them. Fifita got the rest he wanted and then with the application of the miracle water, was up and into the play. He had stopped a quick Raider play the ball which looked to me to be the object of the exercise.
There needs to be an investigation
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote: October 4, 2020, 6:32 am

I must have blinked.
When they announce the sides before the game he got easily the biggest boo. When he was slow up in a play the ball in the second half he was again loudly boo'd. I was in the Meninga stand high up in row WW about the 40 mtr line. Dugan did little all night. I wasn't expecting much from him and that's what he delivered.

But then Bateman did not do much either and that dumb trip was a 50/50 Call of him going to the bin. Lots of cross field running which did not appear to have a purpose. Hopefully the challenge of the Chooks will inspire him.
Bateman was a passenger out there. All of his talk about going out a winner is as hollow as Shillington leaving nothing in the tank.

He's got to step up.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Something to give us plenty of confidence going forward. Two of our best players had very ordinary games in Bateman and Whitehead. I expect both to rebound big time next week.

The best part was that despite a generally lacklustre performance all round it was our halves that stepped up and won the game for us. Not often we've been able to say that in the last 20 years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 4, 2020, 7:39 am

I must have blinked.

Bateman was a passenger out there. All of his talk about going out a winner is as hollow as Shillington leaving nothing in the tank.

He's got to step up.
Even last season, he went missing in the finals too. Without looking back specifically for his impact in the three games we played, I remember thinking he did SFA. Obviously bar that try vs Melbourne which was all set up by Leilua.

Yep- needs to step up if we are to do anything next week.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider47 wrote: October 4, 2020, 7:45 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 4, 2020, 7:39 am

I must have blinked.

He's got to step up.
Even last season, he went missing in the finals too. Without looking back specifically for his impact in the three games we played, I remember thinking he did SFA. Obviously bar that try vs Melbourne which was all set up by Leilua.

Yep- needs to step up if we are to do anything next week.
Totally agree. He has traded on reputation for 12 months now. That contract nonsense just sharpened the focus on his lack of contribution for mine.

I don't know what's wrong with him out there, but he's just going through the motions now. We need him at his best to beat the Roosters.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Reckon Aaron Woods must frustrate the hell out of the coach. His hit ups look like slow motion and keeps getting tangled up with the defense trying to milk a restart. Must have the slowest play the balls into he NRL. You can forget about any momentum up the middle when he touches it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Woods was never as good as he was rated but he was solid enough but he looks like someone the game is passing at a pretty good speed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pete Cash wrote: October 4, 2020, 8:13 am Woods was never as good as he was rated but he was solid enough but he looks like someone the game is passing at a pretty good speed.
I was always astounded he was a walk up starter in the test team for so many years. Looked good on the stats sheet but that was it. High work rate with minimal impact.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raidersteve wrote: I'm not sure why we would be significant underdogs. We have won 4 in a row, they have lost 2 in a row and after our win tonight we have won more games then them. Yes we weren't amazing tonight but still won comfortably, yes a weaker opposition.
Given the gap between the top 6 and everyone else, winning 4 in a row against the bottom 10 is pretty meaningless compared to 2 losses against the top 6.

Last time we played, Roosters won pretty comfortably. They lost to the minor premiers by a point who have won 16 in a row. They have been beaten by a game strategy that is the antithesis of the present Raiders strategy. They won’t be expected to drop three straight with the team they have.

They will still be strong favourites and deservedly so.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ruben Daley wrote: Semi has made some clangers this season for sure but did he tonight? I’m not arguing, just can’t remember. I know he got caught in goal twice though I don’t think he had a chance to go to ground on the one he was running sideways. The Sharks’ kicking was just excellent during that period.
I think both were avoidable. Needs to chat to CNK about how to do it.

The first one in particular contributed to the poor possession start
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 4, 2020, 7:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
Channeling Toovey Doc 🙂 I would be interested in your professional opinion. Should the game stop when a Club trainer says so or should there be an NRL doctor go out and make that decision?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The first guy, the one who got strapped - that was bad enough, but at least he got strapped. Fatfita taking a little rest break was beyond disgusting and Atkins should have seen straight through it. Can they give us a penalty for that? Cynical time wasting?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 4, 2020, 7:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
Channeling Toovey Doc Image I would be interested in your professional opinion. Should the game stop when a Club trainer says so or should there be an NRL doctor go out and make that decision?
Could look at trying if you ask for the game to be stopped when your opponents have the ball, that player must be interchanged.