2020 Grand Final

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2020 Grand Final

Post by greeneyed »

More fans can attend grand final as NRL switches to ANZ from SCG

The 2020 NRL grand final will be moved from the SCG to ANZ Stadium, with the NRL and the NSW government agreeing to allow a crowd capacity of 40,000 for the premiership decider.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/30/mor ... -from-scg/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/30/eve ... and-final/

Stadium Australia to host Grand Final Day

The 2020 NRL grand final will be moved from the SCG to ANZ Stadium, with the NRL and the NSW government agreeing to allow a crowd capacity of 40,000 for the premiership decider.

The NRL and NSW Government have agreed to relocate the NRL Premiership Grand Final from the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) to ANZ Stadium.

A crowd capacity of 40,000 has been approved for the Sunday 25 October Grand Final Day which will feature the NRL Premiership Men’s and Women’s deciders.

The agreement to relocate from the SCG was made after the planned redevelopment of Stadium Australia, which would have closed the venue, did not proceed. The relocation will ensure more fans can attend the Grand Final Day.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the game was excited to have even more fans at the live Grand Final day at Stadium Australia.

“Stadium Australia is the biggest venue in NSW and that means more of our fans will be able to experience Grand Final Day live,’’ he said.

“This year will be a historic Grand Final day. The teams competing would have overcome all challenges in front of them and we will experience the culmination of a season like no other. We are working on innovative ways to showcase the pre-game entertainment and returning to Stadium Australia will provide us with the space to put on the most entertaining show possible.

“We can’t wait to see 40,000 fans at the venue. Our fans have been so patient and loyal throughout the season and having crowd caps increase for the Finals Series is the perfect way to acknowledge that loyalty.

“This year has been the most unpredictable year in our game’s history, we’ve faced unprecedented challenges and I feel like the best football is yet to come.

Mr Abdo thanked the NSW Government for their ongoing support during the pandemic.

“I want to congratulate the NSW Government for the way in which they have managed the pandemic. Their contact tracing has been world class and has enabled a crowd of 40,000 to attend our Grand Final Day,’’ he said.

“We thank them for their support throughout the season and we will continue to follow all public health orders to ensure the general community remains healthy.”

NSW Minister for Tourism Stuart Ayres said Stadium Australia and Sydney were a perfect fit for a blockbuster NRL Grand Final.

“Stadium Australia has hosted many of Australia’s most iconic moments in sporting history and the 2020 NRL Grand Final will be among them,” Minister Ayres said.

“I encourage NRL fans attending the Grand Final to stay COVID safe and make the most of the electric atmosphere in Sydney by making a weekend of it, booking a hotel staycation and getting out to enjoy the hospitality and attractions of the city.”

Tickets will be available for purchase from today. The on-sale schedule is as follows:

Wednesday 30th September 12pm – Ticketed members
Wednesday 30th September 4pm – Non-ticketed members
Thursday 1st October 9am – NRL Account holders/waitlist
Thursday 1st October 10am – General Public
Ticketed Club Members will be able to access entry level tickets from $49, with general public from $59.

NRL Hospitality provides the ultimate Grand Final experiences leading into the showpiece of the Premiership season. Packages for Grand Final Day and the Official Grand Final Lunch are available here.

SCGT Members who had already purchased tickets or NRL Hospitality packages will be contacted directly by either the NRL, Ticketek or NRL Official Agents in the coming days in relation to their purchase.

Under Public Health Orders, Stadium Australia has developed a COVID-19 Safety Plan to ensure the venue maintains a safe environment for workers and customers. The NRL will work closely with the venue to implement these plans.

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Grand Final

Post by greeneyed »

Four hours notice tickets are going on sale to members...

Haven't received any email/advice on how to actually do it yet.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Is it worth us all aiming to be in a similar spot? Even if raiders aren't in we can have a green bay haha.

Not sure if there will still be an allocation for members of the 2 teams on the week before.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

I can’t see anywhere mentioning if there will be tickets held for the 2 teams in the week before the game? Have I missed something?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Velda wrote: September 30, 2020, 11:22 am I can’t see anywhere mentioning if there will be tickets held for the 2 teams in the week before the game? Have I missed something?
Would be very surprised if there aren’t, but I haven’t seen any confirmation of that.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

With only 40k tickets available, they may just farm them all now.
But I agree there should be some reserved.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

I just rang NRL HQ. They confirmed that there will be tickets held back for members of the 2 sides who make the GF.
She believes they would be released 18 Oct - 1 week before hand.
How many tickets she did not specify.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

If you want further details call them on 02 9359 8500
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mercury wrote: September 30, 2020, 12:04 pm I just rang NRL HQ. They confirmed that there will be tickets held back for members of the 2 sides who make the GF.
She believes they would be released 18 Oct - 1 week before hand.
How many tickets she did not specify.
They will probably be the ones at the ends as in previous years I guess.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Trying to buy tix today, has anyone worked out how??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

casta66 wrote: September 30, 2020, 1:01 pm Trying to buy tix today, has anyone worked out how??
Click the link the Raiders sent you... then put the number of tickets into the password section that you want, ONE, TWO, THREE etc. Then you're in.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

I haven't received an email today, and yes I'm a ticketed member. Have others received something?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I think, in this year of limited tickets, it makes even less sense to release early.

Think about it. We got 50,000+ Raiders fans travelling up that highway last year. If we could make the GF again, even allowing for those who won't/can't go to due to plague concerns, we could easily, easily fill half the stadium with Raiders fans.

It would look awful if the stadium was filled with non-fans of either team with just pockets of fans of the two teams on GF day.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2020 Grand Final

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote:I think, in this year of limited tickets, it makes even less sense to release early.

Think about it. We got 50,000+ Raiders fans travelling up that highway last year. If we could make the GF again, even allowing for those who won't/can't go to due to plague concerns, we could easily, easily fill half the stadium with Raiders fans.

It would look awful if the stadium was filled with non-fans of either team with just pockets of fans of the two teams on GF day.
Does that really look any more “awful” than a grand final crowd that is 90% one set of fans?

Like, don’t get me wrong, last year’s grand final was wonderful and being in a crowd of 95% green was an incredible experience, but it’s not exactly the best “look” for the game in comparison to a well-balanced grand final crowd

I know most of the people reading this will immediately disagree with me because they can only view this discussion from the green eyed side of things, but if the tables were reversed and the crowd was 95% roosters fans you’d all be crying fowl about it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

casta66 wrote: September 30, 2020, 1:33 pm I haven't received an email today, and yes I'm a ticketed member. Have others received something?
Yes, you should check your junk folder and then ring the club.
casta66
Sam Backo

Post by casta66 »

Thanks GE. I called them and they sent it out straight away. Not sure what happened there. GF here we come!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This is ridiculous. Does the NRL think that we're all unemployed or sit around at work monitoring social media/private email accounts all day?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: September 30, 2020, 5:57 pm This is ridiculous. Does the NRL think that we're all unemployed or sit around at work monitoring social media/private email accounts all day?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
By the looks of it, yes.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

We should definitely all complain about this a lot more