Timoko

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Timoko

Post by afgtnk »

People may not agree, but to me Matt Timoko was the real highlight of the game. Sharks were ****, but this guy just had a break out performance IMO.

He gave us something else that we've been missing on that right edge almost all year. Very physical, seems to revel making the tough metres and getting dirty, gets the opposition on the back foot similar to what BJ used to do. I'd take a bet on his speed also and say that he's probably the fastest back in the squad over 30-40 metres, really good acceleration. Plus, he seems to be quite strong defensively and chops players down with ease.

I honestly don't know how you can drop him with the threat he's shown he can add, especially when you're pitting him against Valemei. I like Semi, but Timoko looks a cut above right now
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Timoko

Post by Raiders666 »

I agree 100%
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Timoko

Post by gangrenous »

Timoko looked better for mine in earlier matches as well. Obviously Rick knows and sees a hell of a lot more than we do. But I would’ve slotted Timoko in instead of shuffling the backs for Valemei.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

He certainly looks promising
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He looked fantastic. Really really excited for him.
HSS on the other side was absolutely rock solid defensively and again looked like a season pro. We're in a good spot if Curtis cant sort his **** out

I'd have him over Semi for sure. Raps back to wing and Timoko at centre is how i'd go into the finals too
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

afgtnk wrote: September 26, 2020, 7:58 pm People may not agree, but to me Matt Timoko was the real highlight of the game. Sharks were ****, but this guy just had a break out performance IMO.

He gave us something else that we've been missing on that right edge almost all year. Very physical, seems to revel making the tough metres and getting dirty, gets the opposition on the back foot similar to what BJ used to do. I'd take a bet on his speed also and say that he's probably the fastest back in the squad over 30-40 metres, really good acceleration. Plus, he seems to be quite strong defensively and chops players down with ease.

I honestly don't know how you can drop him with the threat he's shown he can add, especially when you're pitting him against Valemei. I like Semi, but Timoko looks a cut above right now
Totally agree with everything you said. HSS was also quite strong although not as threatening
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Very raw, plenty of talent though.

When he threw that pass that wasn't on I lost my carp..

Very happy for the boys, they played well.

Didn't stop me squirming in my Smokey Dawson though.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Colk wrote: September 26, 2020, 8:14 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 26, 2020, 7:58 pm People may not agree, but to me Matt Timoko was the real highlight of the game. Sharks were ****, but this guy just had a break out performance IMO.

Totally agree with everything you said. HSS was also quite strong although not as threatening
I thought Smith-Shields was good too. Without trying to be purposely disrespectful, he reminds of a slightly budget version of Nico. Not quite as strong or as athletic but very solid, makes smart plays, good game and positional sense.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We can put Subloos jersey back in the duffel bag, it won't need a wash..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I agree with the sentiment that HSS has looked more impressive than Valemi so far. He's a likely type and is a threat whenever he touches it.

Not impressed with his forced pass to nobody. Sure Sticky will have a word with him about that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I really like Timoko, I think he will be a very good FG'er.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The aggression he shows with and without the ball reminds me of a young Ruben Wiki. He is not over-awed by FG opponents. I would have him in the side at right center, but Sticky has gone with Rapa in that position since Scott has been out. Interesting to see who Sticky names this coming Tuesday afternoon.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I liked him. Very enthusiastic, lots of bustling energy, looks strong and quick. Maybe just needs a touch of patience, but that's perfectly trainable.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Semi also had his best game I thought. Some of that comes down to the fact the Sharks lacked the skill to test him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: September 26, 2020, 8:27 pm

I thought Smith-Shields was good too. Without trying to be purposely disrespectful, he reminds of a slightly budget version of Nico. Not quite as strong or as athletic but very solid, makes smart plays, good game and positional sense.
See what you mean- mistake free, no fuss, instinctive positioning but also enough about them in attack- he's just 2 inches shorter and 7kg lighter. That's not an indication of ceiling either, just a current progress.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Timko (on topic) was good. As he was in his short stint last time.

I hope Ricky proves me an idiot and we don't need to recruit an outside back. Semi looks worth a look and Timoko obviously showed some attacking chops. One swallow does not a summer make but he's shown enough to be right in the mix next year.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

This bloke looked unbelievable. His energy in every run was very noticeable.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

This game shows we don't need to go shopping for outside backs.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I’m more positive about our young outside backs after that performance.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Agree with the sentiment that it was a very very positive showing by our young outside backs and Timoko really stood out with his aggression. He just wanted in on the action
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: September 27, 2020, 5:05 am This game shows we don't need to go shopping for outside backs.

Agree with caveats. If we can keep Rapana and Oldfield on the books and Scott starts repaying the faith Sticky has showed him we shout be fine. Valemi, Timoko and HSS are more than adequate to fill out that part of the squad.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

All the rookies played well, including Semi who will rightfully keep his place into the finals.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I think that even if rapana does leave, we'll be well covered

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: September 27, 2020, 5:05 am This game shows we don't need to go shopping for outside backs.

100% agree. What a great group of rising stars.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

He looks very promising. He is going to be a regular first grader .
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Bolter for the finals? I like Semi but apparent to me that Timoko has more x factor and Rapana’s best position is on the wing. He doesn’t seem nervous or lacking confidence to handle the challenge of finals football. I’d throw him in there, if we want to play in the GF we’re gonna have to take a risk or two.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don't want Rapana moved to the left side of the field, even if it means retaining Valemei tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: September 27, 2020, 10:28 am

Agree with caveats. If we can keep Rapana and Oldfield on the books and Scott starts repaying the faith Sticky has showed him we shout be fine. Valemi, Timoko and HSS are more than adequate to fill out that part of the squad.
I'd be moving Scott along if we could. Even with 150k freight. Rapana has been very good there lately- centre suits him as he still has power and a pass but not great speed. Timoko produced more in that game than I've seen from Scott all season. I'd rather work with those two frankly. It's unfortunate Scott never got a clear run to put it together here but maybe a fresh start elsewhere.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Cotric to the left, Rapana moving one wide, and Timoko slotting in at right centre is the logical option for me.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: September 27, 2020, 12:18 pm Cotric to the left, Rapana moving one wide, and Timoko slotting in at right centre is the logical option for me.
Yep but Stuart has shown he's dug in with Cotric at right wing so there's not much point even entertaining it IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

afgtnk wrote: September 27, 2020, 12:18 pm Cotric to the left, Rapana moving one wide, and Timoko slotting in at right centre is the logical option for me.
I absolutely agree. Stuart wasn't afraid to throw in Guler late last season to be a part of our Finals campaign so it could possibly happen. However, it appears Valemei is the option he prefers.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

afgtnk wrote: September 26, 2020, 8:27 pm

I don’t think you are being that disrespectful at all. Even 3/4’s or 4/5’s of Cotric is going to mean a very good first grade back.

Whilst aware of both of their abilities, it is always a big jump from juniors to first grade and although there are very few ‘sure things’ if you will, their performances have assuaged me and my concerns about our backs next year.

It was interesting assessing the performances of our juniors last night, for me I was very impressed by both centres; Valemei was ok but still not there yet, Cook was too early for first grade (seems a bit small for fullback also) but his highlights show a lot of ability is there, whilst I was also really impressed by the stints of O’Donnell and Medlyn
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: September 27, 2020, 12:04 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 27, 2020, 10:28 am

I'd be moving Scott along if we could. Even with 150k freight. Rapana has been very good there lately- centre suits him as he still has power and a pass but not great speed. Timoko produced more in that game than I've seen from Scott all season. I'd rather work with those two frankly. It's unfortunate Scott never got a clear run to put it together here but maybe a fresh start elsewhere.
I think the important takeaway from the time Scott hasn’t been there has been the fact that our defence looks a lot better without him there - a lot of that is probably down to Bateman being there as well but it has been noticeable.

I must admit I’ve been on the trade Scott bandwagon for a long time but the depth in our backs is still not great and there is not a lot in the market atm so maybe keep him in reserve. A lot of it will also depend on whether we have a reserve grade competition next year but he definitely should not be a starting option
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Defensively Scott was doing fine before his injury, it was really just that month of footy where he was god awful and we know now what he's been dealing with off the park with relation to his charges.
If the club did move on from him in the off season i wouldnt complain and i think both Timoko and HSS look like they've got bright futures but it's not a situation where we need to get Scott out ASAP imo
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'd see any world where Scott is better or has more potential than Timoko at this stage. I've seen enough to determine that Timoko is stronger, faster, better at chewing metres, and more defensively sound. He's on what's likely to be a min wage deal, which we may be able to get away with for another season at this rate, and Scott, who even with his current wage subsidy would be paid more by us than him.

It's not the most pressing issue, but getting rid of Scott by paying another round of freight only makes sense. Timoko won't need much more time to start making clubs aware of him, so I wouldn't be risking keeping Scott potentially at his expense.