Sharks 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BadnMean »

And probably 1 or 2 of those misses for Origin. Astoundingly consistent and durable Raider. Maybe just that broken nose/face I can remember as far as injury. Then a week or two for lifting tackles.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There's still a lot of footy left: Sia Soliola

Canberra Raiders prop Sia Soliola makes his return to the field in this Saturday's clash with the Sharks, after recovering from an horrific facial fracture. The injury was likened to the sort of injury you'd get in a car crash, or if you fell face first into concrete.

He has spent nearly three months on the sidelines. Now he cannot wait to get back on the field, to test out the handiwork of his doctor.

"I remember going into the tackle and then getting rattled a bit, but when I retreated back to the line, that's when I knew," he told Zac Bailey of NRL.com.

"The pain I felt was a little bit different to just your normal head knock. It was sort of like a burning sensation around the cheek area. I knew exactly where I was, but I just knew that my face wasn't right. They had to call an ambulance."

Soliola admits he feared that he'd played his last NRL game.

"I did to be brutally honest," he said.

"Mum called me up straight away and told me to finish up, as you would. All mothers don't like to see their sons go through the pain and the process of it. But I've always found challenges like that to spur something inside me... to see if I can defy the odds."

His doctor also took up the challenge to get Soliola back on the field as soon as possible. They ended up inserting 20 screws to repair the fractures, but Soliola is not so sure.

"I don't know how many screws are in there to be honest. There was a couple of screws I think they counted, but they were like my root canal ones that I had previously."

Soliola says that being restricted to a soft food diet was the most difficult part of his recovery.

"The soft food diet was hard. That was the hardest thing I've ever done. I went as far as trying to blend KFC, the boys were teasing me. But KFC was rank, and so I thought laksa would be better. That was gross, so I stopped blending," he said laughing.

"I had this whole idea of getting pizza, Dominos, a Big Mac... until I had the KFC, and then I said 'no, I'm not doing the Big Mac'.

The 34 year old forward now feels a huge sense of achievement, having been cleared to play again.

"To envision that right from the start, and to actually fulfill that and to do that, it's an amazing feeling," Soliola said.

"It's a huge accomplishment. I loved it. I really loved it when he gave me the all clear over the phone. I told the man, if I was there, 'I would hug you'."

Soliola believes that there's a lot of football left in the 2020 season for the Raiders - and that there's plenty of football left in his own career too. He revealed he's not signed a new deal with Canberra yet for 2021, but he hopes it is close. In the meantime, there is a competition to win.

"You can't play or train if we don't think that we can win the comp," he said.

"That's got to be at the forefront of your mind. It shouldn't be just all cash and fame or whatever, we come here to win. We're happy, but we're not satisfied, we've still go to keep on going. There's still a lot of footy left."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Fearless Raider returns after fearing the end: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/24/fea ... g-the-end/

No way Ryan Sutton was missing Canberra Raiders' Shark attack

It's no secret the Canberra Raiders prop's omission from last year's finals series has been driving him all season to ensure he doesn't miss the 2020 NRL play-offs.

"Honestly, if [Raiders coach Ricky Stuart had] ask me did I want a rest I would've said no," Sutton said. "I've been in this situation last year where I didn't play and I don't want that to happen again."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -v-sharks/

Set of Six: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -v-sharks/
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Bay53 wrote: September 25, 2020, 1:05 pm Nic Cotric plays his 90th match for the Raiders tomorrow. Amazingly it is only our 95th match since his debut.
The five matches that he did not feature were a result of a suspension from a lifting tackle against St George ?
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Talakai and Rudolf out
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: September 25, 2020, 11:32 am
1992 wrote: September 23, 2020, 6:23 pm Sammy field goal in golden point. 😎
That'd be good.
But even better would be a disrespectful field goal while up by 30 with two to play.
:roflmao
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He wouldn't have picked "Rookie Raiders" team if he didn't think they could go out and win

Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton is aged just 25 - and for a player in the middle, that's still quite young. Props are only starting to come into their prime at that age.

But in the Raiders team that will take the field on Saturday in the clash with the Sharks, Sutton will be one of the more experienced hands.

Ten of the top 17 players selected by coach Stuart this week are aged 22 or younger. Only three players are over the age of 25 - Sam Williams (29), Dunamis Lui (30), and Sia Soliola (34).

The back five players have an average age of just over 20. At age 21, Nick Cotric is the oldest player in the outside backs. They have 98 games of NRL experience amongst them, and Cotric has 89 of them. Throw in the halves and the backline has an average age of just over 22.

It's not a lot different among the forwards. They have an average age of just over 25, while the whole squad has an average age of about 23 and a half. The squad has an average of just 49 games of NRL experience.

Sutton says the team is still fighting for fourth position. He is confident that the "Rookie Raiders" will perform well and can win against the Sharks. He's sure that Ricky Stuart is confident too.

"We're going to go into this game really confident and we've got a good amount of young kids, so we're excited," Sutton said.

"[Ricky] wouldn't have picked the team if he didn't have confidence that they could go out and win this game."

"Looking at the young talent that we've got coming through and the players that are playing this weekend, it's really exciting. I really can't wait for this weekend, just to go out and see what energy they bring."

"It is a completely different feel, but at the same time, everyone knows their job. We've said this forever. Whoever comes into this squad can do a job... you can do it."

"The feeling is different, because we've obviously not got those leaders, but we've got Sia back. It's exciting to get him back and he's a real leader on the park, so it's going to be good.

Sutton says he will look to step up in the leadership stakes - and help out the younger players - given so many of the regular leaders are being rested on Saturday.

"Just speaking them to about not doing something you wouldn't usually do. Just chatting to them really, taking the nerves away and making sure that they're good to go into the game, that's the main thing," he said.

"Leadership qualities on the field will come from everyone, once the 13 are on the field, young or old, I think that's the good thing that we've got in this squad, we rally around each other."

Local favourite Sam Williams will captain the Raiders for the first time in first grade on Saturday, after making his debut back in 2011. Sutton believes the team will be looking to perform well for him.

I've played against Sammy in the Super League and he's a real leader," Sutton said.

"You can tell he's got that quality about him, where he can lead from the front foot. He's a real smart rugby league player, he knows a lot about rugby. He's just a great all round bloke."

On Friday evening, the Raiders omitted Elliott Whitehead and Jack Wighton from their squad to face the Sharks. Both were included on the extended bench, but there was no prospect that Ricky Stuart would be playing them. Joe Tapine and Ata Mariota remain on the extended bench.

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Sutton: We're fighting for fourth place: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... rth-place/

From Cooma Colts to Canberra captaincy for Sam Williams

Sam Williams sat down across from his coach earlier this week and was told he would be playing his first NRL match in 16 months. Ricky Stuart then quipped: "What are you like at tossing the coin?"

"I half laughed it off," Williams said. "Half an hour later I was getting a coffee with Jarrod [Croker] and he was like, nah mate he's serious."

Celebration for Canberra Raiders winger Semi Valemei's special girl back home

When Semi Valemei runs out against Cronulla, as always he'll have the name of a special girl, Rosi, from back home on his wrist. He pointed to it after his long range try against the Warriors last Sunday.

"That was my niece. She's my favourite so I write her name there every game," Valemei said. "She's back in Fiji, back in the village. I think so [she would be watching back home]. Everywhere I go she comes with me."

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Jack Wighton and Elliott Whitehead omitted from the Canberra Raiders squad to face the Cronulla Sharks tomorrow. Latest squads, weather, odds and more: http://ow.ly/420I50BAT0v
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BadnMean wrote:And probably 1 or 2 of those misses for Origin. Astoundingly consistent and durable Raider. Maybe just that broken nose/face I can remember as far as injury. Then a week or two for lifting tackles.
He missed a game or two of origin last year because of injury last year I thought
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Souths all over the Roosters at the moment. They could very well knock the Roosters into 4th which would result in a much tougher game for us if we finish 5th and advance to week 2. Still a lot of footy left in this game.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

This is so typical lol.

Roosters look like ****. Haven't said that in so long.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

They havent turned up lol. That dream sharks, eels, winner of storm/roosters run is in threat. We might well have to go through panthers/roosters in week 2
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Roosters will not come back. Souths are murdering them.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 25, 2020, 7:52 pm
BadnMean wrote:And probably 1 or 2 of those misses for Origin. Astoundingly consistent and durable Raider. Maybe just that broken nose/face I can remember as far as injury. Then a week or two for lifting tackles.
He missed a game or two of origin last year because of injury last year I thought
Yeah that was the broken nose/stitches in the face/mouth thing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Hey why is my Avatar back to Fritzy circa '91 instead of the Chicka Drinkin' A Raiders Lime With Hawkey- I changed it to a few months back? I feel one AV change a decade is enough, you're ruining my brand!!!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@NRLRaidersNews on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders half Sam Williams as he readies himself to captain the Green Machine for the first time on Saturday. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/5HC450BB1w7

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLSharksRaiders
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Pete Cash wrote: September 25, 2020, 8:32 pm Souths all over the Roosters at the moment. They could very well knock the Roosters into 4th which would result in a much tougher game for us if we finish 5th and advance to week 2. Still a lot of footy left in this game.
Only if the Eels win as well. Only team to play it as per the expected result so far this week are the Broncos, as in ****.

I'm kinda worried the Eels lose, we win and take 4th, I really don't want that week one match up against Punrith :(
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Ultima wrote: September 25, 2020, 9:03 pm
Pete Cash wrote: September 25, 2020, 8:32 pm Souths all over the Roosters at the moment. They could very well knock the Roosters into 4th which would result in a much tougher game for us if we finish 5th and advance to week 2. Still a lot of footy left in this game.
Only if the Eels win as well. Only team to play it as per the expected result so far this week are the Broncos, as in ****.

I'm kinda worried the Eels lose, we win and take 4th, I really don't want that week one match up against Punrith :(
Why not? A second chance. Or better yet, catch Penny Panthers, bam home prelim.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Looks like we play Penrith or Roosters in week 2 of the finals. Ouch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Postman Pat »

Q
Last edited by Postman Pat on September 25, 2020, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

I'm Bate Man wrote:The extended bench might have to come now.
What the ballboy and Tapine?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Well to win the premiership you have to beat either the Panthers or the Roosters or possibly both even if our ideal run happened. Its just happening sooner than we thought lol
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Ultima wrote: September 25, 2020, 9:03 pm

I would love Raiders win Eels loose. Worst case is we play the Eels week 2 at home.

Mine you with the Roosters loss, top 4 in now in our control. Baby Raiders with a 130 + win.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Butters wrote:
I'm Bate Man wrote:The extended bench might have to come now.
What the ballboy and Tapine?

I just looked at the points differential, discard my comment.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

gangrenous wrote: September 23, 2020, 6:17 am
Raiders666 wrote:So what happens if Souths beat Roosters? Everyone is assuming we match up against The Eels In wk 2 of the finals...
Think you’re in the wrong finals system. Souths don’t play Roosters.

If Raiders finish 5th and win and Parra lose to Penrith then no other results matter. They play Parra.
Given tonight's game, if Parra beat the Tigers they'll be 3rd, Roosters 4th. Meaning the qualifying finals would be Penrith v Roosters and Storm v Parra. We'd be playing the loser of Penrith v Roosters if we beat the Sharks next week.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Think Jack and Taps might have to play now - shift Havili back to the bench and take Frawley out. We should be able to jag it with those two there
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think I saw they already dropped off the list today?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Probably not the place for this post but the roosters would be down 60-8 if not for 3 disallowed tries.

Absolutely insane
Up The Milk
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

The roosters look legitimately terrible and have just now conceded the 50 mark. Absolute scenes. Eels with a good chance to jump them now.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 25, 2020, 9:44 pm Probably not the place for this post but the roosters would be down 60-8 if not for 3 disallowed tries.

Absolutely insane
They are now!
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Week 2 v roosters @scg
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

radicalraider wrote: September 25, 2020, 10:07 pm Week 2 v roosters @scg
I get the planning ahead but ****...if our blokes are thinking that guaranteed we get rolled by sharks first round finals.
One at a time folks. Whatever else will be, will be...
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hate to say i saw this coming haha
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

I could see the Panthers being ambushed by the roosters too but yeah can't be looking past the sharks week 1
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Best case scenario tonight:

- We lose
- Eels also lose

We remain 5th and in week 2 play the loser of Eels Vs Panthers (Eels).

Still good case scenario:

- We win
- Eels lose

We finish 4th and get 2 bites of the cherry.

Worse case scenario:

- Eels win

We will play the loser of Panthers Vs Roosters week 2. Worst possible result.

Time to go out and buy a Tigers jersey for tonight folks. We need them to win bad.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Proves you don’t have to be far off your game to get rolled badly in the NRL. Not much doubt of a lack of effort from the raiders team this week. They will be raring to go!
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

There is no way in my mind that finishing 5th is better than 4th. Finish 4th and I really like our chances of a prelim final. Then anything can happen.