Re: 2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Kryptonite »

In other news, there is a mass whale stranding somewhere in Tasmania
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Matt Frawley and Sia Soliola as the team prepares for the Green Machine's clash with the Cronulla Sharks. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/BBov50ByMqn

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders prop Sia Soliola excited to return from injury alongside four debutants. Nine News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/NIYA50ByMK6

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLSharksRaiders
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Northern Raider wrote: September 23, 2020, 9:58 am The more I think about the more I'm on board with Sticky's approach to this week. He could go all in and chase the top 4 spot, still relying on another favourable result to make it. Even then it's likely we have to play 3 consecutive weeks to make the GF. Better to sacrifice the "2nd chance" draw and go in refreshed and ready. The only real risk is backing the boys to win the home elimination final in week 1.
I hoped they would take this approach,
I didn't expect so many debutants.. but I'm very keen to see how they all go.
we can't finish lower than 5th.. so why not get the niggles sorted now
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Found some highlights of Adam Cook on YouTube. Really nice kicking and passing game on him

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Colk wrote: September 23, 2020, 9:14 pm Found some highlights of Adam Cook on YouTube. Really nice kicking and passing game on him

Pretty impressive kicking and passing game. I'm guessing S.Williams has the conversion kicking duties but he doesn't seem like a poor backup in that either.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Kryptonite wrote:Hingano didn’t get a start?
Too many promising wingers coming through, no room unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

So after being fully against this idea to start with, I’m now fully behind it.

I reckon these guys can win on the weekend too, and I still think tigers will beat the eels for ninth place, it’s their destiny!

Here comes fourth place and a fresh raiders team taking on the panthers. Look out Penrith!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: September 24, 2020, 7:38 am So after being fully against this idea to start with, I’m now fully behind it.

I reckon these guys can win on the weekend too, and I still think tigers will beat the eels for ninth place, it’s their destiny!

Here comes fourth place and a fresh raiders team taking on the panthers. Look out Penrith!
I give us zero chance of winning. More than anything we have almost no match fitness on our side. I expect a plucky effort with the tide eventually rolling over us.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: September 24, 2020, 7:38 am So after being fully against this idea to start with, I’m now fully behind it.

I give us zero chance of winning. More than anything we have almost no match fitness on our side. I expect a plucky effort with the tide eventually rolling over us.
It'll be men against boys out there, literally. But I still think it is the best possible strategy.

Of course it's possible for the Tigers to win. Like Nickman says... 9th is there DNA ... But they've been horrendous the past month and cannot be relied upon.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: September 24, 2020, 8:19 am
Northern Raider wrote:

It'll be men against boys out there, literally. But I still think it is the best possible strategy.

Of course it's possible for the Tigers to win. Like Nickman says... 9th is there DNA ... But they've been horrendous the past month and cannot be relied upon.

As have the Eels, old friend. They were absolutely DISGUSTING against the Broncos.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but on Freddy and the Eighth this week Brad Fittler named Semi Valemi (you know, our winger who apparently isn't ready for first grade yet) his best player of the week.

Thought Nickman in particular would love that one!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

runaway semi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raider Azz wrote: September 24, 2020, 9:53 am Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but on Freddy and the Eighth this week Brad Fittler named Semi Valemi (you know, our winger who apparently isn't ready for first grade yet) his best player of the week.

Thought Nickman in particular would love that one!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
If all you look at is the highlights, he had a big game- tries, big hits, breakaways etc. Maybe that's all Freddy saw (or all he can remember). Our situation requires us to stick with Valemi and I'd say he's started to show his talent but like most young players, still has an error or two. How quick he irons most of those out OR how well we protect against and cover those may be important.

Sometimes I wonder if our fans notice that even Penrith and Roosters will make several errors every game too.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Tickets to Saturday's game against the Sharks

Post by cat »

hello everyone,

tickets are available without a password at ticketek for the sharks game for anyone who wants to join me
lots still there,

lets turn this into a home game!
Vaccinated
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Are you having a bath???
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Tickets to Saturday's game against the Sharks

Post by bonehead »

are you organising a bus?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Just got tickets for myself and the cheese and kisses.

Have never gone to a NSW cup match even though I live a stones throw from North Sydney Oval so looking forward to this one.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: September 24, 2020, 8:19 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Yeah, I expect them to roll us in the end, largely based on match fitness, but they certainly won't know what to expect from us early on.

It's going to be interesting, if nothing else.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

This has Round 1 2011 written all over it IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stuart excited to give players a chance

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart caused a stir this week when he rested nine first graders from the club's final match of the regular season - to be played at Kogarah against the Cronulla Sharks on Saturday evening.

Stuart hopes the break will give some travel and game weary players - and some players with niggling injuries - the best possible preparation for the start of the finals.

"It's really fortunate that I can give a number of players a week off," Stuart said today.

"We've got players there that are really knocked around and are going to enjoy the extra week to get prepared for our play offs."

"From a preparation point of view, going into our first semi final, it's important for these boys to overcome a lot of injuries and knocks."

Stuart handed three players their NRL debuts this week - Adam Cook, Darby Medlyn and Jarrett Subloo - while some of the Canberra squad will play in their first starting match against the Sharks. Matt Frawley, a Raiders junior, will make his club debut after time with Canterbury and Huddersfield.

"We've had a very exciting week, we've got a number of debutants, a number of boys that are going to play their first starting game," Stuart said.

"It's been wonderful to watch them enjoy the start of the week and their preparation going into this game."

With the cancellation of the 2020 NSW Cup because of the pandemic, it's been a long 2020 season for many of the "fringe" players, who have not played, or hardly played, a match.

"It's only the people in the bubble here, their families, who really understand what they've had to commit to this year," Stuart said.

"It's been a really, really tough year on those guys who haven't played but have had to train every session, do extras every session, and that's within every club."

"I've just been fortunate enough that this opportunity now comes up for those boys to get a game.

"I think if you could look at all the commitment and the responsibility they've had for the 17 that are starting each week, in how they help the starting team prepare. It's a great reward for them this week."

"But it's also a team that I'm putting out there that I know will do well."

The Raiders released vision of the team meeting on Tuesday where Stuart announced his squad for this week. Some of the debutants were left almost speechless, but the senior players were also very clearly excited for their young team mates.

"We are really a club here it's not about just the first grade team," Stuart said.

"This whole journey in the bubble has been about our squad. The boys I have sat out this week, through different reasons, have really got behind those boys - especially the younger guys - and enjoyed their week with them."

"The younger players that are getting the opportunity to play NRL now, certainly don't want to let themselves down."

"They have spoken this week about how it's important for them to play well in an early part of their careers."

"It's important that they get a good game of football in and get the experience of something they want to take further."

Stuart has given seven players their NRL debut this season. Blooding young players in the NRL is a favourite part of his job.

"That's the part of coaching which is very enjoyable," Stuart said.

"To be able to break news to debutants that they're going to get their first shot. To be able to give guys who've only had a handful of games a starting position."

"Matt Timoko and Harley Smith-Shields they have only had one start each and it's been off the bench. So they've had 20 or 30 minutes of football. So they're getting a starting spot."

"As a coach it's very comforting to see the hard work being rewarded."

Stuart has taken particular pleasure in appointing half Sam Williams as captain of the team on Sunday, with regular skipper Jarrod Croker one of the stars being rested.

Williams made his debut with the Raiders back in 2011, and has played 90 NRL games. He's just about the best back up half in the business, but he's been one player who has not played a game this season.

"It's nice to see how much it means to him," Stuart said.

"I believe it's a wonderful achievement to be a captain of the Raiders and it's an honour. I know Sammy takes that very seriously and he was very excited when it was announced."

"You've only got to see him at training to see the leadership in his direction and the way he controls play. He's listened to and he's respected."

"Everybody has some leadership qualities. Everybody has different types of leadership styles and Sammy is certainly in a class of his own there. He has his own style and he's very much respected by the other boys."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has previewed this weekend's clash against the Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... rks-match/

VIDEO: The Cronulla Sharks and Canberra Raiders get the opportunity to size each other up ahead of a likely elimination final the next week. Matthew Elliott and Jamie Soward preview the matchup: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/24/sha ... -round-20/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Sharks: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34252

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -v-sharks/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: September 24, 2020, 12:43 pm This has Round 1 2011 written all over it IMO.
Channelling Sammy's debut?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart weighed up top four chances before resting players

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart weighed up whether Parramatta were likely to slip up against Wests Tigers before making the call to rest nine stars against Cronulla.

"We're still going for the top-four spot if it was available," Stuart said. "But I'm not expecting Parramatta to get beaten. I've got to worry about our own journey and look after my players. It's important for me to look after my players and that's what I'm doing this week."

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1340528

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart cops NRL fine after letting himself down with water bottle throw

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is happy to cop the $10,000 suspended fine and says he let down his own standards when he threw a water bottle out of the coach's box window.

"I was well below standards in regards to what I set for myself, and also other coaches. I fully accept that and I'll move on."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Fearless Raider Sia Soliola returns after fearing the end: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/24/fea ... g-the-end/

Canberra Raiders raise almost $40,000 from charity auction of Black Dog Institute jerseys: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Ultima wrote: September 23, 2020, 11:18 pm
Colk wrote: September 23, 2020, 9:14 pm Found some highlights of Adam Cook on YouTube. Really nice kicking and passing game on him

Pretty impressive kicking and passing game. I'm guessing S.Williams has the conversion kicking duties but he doesn't seem like a poor backup in that either.

Interesting to see how that translates to a fullback role.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders defend resting stars as NRL rules out pre-finals bye

Canberra has defended the club's decision to rest their star players for the final round of the regular season.

"The only way to develop NRL players is by playing them in the NRL," CEO Don Furner said. "Your under-20s have a whole year of missed development. They go a whole season of training without getting a game. How do you develop them? How do you find out about them? How do you know if they are going to be NRL players? Where do they sit in your roster for next year?

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/raider ... 55yir.html

Canberra Raiders defend decision to rest key players against Cronulla Sharks: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... oxtm7vky3c

‘They must be recognisable’: Paul Kent slams Storm and Raiders for resting 20 stars: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d29cd93be9

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart as his team prepares for the clash with the Sharks. Nine News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/CwcM50BAvBy
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not sure why the club has to defend its strategy here. Over the past few years Robinson has rested his players leading into the finals on a rotational basis so they are fresh for the finals. Unfortunately we don't have 'Internationals' outside our top 17 to be able to do that in the same way.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

If we were playing at home, I think we'd be good things for the upset. Different kettle of fish playing away but I'm looking forward to seeing how the young blokes go. Particularly that three-quarter line. There's going to be some good opportunities at this club next season for talented three-quarters and the three young blokes playing in those positions tomorrow have no shortage of talent. They were all playing Jersey Flegg last year so they've come a long way in a short space of time. Looking forward to seeing them cut loose tomorrow afternoon/evening. How about another length of the field job with the game on the line, Semi?
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Ray170
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Ray170 »

Colk wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:13 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:42 pm
Colk wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:12 pm I don’t think we will win now but I’m interested to see how some of the young players go; particularly Timoko and HSS.

I think we may have rested a bit too many players and I have question marks over Subloo (don’t remember him from Flegg last year), Medlyn (who was quite good in Flegg last year but also quite small) and Adam Cook at fullback which is an important position. Maybe some others can give some thoughts/info/opinions on Subloo and Cook.

Conversely, if one or more of these kids have a great game then they might give themselves a greater opportunity next year
Incredibly, the first time we will see Adam Cook play in a green jersey will be in first grade. He’s still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

This is his Townsville Blackhawks profile:

Position Hooker
Date of birth July 7, 2001
Born and raised Townsville
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin
Biggest Career Achievement 2019 QLD Emerging Origin Squad, 2018 QLD Schoolboys, NQ Cowboys Development Player

Subloo was very good last year at five eighth, has good size about him. Officially 185cms and 90kgs.
Wow his profile reads well - Emerging Origin side suggests he has a few raps.

Couple of things

Would he our youngest debutant for a while? I think Wighton was about the same age when he debuted but I can’t recall many others who have been under 20 and debuted?
85kgs for a fullback is very small - hope he has some pace!
Normal position is hooker so if they are playing him at fullback must mean he has some utility value and football smarts
Thats Adrian Trevilyan's profile. He's the hooker from the Burdekin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ray170 wrote:
Colk wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:13 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:42 pm
Colk wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:12 pm I don’t think we will win now but I’m interested to see how some of the young players go; particularly Timoko and HSS.

I think we may have rested a bit too many players and I have question marks over Subloo (don’t remember him from Flegg last year), Medlyn (who was quite good in Flegg last year but also quite small) and Adam Cook at fullback which is an important position. Maybe some others can give some thoughts/info/opinions on Subloo and Cook.

Conversely, if one or more of these kids have a great game then they might give themselves a greater opportunity next year
Incredibly, the first time we will see Adam Cook play in a green jersey will be in first grade. He’s still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

This is his Townsville Blackhawks profile:

Position Hooker
Date of birth July 7, 2001
Born and raised Townsville
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin
Biggest Career Achievement 2019 QLD Emerging Origin Squad, 2018 QLD Schoolboys, NQ Cowboys Development Player

Subloo was very good last year at five eighth, has good size about him. Officially 185cms and 90kgs.
Wow his profile reads well - Emerging Origin side suggests he has a few raps.

Couple of things

Would he our youngest debutant for a while? I think Wighton was about the same age when he debuted but I can’t recall many others who have been under 20 and debuted?
85kgs for a fullback is very small - hope he has some pace!
Normal position is hooker so if they are playing him at fullback must mean he has some utility value and football smarts
Thats Adrian Trevilyan's profile. He's the hooker from the Burdekin.
Oops, sorry, pulled the wrong one off the signing thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ray170
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Ray170 »

Out of the three boys who came down from Townsville last year Adrian Trevilyan and Brad Schneider are 19 this year and Adam Cook is 20. Trevilyan is currently in the State of Origin squad and he played Queensland Schoolboys. Last year he got the Peter Sterling medal for National Schoolboys player of the year. The last three winners of that award were Tom Deardon, David Fifita, and Payne Haas. A few weeks ago Andrew Voss named Trevilyan in his greatest ever schoolboys team along with Benji Marshall, Nic Cotric, Craig Gower, and Matt Bowen etc. Trevilyan was also named in the Courier Mail's Queensland's top 10 schoolboys footy players (all codes) last year. He was previously signed with the Cowboys. It's all on google. He's currently coming back from injury. Brad Schneider is a halfback who captained Kirwan High to the NRL National Schoolboy Cup against Westfield Sports High in Sydney last year. Trevilyan was the hooker. Adam Cook went to Ignatius Park College in Townsville and played two seasons for the Townsville Blackhawks under 20s as a half/fullback getting player of the year last year.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Great info, Ray. Thanks for that mate

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

1992 wrote: September 23, 2020, 6:23 pm Sammy field goal in golden point. 😎
That'd be good.
But even better would be a disrespectful field goal while up by 30 with two to play.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Ray170 wrote: September 25, 2020, 9:41 am Out of the three boys who came down from Townsville last year Adrian Trevilyan and Brad Schneider are 19 this year and Adam Cook is 20. Trevilyan is currently in the State of Origin squad and he played Queensland Schoolboys. Last year he got the Peter Sterling medal for National Schoolboys player of the year. The last three winners of that award were Tom Deardon, David Fifita, and Payne Haas. A few weeks ago Andrew Voss named Trevilyan in his greatest ever schoolboys team along with Benji Marshall, Nic Cotric, Craig Gower, and Matt Bowen etc. Trevilyan was also named in the Courier Mail's Queensland's top 10 schoolboys footy players (all codes) last year. He was previously signed with the Cowboys. It's all on google. He's currently coming back from injury. Brad Schneider is a halfback who captained Kirwan High to the NRL National Schoolboy Cup against Westfield Sports High in Sydney last year. Trevilyan was the hooker. Adam Cook went to Ignatius Park College in Townsville and played two seasons for the Townsville Blackhawks under 20s as a half/fullback getting player of the year last year.
Yeah brilliant work. I have heard some of the raps on Trevilyan and I saw the Voss article. Hopefully he reaches that potential here. I liked the highlights from Cook - he looks like he has a good footy brain rather than just an athlete. Very nice kicking game in particular.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Cook won't be the youngest debutant for a while. Nic Cotric was only 18 and about 4 months when he debuted. Cook is not quite 20. Can't find his date of birth but he is 2000 birth, turning 20 this year.

According to the Townsville Bulletin we play the Newcastle Knights this week. Rest of the article is pretty good.

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/n ... 054c45acbe
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Nic Cotric plays his 90th match for the Raiders tomorrow. Amazingly it is only our 95th match since his debut.