All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders keen to lock in veterans Soliola and Rapana

Post by BadnMean »

Colk wrote: September 12, 2020, 6:01 pm
My argument was not due to Rapana’s play so much as Valemei. I’m not deathriding the kid by any means as I am quite impressed by his athleticism but without Rapana next year he will be playing first grade every week and I think he would benefit from playing the odd game and learning his trade in reserves next year

I do agree about our general lack of pace though
Aah right. Assuming in this scenario Don and Rick have chosen not to recruit; If it was Valemi Vs Oldy competing for wing, (Simo on other) then I could live with that. Valemi had some nice moments, but yes got caught out in position quite badly twice.

Thing is with a young player he might learn that immediately from this experience or quickly sort it with some focussed training- or maybe he'll just never quite get it. I agree, not scrapheap yet and he may sort that in a week.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Boomercm wrote: September 14, 2020, 6:38 am
afgtnk wrote: September 11, 2020, 1:10 pm With James and Rushton coming on I think we become overstocked in the middle, and I think the chances of having another year of middle forward injuries like we've had this year are slim. Given that I'm not sure why we're needing to extend Sia, instead of trying to push him off-field to another role.
Someone (Hors prob) might end up back on the edge. I'd be surprised if CHN makes the grade for us as an edge defender - I think he is destined to fill the bench utility last 20mins role. Hopefully I'm wrong and a good pre-season makes all the difference
No way Hors has the motor or agility to be a good edge imo.

CHN will be one edge. With a bit of training with the side and systems and understanding with the team he'll be ok. He came in cold this year after a ruined pre-season and then months and months outside of even any club system to train with.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

BadnMean wrote: September 14, 2020, 9:05 am
Boomercm wrote: September 14, 2020, 6:38 am
afgtnk wrote: September 11, 2020, 1:10 pm With James and Rushton coming on I think we become overstocked in the middle, and I think the chances of having another year of middle forward injuries like we've had this year are slim. Given that I'm not sure why we're needing to extend Sia, instead of trying to push him off-field to another role.
Someone (Hors prob) might end up back on the edge. I'd be surprised if CHN makes the grade for us as an edge defender - I think he is destined to fill the bench utility last 20mins role. Hopefully I'm wrong and a good pre-season makes all the difference
No way Hors has the motor or agility to be a good edge imo.

CHN will be one edge. With a bit of training with the side and systems and understanding with the team he'll be ok. He came in cold this year after a ruined pre-season and then months and months outside of even any club system to train with.
All true re CHN. Certainly hope you are correct.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We fans need to come to terms with the fact the CHN is not going to a "lock down" back rower... that's not his game... He's not Jonneh, he's not Whithead... he's not one of the best 2-4 backrowers in the world, which means he's a flawed player, his flaw is he will occasionally be caught out with a bad defensive read... it is what it is. But we're paying significantly less for what is still a pretty damn good footballer and will offer us something we dont really have, which is a genuine powerful hole hitter. Which i do think conceptually pairs nicely with George Williams.

He'll be playing the edge with Smelly. Hudson Young i think will be the primary edge back up and Tapine as an option too, both will do the job required of them but are clearly better middles and ideally that's where i'd play them.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm reserving judgement until he's been given a preseason and a good stint. Obviously he's not Whitehead or Bateman.
Our defensive systems are better than the dogs. Our coaching is better than the dogs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to lock down spiritual leader for one more year

The Canberra Raiders will reward club leader and one of the Green Machine’s most popular figures Sia Soliola with a new one-year deal for next season.

Soliola, 34, required 20 screws to repair seven facial fractures after a horror head clash with Dragons young firebrand Blake Laurie in round eight.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c95e08b19d
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: September 14, 2020, 7:57 pm We fans need to come to terms with the fact the CHN is not going to a "lock down" back rower... that's not his game... He's not Jonneh, he's not Whithead... he's not one of the best 2-4 backrowers in the world, which means he's a flawed player, his flaw is he will occasionally be caught out with a bad defensive read... it is what it is. But we're paying significantly less for what is still a pretty damn good footballer and will offer us something we dont really have, which is a genuine powerful hole hitter. Which i do think conceptually pairs nicely with George Williams.

He'll be playing the edge with Smelly. Hudson Young i think will be the primary edge back up and Tapine as an option too, both will do the job required of them but are clearly better middles and ideally that's where i'd play them.
Yeah I agree with that. A squad needs balance. Defence will improve somewhat with cohesion as well.

We also have O' Donnell in the edge backrow mix, he didn't do his prospects any harm when he came in this year as well. Capable of a few games if injury strikes again.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

So what's the deal with this David Riccio report on Fox regarding Rapana considering a move to Melbourne to expedite the move of Josh Addo-Carr to the Tigers?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Addo-Carr Wests Tigers move: Jordan Rapana emerges as key figure for Melbourne Storm

Wests Tigers will turn their attention to signing Canberra winger Jordan Rapana should the Melbourne Storm refuse to release Josh Addo-Carr at season’s end - reuniting Rapana with former Raiders teammate Joey Leilua in the Tigers backline.

The Storm are also considering signing the 31-year-old as a replacement for Addo-Carr - that could sway them to granting the “Fox” a release to join the Tigers.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... fdafc9934f
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2020, 6:25 pm Josh Addo-Carr Wests Tigers move: Jordan Rapana emerges as key figure for Melbourne Storm

Wests Tigers will turn their attention to signing Canberra winger Jordan Rapana should the Melbourne Storm refuse to release Josh Addo-Carr at season’s end - reuniting Rapana with former Raiders teammate Joey Leilua in the Tigers backline.

The Storm are also considering signing the 31-year-old as a replacement for Addo-Carr - that could sway them to granting the “Fox” a release to join the Tigers.

Ridiculous decision by the club if we don’t re-sign him. Without signing anybody, our starting backline ssns Rapana is CNK, Valemei, Croker, Scott and Simonnson. That is a really bad backline so it is obvious that we at least need some consistency in our backline. It is also a big ask for HSS, Timoko and Velemei with less than 10 games experience each to suddenly be our bankers
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Tigers and Storm reportedly expressing interest in Jordan Rapana

Post by zim »

We're re-hashing an old discussion but it'll come down to price. They'll have to offer him what we are plus interest to get him away from canberra.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

As much as i love the bloke and i am genuienly a big fan of his, we cannot go into a bidding war for him. If he is chasing $ then i will be happy to bid him farewell with the fondest of memories. I remember watching him for cook islands thinking he looked ok and the he got his chance and just grew in confidence. One of those players that makes you proud to support the club
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Colk »

FROG wrote: September 23, 2020, 7:43 pm As much as i love the bloke and i am genuienly a big fan of his, we cannot go into a bidding war for him. If he is chasing $ then i will be happy to bid him farewell with the fondest of memories. I remember watching him for cook islands thinking he looked ok and the he got his chance and just grew in confidence. One of those players that makes you proud to support the club
I agree with those sentiments but I’m thinking that he is not going to get s massive contract if Melbourne are after him as they only buy cheaper players to fill a hole.

If we are not going to re-sign Rapana the club seriously needs to pull their finger out otherwise we are running out with the worst backline in the comp next year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote:
FROG wrote: September 23, 2020, 7:43 pm As much as i love the bloke and i am genuienly a big fan of his, we cannot go into a bidding war for him. If he is chasing $ then i will be happy to bid him farewell with the fondest of memories. I remember watching him for cook islands thinking he looked ok and the he got his chance and just grew in confidence. One of those players that makes you proud to support the club
I agree with those sentiments but I’m thinking that he is not going to get s massive contract if Melbourne are after him as they only buy cheaper players to fill a hole.

If we are not going to re-sign Rapana the club seriously needs to pull their finger out otherwise we are running out with the worst backline in the comp next year
The Raiders want to sign him for next year... Riccio said on NRL Tonight talks with the Raiders were well advanced last week... and this news on Tigers and Storm interest came as a bit of a surprise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2020, 8:18 pm
Colk wrote:

The Raiders want to sign him for next year... Riccio said on NRL Tonight talks with the Raiders were well advanced last week... and this news on Tigers and Storm interest came as a bit of a surprise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That sounds positive. I think there’s potential in HSS, Timoko and Valemei but next year might be too soon to bank on them in every game.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Jordy has played better at centre than on the wing.

I'm in the "happy to have him around" camp but if he comes back asking for more this late into the negotiations he can take the Cotric route out the door. Bidding wars for 31 year old wingers is silly. We can get a kid or overlooked player in from somewhere for his $$$, plenty will shake out in the off season. We still haven't allocated all the Cotric $$$ either from what I can see (maybe lost some to upgrades?) so we might have a bit in the tank to look for someone decent too.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

be very surprised if he leaves, has said nothing but how Canberra is home and how happy him and his partner are being back in Canberra.
I can't see him going with a newborn baby around either

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Sounds like Jordy's manager is trying to boost his offer up a bit and/or increase the duration of it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2020, 6:25 pm Josh Addo-Carr Wests Tigers move: Jordan Rapana emerges as key figure for Melbourne Storm

Obviously hasn't seen the Tigers team list this week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Who cares? Jordy will be a premiership winning centre by then, he can go and play on the wing wherever he wants
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

As much as Jordy loves Canberra he might not be able to turn down the extra $$$ offered by the Storm or Tigers. He tried the Japanese Union thing for the extra $$$ because he missed so many years of footy due to his mission.
He will not likely get extra $$$ from the Raiders, as much as we love him.
Sometimes we have to do things that we prefer not to, because we have a family to take care of.
But one thing I would ask Jordy is what are his plans after footy and how would staying at the Raiders benefit that vs going to another club.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hard to knock back a 2 year deal if that's on offer.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I've expressed interest in going to Afghanistan to see the snow leopards. Doesn't mean there is even a slim chance of it going to happen. Not worried about this article.

Not sure if it is covid bubble related or what but there seems to be a lot of stuff going on in the media and social media at the moment to upset the apple cart at a few clubs. And this is pretty minor compared to the panthers and bronocs stuff
Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote:I've expressed interest in going to Afghanistan to see the snow leopards. Doesn't mean there is even a slim chance of it going to happen. Not worried about this article.

Not sure if it is covid bubble related or what but there seems to be a lot of stuff going on in the media and social media at the moment to upset the apple cart at a few clubs. And this is pretty minor compared to the panthers and bronocs stuff
Hahahahahahahaha never change, cat
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Storm in a teacup over Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana

The Canberra Raiders are confident of holding on to winger Jordan Rapana despite his manager shopping him to the Storm. It's unlikely the Storm will chase him, while it also appears unlikely he will head to the Tigers.

The Raiders have kept a spot open for Rapana, but the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the 2021 salary cap and squad sizes has meant they can't finalise a deal for him yet. It's a similar situation with veteran Sia Soliola.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: September 23, 2020, 8:48 pm Jordy has played better at centre than on the wing.

I'm in the "happy to have him around" camp but if he comes back asking for more this late into the negotiations he can take the Cotric route out the door. Bidding wars for 31 year old wingers is silly. We can get a kid or overlooked player in from somewhere for his $$$, plenty will shake out in the off season. We still haven't allocated all the Cotric $$$ either from what I can see (maybe lost some to upgrades?) so we might have a bit in the tank to look for someone decent too.
100%.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: September 23, 2020, 8:48 pm Jordy has played better at centre than on the wing.

Yep im on board with this too
Rapana's form at centre has surprised me, i didnt think he'd hold up at centre defensively after his first few cracks there where he was a disaster, but he's settled in really nicely now and has solidified that spot for us.

Happy to keep him, i think we will keep him but of course if an offer too good to refuse comes by, i'd wish him all the best
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Anyone know why we are mucking around and not just locking in Rapana?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

benda wrote:Anyone know why we are mucking around and not just locking in Rapana?
We still don’t know what the salary cap or the squad numbers are meant to be next season.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

We are also just about to enter the finals, we are a bit busy with other things
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:We are also just about to enter the finals, we are a bit busy with other things
Pretty sure the whole operation of the club doesn't stop cause we're playing finals

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Love Raps, but i think we've got 3 outside backs who are really talented and could be something for us. Would love to keep Raps and i think we will, but if not, i think it'll be ok
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I believe he adds a lot to our culture. Leads the team song. I think there is more to him than what we see on the field.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

BadnMean wrote: September 14, 2020, 9:03 am
Colk wrote: September 12, 2020, 6:01 pm
My argument was not due to Rapana’s play so much as Valemei. I’m not deathriding the kid by any means as I am quite impressed by his athleticism but without Rapana next year he will be playing first grade every week and I think he would benefit from playing the odd game and learning his trade in reserves next year

I do agree about our general lack of pace though
Aah right. Assuming in this scenario Don and Rick have chosen not to recruit; If it was Valemi Vs Oldy competing for wing, (Simo on other) then I could live with that. Valemi had some nice moments, but yes got caught out in position quite badly twice.

Thing is with a young player he might learn that immediately from this experience or quickly sort it with some focussed training- or maybe he'll just never quite get it. I agree, not scrapheap yet and he may sort that in a week.
Oldfield isn’t a starting NRL player. Valemei and Simonsson have shown glimpses but have a long development curve ahead of them. The risk is that neither of these players develop and we fall back into the NRL pack, for good. I’d prefer we go to market aggressively for at least one proven NRL winger, give us a balance between player development but also maintaining a competitive edge.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It doesn't even look like the Raiders are aiming to retain Oldfield.