Sharks 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Re: 2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Something about this team playing any team two weeks in a row makes me nervous, it's good we basically have two different sides running out against the Sharks (IF! we finish 5th)

I won't be kicking stones if we lose, then Parra lose, and then we miss out on the top 4. If we lose Saturday arvo, then Parra have a good chance of losing to the Tigers, as they could take their foot off the pedal knowing they have 4th place locked up. There is just no way of knowing without a sports almanac brought back in time from the future.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Robert the Bruce wrote:Something about this team playing any team two weeks in a row makes me nervous, it's good we basically have two different sides running out against the Sharks (IF! we finish 5th)

I won't be kicking stones if we lose, then Parra lose, and then we miss out on the top 4. If we lose Saturday arvo, then Parra have a good chance of losing to the Tigers, as they could take their foot off the pedal knowing they have 4th place locked up. There is just no way of knowing without a sports almanac brought back in time from the future.
Let me get the Delorian out...
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: September 22, 2020, 8:19 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 22, 2020, 8:07 pm I reckon the biggest news this week is BJ Leilua being dropped for the powerhouse centre combo of Chris Lawrence and Tommy Talau. Yikes.
And StGeorge finally drop Stink and Stinkmore.
Yeah, wow! They did too. Good stuff!!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Kryptonite wrote: September 22, 2020, 8:27 pm Hingano didn’t get a start?
Nah we're right for the wing at the moment, Semi and Nico need to get some more minutes in them.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Imagine Eels win and Roosters lose. 😂
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I'm surprised Starling isn't being rested and Baptiste getting a run instead
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Man that would have been great.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Finchy wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:05 pm I'm surprised Starling isn't being rested and Baptiste getting a run instead
I had the same thought but I don't think Baptiste is allowed to play due to the type of contract he has.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This is real vindication for afghk. While poor Aiden is sipping away on warm piss in the north of England afghk's boy is captaining the Raiders.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I like this from sticky, I think it is as much about giving the squad a chance for game time as it is about resting players.

These guys have trained hard all year and kept the bubble, some for no game time at all. I reckon they will be chomping at the bit to go out there and play.

If anything this brings a lot more interest to the game than our best teams rolling over the sharks 2 weeks in a row!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

LastRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 8:19 pm
RedRaider wrote:
Belcher#1 wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:44 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:26 pm Don't Sportsbet provide tens of millions of dollars to the NRL for something called 'wagering and sponsorship'. V'landys will not like like this and I reckon he will see it as a stunt. The Panthers are guaranteed first place and they have not gone down this track, naming their star 6, 7 and 9. Storm have rested Cameron Smith and a number from their backline but nothing like the Raiders. To be honest, I'm disappointed the Raiders have done this. Sticky has built a 'tough but fair' culture here and I don't see this as part of that. I wonder how many beers it took for this to seem like a good idea.
why would sportsbet be upset with the team Canberra name? They just take the market of their books, have their traders calculate the new odds and line then put the market back up. Happens all the time
It's about Clubs not putting the best possible team on the field in a Competition match. I don't see Vlandys or the codes major sponsors being happy about it. If you were running a major sponsorship and tipping millions into a competitive market I reckon you'd want the best available players on the park each week of the competition. In a recession where sponsorship dollars are at a premium I don't think it's a good decision by our Club.
I work for a company which sponsors another NRL club and I can say that the sponsors would not be to concerned. The NRL clubs have been very good to there sponsors this year, deferring payment obligations to 2021, increasing exposure where they can and going above and beyond during this tough year. We actually got increased exposure in the end as TV viewership rose by 21%! The return this year has been good.

We know as sponsors the longer into the finals series they go, the better exposure we will get for next year for free-2-air games and the like. Finally the last round of the season is generally a non event unless a team is fighting for a top 8 position. So resting players with the strategy to go deeper into the finals we like in this circumstance.

So Club sponsors would not be to concerned probably just Fox Sports, channel nine, Daily Telegraph and Telstra!
"Probably just?" These companies largely fund the NRL operation. In a time of restricted crowds the game needs sponsors to be on side more than ever.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Wow. Just saw the team list. Totally understand Ricky's thinking but kinda worry about the lads who will be playing against Fifita and that other brick **** from the Sharks.
Havent seen the Sharks list either and would not be surprised if they rest a few guys too since they will finish eighth no matter what.
I do wonder though how guys like Young will stand up, i.e. I hope to see a level of leadership from him.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Don't know if you have seen this video:
https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -v-sharks/

Makes me proud to be a Raiders' supporter. I think we will do well this weekend.

Some proud and happy guys in there, and team spirit is high. Frawley - debuted with Canterbury but this is it ! Sammy - chuffed to be captain. I love seeing the look on our regulars as well - they were so happy for the young guys.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:23 pm "Probably just?" These companies largely fund the NRL operation. In a time of restricted crowds the game needs sponsors to be on side more than ever.
They largely fund the NRL operation because they pay for the rights to show the competition, that is exactly what it is, a broadcast deal, not a deal to allow them to dictate how the game is run and operated at a club level. You talk about these partners as if the game would simply cease to exist without them

They need the NRL far more than the NRL needs them. If they're not happy, they dont have to be involved and the best media product in australia sport will find other partners and the world will keep spinning
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Who will kick goals this week. Good old fashion Kick off at training on Friday?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Get on over if you haven’t already for the team announcement video.

Very wholesome stuff.

Aside from obvious excitement about the debutants it would be fantastic to see great clubmen in Williams and Frawley rewarded for their contributions to the club.

Really hope we can win it so these guys Can savour the moment. Them propelling us to an unlikely top 4 spot would be a massive shot in the arm for the club.
Up The Milk
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

kona_dream wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:47 pm Who will kick goals this week. Good old fashion Kick off at training on Friday?
Captain Sammy
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kona_dream wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:47 pm Who will kick goals this week. Good old fashion Kick off at training on Friday?
That's exactly what it should be.
All 17 blokes going at it for the right... and here's the kicker (pun intended), the duties go to the LOSER of that competition, i want to see 'Namis toe poking them from the sidelines

(but really it'll be Sam Williams, he's actually a good kicker)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cheers for the link HKR!

Win it for Sammy boys!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Had to laugh when Brent Read said how unhappy Channel 9 would be with clubs like the Raiders resting so many key players.

Is this the same Channel 9 that basically never shows the Raiders, can’t pronounce their captain and gives the Raiders very little coverage and promotion.

Saturday’s Raiders side would still give the Channel 9 Broncos a good run for their money.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Channel 9 can be as unhappy as they like with clubs like the Raiders resting players in a virtual dead rubber before the finals in a game they're no broadcasting because the wooden spoon broncos need another prime time embarrassment on their 2020 resume...

Have a guess how many **** i give about C9's level of happiness?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:28 pm Don't know if you have seen this video:

Makes me proud to be a Raiders' supporter. I think we will do well this weekend.

Some proud and happy guys in there, and team spirit is high. Frawley - debuted with Canterbury but this is it ! Sammy - chuffed to be captain. I love seeing the look on our regulars as well - they were so happy for the young guys.
Gee Sam talks really well (for a footballer). Nailed on to join Sticky's staff once he's done I reckon.

Ata also pretending to get up to talk and Papa's laugh.... nearly pissed myself.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Danaman137 wrote:
KingDynamite wrote:
IBG wrote:It's ok guys I found out heaps more on Adam Cook.

https://www.raiders.com.au/teams/jersey ... adam-cook/

Mystery solved.

Looks a tad shady though, might be hard to spot at night...
I’ve heard he’s a shadow of his former self.
Well done Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty controversial move for him to do blackface for his profile picture

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:28 pm Don't know if you have seen this video:

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. These boys are going to have a real crack. Should be a good game.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Don't know if you have seen this video:

Agreed, great vid. Some serious nailbiting going on at the start.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

All the talk in the media is us getting beaten this weekend, but I think we’re a real chance on Sunday. The Sharks don’t read that well either and there playing there best team available.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Subloo is a big boy for a 5/8. If he's got speed to back that up he's going to cause problems.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I finally had a chance to check the ladder and I see we can't finish any worse that where we are...

I really don't care (like everyone else) about integrity and broadcasting rights - until they introduce rules, well just slurp it up. What I like about the team selection, and I'm sort of going to frame this in the negative, is this: there's an idea that team that rests a bunch of players just before the finals, and suffers a loss, somehow loses momentum and are therefore cactus from thereon. It makes some sense.

So what I like is that we've (well Rick has) gone "I've got 5 players with injuries, another five with niggles, let's just rest them all, because even then we might still use youthful enthusiasm to beat the Sharks and even if we don't we will definitely beat them the following week. When I bring back my ten actual first graders."

The "team" won't suffer any loss of momentum from losing this week, because most of them won't have been out on the park. It's about being hung for a sheep as for a lamb. And if we manage to steal the lamb, the Sharks are going to be dead sheep the following round. Or maybe the Eels lose and it'll be game on for the Panthers.

I also disagree with those journos, I reckon this is the sort of thing that fans love to watch. Or have they forgotten their stupid hype over "baby Broncos"?

I'm stoked and hyped, which I wasn't before. Possibly I'm easily excited...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Botman wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:33 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 9:23 pm "Probably just?" These companies largely fund the NRL operation. In a time of restricted crowds the game needs sponsors to be on side more than ever.
They largely fund the NRL operation because they pay for the rights to show the competition, that is exactly what it is, a broadcast deal, not a deal to allow them to dictate how the game is run and operated at a club level. You talk about these partners as if the game would simply cease to exist without them

They need the NRL far more than the NRL needs them. If they're not happy, they dont have to be involved and the best media product in australia sport will find other partners and the world will keep spinning
Rugby League as a game would go on. Largely thanks to local volunteers. But without the sponsors the players would not be as well paid and football operations including medical/rehab support would be greatly diminished. The game without sponsors would likely revert to semi-professional and not full time professional. Future sponsors would be no different in wanting the best players to be on display for competition rounds. Funding for future development would dry up without sponsors. Imo sponsors are vital for the ongoing health of the game.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm Bate Man wrote:All the talk in the media is us getting beaten this weekend, but I think we’re a real chance on Sunday. The Sharks don’t read that well either and there playing there best team available.
Hopefully we're a chance on Saturday too

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

-TW- wrote:
I'm Bate Man wrote:All the talk in the media is us getting beaten this weekend, but I think we’re a real chance on Sunday. The Sharks don’t read that well either and there playing there best team available.
Hopefully we're a chance on Saturday too

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
True Image
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

On the NRL360 cry from Kent. Channel Nine and Fox pay for the five match round on the weekend before origin, how is that any different? It's teams minus their best players but they will STILL give the Broncos the Friday night so everyone can watch the "Baby Broncos" run around.

Kent is wrong, people eat this **** up too, it's a change and make the result completely unexpected.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:22 pm Firstly, I'm really looking forward to this game. Watching the young blokes have a crack will be fun.

Secondly I totally understand why Stuart has done it. Let's say we were a 75% chance of beating the Sharks full strength and the Tigers were only a 40% chance of beating the Eels. That's a 30% chance of both results going our way.

Instead, Stuart has gone for the 100% chance of resting our key players for a week. At worst we should be playing the Sharks at home in week 1 of the finals with half the squad coming back after resting some niggles. That's an OK result.

Still, it's a gamble with the top 4 spot still potentially up for grabs. If the Eels win, and they really should, this will have been a good move by us.
That's a 30% chance of both results going our way and then a 20% chance we beat Penrith and actually get a week off. With-out winning the final we lose any chance we have at getting a break so really this is the only decent odds chance we get at a break.

Additionally I like our odds of winning:

V Sharks @home
V Eels (Penrith will destroy them)
V Storm/Roosters (Most likely Storm as I think they have the Roosters number still)
Grand final V Penrith/Roosters/Rabbits/Knights (Most likely Roosters as I can't see Penrith beating them considering Penrith have been facing garbage all year).

So beat the Sharks@home, beat the Eels away, beat the Storm at no-ones home because they are in QLD, beat the Roosters in the GF.
^ This run with a break at the start is a lot better than - V Penrith, V Eels, V Storm V Roosters with zero break.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

So what happens if Souths beat Roosters? Everyone is assuming we match up against The Eels In wk 2 of the finals...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders666 wrote:So what happens if Souths beat Roosters? Everyone is assuming we match up against The Eels In wk 2 of the finals...
Think you’re in the wrong finals system. Souths don’t play Roosters.

If Raiders finish 5th and win and Parra lose to Penrith then no other results matter. They play Parra.